Still nuts

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Still nuts

Postby Chile » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:29 pm

I appreciate the additional information regarding Dr. Fuhrman's published research from Dr. Campbell, especially in light of the popularity of Fuhrman's approach with folks moving towards a plant-based diet after watching "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" which prominently featured Fuhrman. I've promoted Dr. McDougall's starch-based approach on that forum (jointhereboot.com) but it often seems to fall on deaf ears.

It's also interesting that at least some of the folks at TrueNorth seem quite enamored of Dr. Fuhrman, although the center offers books/videos for sale from all the plant-based giants: McDougall, Campbell, Barnard, and Esselstyn. They don't hesitate to point out that Fuhrman was the very first intern at their facility. The information from Campbell and Esselstyn certainly sheds some interesting light on his character.
Chile

Postby SaraJames » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:38 am

From a very "big picture"perspective, Dr. Fuhrman - like Drs. Campbell, McDougall, Barnard, Esselstyn and many others has inspired thousands to eat a healthier, plant based diet, reverse life limiting disease, and improve their health and quality of life. They all agree on many points of nutrition, but disagree vehemently on others.
What bothers me about Fuhrman is his arrogance, and the extent to which his ego gets in the way of having a conversation with other professionals whose experience and research have made great contributions to this field.
In his drive to be on top, Fuhrman has failed to value the contributions of these find professionals, and in his approach of attacking others in a poor attempt to make himself look better, he has only defiled his own character.
SaraJames

Postby noelalexis2000 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:50 am

Maybe it has to do with the fact he was a competitive ice skater and can't control his competitive urges. Therapy? :lol:
noelalexis2000

Postby EllenR » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:08 am

SaraJames wrote:They all agree on many points of nutrition, but disagree vehemently on others

I disagree.

Dr Esselstyn, Dr McDougall, Dr Barnard, Dr Campbell, Pritikin, etc were all around a long time.

They all worked together for many years.

Long before Furhman arrived.

They may not have agreed 100% with each other.

But, they never disparaged each other.

Or disagreed vehemently publicly.

They were all respectful of each other.

Fuhrman drew first blood trying to make a name for himself.

They all ignored him for many years.

Looks like they all had enough of Furhman.

All the others still agree and still work together.

Ellen
EllenR

Postby Nutrition411 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:30 am

Hi Ellen,

I just returned from Dr. Fuhrman's Getaway (almost 400 attended). The food was great (and healthy) and the information was clear. Dr. Fuhrman spent hours answering all questions from the attendees.

Bottom line is we all agree that plant based, nutrient dense whole foods, are good and necessary. The experts may disagree on how to best accomplish that. For example, Esselstyn says heart patients must eliminate all nuts and seeds, while Fuhrman says doing so may compromise some heart patients? How about clinical research rather than defending strongly held opinions?

We need to work together and not fan the flames of dissent our common enemies will use against all of us!

Why won't Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. Campbell sit in a public forum with Dr. Fuhrman and rationally discuss science and research respectfully. Dr. Fuhrman has said he would be happy to do so. I am sure Dr. McDougall would be happy to moderate and get the truth out once and for all. Insults, character assassinations, innuendo and half truths are hurtful to all. It was great to see Dr. McDougall and Dr. Fuhrman have an honest and open debate (at the advanced study weekend). It was good to see that they both respect and honor each other, even if they disagree on some minor things.

Insulting Dr. Fuhrman (who has helped me and thousands of others eat our way back to health) is counterproductive, and hurts our cause. We need to support our 'giants' (and ourselves) to stick to science and not hyperbole.
Last edited by Nutrition411 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nutrition411

Postby veggylvr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:31 pm

How about clinical research rather than defending strongly held opinions?

Exactly. And, according to Dr. Campbell, Furhman has distorted the clinical research, and, as one of the most respected researchers in the plant-based community, Dr. Campbell would know. This isn't just a matter of debating strongly held OPINIONS. This is about Furhman seriously twisting facts, misrepresenting study results, and using Campbell's name inappropriately - to the point that Dr. Campbell feels he needs to distance himself from Furhman due to his lack of integrity.

Of course, Furhman is going to call this a personal vendetta or something, but I think all of us have way too much respect for Dr. Campbell (and Dr. Esselstyn) to believe that. After all, what else is Furhman going to say? I doubt he'd outright admit that he distorted the studies.

The fact his plant-based advice worked for you is a testament to plant-based eating, not to him personally. Furhman is obviously a liar, and he should be called out on that. These reputable doctors shouldn't need to cover for his behavior, or pretend to respect him, just to advance the plant-based cause. Despite having a civil debate, I would imagine Dr. McDougall doesn't really respect him, especially if he is aware of what he did to Dr. Campbell.
veggylvr

Postby Nutrition411 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Well Ellen,

There are always at least two sides to every story and usually more. You have not heard Dr. Fuhrman's, nor do I think you have any interest in doing so. Those interested in the truth will listen to both sides and make up their own minds.

By the way, have you read the study? Have you read Dr. Campbell's letter to the editor? Have you read the corrections which state that the errors did not affect the results?

If you want to believe that Campbell can do no wrong that is your prerogative. I choose to keep an open mind and would like Dr. Fuhrman to state his side. But given your obvious prejudice, I certainly can understand his not doing so. I am sorry for that as it takes away from all of us.
Nutrition411

Postby Dr. Fuhrman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:19 pm

It is good to see people interested in the fascinating nuances of nutritional science and while I do not post to these boards I do feel the need to set the record straight here. I am fine with disagreements based on science, but there is no need for personal insults and distortions with the purpose to demean. We are a community with shared interests facing many challenges in getting the word out. These attacks serve no one.

I never stated that one of Dr. Esselstyn’s patients died because he did not eat nuts. That claim is not true and I was never aware of that page on Dr. Esselstyn’s site before now. The potential contributory causes of death in such cases are not just difficult, but likely impossible to ascertain. I did say that there is evidence in the scientific literature that addition of seeds/nuts to a diet was shown to reduce the incidence of cardiac arrthymias and the risk of sudden cardiac death. Therefore, I mentioned the lack of nuts and seeds in the diet may increase such a risk in the fragile cardiac patient. I did represent, on that occasion in a lecture to my Getaway audience, (over 6 years ago), that my vast experience with thousands of vegan patients have included a few who came to me after developing arrhythmias on an extremely low fat vegan diet (without nuts and seeds). I have also reported a case where a man who developed a cardiac arrthymias resolved it when I adjusted his diet accordingly. I am concerned that if thousands of cardiac patients with advanced disease adopt an extremely low-fat protocol (without any seeds/ nuts) we might see some deaths from cardiac arrhythmias and we have no certainly that such a death has not already occurred. Dr. Ornish, Dr. Gregor, and other nutritional scientists and researchers I communicate with have had similar concerns about the issue of fatty acid deficiency in some vegans, that could be more susceptible to this, potentially promoting arrthymias, but this is a complicated subject, not appropriate to be argued here now. Certainly I do not think patients should fear eating a few walnuts if they have heart disease, and I have the right and obligation to explain my dietary recommendations and the reasons for them. For many years, I have extremely successful results reversing heart disease with cardiac patients adopting vegan diets. This is a scientific discussion of interest and a disagreement of interpretation of science, not a personal attack on anyone. It should not be twisted into a personal attack against me either. There is a huge difference between questioning the potential risk of a dietary recommendation and stating emphatically someone died because of it.
My nutritional advice may differ from others posting here, and differ from other professionals in this community, but this is not the appropriate place for me post my view, defend or elaborate on my case histories and years of clinical experience, however, I think that before these attacks continue an effort should be made to clarify the facts, rather than perpetuate personal attacks, especially when they are not accurate.

My paper on vegan athletes was written and published years before I added taurine to my supplement. The insinuation that my recommendations for competitive athletes are based on anything other than the performance value for the athlete is ridiculous.
These attacks on my character are not uncommon in these forums, but I have chosen not to respond to them, but this thread goes way too far. Notably, Dr. Campbell’s battle of words with me is very unfair. I have offered to discuss his concerns and correct his erroneous misinterpretation of events many times. Many others in our community have offered to the same, and open a healing dialog. Unfortunately Dr. Campbell has refused all of us and has persisted in personally attacking me. The study in question was a collection of patient’s charts from my office many years ago. The initial number of consecutive charts I transferred to the researchers was 100, then they narrowed them down first to 62 and then to 56 using various inclusion criteria, so the numbers change, and then even fewer that continued for the full two years. Not only did I have nothing to do with the data collection and statistical tabulation of those results, but Dr. Campbell had the access to and maybe even an obligation to confirm those numbers and calculations, not me. That was certainly not my role in the study. When an error in the criteria for inclusion came up, many years later, it changed from the n of 19 to 18 at two year follow up, it still showed all but one person had significant weight loss with a mean weight loss of 37.6. The lead researcher from the University of San Diego took responsibility for the error and wrote a correction to the journal and also stated, “Therefore the conclusions of the article remain as originally stated, being that the high nutrient density diet has the potential for leading to significant and sustained weight loss and reduction in cardiac risk.” Dr. Campbell then removed his name from the study. My report of an average 53 pounds of weight loss was consistent with the results of the study, until the error was found, and since that calculation error was reported I have never made such a claim again and removed all reference to it, in my control. Dr Campbell’s inflammatory statements insinuating academic fraud are 100 percent unjustified and wrong. I was not involved in the calculations and numerical data and had nothing to do with them (I only supplied my patient charts to the researchers). I also had nothing to do with Dr. Campbell’s name being used in the movie mentioned and did not even know that his name was visible there until reading it here now. I was not consulted on what they used or did not use in that movie, I just did my part. He is incorrect on numerous other points above as well. Certainly, I did not intend to offend him or anyone else.

Character assassination has no place on these boards. I hope Dr. McDougall does not support this here. It is fine to disagree, on interpretation of science, but we should stick to logic and science and refrain from the personal vendettas and judgmental distortions. Certainly, I have no interest in continuing to post here and think the personal attacks against me should stop. Certainly there is nothing wrong with continuing to question the logic behind my interpretation of nutritional science and my experience and disagree. Remember though, we are all fighting a similar battle and trying to help and motivate others to eat healthier and get healthier.

Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
Dr. Fuhrman

Postby MichaelGregerMD » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know I corrected and updated my video in response to Jeff's article: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/nuts-an ... -evidence/

Please never hesitate any of you to email me at [email protected] or call my cell (240-252-8078) anytime for anything--especially if you think I got something wrong so I can correct it!

Michael Greger, M.D. FACLM
DrGreger.org
NutritionFacts.org
twitter.com/nutrition_facts
facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
subscribe at bit.ly/nutritionupdates
MichaelGregerMD

Postby RichardK » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:26 am

I held Joel Fuhrman MD in great respect, although I cannot recommend his approach with an anti-starch tinge to anyone who is athletic and needs more than 2600 kals per day.

After I read Campbells post and find out that Fuhrman has teamed up with obese low-carb doctors and other paleo-diet pushers spreading their appeal-to-nature/primitivism fallacy nonsense I must say I am in shock.

Is this really where Fuhrman's head is?

William "wheatbelly" Davis, Loren Cordain, Joel Fuhrman, etc
http://www.trackyourplaque.com/experts.aspx
RichardK

Postby talkingmountain » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:13 am

RichardK wrote:After I read Campbells post and find out that Fuhrman has teamed up with obese low-carb doctors and other paleo-diet pushers spreading their appeal-to-nature/primitivism fallacy nonsense I must say I am in shock.

Is this really where Fuhrman's head is?

William "wheatbelly" Davis, Loren Cordain, Joel Fuhrman, etc
http://www.trackyourplaque.com/experts.aspx

A 3-month membership to the track your plaque "foundation" only costs $70 (on sale NOW for $40) to $ $150 a year! What a deal! And I'd be willing to bet you money that the testing itself is somehow tied to money making. (Doctors do not, unfortunately, have to disclose when they have financial ties to a laboratory or testing center to which they refer you).

As to their what their program entails this excerpt from their website gives a good peek (boldface emphasis added):

[ FAQ ]   "I really don’t want to take prescription medication. Can I still succeed in controlling my plaque?"

[answer] This really depends on your mix of causes of coronary plaque.

For instance, let’s say that metabolic syndrome (with low HDL, small LDL particles, high inflammation, high blood pressure and borderline high blood sugar), vitamin D deficiency, and high LDL cholesterol are your combination of causes. You follow the Track Your Plaque nutritional program, take our recommended supplements, follow all the recommendations in our Lower Your Cholesterol Naturally report to lower LDL, apply a conscientious exercise program and lose excess body weight to shut-off metabolic syndrome. You also achieve our 60–60–60 lipid goals. You may indeed succeed without any prescription medication.

Or, perhaps your mix of plaque causes includes genetic patterns that don’t respond well to lifestyle. This is where medication can provide advantage. Conditions like familial heterozygous hypercholesterolemia (very high LDL cholesterol) and familial combined hyperlipidemia (high LDL cholesterol and high triglycerides), both genetically determined, usually do better when statin drugs are included.

On the other hand, we do have many people who’ve avoided or minimized their need for medications through significant lifestyle efforts. Conversely, we’ve had many people who have conducted very ambitious lifestyle programs but were battling substantial genetic patterns. So it all boils down to how responsive your individual panel of causes are to lifestyle, nutrition, and nutritional supplements, and whether you harbor any genetic patterns that may be difficult to control without the help of a medication.
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby veggylvr » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:36 am

As for Dr. Fuhrman writing: ""Nuts induce weight loss, especially when substituted for high carb calories like white potato. It is fascinating that they increase the absorption of micronutrients and phytonutrients from other foods while at the same time decreasing the absorption of macronutrients from other foods."

Dr. Fuhrman is making up the fact that substituting nuts for potatoes produces weight loss, unless he means French fries. But not whole potatoes, just another thing he is making up. There's a study that showed that diabetic numbers were slightly improved when nuts were substituted for a junky muffin, that's the only "carbohydrate" that's been tested.

This is the kind of distortion that we here on this board find to be directed at Dr. McDougall. Why do you need to specifically malign the potato, Dr. Furhman? Especially when you are aware of how successful Dr. McDougall's starch-based program has been for so many people for decades. He hasn't been criticizing your program.

“And then Dr. Fuhrman makes another leap, that if there is an alleged “lack of absorption” in the vegan diet, this lack must inevitably contribute to some potential ill health of vegans, down the road. (Again, he's just making that up, no evidence for it.)

To put Dr. Fuhrman's theory another way, a way he might see as most effective: “You won't absorb enough nutrients on a McDougall diet, so you will end up dying prematurely as a result! And the solution is to eat my particular brand of diet, buy my books, buy my supplements, add nuts, follow all my instructions, and then you will absorb more nutrients and live longer!”

Can't you see how your comments seem like veiled attacks of the McDougall program? Yet, now you insist that you're trying to get along with the other doctors.
veggylvr

Postby f1jim » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:52 am

Wow
This has been an incredible thread and quite the roller coaster ride. I have received PM's from the entire spectrum of thought. Some believe they have gotten more out of this thread than any other ever posted. Some that believe the thread should be removed because of the level of animosity. Other than a few words here and there I believe that while it was a heated discussion it was an informative discussion with all sides getting in their points. So where do we go from here? A lot depends on what your feelings were before this thread started. If you found great value in Dr. Fuhrmans ideas and work you will probably continue that belief. If you were suspicious of his motives that probably won't change either. Discussing other doctors ideas on a forum dedicated to advancing anothers is always going to be a balancing act. It's my understanding our own Dr. McDougall gets bashed quite heavily on Dr. Fuhrmans site. While I am sorry to hear that I do hope the discussion focuses on issues and substance. As was mentioned, Dr. McDougall has invited Dr. Fuhrman to share his ideas at the Advanced Study Weekends where Dr. McDougall has invited others that don't necessarily share his viewpoints. It's my gut feeling Dr. McDougall believes Dr. Fuhrman is working toward the same goals even if they differ on some nutritional points.
While the temperature in this room has warmed considerably I think it's still been a discussion worth having. I believe it will come up again as discussing the fine points of diet and nutrition will always have people looking from different perspectives. Our mission on these boards is to explain Dr. McDougalls perspective and the reasons for his recommendations. In that context we sometimes let the discussions run a bit wide as Dr. McDougalls ideas don't always run parallel to the ideas of other nutritional leaders. How ans why they differ makes for some lively interactions. I would urge restraint on the specific words used to describe other doctors and be respectful of their character. Let the facts speak for themselves. Sharing those facts is fair game. Interpreting them is still an art.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby patty » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:44 am

80% of health care is from heart disease. I love not having to eat nuts and seeds for health. I love the satiety from starch. I love the possibility of living healthy on or less than 3.00 a day.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby happilyvegan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:13 pm

I am glad Dr. Fuhrman posted a response here. Like someone else wrote earlier, there are two sides to every story and I think it's important that we have his side.

I have had terrific success with Dr. Fuhrman and have been to some of his programs (I've been to McDougall's as well). I hate to see people ragging on him. It is so easy to misinterpret anyone's words if you don't experience them first hand. My health stats are stellar, my weight is ideal (not from good genes, trust me!) while eating several ounces of nuts a day and of course starch, too, and I believe he has as much integrity as any of the other fine doctors doing this important nutrition work.

I am grateful to a number of these doctors for opening my eyes to the value of nutritional medicine and believe they all have an important contribution to make.
happilyvegan

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge