Dr.Esselstyn accident

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dr.Esselstyn accident

Postby astronaut23 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:35 pm

PurpleKale wrote: I'd love to see a paleo guru in his eighties even get on a bicycle - oh wait, there aren't any paleo gurus in their eighties.

There aren't or probably won't be many of them...the diet they are following is probably cloging up their arteries every day regardless of what the bio markers on a blood test say about their cholesterol

I mean good lord they are eating like around 70 percent fat. They have fat and carbs flip flopped from what is healthy...10 percent carbs and 70 percent fat.
astronaut23

Postby PurpleKale » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Yep. A few years ago I had a big shift in my perspective when I realized that longevity mattered. I'd really gotten caught up in the debate, in each side having their points, and didn't know which one to choose, and felt that the argument was roughly equal (I absolutely don't feel that way anymore, plant-based eating/medicine has far more science backing it up). And then it hit me: who is still around? Who is eating their diet not as a twenty-year-old, but as a seventy-year-old who has been at it for a few decades? The only ones I could find were McDougall and Esselstyn and our plant-based folks. They're the ones who aren't just aging well, they're _aging at all_. The paleo folks don't have a lot of those. :\
PurpleKale

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:22 am

PurpleKale wrote:... I'd love to see a paleo guru in his eighties even get on a bicycle - oh wait, there aren't any paleo gurus in their eighties.

The "Paleo" gurus in their 30's and 40's can't fit on a bicycle.

Sorry, that was mean.

I'm not that sorry.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby AnnaSpanna » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:04 am

Hilarious!

...and tiny fonts are verra cool
AnnaSpanna

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Drafting off an 18 wheeler is an allusion to a scene from the movie Breaking Away. Improbable. A broken pelvis is no joke. In the 2003 Tour de france, Joseba Beloki took a horrible crash right in front of Lance Armstrong that broke his pelvis. He was never able to restart his career, even as a young elite athlete. Mark Sisson used to race professional Ironman and he still looks like he fits on a bike. But he's only fifty something, wonder what he'll look like in 30 years. Does Grok ride a bike? Are bikes Paleo?
vgpedlr

Postby anni m » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 pm

wooo hooo, what a ride though :eek: !! i'm a big fan of barreling down hills on my bicycle as well! but i am truly hoping for as quick and pain free recovery as possible for the good doctor. i also have the "no oil!" admonition ringing in my ears!
anni m

Postby ajhondrngal » Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Although I feel for Dr. Esselsyn and hope he gets better quickly, this is a great testimony of the plant-based diet. I think of him at 80 riding a bike and my dad at 78 barely able walk. That helps me keep going. I'd much rather be like Dr E.

I don't know how some of our friends eat, but I strongly suspect they eat pretty near plant-based since several of them are in their late 70's and still going strong. One guy looks 15 years younger than his 78 years and is much better off than my dad, too. Just makes me want to be more and more like my grandpa. He ate very well, and in his later years they found no buildup in his arteries. Oh, and he fell out of a tree when he was 92, and passed away at 96.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby patty » Thu May 02, 2013 9:47 pm

There are many centurions today. It is the quality of life, even with a wheel chair or a walker if your mind is sharp, you are winning in the appearance of the longevity game. Whenever I visit a friend in a convalescent hospital it is like a seeing soldiers on the front line. The world we see isn't the world that is.

The Dalai Lama shares about creating awareness of the dream body that can travel anywhere and everywhere. When he shares with his friend in the senate and mentions age the senator begins to panic. He shares we start going down hill about 50.

Bruce Lipton shares one cell can create 8,000 earths. The gift of eating plant based is disengaging in a over stimulated culture from processed foods. It is cleaning up our physical garden we reside in.

Dr. Neal Barnard shares about the importance of diet, exercise (mental as well as physical) and sleep. Dr. Esselstyn's has fallen into a portal of worlds he has never been able to conceive in the gross mind/body. He is a life changer in whatever consciousness he resides. We are very blessed to coat tail him.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby didi » Fri May 03, 2013 4:17 am

Bye the way, I think the movie FOK shows doctor E riding his bike and he was really zooming. Not exactly a leisurely ride to check out the scenery.

didi
didi

Postby pundit999 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:47 am

I owe Dr Esselstyn a lot. When I was wrestling with the decision to go through the angioplasty so urgently recommended by my cardiologist, I did a lot of online research and bought Dr Esselstyn's book. I eventually called him not expecting a call back. I had left a message that I had to make a decision fast and requested that he called me back.

I was surprised when I got a call from him within a few hours. I talked to him at length and he answered all my questions and shared his experience. Based on this conversation and my research, I decided against the angioplasty and started on this way of eating.

A year later, I have lost all the weight I needed to lose and have little signs of the disease. I do get some angina when exercising but it has been getting better over time.

Dr Esselstyn, please do not take unnecessary risks like riding a bike at high speed. This world needs you to be around as long as possible.
pundit999

Postby alias » Fri May 03, 2013 9:09 am

pundit999 wrote:I had left a message that I had to make a decision fast and requested that he called me back.

I was surprised when I got a call from him within a few hours.

-----------------------

That is very impressive. Even when you are a regular patient of a doctor, it's been my experience you can't get them to call you back. If you are lucky the nurse will call you back with a message.

Wishing you continued success on your road to good health !
alias

Postby bbq » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:19 am

Hoping for Dr. McDougall's speedy recovery:

https://www.facebook.com/DrJohnMcDougall/posts/10156060894874054
Is Dr. McDougall using a cane?
I heard he broke his leg recently
bbq

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:17 am

I know he broke a few bones a few years ago when he passed out when he had the flu, but AFAIK he never publicly said anything about any recent fractures.

Those who were at recent McDougall events, was anything said officially, or is all this just speculation?
VeggieSue

Previous

Return to The Lounge