Question

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question

Postby Determined » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:09 pm

When I went to exercise today, the trainer told me that if I eat protein (she suggested yoghurt, cheese, meat, etc.) within 15 minutes of exercising that I would increase the effectiveness of the workout by up to 40%. If all food contains protein, could I not just eat ANYTHING and have the same benefit?
Determined

HUH !!!

Postby Sunny » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:25 pm

Did you ask her what she meant by that :?: Is she making a connection between animal protein and building muscle :?: I have never heard of eating protein after a workout to make it more effective :?
Does she only suggest animal proteins :?: Sorry for all the questions, I am just curious :paranoid:
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Exercise & Proteins

Postby Determined » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:28 pm

She said that since protein builds muscle, it increases the effectiveness of the workout. She only listed animal proteins. She also said that stretching after exercising increases the effectiveness of the workout by up to 19%.
Determined

Postby Sunny » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:47 pm

I know that proteins are associated with muscle but I do not believe that you have to eat it within a certain time after working out. :? I would be asking for some scientific proof :paranoid:
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Postby Donna R » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:30 pm

do a search on google for

vegan body builders

and you can tell her a thing or two!

or just ignore the bad advice, lol!
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby fiddler3 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:13 pm

Hmmm. I always like to know a person's references when they cite statistics. Have you tried looking for any support for what she says on, say, google scholar?

fiddler3
fiddler3

Postby Sunny » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:24 pm

I was also thinking of Carl Lewis, the Olympic athelete, here is an exerpt from an article on found online @ Earth Save International:

"I met Dr. John McDougall, a medical doctor who teaches about the link between good nutrition and good health and was promoting his latest book. Dr. McDougall challenged me to make a commitment to eating a vegetarian diet and then to just do it."

Here is another paragraph from that same article in regards to protein:

(In the spring of 1991 – eight months after beginning to eat vegan – I was feeling listless and thought I might need to add protein from meat to my diet. Dr. McDougall, however, explained that my listlessness was due to my needing more calories because I was training so many hours each day, not because I needed more animal-based protein. When I increased my calorie intake, I regained my energy. I was drinking 24 to 32 ounces of juice a day. I ate no dairy products. And I had my best year as an athlete ever! )

The key words here are :needing more calories not animal based protein!!
Maybe it's time you educated your trainer!!! :D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Return to The Lounge