Eating in Croatia?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eating in Croatia?

Postby f1jim » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:29 am

Leaving for Croatia in a couple of days. If anyone has any favorite places to eat in Zagreb or Dubrovnik give a shout.
Haven't been there in 21 years and I wasn't eating healthy back them. Eating a McDougall diet has allowed me to return there!
Suggestions?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Eating in Croatia?

Postby jay kaye » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:40 pm

I was in Dubrovnik last November for a few days (and Greece and Turkey.) I don't really remember any place specifically. I think we found some places, including pizza on Happy Cow.

They are a lot more accommodating for "vegan" lifestyle. They still love their olive oil. The hotel had a nice buffet with fruit, bread and oatmeal. We did find a Mexican restaurant that made a sort of compliant burrito and also had dinner at a Japanese place that did rice and veggies. I ate more humus than I should have :)

J
jay kaye

Postby landog » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:37 am

Can't help ya - just want to say - have a great trip!
Can't wait to hear how it went!
landog

Postby f1jim » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:44 am

Leaving tomorrow morning. Was there 21 years ago. I expect it will be a different world. Last time we went the fighting had been stopped for a year and they were still minesweeping the roads. This was long before I changed my diet but I do remember lots of meat!
I will report back after the trip.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby f1jim » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:47 am

Just checking in from Dubrovnek, Croatia. Found eatable food most everywhere in Croatia. In Dubrovnek there is a great place called Urban and Veggie. Several on plan choices and several more that could be made on plan. I had an excellent seitan dish last night for dinner.
The world of vegan and vegetarian options has exploded since our visit 21 years ago. The restaurants are responding to the needs of travelers, many from Europe. It's quite pleasing.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby frozenveg » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:10 pm

Jim, I'm so glad you've found good places to eat! How exciting to be in Croatia! I hope you get home safely and with many great memories.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby pundit999 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:30 pm

It is great that you are finding places to eat at easily.
Yeah the world is changing fast.
Looking forward to your trip report when you come back.
pundit999

Return to The Lounge