Meet The Members: Forum Member Profiles

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Meet The Members: Forum Member Profiles

Postby Shmookitty » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: I have been on the weight loss website Sparkpeople.com for several years. Someone on one of my teams recently told me that I was already eating about 80% McDougall so I should check him out. I read the free program info on this site, then ordered The Starch Solution and the Quick and Easy Cookbook.

How long have you been following the McD program: I have been full-time McDougalling since early October 2019, just a little over a month.

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: I had already lost a little over 90 pounds, and was naturally gravitating toward going back to a vegan diet. McDougall's focus on starches made sense to me, and it's my hope to finally get to a healthy weight. I don't have major health problems like heart disease or diabetes. I have been both vegetarian and vegan in the past, and used to joke that I was a starchitarian, but this time I'm doing it low-fat and that is the difference that makes it work!

What is your success to date: I'm down five pounds since early October (a total of 97).

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Mostly simple combinations of whole grains/beans/greens. My favorite grain is barley, I always have a batch in the fridge.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: The Spicy White Bean Pitas from the Quick and Easy Cookbook

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): I don't have an exercise program. I am just now able to walk without a cane now that I have so much weight off the collapsed disc in my lumbar spine.

Other Hobbies/Interests: Reading, taking care of my rescue cat, Facebook, Sparkpeople
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby Jennie1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: After reading the China Study 13 years ago, I wanted to learn more about the lifestyle and somehow found Dr Mcdougall's book at the library and subsequently his website.
How long have you been following the McD program: Struggling on and off for 13 years
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: Weight loss, and it rang true and I love to follow the truth.
What is your success to date: At first I lost 40 pounds. I have lost a lot of weight after each of 4 pregnancies. But then each pregnancy I would end up gaining weight back and more because of sickness and low compliance. My 5th pregnancy was the hardest on me and I gained more weight than ever and after 3 years have still been struggling. I have lost 18 pounds so far but have 90 to go. I am back on track and am excited to finally reach my ultimate goal. I don't regret the past mistakes and struggles because I have seen learning and growth in all of it.
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Oatmeal, fruit, potatoes, rice, and vegetables
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Taco bowl
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): 30 minutes/ 5 days per week. Strength, turbokick, dance aerobics, zumba, HIIT, all with a workout group in my neighborhood.
Other Hobbies/Interests: I love to read and especially have enjoyed learning from Jeff Novick and Dr Lisle online. I am so grateful to them for all that I have learned from them and Dr Mcdougall (And Dr. Campbell)!
Jennie1

Postby Mayapples » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:04 am

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: Probably via the Vegetarian Times subscription I had back in the 90s. I was a total junk food vegetarian, though, so it didn't stick.

How long have you been following the McD program: Fully for about two months.

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: Weight loss related to concerns about getting a bit older, a bit wider, and having a family history of heart disease and diabetes.

What is your success to date: I choose to not own a home scale (as someone who finds it easy to obsess a bit about numbers) but I am down about one dress size, which on me represents somewhere around fifteen pounds.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Grains, pulses, potatoes, vegetables, some fruit, in a variety of combinations.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): Regular walks in addition to physical activity at work.

Other Hobbies/Interests: Art, reading, genealogy, and various outdoor interests.
Mayapples

Postby VeganDisciple » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:37 am

—UNDEFEATED BLACK BELT TAEKWONDO FIGHTER IN 2003; MORE FRAGILE THAN GRANDMA IN 2004—

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall:
In 2011 My grandpa was in the ICU and I was googling desperately trying to fix him (I know now how much of a miracle it had to have been that I found McDougall amongst the confusion of medical literature and videos). Then I found Dr. McDougall’s easy to understand style and very informative lectures on YouTube. At the time I suspected celiac disease and they even put him on a gluten-free feeding tube formula at one point but it was madness…. He would start miraculously getting better, then they would send him to another hospital and he would start dying. He switched hospitals probably 5 times and finally the doctor decided to play God, encouraging us to pull the plug on him. He was the best man I ever knew and if it wasn’t for him, who knows if I would ever have found the McDougall newsletters. Probably for the best though as no one would have ever listened to me, with the confrontational attitude I had back then. I was only looked at as a fanatic in all my efforts to help my grandpa even though I was told that they knew McDougall because 25 years ago my little brothers (twins) were very sick when they were babies and McDougall’s concepts healed them. (We just say McDougall as his name is used so often in our house, the extra 2 syllables to say doctor would be tedious :lol: I even have a text replacement on iPhone so I don’t have to fully type his name out anymore hahaha).

How long have you been following the McD program:
Since 2011, more on than off. Every time I have gone on a SAD binge I have regretted it. I would get very, very sick. (It’s a literal ADDICTION! Don’t give up just because you can’t wrap your mind around the whole diet! Every little bit counts in a big way. But don’t expect the full benefits either.)

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program:
I had what I could only call fibromyalgia at the time and was very sickly often. I also had swollen inguinal lymph nodes in 2011 and swollen salivary glands, and very easy to get injured. The doctors treated me like a fanatical idiot (as did everyone else) and said there was nothing wrong with me as my bloodwork was most likely better than the Chinese doctor I had at the time lol (not a racist comment. A reference to traditional Chinese health compared to American health). 130 total cholesterol and 110/70 bp.

What is your success to date:
My level of pain and suffering went down dramatically, although I was never fully healed by diet alone because what I was suffering with was a chronic bacterial infection called LGV. McDougall talked briefly about it in his newsletters but I never suspected it because the classic Chlamydia symptoms are commonly absent or hard to notice with these complicated forms of Chlamydia. See my post called “Raising awareness about Chlamydia Pneumoniae”. It is plaguing our country, transforming into C.Trachomatis by indirect contact 36 hours after leaving the body. 
 viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60418
The public needs to know this stuff and the great profitability of the disease’s symptoms as you know causes the AMA to not care about us at all. It’s not even a true STI. They even say it’s a homosexual disease which I am living proof of the lie. I noticed yesterday that the ASHA (American Sexual Health Association) was funded by John D. Rockefeller (suspicious yet? Mr. Soros, are you reading this? Haha I don’t actually think he’s worried about little old me). They don’t even acknowledge LGV on their website and they’re trying to say that RNA tests for Chlamydia are very reliable when the reality is that even the expensive DNA tests are very unreliable because of the constant changing nature of the bacteria’s DNA. About a month ago, after 10 years and 1000’s of hours of studying, I finally noticed LGV fits my 6 page long list of symptoms exactly and even opened my eyes to other symptoms I had never noticed or acknowledged as being something significant. No doctor would help me or prescribe a presumptive course of antibiotics even though The CDC CLEARLY says that my symptoms should be treated with a presumptive course of treatment for LGV EVEN IN THE ABSENCE OF A POSITIVE TEST! Instead they resigned me to death, and from my deathly symptoms a few weeks ago, I suspected peritonitis which is the main thing that kills people with LGV, although rare. If I even let up on my fight for my health for one day the disease could come alive and wreak havoc. It even went into complete dormancy at times, although even inactive bacteria (and remaining DNA fragments up to 60 days after the cure) can cause inflammation and thus my arthritis was never completely gone. I am forever thankful for the McDougall diet and truly believe it saved my life by prolonging the time I had available to diagnose it. I know it’s not recommended to go the route I went but I had no choice but to get the antibiotics from the Philippines (delivered by a friend who was visiting there and father-in-law knew a dentist luckily). I also found a specific few strains of probiotics and anti-chlamydial herbs I read about in a study that were nothing short of miraculous results. (McDougall was also responsible for my knowledge of the power of probiotics). This also may have saved my life while I figured out how I was going to get helped. I am symptom free for the most part, only remains are a little short-lived inflammation from time to time, I assume from DNA fragments still present in the system as last night was my last dose of antibiotics. I was surprised even my bone spurs in my fingers stopped hurting. They were very painful even to touch them lightly.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you:
I’m honestly very lazy in my cooking (but I’m getting faster and more confident and love it!) so I tend toward the simplest of meals for example, rice cooked in the rice cooker, with soy sauce and lemon juice and some greens thrown in (or recently cooked down with turmeric and putting honey on top). I’ve recently been being more strict about adding green, yellow, red, and orange non-starchy vegetables.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish:
Big Bertha Burgers minus the oil (does that count? Not exactly a McDougall recipe :) but we made it compliant) Yellow curry from the paste without oil is also very high up there. There’s too many to choose from! Also have found that many places have pho that is healthy, no oil but be sure to ask. (Some had beef broth)

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc):

My exercise has been pretty off-point over the years but after this cure I have started being able to run up mountains like a youngster again and experience the runner’s high! Loving it for the first time ever. I love exercise? Now that just sounds fanatical to me lol.

Other Hobbies/Interests:
I wake up reading medical articles a lot of the time (curiosity hits me even in bed!). Recently started enjoying exercise. Spirituality is a big part of my life although I don’t like to force anyone to hear about it ;-) I hated writing research papers growing up but now my whole life revolves around research. That is the irony of life. Love being with my family and my beautiful wife. Would love to get back into sports again as I was a big athlete growing up. I guess that’s about it :D
DISCLAIMER*****I'm not a doctor, just an admirer of Dr. McDougall's writings. My intentions are only to point people to the evidence so that you can have the confidence to push for the service you deserve from your doctor.-Andy
http://bit.ly/AndyTestimony
VeganDisciple

Postby Profile » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:48 am

My name is Lyle

I am from Northern Michigan, but I am snow-birding in Florida for the winter.

I discovered Dr McDougall by watching YouTube videos

While I have not been following the starch based program as yet, I am convinced that this is my time. I plan on strictly adhering to the 10 point checklist for this monthly challenge.

My initial reason/goals for starting the program is for health reasons. I have already experienced a great improvement in my insulin resistance, energy level, weight loss etc. I wish to take my health and weight loss to a new level. I don't think I'm going to find this challenge very challenging as I have been eating a whole food plant based diet for a while and have seen the benefits of it; however, ignorance is bliss as they say so I may be eating my words as this month progresses along with my potatoes :-D .

My journey to improved health began three years ago as I boarded a cruise ship weighing in at 300 pounds at a height of 5'9". The cruise was a week long and I ate a total of 2 meals that week aboard the ship. after disembarking the ship I knew I needed to do something about my health as I felt like I ws going to die right there in my stateroom. even though I could not eat anything, I had gained 10 pounds of water weight and felt terrible, it was a great motivator for am eating plan/lifestyle change such as this.

Since I hasd not heard of Dr McDougall yet, I began a whole food plant based eating style. Inspite of the fact that I was doing it wrong because I misunderstood what a whole food was, I lost 70 pounds the first 4 months and felt great until I ate some bad cauliflower and got food poisoning. Once again, I couldn't eat for a whole week/. the two years that followed was a series of weight loss and weight gain because I just couldn't stick to my proper diet that I had experienced so much success at. I believe it was called food addictions.

I am back on track now and am excited to continue a proper life style, except this time, I will be doing it the correct way.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish is the tofu lasagna. I have yet to try a McDougall recipe that I don't like, but I have found that I cn eat this and maintain normal blood sugar levels and will continue to lose weight. my biggest concern has shifted from just feeling bad like I did prior to this way of eating to being so careful about the amount of insulin that I use to lower my levels, because it takes so little Novolog to do the job that I could easily take too much.

The only exercise that I have been doing so far is treadmill or outdoor walking, but I can easily see that improving as time goes on.

I'm thankful for this program and those that are involved with it and am looking forward to new changes and a rewarding learning experience that I can share with my wife and children.

Postby Kittee » Wed May 06, 2020 6:35 pm

Hello!
I’m new here, I kinda hate the Mcdougall Facebook groups, because they’re chock full of non compliant topics, and I find them frustrating. I’m hoping to find a good community here!!

I’ve been vegan for 30 years, gluten free for 12 and mostly off processed sugar for maybe 4?
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over 30 years ago, but I’m pretty sure that’s just a catch all diagnosis for my chronic inflammation and muscle pain. Around 4 years ago I learned I’m HLA B27+ and have Ankylosing Spondylitis (seronegative rheumatic arthritis /chronic auto immune inflammatory disease).

Anyway, I’ve known about ‘Dougall for about 30 years, but just decided to try it in late February, because I’ve tried everything else! I was also interested because Im menopausal and was beginning to fluff out, and I wanted to nip it in the bud.

I’ve been very compliant since Ive started, but I do miss eating all the high fat plants - especially tofu and avocado. I’m a creative cook, so I have been eating well, it’s just a change that I need to get used to. I transitioned in with a 12 day potato MM.

I was feeling somewhat better on this WOE until my birthday last week, when I decided to try a sourdough pizza. The gluten triggered a really bad flare, and I’m currently super inflamed with muscle knots and swollen joints. I hope it goes away ASAP. I do not have celiac disease, but gluten makes me hurt.

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall:
I’ve had Mcdougall cookbooks since I first went vegan in 1990.

How long have you been following the McD program: 2.5 months

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program:
Shed a few pounds and heal my inflammation.

What is your success to date: Down 10 pounds.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc):
I walk my dog about an hour plus a day 5x week.

Other Hobbies/Interests: cooking, recipe development, sewing, gardening, knitting and thrifting.

See you around!
Kittee

Postby courtneywagasky » Wed May 06, 2020 7:54 pm

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: I became vegan for the animals two years ago. And I was 148 pounds with a 5'2" frame before I decided I needed to do something about my health. I was very overweight and not comfortable in my body. I lost about 18 pounds changing my diet, calorie restricting, and being hungry constantly. One of my favorite Youtubers, HighCarbHannah, was making videos for Maximum Weight Loss where she explained the starch solution. I read it along with the China Study and was interested in this way of eating but didn't take action for a while. I finally wanted to try this to feel full and satisfied with what I was eating and so far I have seen good progress!

How long have you been following the McD program: One month

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: Health, I have lost 20 pounds on a somewhat healthy vegan diet but wanted to reign in and help get rid of the last 10 or so pounds.

What is your success to date: I've lost 3 pounds so far on the MWL plan. But in all I've had a lot more energy and mental clarity with this way of eating.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you:
Breakfast: Soup or steamed veggies with oatmeal and fruit
Lunch: Either dinner leftovers or rice/potatoes with steamed frozen veggies
Dinner: McDougall spin offs of recipes I find online, if I'm busy it's just a starch and veggies again

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Haven't tried a lot but their Starch Solution Spinach Lasagna is really good!

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): Before quarantine I worked out at the gym 5 times a week with alternating spin classes throughout. I would lift weights and walk on the treadmill. Now I work out at home 4 days a week and practice yoga every day. On the weekends I like to go hike trails with my dog and I take her on walks at least twice a day.

Other Hobbies/Interests: I'm a visual designer during the day so I am really interested in all different types of art and mixed medias. I am practicing yoga on the side and would love to do teacher training. If I have time I like to read at night, my favorite books are mystery/thrillers and memoirs.
courtneywagasky

Postby Malva » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:26 pm

Hello, after about 10 years (?) I've come back. Missed communicating with fellow McDougallers. I love encouraging people to do the best for your health, your life, and your goals.

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: Found Dr. McDougall's first book in my local health food store (this was long before Whole Foods and Amazon existed.
How long have you been following the McD program: around 30 years
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: needed to lose a lot of weight, but most of all I wanted to regain my health.
What is your success to date: Went from being 200 lbs to my initial goal weight of 124 lbs and kept it off for over 15 years (if you do the math, I was using the program for many years as I transitioned from SAD to WFPB)
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Lots of beans and greens. I prefer whole grains to spuds.
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Baja Vegetable wraps and Jeff's Longevity Soup
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): I no long run marathons, but I walk a lot. I had to cut back after breaking a toe when I rolled the garbage can over my foot one day, but back to increasing mileage again.
Malva

Postby laugenstein » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:07 pm

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: Doing research into how I could avoid taking statins being pushed my doctor.

How long have you been following the McD program: I don't follow the McD program to the letter. Have been whole food plant based for 3 years. Use McDougall, Forks over Knives, and Engine for my inspiration and recipes.

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: My doctor wanted me to take statins because an online cardiac disease risk app said I was at a very high risk of developing a cardiac disease and recommended statins. Even though all my numbers were well within healthy limits. The only was to reduce my risk was to roll back my age 10 years - from 70 to 60. I decided to embrace a whole food plant based living style based on what I learned from my research. My wife signed on too.

I was so heavy (+280 lbs.) during the Vietnam war. That the Army didn't even want me. The only good thing about being obese.

What is your success to date: Super! We have both lost some extra weight we were hauling around. Our numbers have improved. Our primary care doctors tell us we are some of the healthiest patients they have. They only have us come in once a year instead of twice.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: I do all the recipe selection and cooking for us. I figure its a good trade off - My wife did it for me for 50 years. Breakfast - Steel cut oats with banana and blue berries. Lunch - Salads containing beans and rice or potatoes and other colorful veggies ( We each make our own lunch). Dinner - Soups, salads, Shepherd's pies, Beans,rice and corn casseroles.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Bean and Corn soup and Decadent Chocolate Pudding for birthdays.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): I consider all house work, cooking, laundry, house cleaning, etc as exercise. Don't own a dish washer or clothes drier. Hang laundry outside when weather is warm. For 'exercise' we walk 30 - 60 mins each day.
My wife also swims for an hour 2 time per week.

Other Hobbies/Interests: Reading mysteries. Wife sews a lot of quilts. For past several months has been making masks to be donated to organizations which request them - such as schools.
laugenstein

Postby Creaky » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:41 pm

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: Heard about Dr. McDougall for years. Got Starch Solution on a sale on my Kindle and decided to read it. It made sense.

How long have you been following the McD program: 2 weeks

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: Weight loss, feel better. Find a WOE that I can follow for the rest of my life. I love starches.

What is your success to date: -5 pounds

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: see my journal viewtopic.php?f=52&t=61264

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: I don't use any recipes. I found the recipes in Starch Solution to be full of ingredients and recipes. It helped to find the forum post that talked about easy meals to fix.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): 1 mile walk with dog - each evening if the temperature allows it. Have to wait until below 90 or less to walk the dog. I walk about 3000-4000 steps at work.

Other Hobbies/Interests: Gaming, reading.
Creaky

Postby whereamac » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:24 am

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: FOK and googling
How long have you been following the McD program: only a few weeks, but I've been vegan since January 2020
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: to improve my health and relationship with my body - my body IS a temple and it's time I treated it as such
What is your success to date: feeling better. I "tried" to have a diet coke yesterday because I thought I needed the caffeine. Had a few sips and felt sick. I don't know if I actually felt sick or that was in my head, but I threw most of it down the sink and don't think I'll "need" another one anytime soon.
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Breakfast and dinner is easy - breakfast is only fruit and dinner is home made food from the MWLP. At lunch I'm often out with clients, so it's always vegan but now I'm focused on low fat too.
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: veggie soup (I don't do the cooking so I don't know which one!)
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): Yoga 3-4 times a week (90 min classes) and 1 - 2 2+ hour hikes a week
Other Hobbies/Interests: Reading, seeing friends, travelling (when we can...)

whereamac

Postby Chumly » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:06 am

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: 15-20 ears ago I first learned about Dr. McDougall from an interview he had with Dean Ornish.
How long have you been following the McD program: I've been trying to follow it for years, but I have difficulty staying strict for more than a week or two.
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: health improvement, weight loss, disease prevention
What is your success to date: my weight has been fairly consistent for years, but at least 50 lbs. to high. I used to fluctuate a lot.
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. I often eat out at lunch during the work week. I stick to plant-based, but I know there's too much SOS. Dinner is usual vegetables, beans, starch and a dessert
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish:
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): 20 minutes of walking per day, sometimes biking
Other Hobbies/Interests: Reading, hiking, biking
Chumly

Previous

Return to The Lounge