soy protein

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

soy protein

Postby potato queen » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:40 am

Wow, I just saw the clip about isolated soy protein being bad for you. I never knew that.

Guess I wont be eating any more soy products or soy milk.

If you havent seen the clip. Go to vegsource and you can click on it there.

What did you think of the information?
potato queen

See My April 2005 Newsletter for discussion of Soy

Postby John McDougall » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:55 am

Our stand is traditional soy products (tofu, soy milks, miso, etc.) in small amounts daily (average 2 ounces) are useful additions to the meal plan. This is a food -- not a miracle drug or a poison.

However, isolated soy protien used to make fake burgers, hot dogs, sausages, luncheon meats, cheeses, etc. is harmful. These foods when consumed in amounts as small as 40 grams of isolated soy protein daily cause significant calcium loss and raise growth hormones (IGF-1) that accelerate aging and cancer growth.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Hi Dr. McDougall ~~~

Postby Sunny » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:49 am

Great Picture. :-D

I have another question regarding soy. My SIL has heard conflicting evidence regarding soy and thyroid. One says soy is harmful and can have adverse affects such as cancer, also affect the way her meds work, the other claims it is good for you regardless.

Could it be that they were refering to isolated soy protien, :?: You hear so many things out there you never know what is true. The only Dr. I trust in these matters is you. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Return to The Lounge