How much weight loss is too much

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

How much weight loss is too much

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:30 pm

Any insight into how much weight loss is too much on the program. I'm trying to affect my type II diabetes with the McDougall plan before I let my doctor try to throw me on medications/insulin. Between having two kids born between July 2018 and now, and covid I've done a pretty bad job of taking care of myself so my type 2 has been pretty uncontrolled for almost 5 years. I know have type II and managed to get my a1c down to 5 in the past with this program. But I'd completely fallen off the bandwagon.

I was reading through my old book:

and Dr. McDougall suggests that he may use a little insulin on patients who lose too much too fast. I've been doing this properly for about 3 weeks now. I think I may have dumped 10 pounds in the first week. Its slowing down now though. Probably 2 pounds in the last week.

I don't suffer from thirst or blurred vision or anything. Massive fatigue has been a problem which is starting to improve now only after 3 weeks of being very strict with the program.

Too bad this place seems like a ghost town. It was much more active when I was on here 10 years ago. Maybe so few people believe anything but the low carb hype to get here.

*kicks a few tumbleweeds*
EmmetFitzhume

Re: How much weight loss is too much

Postby Taggart » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:25 am

In a recent post, Dr. McDougall talks about weight loss that you may find helpful.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/i ... ot-joking/
Taggart

Postby Ejeff » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:44 am

I think it depends on how much you need to lose, but I have heard and read many times that 1.5 to 2 pounds per week is very reasonable. Glad you are back on the program, I’m sure you can be very successful with avoiding diabetes medications. Wishing you great success.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:00 pm

Welcome back. With 1-2 lbs weight loss per week, sounds like you are on the right track.

Congratulations on your 2 children!

I've been here for over a decade. I appreciate that this place is not social media.

I've got 3 young kids myself, ages 6-10. I feel the gift of health, beauty and strength is something they can use their whole lives. They might choose to go into health care knowing this information, or figure out how to make a business out of healthy habits. I try to make my meals amazing as a "vaccine" against the usual animal and junk foods. They will have the start I wish I had.

Sometimes it's quiet. That's ok. I like having a positive place on the Internet to go to.
michaelswarm

Postby awest27 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:25 pm

2 lbs per weeks sounds perfect to me.
awest27

Postby Jack Monzon » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:12 pm

I’m satisfied with 0.5 lbs per week, and 1 lb is above and beyond. Obviously it depends on how heavy you are to start with though, and how much you should ideally lose. I’m 5-foot-10 and 169lbs today.

Back in 2015-2016, I got down to 156ish, and friends and colleagues started commenting that I looked like a prison-camp survivor. I took this as qualitative feedback, at least on an aesthetic level, that I was getting too lean. My ideal now is 165, and I even noticed that I was a stronger runner around that 165 level than I was at 156.
Jack Monzon

Return to The Lounge