ANGER Yikes

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

ANGER Yikes

Postby plaidcanary » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:24 pm

I had my heart attack 6 months ago and have noticed that I have a personality change in that I am now a HOT HEAD. I get SUPER ANGRY. Yuk Before my heart attack, my normal personality was quiet, introverted, nice. Now, I'm a 68 y.o. witch/hag. Awful. Is that part of the post-heart attack package? Just curious as this is a new and unwelcome development.
plaidcanary

Re: ANGER Yikes

Postby debknott » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:52 am

I know very little about heart attacks, and I hope that some who have had them will come and speak about their experiences. I am so sorry you are going through this, and hope and pray that you will find peace in your heart through this troublesome time. :)
debknott

Postby Drumlin » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:48 pm

I hear ya, sister! I had a heart attack last August. I have had emotional extremes since then. As the months passed they were getting worse - depression, frustration, ANGER, totally out of character for me. It turns out these are all listed as side effects for the medications I was on (4 total). Since discontinuing the beta-blocker one month ago, these extremes had greatly subsided.

Luckily I found a plant-based cardiologist. He immediately took me off the beta-blocker and we are working towards eliminating the cholesterol meds. He also suggested seeing a psychologist or counselor because depression/mood changes following heart attack or heart surgery are so common. I am still waiting to see someone, but may skip that since I am feeling so much better off the beta-blocker. Please, definitely talk to your doctor, either cardiology or primary care. Hang in there because you can see this through.
Drumlin

Postby plaidcanary » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:14 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. Didn't think about psychological side effects from the beta blocker... I'm on the lowest possible dosage of Metoprolol Tartrate (a beta blocker). Side effects on google didn't mention anger, per se, but who knows. It was good to check side effects, because I also realized why I'm now losing most of my <long> hair(!) A rare side effect!

Curious what your plant-based cardiologist prescribed in lieu of the beta blocker you were taking.
plaidcanary

Postby Drumlin » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:38 pm

I was on the same beta blocker, and only 12.5 mg (half-tablet). Even at that low dose I was dizzy sometimes. I also had the hair loss…really bad hair loss. Talk about depressing! I learned that irritability/anger often go hand in hand with depression. Just google “depression presenting as anger”.

I was not put on a different med to replace the beta blocker. Since the doc knew I was committed to plant-based eating, and I had lost quite a bit of weight since the heart attack, he wanted to see where my blood pressure was without any meds. I am seeing him tomorrow to touch base about blood pressure and look at my latest lab results. Fingers crossed that I can discontinue the cholesterol meds.
Drumlin

Postby plaidcanary » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:50 am

Interesting. I am also on the half-tablet dosage and I also get dizzy at times. Congratulations on your weight loss, that's a huge achievement! And fingers crossed about your cholesterol test results. I never thought it could be the beta blocker's side effects, and really so much appreciate your sharing your experiences with me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
plaidcanary

Return to The Lounge