Are Americans eating healthier?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Are Americans eating healthier?

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:34 am

f1jim wrote:Jeff I saw this report this morning. Anyone eating a truly healthy diet knows the general public overrates their diet significantly. A lot of this is the human trait that we remember our great healthy choices and minimize our poor ones.
We have to first start out with knowing what is a healthy diet. Since most western countries don't really have a clue it would be near impossible for their residents to properly evaluate their own diet.
Even among those of us that have been taught what is healthy, it's hard to be really objective when thinking back on our own choices.
We all need the constant reminders to stay on track. Multiple times a day we make choices that impact our health. Yet, I can barely remember what I ate yesterday. It's a struggle to stay on track in this crazy world today. It really helps to hhave like minded people around us.
f1jim

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JeffN

Postby MINNIE » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:18 pm

This came out today. It is part of the problem, people have no clue how unhealthy they eat.

June 14, 2022
Americans Think They Eat Healthier Than They Really Do
https://consumer.healthday.com/health-a ... 69878.html

Not only that, most people I know are not even aware of how unhealthy they really are.

Statins, blood pressure drugs, etc. are so normalized now that people don't even think they are sick! It's just a rite of passage at a certain age.

Nothing other people say or do is going to influence my diet or lifestyle. I will just shut up and keep eating my taters, beans, greens etc.

But I still get indignant, irate, saddened, frustrated and just plain astounded at how misinformed Americans are about what "health" can actually mean. Reading through this thread is a good reminder that I can only control myself and my own habits.
SADD -but true :\ !
MINNIE

Postby JeffN » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:11 am

Globally, Diets Are Not Much Healthier Today Than They Were 30 Years Ago - Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy researchers detail the eating habits of adults and children in 185 countries over three decades

by Joseph Caputo
September 19, 2022

https://now.tufts.edu/2022/09/19/global ... -years-ago

“Intake of legumes/nuts and non-starchy vegetables increased over time, but overall improvements in dietary quality were offset by increased intake of unhealthy components such as red/processed meat, sugar-sweetened beverages, and sodium,

“The world’s highest scoring countries were Vietnam, Iran, Indonesia and India, and the lowest scoring were Brazil, Mexico, the United States and Egypt.”
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:10 am

JeffN wrote:
This came out today. It is part of the problem, people have no clue how unhealthy they eat.

June 14, 2022
Americans Think They Eat Healthier Than They Really Do
https://healthlibrary.brighamandwomens.org/RelatedItems/6,1657469878

"For the study, the researchers asked participants to rate their diet as excellent, very good, good, fair or poor. Folks also completed 24-hour food questionnaires. Then, the researchers compared answers to see how well responses to the two exercises matched up.

In short: They didn't.

Of more than 9,700 people, roughly 85% were off base when asked to rate the quality of their diet, and almost all overestimated how healthy it was.

"They perceived their diet as very good when in fact their diet was poor,".

This is now formally published

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36325649/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Previous

Return to The Lounge