Does Mamography Reduce Mortality From Breast Cancer.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Does Mamography Reduce Mortality From Breast Cancer.

Postby f1jim » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:41 pm

Well that isn't the conclusions you would necessarily come to if you follow my take. Here are my tidbits, and only my tidbits.
I would only have mammograms if I fit into some high risk profiles. Otherwise I would not bother. Same for men with prostate cancer.
If I did get a diagnosis with cancer I would immediately start on a plant based diet if I was not already on one.
I would consult with my most trusted medical advisors and personally get up to speed on the literature about the particular cancer and the available treatments and make my decision on that basis. I don't throw away any treatment possibility until then.
If I were terminal I would eschew most conventional therapies such as chemo, radiation, etc.
I hope that clarifies my position. I have not heard Dr. McDougall talk about never having chemo or radiation, or foregoing surgery. If it's his position it's his position.
Just as with catheteration of arteries, there just might be an important place for any treatment. I am sympathetic to anyone faced with these decisions.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby peasouper » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:07 pm

Dr McDougall advises removal of the cancerous lump with clear margins. No radiotherapy. If the lump returns, then removal of the lump with clear margins and then perhaps radiotherapy. He does not advise doing nothing in the case of breast cancer.

Sue
peasouper

Postby nayasmom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:50 pm

Do what you think is best for your health and life expectancy. That's the bottom line. No matter what someone else thinks, that person isn't walking in your shoes and therefore can not make your decisions for you.
If you feel you benefit from regular screening mammograms, then have them. If you think they're a waste of time and money, eschew them. That is your prerogative.
There's always going to be someone who thinks you're a flaming idiot for making whatever decision you make, so don't sweat it! :-D

Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Previous

Return to The Lounge