Protein for Pregnant Women

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Protein for Pregnant Women

Postby Levanah18 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:50 pm

There is someone very close to me who in turn is very close to a midwife.

The midwife tells this person close to me, that she works with expecting/pregnant vegetarians from time to time, and after carrying the pregnancy for 9 months (or so), they often have weak tissues in their pelvic floor and those tissues often tear. This midwife blames the vegetarian diet and insists that they eat meat to get the valuable amino acids (or the equivalent, I'm not very knowledgeable in this) from the protein of meat. From here the person close to me concludes that vegetarian/vegan diets do not provide enough of those proteins that the meat provides. I do not have an answer for this because I do not have enough knowledge in this area of which the midwife is an expert.

Would you know of a source that would be able to respond to this question of a woman's specialized nutritional needs during the time of a pregnancy and birth? Without resorting to meat or fish or dairy?

Many thanks

Joseph Browns
Levanah18

Return to The Lounge