June 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:25 pm

texaslil - Here is a post where Jeff responds to the question "What time should you stop eating for the day?"

OOnaOwl - Definitely not too late to join the group for June! Our next scheduled weigh-in and reporting period is Friday, June 18. You are off to a great start adhering to the recommended behaviors. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:47 am

Down 1.8lbs this week. That’s more like it.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more. YES

Good week this week again and the scale reflected it. I’m still a tiny bit up from my lowest weight a few weeks ago but on the right track. I do feel slightly stuck around the same weight at the moment but I’ll just keep going. I’d love to get the last 7lbs off just for completions sake! I’d be satisfied at staying the weight that I am now but 7 extra pounds would give me a real sense of achievement and get me that BMI of 21 that I was aiming for when I started this. I’ve started a strength training programme this week, which is kicking my behind! Thought I might as well get sculpting what’s left of me into a reasonable shape!

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement, Mark, they really do help me so much.

Onwards to next week!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby Wfpb2020 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:23 am

Weight change - 1.6 lbs.

1) Start each meal with soup/salad/fruit. 4/7 days
2) Follow the 50/50 plate. 5/7 days
3) Reduce or eliminate sugars/salts. 6/7 days
4) Eliminate animal foods 5/7 days – mostly cheese
5) Eliminate higher fat plant foods. 6/7 days
6) Eliminate oil. 5/7
7) Eliminate higher calorie-dense foods. 5/7 days
8) Don’t drink your calories. 100%
9) Eating when hungry and stop when full. 6/7 days
10) 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. Yes 60 + minutes a day.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I changed the way I am tracking the 10 points so that I check them off on a tracker at every meal instead of just daily. This helps me realize where I need to focus my attention. Was pleased with the loss since I am just back this week to the maximum weight loss plan.
Wfpb2020

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:36 am

Good Morning!

Weight Change: +0.8
Compliance: 80-ish % (I don't have my chart with me, but I calculated it yesterday)

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO--there was a day or two, where I should probably call it "stuffing"
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. YES/NO--I did all of my "runs", but didn't do anything on my off days.

Threw myself off this week by trying to change my sleep schedule. I've just succeeded in making myself tired, grumpy and hungry. My appetite was all over the place, things weren't as satisfying some days. I capped it off by trying on clothes yesterday and getting into an "F" it attitude. The .8 lbs is two banana muffins and veggie sushi (cue sad trombone). It still would have been a no loss week. Got up and did my exercise this morning, and that sort of helped.

Tomorrow will go out to lunch with my parents for father's day. Picked a place that is supposed to have a baked potato/salad bar. We'll see...

Have a good week everyone!
frowsyowl

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:56 am

Good morning; I'm back! did the MWL group for months but then the 4th grade online school started, and despite my best intentions, time and fatigue took me of the MWL highway. Gained 5#s and am back to 'get real' and lose it and more. School is OUT!! Guidelines #2 and #3 have given me problems.

Starting weight today: 181.4 lbs (down 1# from last week but I won't record it)
Weight change +/- in lbs: 0

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. More Focus for me on this step. (trying to figure this out with my evening oatmeal)
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. (I fell into a cookie habit to 'energize' me for online school; gone now)
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes, easy
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes, mostly, 74 yr old body doesn't do 'brisk' right now.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:26 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +2

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. no
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. no. Starlite mints
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). no. Scrambled egg sandwich
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. no. Ate Naan, which has oil in it
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. no. Whole wheat bread w. my egg samwich, and naan
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes! This is my big triumph for the week. Ate until satiated and then stopped. EVERY time.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: My eating was funky all week long. I'm sorely disappointed in myself, as I "made a commitment" to eating 100% on plan for the "second half" of June...and THAT DAY I ate some off plan foods. :roll: The one behavior that I feel good about is not eating past full. Every meal, when I felt satiated, I was done. Period. Yay me. Also my walks are so wonderful. I eagerly get out of bed early in the morning, get dressed, plug in a podcast, and go out for 30-60 minutes.

Okay so...when you're driving down the road and your front right tire wanders to the shoulder, do you correct and get back immediately, or do you just drive off into the ditch? I'll be mulling on things at my journal. I walked into the pleasure trap. Time to get a grip and back on track. It probably involves increasing the pleasure component of my on plan choices. Starch and greens is maybe getting boring.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:50 am

155.6 Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.8 pounds
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I stayed strong this again week. I did feel generally hungrier, but I tried to remember Jeff’s advice about making sure to include a starch. I do struggle with this in the afternoon when I feel like I need something. Any good recommendations for a starch to go with fruit or veggies in the afternoon? I never really want oatmeal or the regular starches I eat like potatoes, rice, pasta as a snack then.
Rebecka22

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:08 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: 0 lbs - no change

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsdown:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsdown:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: No change this week, but I am ok with it. It was a busy week and I missed a couple of days of exercise (#10). Also missed the preload of soup or salad on three meals( #1). Had family visit over the weekend, so missed my weekend "prep-ahead process" and my exercise routine, but it was so nice to see them! I think in the future I will just have to have a few more things prepped ahead in the freezer.
GreenFroG

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:54 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:
Loss of 1.6 pounds this week :)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

MOSTLY: most meals, aiming for 100% this next week. This is a new habit for me, I started it last week & now up to every meal. If I don't have a salad prepared I just eat some raw veggies to start.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

YES; all meals this week.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

YES. All meals this week.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

YES

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

MOSTLY: I still have unsweetened almond milk in my coffee every day. I plan to enjoy a couple meals with air fried tofu this weekend also.

6. Eliminate any added oil.

YES all meals

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

YES all meals

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

YES all meals

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

MOSTLY: I did have a few meals that I overstuffed myself. Working on satiety cues now to only eat to comfortable fullness.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

YES. Every day at least 45 minutes :) Both cardio and strength.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

I am finally losing weight being compliant with this MWL plan! I have lost over 3 pounds since beginning of June which is amazing. I am petite and in my 50's, so it has been a real challenge. 5'0" with a small frame. I used to weigh around 100 pounds but recently been in the low 120's and it's pure fat gain NOT muscle. I am so excited that I might be able to reach my goal size (which is my former size) this year. I was always slim until my 40's and then some fat pounds have crept on & been stubborn to lose. Eating starches & greens has been surprisingly satiating combination! The last time I tried MWL I didn't eat enough non-starchy vegetables and would over-fill on starches trying to get full. I am finding it EASIER to get full eating the starch with non-starchy veggies, it's a game changer for me! Also I am batch cooking a bean dish and a salad twice weekly to eat for half the week. This has helped SO MUCH to stay on track! I will start batch cooking some starch also this week. Is it ok to have my fruit frozen and in smoothie or nice cream form as a "dessert"? It's hot here now and a fake milkshake sounds like a delightful treat to enjoy each day for my fruit allotment. I don't want to compromise my weight loss goals though if it's bad to pulverize it! I don't enjoy plain fruit. Thanks so much to this group and admin for the help.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Mark's Replies for June 18 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:11 pm

PonysPlants - More like it, indeed! :thumbsup: It seems to me the end goal you are aiming for is achievable with TIME + ADHERENCE. Something you might consider trying: frame your weekly day-to-day efforts from the perspective of behavioral goals, rather than scale-measured, intermediary results; using challenging, but manageable goals, the achievement of which is within our control can be a powerful way to build self-efficacy. An incongruent reading on the scale can be disruptive and demotivating, particularly so the more value we attach to it, whether or not it is "real" (e.g., reflective of our prevailing pattern of behavior). Does that make sense? Enjoy the strength training, Naomi! :D

Wfpb2020 - Nice progress, Gina! I think taking a moment to "check-in" with the MWL 10-Point Checklist at each meal is a great way to focus attention on improving adherence. Keep doing your best to eliminate the "exceptions" where and when you have the opportunity to do so. :nod:

frowsyowl - I think your observation about being "thrown off" by the attempted change in sleep patterns raises an important point, Jennifer. Making the recommended changes in behavior can be a very challenging, arduous, and energy-intensive task, particularly in our modern, obesogenic environment. It makes sense to be mindful of how many different, difficult projects we are taking on, as we all have limited resources and it can be pretty easy to overtax ourselves with ambitious plans. Some weeks, adhering to MWL is plenty hard enough in its own right, no? Solid thought to use intentional exercise as a way of getting a "foothold" back onto the adherent path. Enjoy the time with your father tomorrow!

deweyswakms - Welcome back; I am delighted to see your report, Marsha! :thumbsup: for "getting real." Fruit is an always popular option for a 50/50 with oatmeal. If you prefer a non-starchy vegetable, carrots or summer squash work well, to my taste (I also really enjoy savory oatmeal with kale, collards, or some other leafy green).

bunsofaluminum - Hang in there, Heidi! Working our way back out of the Pleasure Trap, after "driving in" isn't easy, but it can be made easier with thoughtful attention to the immediate food environment. Is it feasible to arrange your surroundings to best support your goals? I agree with you that it also makes sense to plan adherent meals that include the foods you most enjoy. Adherence can still be delicious, right?

Rebecka22 - Excellent week! My "go-to" items for the afternoon stretch are "Oatmeal pudding" w/fruit (cooked oatmeal chilled in the refrigerator - it sounds weird, but it reminds me of pudding) or a Sweet Potato "Sundae" - a cold, pre-cooked sweet potato topped with berries or pineapple. I can also imagine some variation of a cold potato salad or pasta salad might be enjoyable. Any of those have the benefit of being easily prepped in advance, and consumed cold - almost no delay between noticing hunger and being able to eat. Perhaps other participants may have some ideas, too?

GreenFroG - I applaud you for staying pretty much right on track, considering this was a really busy week, with guests visiting, and your food-prep was somewhat disrupted. :thumbsup: Adherent freezer meals seem like an excellent solution for the next hectic week you face. Kudos for not letting a hitch in your routine knock you out of the groove!

OOnaOwl - Down 1.6 pounds! Batch cooking adherent foods is a fantastic way to support your efforts. :nod: I encourage you to continue to work toward eliminating the remaining higher fat foods. Smoothies are not recommended for MWL
JeffN wrote:Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
I would say that nice cream or some variation eaten with a spoon could be acceptable, although not necessarily recommended, based on Jeff's article on Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
JeffN wrote:Emulsifying, Pureeing, & Blending
Blending foods disrupts the fiber and reduces the satiety of the food per calorie, making it easier to overconsume the food. On the other hand, chewing food increases satiety. Examples of blended foods on a WFPB diet include smoothies and dried fruit/nut confections.
What about a bowl of frozen fruit, perhaps slightly thawed - does that seem at all appealing for a cooling treat for hot days? I think mangoes and berries work great for this. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Artista » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:49 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs:  -.8 lbs.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). No, included a little bit of flaxseeds, unsweetened soy milk, and tofu here and there. :|

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I missed reporting last week because I got locked out of the website. For some reason I couldn’t log in. It took about 5 days before my password could be reset. During that time I sort of gave up on being able to log in again and drifted a bit from trying to do strict MWL. Hence the little bit of higher fat plant foods this week. Other than that, the week went pretty well.
Artista

Postby Zoey » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:48 am

Looks like my report is exactly the same as last week.
Weight change +/- in lbs: - .2

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :D
6. Eliminate any added oil. :D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :D
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :D

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

I'm still suffering from the disappointment in what I see in the mirror. But it's given me a new gratitude. I am grateful that there are no reflective surfaces at the park where I go jogging. :nod:
Anyway, I'm still shuffling along, feeling good and hydrated and proud of kicking the wine for now. I say that because I know the temptation will always be lurking, but I'm getting through it pretty well at the moment. So it's been a decent month so far, yay!
Zoey

Postby Trish88 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:01 am

Date Joined MWL: June 4, 2021
Starting Weight: 279.8
Current Weight: 274.3
Weight change for this week +/- in lbs: -1.8
Weight change since beginning June 4, 2021 +/- in lbs: -5.5

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 25% I am just getting into the hang of this for my evening meal.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 100%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 100%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 100%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 100%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 98% Just a splash of oil-free/sugar-free oat milk on my morning oatmeal, and a 2nd splash in my cup of instant coffee substitute (cereal grain beverage).
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 5% This is the one thing I have difficulty with at the moment, but I am not going to get upset about it. As an obese woman, it's a challenge to walk for longer than 10 minutes due to back pain. As I lose more weight, I am looking forward to getting in a 30 to 40 minute walk daily.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Last night at dinner I put my own meal together: buckwheat & lentils with water-fried mushrooms, carrots, green beans, etc. It was delicious. My husband made one of those vegan versions of mac and cheese. Tons of oil and salt in it. I am proud to say I did not touch it. It's just not my food.

Cheers,
Trish

Last edited by Trish88 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trish88

Postby carwex » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:23 am

Starting weight: 141.5
Last week’s weight: 129.8
Current weight: 129.8
Loss/gain this week: 0 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup or salad. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method, ½ starch and ½ vegetables. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods. Added tastes of meat or fish
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Use miso as seasoning and tofu in miso soup/a little almond milk in porridge and tea.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie dense foods. Had a dessert
8. Don’t drink your calories. Drink only water and tea with a little almond milk
9. Follow these principles whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary. Did some walking and swimming this week.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Last week in the changeover to a new discussion board, I lost the password and it took a few days to get a new one so I missed last week completely.
I cant say that it has been a wonderful week of adherent MWL eating. Many problems came up this week in my life and I had to deal with them. But my first reaction is to deal with them through food so I had 2 days of slips. Now I am back on track and of course the problems get resolved whether I eat or not.
These problems brought some stress into our household and may have accounted for my slips and my husband’s increased BP. We have started to take inventory of our life-style (especially richer foods) in the past few months since my grandson has come to live with us. Winter is upon us and that means less outdoor activity. The BP was a kind of wakeup call to a development that we had not even been aware of. Now that we are talking about it and looking for solutions, it’s going well. It’s good to be a team. And it’s good to share on this discussion board and get feedback.
Wishing a good week to us all.
Carol
carwex

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:58 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -2.0 lbs
6/11/2021. 130
6/17/2021. 128

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.Yes

4.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).Yes

5.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).Yes

6.Eliminate any added oil.Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes

8.Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9.Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10.Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions. It took several weeks of focused effort to finally see results. Down 2 pounds this week.
:-D :-D :-D
Gimmelean

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program