Dr McDougall's interview with meat-eater Jordan Rubin

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dr McDougall's interview with meat-eater Jordan Rubin

Postby Klo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:28 pm

:-( What can I say? TBN sure didn't give Dr McDougall any chance to challenge Rubin's promotion of unhealthy eating... I wish they had 30 more minutes!~

PS - Rubin claims our "maker" says we should eat things like butter, raw milk cheeses, eggs, London broil, lamb kabobs, grilled steak..... and of course, your daily portion of saturated fat (pg 33)! :shock: We'll see how healthy he is in 20 years.
Klo

Postby Sunny » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:57 am

Was that on Dr.McDougall's show :?: I record them and watch on the weekends. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby Klo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:38 pm

Yes, it's his weekly program. I record them too and watch them when I have time. Dr McDougall is always so professional with his interviews! The recent one with Jack LaLanne was really inspiring. :)
Klo

Postby Sunny » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:07 pm

Thanx Klo,
I think I just might make time to watch that tonight, I just Love it when there is a challenge to McDougall :D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

I saw that one a long time ago . . .

Postby Malva » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:41 pm

If memory serves me right, McDougall was interviewing him on his show and did not counter any of his views.
The Maker's Diet is based on Rubin's change of health when he altered his diet.
I think Dr. McDougall wanted to emphasize the positives of the diet which made for improved health. I never heard any science backing for the Maker's Diet, just circumstantial evidence from Rubin's life.
The book is being sold at many Christian Bookstores as if it were a "Bible-based" diet. And that's supposed to be evidence enough for it being a healthy diet? :rolleyes:

As I recall, the children of Israel, while out in the wilderness for 40 years, lived on manna and water? That doesn't sound like Reuben's book at all.
And yet, the manna was God's best provision while they were expending a great deal of energy out on the road. Maybe Rubin needs to do a little more research. Or change the title to "The Rubin's Diet". :)
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby KristaO » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:29 pm

Debbie, TBN is the Trinity Broadcasting Network - the religious channel. We get it on channel 372 with Directv cable in Orlando. You can see a lot of the old programs online at:
http://www.lifestyle.org/

You're right Malva, and I think your title better describes his book! It's wrong for Rubin to claim that God, the creator of the universe, would want us to eat like that.

I don't have a problem with someone writing a book with SAD recipes in it.... but I do have a problem with them claiming it's God's diet. Very bad!! :mad:

Krista O.

KristaO

Re: I saw that one a long time ago . . .

Postby yamster » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:54 pm

Malva wrote: I never heard any science backing for the Maker's Diet, just circumstantial evidence from Rubin's life. ... Maybe Rubin needs to do a little more research. Or change the title to "The Rubin's Diet". :)

Malva, I agree 100% with your analysis of Rubin's diet and book. And you stated it so well. He's a pretty slick salesperson, though, I'll give him points on that. But I wish he wouldn't put God's endorsement on his claims in order to sell his book. He cannot speak for God, no matter how sincerely he believes in the correctness of his own personal interpretation of Scripture. Plenty of biblical texts can be found to contradict his claims as well. Re: the TV interview -- it wasn't an interview, it was pretty much a Rubin monologue! It seemed to me that Dr. McDougall, as always, professionally and respectfully listened to his guest, while Rubin did his best to talk non-stop and avoid the possiblity of being challenged or questioned in any way.
yamster

Postby Roxanne » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:29 pm

Is there a transcript of the interview that I can read online? I haven't seen it before and would not be able to download any video clips.
If you are going to doubt anything, doubt your limits.

Height: 5'7
BMI: 21.1

Roxanne

Postby Sunny » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:46 pm

So I watched the show today, Dr.McDougall asked questions about Dr. Rubins poor health, etc... But I did not get the feeling that he was in any way controlling the conversation. He did mention his book, several times, he did talk about all the chemicals we ingest and how that may have contributed to Crohns disease. It all seemed very pleasant. :-D
I saw a sample of the menu online and it seems to be SAD. :-(
I guess Dr. McDougall respects the fact that different Dr.'s have their own idea on how to cure themselves and their patients. :-D I do not feel anyones beliefs should be pushed on another, but if you ask someone about what they do, you need to be respectful and listen. :-D
BTW~~~ this is Dr.McDougall's show, so he invited the guest to be there not TBN, and if the good Dr. had something more to say he would have. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Re: I saw that one a long time ago . . .

Postby KristaO » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:06 am

Malva wrote:If memory serves me right, McDougall was interviewing him on his show and did not counter any of his views.
The Maker's Diet is based on Rubin's change of health when he altered his diet.
I think Dr. McDougall wanted to emphasize the positives of the diet which made for improved health. I never heard any science backing for the Maker's Diet, just circumstantial evidence from Rubin's life.

Good point Malva, and I've thought about that. I didn't hear any science that proved his diet is healthy. I wonder what would happen if they had a group of people who ate his SAD diet for 30 years, compared to a vegan group?
Sunny: Good points too. I emailed Dr McDougall to ask why he didn't get into the meat and dairy issues. He said he has many roles and this particular show he was simply a host, not a debater. 8)
KristaO

Postby Sunny » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:18 am

Thanx Krista for e-mailing the Dr. it is always nice to have clarification of what's going on. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Return to The Lounge