A sad statement about Health misinformation

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: BUNBUNLVR ?

Postby BUNBUNLVR » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:06 pm

Sunny wrote:How do you part of another post on to the post you are writing :?:
Do you use the "quote thingy" :?: I am not the most qualified person when it comes to computer stuff :-D
Thanx for any help you can give :D

Yes, you use the "quote thingy". Then you can put your cursor anywhere you want inside that person's post and delete parts you aren't responding to, place your cursor below the quote, and write your response.

Sunny, it feels so strange to be asked a computer question and know the answer to be able to help someone else. I'm quite computer illiterate. I figure stuff out by trial and error. That's how I figured out how to use the "quote thingy". :)

I'm glad I could help! :)
~BUNBUNLVR ;)

I've been a McDougaller for over 3 years now and I feel great...physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually...McDougalling influences every part of life in a positive way! :)
BUNBUNLVR

Postby Sunny » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:18 pm

BUNBUNLVR wrote:
Sunny, it feels so strange to be asked a computer question and know the answer to be able to help someone else. I'm quite computer illiterate. I figure stuff out by trial and error. That's how I figured out how to use the "quote thingy". :)
By Golly I think I got it !!! Thank you so much. Once someone helps me I can usually retain the info, I did have quite a time with the avatars and then Groundhogg put up a link and life was good :D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Okay almost there ....

Postby Sunny » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:20 pm

I wonder why I don't have a box around it :?:
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Re: Okay almost there ....

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:57 am

Sunny wrote:I wonder why I don't have a box around it :?:

Did you hit the "quote" button in the upper right hand corner of the message or the "reply" button at the bottom of the page?

When you use the "quote" one, the previous message will have the previous message inside the commands - I can't write them out exactly as the board has it but picture brackets [ ] around the word "/quote" and all that jazz.

When you hit reply, none of the old message is in the white box you type your message in and you have to copy and paste it from the old message.
VeggieSue

Postby DianeR » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:48 am

I don't know how much of it is that people don't know any better or people want to believe what they want to believe and so refuse to know any better (or believe it). Selective perception and memory, cognitive dissonance, call it what you will.

I have a good friend who used to be the same weight as I was; I would say high but still in the normal range. I started McDougalling at the same time she started a "carbohydrate addicts" diet. She insisted that she would just gain weight on low-fat vegan and her diet was working well. In the intervening years I have gotten skinnier and skinnier and she has gotten really big. But this isn't enough for her to change what she is doing -- she would have to admit she was taken in by something that was simply wrong.

I admit I haven't heard the one about calories or fat leaving as a food is cooked. (Well, maybe if you burn it to a crisp as oily smoke billows forth ...) And I am appalled to hear about restaurants adding fat to things to keep them moist. Ugh ... no wonder I was able to lose my last bit of weight this year when I started going to restaurants less. I wonder if there is any way to avoid the added fat? (Of course, my husband likes to say that added fat doesn't count if you don't know it is there ... but I don't think he really believes this, anymore than he believed it years ago when he insisted that carrot cake was fine because it was full of carrots!)

I don't know if I can call myself a homeschool mom any more or not. My baby is in college now. But I still talk to her all the time, help her figure out things, and the like, and haven't cut myself off from my homeschooling boards. It is too, too addictive to give advice to people!

I can't say I was ever a demonstration type, though. I never would have thought about setting different types of chips on fire and watching them sizzle. You have to wonder about people who don't believe the stats right on the package. Why would a company list fat that was NOT there?
DianeR

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:01 am

"I can't say I was ever a demonstration type, though. I never would have thought about setting different types of chips on fire and watching them sizzle. You have to wonder about people who don't believe the stats right on the package. Why would a company list fat that was NOT there?"

I think the people with the "no cholesterol" stuff who I was trying to convince are not listening to me because I don't appear to be taking my own advice. I haven't lost any weight in the past two years, in spite of sticking with the 12 day program most of that time. Hopefully, now that I'm doing MWL and figuring out what I should have figured out years ago, I will lose and they will be impressed enough to listen.

In all fairness, they have been told my their doctor that Adkins is the best diet for them. They love meat, love fried food, so why shouldn't it be the best? :cry:

I think this is the most distressing thing about the way Dr. A promoted his diet, now there is actual research showing up in medical journals that show it is "safe" and it "works". My own doctor who I thought was really up on the latest now is spouting the Adkins line, and it makes me want to give up on the medical community altogether. As a RN I used to believe everything I was taught, I know it takes a lot to change. But, I did it and I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree so I don't see why these highly intelligent people can't see it. Maybe it's that they don't have the time to research stuff the way I have the past few years? I don't know.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Malva » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:48 am

Mrs. Doodlepunk wrote:"I think this is the most distressing thing about the way Dr. A promoted his diet, now there is actual research showing up in medical journals that show it is "safe" and it "works".

THAT's usually the only factor considered in recommendations of this type: it works.

They don't consider the long-term effects. No long-term, 20 year plans with these people. Their consideration is that it gets the weight down now, and we'll deal with maintaining by simply dieting whenever there's a problem. Kind of like their philosophy in regard to drugs. Give it to them now, and deal with the side-effects later. :-(

McDougalling is NOT a short-term diet. It is a long-term, lifestyle change.
This is what you do for the rest of your life. Some people just don't grasp that concept.

(Many folks prefer: I'll do this for a little while so that I can go back to doing what I did before I got in trouble. They desperately hang on to the hope that they can return to their addictions.)
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby BUNBUNLVR » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:36 pm

Sunny wrote:BUNBUNLVR wrote:
By Golly I think I got it !!! Thank you so much. Once someone helps me I can usually retain the info, I did have quite a time with the avatars and then Groundhogg put up a link and life was good :D

You're very welcome, Sunny! :) I'm glad you got it. :thumbsup: I'm the same way. I usually retain once someone helps me. Isn't this new board fun?! We have so many more options. :-D
~BUNBUNLVR ;)

I've been a McDougaller for over 3 years now and I feel great...physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually...McDougalling influences every part of life in a positive way! :)
BUNBUNLVR

Postby Porcelain Interior » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:40 pm

The new board is great. I was so glad when it got switched over! It seems cleaner and easier to me!
Porcelain Interior

Re: Okay almost there ....

Postby BUNBUNLVR » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:41 pm

Sunny wrote:I wonder why I don't have a box around it :?:

That happened to me too the first time I tried to use the "quote thingy". I think it was because I had accidentally deleted the commands at the beginging and/or the end of the person's quote. As long as you don't delete that part of the person's quote, I think the box will be around it when you submit your post.

Sorry I just responded to your post. I logged off last night after sending that last message to you and was gone all day today. This is the first chance I've had to get on the computer. :)
~BUNBUNLVR ;)

BUNBUNLVR

Postby BUNBUNLVR » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 pm

Porcelain Interior wrote:The new board is great. I was so glad when it got switched over! It seems cleaner and easier to me!

I agree, Porcelain Interior! :) However, I must admit I was a bit intimidated at first since I'm not the most computer literate person. After a little bit of looking around on the new board I started to really like it. I rarely posted on the old one, even though I lurked often over the past few years. Now I'm enjoying being part of the conversations! :-D
~BUNBUNLVR ;)

BUNBUNLVR

Hi BUNBUNLVR~~~~

Postby Sunny » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:05 pm

Thank you again for your help :-D

This board is so much fun :) It seems like there are more people here than the old board. I think that is wonderful :-D The more the merrier :lol:
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Re: Hi BUNBUNLVR~~~~

Postby BUNBUNLVR » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:07 pm

Sunny wrote:Thank you again for your help :-D

This board is so much fun :) It seems like there are more people here than the old board. I think that is wonderful :-D The more the merrier :lol:

You're welcome, Sunny! :)

I agree, I'm really enjoying this new board and everyone on it!! :-D
~BUNBUNLVR ;)

BUNBUNLVR

Previous

Return to The Lounge