Feast Days

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Feast Days

Postby AnnaSpanna » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:15 am

Well that's fabulous! I hope your SIL takes this WOE home with her and spreads the word. :)
AnnaSpanna

Postby Natural Hygiene » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Some day in the future you will only crave starch and fruit when you are hungry :)

And, this is IMPORTANT. When you are craving things, you are often hungry. Hunger can be tricky when you change your diet. But think about it. Next time you crave a burger or chocolate, eat something. Yes! Eat a big bowl of oatmeal with some brown sugar, and then see you feel. Craving gone, trust me. It works. Make sure that you are satisfied, really, it is so important. Don't go around hungry. Whenever you feel a craving for something unhealthy, eat something healthy, even if u don't feel for it.

That is my best advice :)
Natural Hygiene

Postby Tatterhood » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Very true about the craving thing. Last night, I was craving pizza. When I order pizza I order it without cheese (bc I was a vegan before a McDer), and top it with marinara (which I'm sure has oil) and tons of veggies like spinach, mushrooms, and onions. Our local (we're in upstate NY) pizzeria has very bready pizza...one of my weaknesses! Anyway, it's a thing I've eaten when, you know, I needed a fix of sorts. So last night was a hot summer night and we'd just been out canoeing all day, and it was a pizza kind of night. But I resisted. Instead, I made reheated rice, re"fried" beans, used some yummy salsa (just to scratch that junk food itch) and had a wheat tortilla, and sweet corn...and lots of veggies. I was full, and went a little off the program with the tortilla, but still felt satisfied without really going off the rails. Craving totally passed. No craving today.

And yes, the craving hit because I was mainly super hungry at the time. And if it had been a sugar craving (less likely) I would have opted for fruit...usually banana, or something of the starchy variety.

Always important, I think, to have the starches made and on hand in the fridge or freezer, ready to go when you get home, or else! Just happy I happened to have the brown rice in the fridge, and canned no-fat refried beans ready to go.
Tatterhood

Previous

Return to The Lounge