Dr.Esselstyn accident

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dr.Esselstyn accident

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:52 am

patty wrote:I hope this isn't true because it would make people question his thinking.

Why? I think it's pretty amazing. Best decision he ever made? No. But it shows that he's got more energy and chutzpah than 99.9% of the 80 year old guys out there LOL. And I don't see how it reflects on his "thinking" (i.e., ability to make his dietary points) one bit!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby yvie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:08 am

RebusCannebus wrote:
lamazemama2 wrote:It seems like the extent of his injuries were downplayed at first. For a family in the public eye, they probably want to have some privacy.
Either that, or they don't want word to get out that an 80-year-old guy was drafting behind an 18-wheeler at 60 mph when things suddenly went south. And no, I'm not trying to make light of something serious; I'm very much marveling at what he was doing when he went down. Dr. Esselstyn occupies a special place in my heart.
Best wishes for a speedy and not-too-painful recovery!

+1 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Is this really what Esselstyn was doing? Was he really drafting behind an 18 wheeler at 60 mph? How do you know?

I am very interested in all bicycle accidents because I ride my bicycle everyday, and am interested in the cause of his accident.
I want to spend the last half of my life as healthy and vibrant as possible. Eating well and exercising are instrumental to having a good life. Thanks for the inspiration!
yvie

Postby danmc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 am

I ride a bicycle regularly too and, believe me, Lance Armstrong in all of his pharmaceutical glory couldn't draft behind an 18-wheeler going 60 mph. The very fastest cyclists, with thighs the size of tree trunks, can get up to just over 40 mph. Of course I've never seen Dr. Esselstyns thighs...
danmc

Postby yvie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:41 am

danmc wrote:I ride a bicycle regularly too and, believe me, Lance Armstrong in all of his pharmaceutical glory couldn't draft behind an 18-wheeler going 60 mph. The very fastest cyclists, with thighs the size of tree trunks, can get up to just over 40 mph. Of course I've never seen Dr. Esselstyns thighs...

Yes, of course, but I don't like when people start rumours like this one. I am interested in finding out what happened though, because I look up to him and am interested in the details.
I want to spend the last half of my life as healthy and vibrant as possible. Eating well and exercising are instrumental to having a good life. Thanks for the inspiration!
yvie

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm

FROM THE MAN HIMSELF VIA FB:

Dr. Esselstyn wrote:While it is impossible to thank each of you for your kind thoughts and good wishes, it is important for you to know what a powerful message they bestow in my journey to recover from my injuries. I was biking rapidly down hill, hit a rock, crashed and fractured my pelvis in 4 places followed by surgery with plates and screws to stabilize the fractures. Now all convalescence is in full motion and it is a waiting game for ultimate healing. - Dr. Esselstyn

So no 18-wheelers, etc. ;) Just good ol' fashioned biking (perhaps a bit daredevil for your average guy in his 80s, but Dr. E ain't your average guy!). :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby RebusCannebus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 pm

yvie wrote:Is this really what Esselstyn was doing? Was he really drafting behind an 18 wheeler at 60 mph? How do you know?
Of course he wasn't. I was joking. I was just trying to conjure an image of a plant-based superman. Which he pretty much is. :)
Peter
RebusCannebus

Postby Waingapu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:21 pm

This pelvis broken in 4 places is very serious.

Nothing like a broken hip. I'd easily take two broken hips instead of one pelvis with 4 fractures.
After a broken hip, especially in a 80 year old, they have them up and walking within a day or two (for the cemented versions).

Whereas with a broken pelvis they often keep a elderly person from weight bearing for 3 full months.
Even a fit 80 year old can greatly decline in 3 months off their feet.

Its not how fast you can be back on a bike, but whether you regain your full ability to walk. I'd say thats IT for bike riding except on a in-place exercycle. A recurrance is just too dangerous.

I wonder what his doctors will advise regarding calcium during his recovery.
With all the care he'll get and his prior fitness, he should pull through, but this is no minor matter.
Waingapu

Postby patty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Waingapu wrote:This pelvis broken in 4 places is very serious.

Nothing like a broken hip. I'd easily take two broken hips instead of one pelvis with 4 fractures.
After a broken hip, especially in a 80 year old, they have them up and walking within a day or two (for the cemented versions).

Whereas with a broken pelvis they often keep a elderly person from weight bearing for 3 full months.
Even a fit 80 year old can greatly decline in 3 months off their feet.

Its not how fast you can be back on a bike, but whether you regain your full ability to walk. I'd say thats IT for bike riding except on a in-place exercycle. A recurrance is just too dangerous.

Totally agree... this is no minor accident. Wishing for his highest good.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby yvie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:47 pm

ETeSelle wrote:FROM THE MAN HIMSELF VIA FB:

Dr. Esselstyn wrote:While it is impossible to thank each of you for your kind thoughts and good wishes, it is important for you to know what a powerful message they bestow in my journey to recover from my injuries. I was biking rapidly down hill, hit a rock, crashed and fractured my pelvis in 4 places followed by surgery with plates and screws to stabilize the fractures. Now all convalescence is in full motion and it is a waiting game for ultimate healing. - Dr. Esselstyn

Thanks, EteSelle.

Yikes. I wish him a full recovery. Like Waingapu said, the road will be a long one. Hopefully his pain is not too great and his morale isn't too grim. I'm sure it's hard to go from being fully active at 80 to needing bed rest.

Luckily he appears to have a wonderfully supportive family.
yvie

Postby noelalexis2000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:53 pm

Gosh, I hate hearing this he is such a sweet, kind person. Thank goodness he takes such great care of himself. We love you Dr. Esselstyn!!!!
noelalexis2000

Postby Melinda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 pm

Poor Dr. Esselstyn - I wish him the best, speediest recovery possible!
Melinda

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Dr. Esselstyne, Get better as fast as you can. You have no idea how many people you have helped who have never met you. You were the person in FOK along with Dr. Campbell who set me on this journey and I'll bet I have watched that movie over a dozen times so far. Anytime I felt that I needed to touch base I just put you into the DVD player and there you were - telling me what to do and how to get there. I believe you where the one who in referring to the "plant based docs" that they were all "going up the mountain but just using different paths" which I have borrowed in my "Traversing the Mountain" analogy. Your ideas lead me to McDougall so I thank you for that! Along the way I have crossed many paths (Fuhrman, Bernard, Isle and others) but your "NO OIL" rings out in my head every day when I have to make choices. Get well - you are one of my heroes who I am thankful to have had the opportunity to listen to through YouTube and DVDs. Thanks for letting me begin my journey to health.

Pudgypumpkin
Pudgypumpkin - who is working on becoming a Sleekleek!
One potato, two potato, three potato, four - I'm a McDougalling Starchivore!
Pudgypumpkin

Postby didi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:47 am

I had a heart attack last april and coded. In January, fell and broke my hip in one place (the femur, not the pelvis, and had a hemi artheroplasty. While I almost died from the heart attack, the recovery and rehab was a whole lot shorter and pain free (except for my ribs for a week or two because they did cpr before using the paddles) than the hip replacement and rehab and recovery period. And I didn't break it in four places. I am still in some pain and will have more months of exercise for recovery. But they got me up walking within the next day or two. I hope I never find out what dr. esselstyn is going through. It must be horrendous.

didi
didi

Postby patty » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:53 am

didi wrote:I had a heart attack last april and coded. In January, fell and broke my hip in one place (the femur, not the pelvis, and had a hemi artheroplasty. While I almost died from the heart attack, the recovery and rehab was a whole lot shorter and pain free (except for my ribs for a week or two because they did cpr before using the paddles) than the hip replacement and rehab and recovery period. And I didn't break it in four places. I am still in some pain and will have more months of exercise for recovery. But they got me up walking within the next day or two. I hope I never find out what dr. esselstyn is going through. It must be horrendous.

didi

You survived and Didi we have all learned from your experience. There are a lot of yets out there. Dr. Esselstyn's life story is one of strength, experience and hope.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby PurpleKale » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm so glad he's okay and recovering well! I just found out about this, I have a Google Alert for the phrase "plant-based eating" and there was a link in today's alert on Mark's Daily Apple where they're apparently bashing dear Essy for his weak bones. A plant-based eater has broken a bone! Clearly the vegan diet makes weak bones! Such junk. The guy is in his eighties and was bicycling fast down an incline, a fall from that state is could badly injure anyone. I'd love to see a paleo guru in his eighties even get on a bicycle - oh wait, there aren't any paleo gurus in their eighties.
PurpleKale

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge