Whole Grains and Health.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Whole Grains and Health.

Postby f1jim » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:27 am

While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Whole Grains and Health.

Postby landog » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Oh, I better eat some more! :lol:

Thanks, Jim!
landog

Postby frozenveg » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:19 pm

I am annoyed at how the pictures in the video didn't really show any whole grains, and implied that pancakes slathered in syrup and croissants are "whole grains". I doubt that the general public has a good grasp on what whole grains actually are. And note that the words "refined grains" were spoken while a bowl of white rice was shown.

Good short blurb of news-but not very helpful?
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby f1jim » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:50 pm

I agree. But these days you take what you can get from the media.
My guess is the author of this article wouldn't know a whole grain if they saw it.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby frozenveg » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:12 am

f1jim wrote:I agree. But these days you take what you can get from the media.
My guess is the author of this article wouldn't know a whole grain if they saw it.
f1jim

:lol:
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby figlover » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:45 am

However, every time the distinction is NOT made it hurts the case for grains in general. The whole low carb craze is predicated upon the idea that carbs are bad and grains are the worst culprits in the obesity epidemic (aside from sugars, which again, there's no distinction from whole fruits). It's mainstream to bash carbohydrate foods in general. Gets tiresome hearing low-level information (as in drawing dietary distinctions).
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby Taggart » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:07 am

There's nothing at all in the video that's new to me.

I've known about the importance of whole grains since the early 1970's. So we're talking like fifty years now.

Am I perfect? I can give a resounding NO to that one. A mix of intact grains (oat groats, large flake oats, coloured rice and pot or scotch barley) as well as heavily processed grains in my own diet, although I tend to lean more to the intact. Anything to help keep the hunger drive and the fat instinct at bay.
Taggart

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:48 am

Taggart wrote: Anything to help keep the hunger drive and the fat instinct at bay.

I don't often hear the term, "The Fat Instinct." It is/was a term we used (and wrote a book on) while I was at Pritikin.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Taggart » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:38 am

JeffN wrote:
Taggart wrote: Anything to help keep the hunger drive and the fat instinct at bay.

I don't often hear the term, "The Fat Instinct." It is/was a term we used (and wrote a book on) while I was at Pritikin.

In Health
Jeff

Yes, I know Jeff. I certainly don't want to imply that I invented the term, but it's in my thoughts all the time, whenever choices are called for along the lines of food.

A few years ago, I bought a book from a thrift store with the title "The Pritikin Weight Loss Breakthrough", by Robert Pritikin. It's still probably my favourite nutrition book that I never get tired off and go back to it time and time again. That's where I saw the term "The Fat Instinct" and that will probably go back to the time you were there since it was published in 1998. In fact it says right on the front cover, "5 Easy Steps to Outsmart Your Fat Instinct".

My favourite section in the book was the Better, Better Still and Best categories in food selection. Of course I always personally try for the best, but that may not always be possible in all situations and so I may have to step down to better still or else better even when I comes to grains.
Taggart

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:17 am

Taggart wrote: Yes, I know Jeff. I certainly don't want to imply that I invented the term,

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that and if it sounded like I did, I apologize.

I was just curious where you heard it as I don't hear it used much, unless you are a Pritikin Old-Timer. Some of the material in Doug's lectures cover similar territory (extinction burst, pleasure trap, etc).

Taggart wrote:but it's in my thoughts all the time, whenever choices are called for along the lines of food.

A few years ago, I bought a book from a thrift store with the title "The Pritikin Weight Loss Breakthrough", by Robert Pritikin. It's still probably my favourite nutrition book that I never get tired off and go back to it time and time again. That's where I saw the term "The Fat Instinct" and that will probably go back to the time you were there since it was published in 1998. In fact it says right on the front cover, "5 Easy Steps to Outsmart Your Fat Instinct".

My favourite section in the book was the Better, Better Still and Best categories in food selection. Of course I always personally try for the best, but that may not always be possible in all situations and so I may have to step down to better still or else better even when I comes to grains.

God to hear and I am glad you have benefited from it.

My time as Director of Nutrition there was an incredible experience, especially getting to work with a full medical team who had been doing this for over 2 decades.

Jeff
JeffN

Postby Taggart » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:17 pm

JeffN wrote:

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that and if it sounded like I did, I apologize.

I was just curious where you heard it as I don't hear it used much, unless you are a Pritikin Old-Timer. Some of the material in Doug's lectures cover similar territory (extinction burst, pleasure trap, etc).

Nothing to apologize for Jeff. No I'm not a Pritikin Old-Timer, and yes I have listened to a couple of Doug Lisle's lectures as well. Great stuff.

JeffN wrote:
God to hear and I am glad you have benefited from it.

My time as Director of Nutrition there was an incredible experience, especially getting to work with a full medical team who had been doing this for over 2 decades.

Jeff

Yes, I'm sure it was an incredible experience for you. Unfortunately, I was only made aware of Pritikin rather late in life, but better late than never.

Anyhow I do appreciate what you and Dr. McDougall do on this site. If I want ideas on what grains to eat all I have to do is read some of your own posts along with The Color Picture Book. I prefer to keep things simple in my own life, even when it comes to what foods to add or not add to my own way of eating.
Taggart

Return to The Lounge