The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - December 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Summary for December 2 Reports

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:08 pm

Woo-hoo! What a great way to start our check-ins for this month! Admirable efforts all around. Thank you to everyone who responded to the questions I posed; it was really gratifying and valuable to have a sense of where everyone is situated on their journey. I ESPECIALLY love to see all the rich, supportive interactions and conversations BETWEEN participants; good comrades are a prize of great value. :D

Now, some links and excerpts that speak to a couple of the prevailing questions this week; i.e., "How much exercise is enough (and what about intensity)?" AND "How many non-starchy veggies should we eat?"

Fortunately for us, Jeff has threads specifically addressing both these concerns! :-D

Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
JeffN wrote:You can sum this all up by simply saying: Aim for 30-60 minutes per day, most days of the week (4-6), which will depend on intensity, and will include both aerobic and resistance training. Another way to look at it is, 150 to 300 minutes per week. The inclusion of some balance and flexibility work is also recommended.

I do not know of any doctor in this field who recommends more than these guidelines as part of any of these programs.

Which is the best exercise? The one you will do. :)

For most of us, brisk walking along with some resistance training is more than enough. However, if you enjoy another form, just pick the one you enjoy and will do, regardless of whether it is walking, jogging, running, swimming, cycling, exercise classes, etc.
JeffN wrote:We can also look at the issue another way, which I have discussed many times before. Let us say we have two identical people.

- one maintains a BMI of 18.5 and does so through a very healthy diet. They exercise moderately about 30 minutes a day, 5x a week and burn a total of about 2000 calories per day. To maintain their BMI, they consume about 2000 calories per day.

- the other identical person also maintains a BMI of 18.5 and does so through a very healthy diet. However, they exercise vigorously about 1.5 - 2 hours a day (or more) and burn a total of about 3000-3500 calories per day. To maintain their BMI, they consume about 3000-3500 calories per day.

The studies in animals and the recent ones in humans show the first one will do much better and live longer and healthier.

Remember, a little is good, a little more may be a little better, but not that much and lots more is not good.
This thread on Sitting, Standing, & Intermittent Walking is also very relevant.

Non-Starchy Veggies, Leafy Greens & You: How Much Is Enough

How Many Non-Starchy Veggies Should We Eat?

The Calorie Paradox: Is Your Plant Based Diet A Vegetable Based, Nut Based or Starch Based Diet?

And, from Dr. McDougall himself
Eat Green and Yellow Vegetables:

Typically “popular diets” recommend that you eat large amounts of green and yellow vegetables, which are very low in calories, thus filling your stomach with low energy bulk (they are high in nutrients, however). I suggest about one-third of the meal should be from these low-calorie vegetables for accelerating weight loss. If you are desperate, then you may push that amount to one-half of your plate (measured roughly by your eye).

However, be careful that you do not eat so many of these low-calorie vegetable foods that your meals are no longer enjoyable and satisfying for your hunger drive. You need the starchy selections for sustaining satisfaction. No population of people has ever lived on a diet based on low-calorie green and yellow vegetables. All successful societies have centered their diets on starches (rice, potatoes, beans, corn, etc.) – and you must do the same for long-term victory.

Jeff boils it down to the basics (emphasis mine):
JeffN wrote:"Eat whole plant foods, base the majority of your caloric intake on unrefined/unprocessed starches, avoid animal products, added oils and/or fats, limit high fat plant foods (nuts, seeds, avocados), avoid excess sugar and salt, and control weight by adjusting the amount of green and yellow vegetables that you combine with your whole starches. Ensure regular and adequate sunshine and if vegan, take some B12 and maintain a moderately active lifestyle. That is about it."

Have an amazing week and month! Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - December 2022 Group

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:34 pm

Mark - thank you so much for your feedback! That link was as always, totally on-point. Much needed and vey helpful to my current situation! I made some adjustments to how I plated my lunch, and I'm already hopeful this tweak will make a difference for me. We shall see! I love the idea of treating these behavior modifications as "experiments."

Of course, any link followed around here leads to other links, and a full afternoon of valuable reading! This forum is truly a TREASURE TROVE of information about how to be a successful McDougaller. I need regular reminders about what this program IS, but also what it is NOT. I need to keep it straight about what is one person's experience, based on their personal experimentation, and what is The Program. Thank you Jeff!!!!!

If...

I went on Facebook, and said "I've found that standing on my head for five minutes before each meal is THE secret to making the McDougall Program work"

.........I wonder how many people would end up with a headache (and no weight loss or other desired improvements) from standing on their head? I've ended up with many theoretical headaches doing that very same theoretical thing!!!

Noella - your knee situation sounds so frustrating. Your experience with the physiotherapist sounds encouraging! Keep us posted - as a person with knee issues myself I love gathering info on what people find helpful. I hope you are able to get back to you full range of activities very soon!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Noella » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:09 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Noella - Kudos to you! Your confidence in being able to practice the recommended behaviors seems well-deserved and well-earned! :D Ongoing, persistent musculoskeletal pain can be a really daunting challenge to face, right? I very much identify and sympathize with the desire to "do more" than one's body can reasonably manage in a given moment. That can bring up strong feelings of loss or even mourning that aren't always easy to acknowledge. I'm SO happy to know that you are able to work with a physiotherapist and that he is optimistic about the process. Sorry you've been facing pain magnified by the recent injury - my thoughts are with you. Wishing for you to have "happier" knees in the days ahead, and for the best possible outcomes. :)

Lizzy_F wrote:Noella - your knee situation sounds so frustrating. Your experience with the physiotherapist sounds encouraging! Keep us posted - as a person with knee issues myself, I love gathering info on what people find helpful. I hope you are able to get back to your full range of activities very soon!

Mark - Thank you. Yes it does bring up feelings of loss and mourning and I have to shake both of these off. I don't want any self-pity or heaviness of spirit to come my way so I'm holding tight to my belief in the power of optimism, self-efficacy and self-care. I know without a doubt that staying hydrated, avoiding sugar, reducing sodium levels and eating nutrient-dense unprocessed plant-based foods combined with frequent rests and gentle daily exercises will help my joints and all these things are within my power.

Beth- Thanks so much, Beth. I'm thrilled I took Mark's advice and made an appointment with a physiotherapist. I have been conscientious about following the MWL guidelines (lots of starch, veggies, and fruit) and doing the exercises the physiotherapist prescribed. So far, my knees are feeling a bit better each day. :nod:
Noella

Postby Greens » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:22 pm

Hello Team Time and Adherence
I know I’m past the time but was on vacation with a friend and need the accountability.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. Yes

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. No. Restaurant foods high in salt.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yea

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Had avocado in salad.

6) Eliminate any added oil. No restaurant foods have oily foods even when asked.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No sometimes toast without butter is the healthiest starch on menu.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). No.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10) Avoid ring sedentary and aim for at least 30 min or more of moderate daily exercise. Yes, walked lots.

Thank you for the soup ideas!!! I’ve made a pot full now that I’m home again. I put the suggestions on 3x5 cards on fridge so I always have great ideas of what to make.

So nice not being alone trying to adhere to this way of living.
Marilyn
Greens

Postby BambiS » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:18 am

12-7

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Some days got some grapefruit this week, really enjoyed

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes, no problems

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:still trying to get on tack by not cutting back. I had hit the plateau and cut back, then I was eating bites of stuff I shouldn’t. I’m trying to find a happy balance
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:15 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

I did good this week. I planned ahead for long days running the kids around and that helped me stay on track. I am working on strategies to get through all the holiday sweets while trying not to be too hard on myself. I know my best friend is planning. I hope everyone has a great week.
Rebecka22

Postby Hjklost55 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:09 pm

Week Ending 12-9-22

Hello Everyone, hope you are surviving the holiday parties and events. It is a tough time of year. But I will get through it.

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES Still pre-loading with my soup 3 meals a day.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES, although I think I may need to be more aware of the actual 50/50. I eat my soup, then eat a whole plate of potatoes. So don’t know if it actually works out 50/50.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES on added sugars, but NO on salts. For some reason I have been craving salt. So have been adding some to my soup and potatoes. Small amounts, but still adding.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES

6. Eliminate any added oil. YES

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO, I ate a huge helping of pasta this week. Even though it was brown rice pasta, I ate the whole bag. Nothing on it…. But couldn’t stop eating it. :-(

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO, I am still stuffing myself most days. Even though it is compliant foods. Occasionally I set a time for 15 minutes after my first helping. But need to be more diligent with that.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES, I played pickleball 5 days this week. Most days was 2-2 1/2 hours.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: As I have previously mentioned, I’m just trying to get through the holidays without totally falling off the wagon CRASH!!! The temptations are there, but every day feeling stronger in saying NO THANK YOU!!! Any suggestions for controlling the volume eating would be greatly appreciated. The scales aren’t moving and I’m pretty sure it is the amount of food that I consume. But on the bright side, the scales aren’t going up either. Trying to remember: correct the behavior the weight loss will come.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Take Care,
Holly
Hjklost55

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:04 am

Post for week ending 12/09/22

Hello MWL Time and Adherence community.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
No- birthday cake once this week. It was from a “special” very well known bakery. Because I have become accustomed to not eating these types of foods I couldn’t even eat the icing. It was so overly sweet it was repulsive. Amazing how my tastes ( literally) have changed. This checkpoint on the MWL list is my biggest ongoing challenge, not only this month. Breads, chips, puffs, popcorn, and crunchy cereal are the foods that I have to make an effort to completely avoid getting started with in order to stay on track. This month of course, they are more available and everywhere which increases the challenge. This coming week, I am especially going to focus on making this point a yes.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes

Victories,Comments,Questions,Challenges:
Mark, the link you posted to Jeff’s article regarding standing desks was very interesting. I have a sit - stand desk at work and spend many hours per day intentionally standing. I started this about 10 years ago when I injured my hip exercising. I’m grateful that injury is long gone and standing helped a great deal in avoiding pain while it healed. When the pandemic dictated working from home, I created a makeshift standing desk by placing my monitors on textbooks and my keyboard and mouse on a box. Anecdotally it makes me feel great but when I see the numbers for positive benefits quantified in studies, somehow I feel even better.

Holly, like you, I love pasta. I only make it anymore with a 50/50 ratio. For example, whole grain penne with fresh broccoli, diced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms or broccoli raab and loads of garlic with lemon zest. This way my serving is huge, really bulked up with any and every vegetable on hand, and super filling.

This coming week, an office holiday lunch at a restaurant and on another day, a potluck with snacks and desserts are planned. For lunch, I’m going to look at the menu online to decide what to order in advance, bring a bowl of whole fruit to the potluck, and make sure I don’t show up hungry to either event.
I just reviewed Dr. Lyle’s Ask me anything video on the topic of healthy holiday eating and avoiding what gets us into trouble. It ends with don’t walk in it, tread around it because if you step in it it will stay on your shoe it it will be a mess.
https://youtu.be/r99OWEoviBU

Hoping everyone has a good week ahead in EVERY way!
Last edited by Gimmelean on Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gimmelean

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:55 am

Hi to all fellow Team Time & Adherence warriors, :D :-D :)

Hope everyone is having a great December!!!

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Still mostly no (maintaining). I am so ready to pivot back to this if / when needed.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES. Breakfast is consistently oatmeal / whole grain cereal and fruit. For the cold weather, I always have at least one pot of starchy soup / stew in the fridge to pair with whatever fruit / veggie. Loving the Jeff burgers with oven fries and salad and fruit. Made an awesome pot of Mary McD’s slow cooked beans (cranberry ones!) to eat with rice, potato, salad. Whole wheat spaghetti with dry sauteed veggies was delicious!

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
No. :mrgreen: I had a salad at work this week which included a bit of sunflower seeds and edamame. It was a dry salad, and I added my own balsamic vinegar for dressing. Moving on from this and back to the checklist for upcoming week.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
No. :mrgreen: Salad referenced in 5 also had a bit of dried cranberries.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes –no starving or stuffing. I do still have random days when I eat a clip more than others for reasons that I don’t understand. I am HUNGRY and I do eat recommended food (recommended fashion) and this hasn’t impacted my scale weight. One day this week I feel like I ate some of everything that I had in the refrigerator – and ate at least 6 times.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. Walked briskly 5/7 days outside. Had a splish-splashy walk one day in sleet where some streets had pretty deep puddles. Note to self to wear BOOTS in this type of weather!!! Have started gently nudging myself to do some strength / flexibility exercises. This is going ok so far (not a “strength” of mine for sure) --- had already incorporated short, but consistent balance routine.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Question – not sure if anyone has experienced what I mention on 9 with volume of food eaten not consistent day to day? I’m not concerned, but it just is very strange to me! I would understand if I had more activity on one day versus the other, but this is not the case.

Comment 1 –
Have 2 holiday parties back-to-back next weekend. Planning to bring fruit tray and veggie tray with hummus / dip to each of them. Have been finding some fun ones to assemble. Also, planning to bring Jeff burger and potato in purse!!! Will walk around and steer clear of any food tables! Also, will eat prior to going.

Comment 2 –
Loved Mark’s thought last week - “good comrades are a prize of great value”. In that spirit, below are some thoughts to fellow members of this group! Will also reiterate Gimmelean’s comment last week – hope that prior folks we haven’t “seen” here for a while are doing well!!!

Rebecka --- OMG --- your exercise is amazing!!! Way to go in embedding this habit!!! Also, agree with you that planning is so critical!

Holly --- You type awesome on an IPhone!!! Love how you were able to stay on track at friend’s place eating different foods --- thanks for sharing your example!!! And, YES --- you CAN do it!!!! Love how you have incorporated pickleball into your life! I know that you will find a way to deal with volume eating – admire your persistence and positivity!!!

Gimmelean – Love how you mentioned for exercise “permission” to do 30 minutes a day. YES! I agree 100% --- and think keeping this in mind helps with consistency! I appreciate that you related to my “challenge” comment because I felt a bit “out there” putting it into words. Also, YES --- MWL has worked for me too “where nothing else in the past has worked”… Thank you for sharing meditation app. I have checked it out and will nudge myself to incorporate this into my routine!

Beth, So, I am now standing on my head… (JK!!!)… :lol: Loved your thoughts on how to plate your meals for #9… Thanks for sharing on your challenges. Glad that you related to one I had listed – which I think also comes down to “fear of failure / inner critic”. Appreciate you sharing how you deal with this – including how you mentioned the importance of the support network that you have built. I have found the same – that this is so helpful in making things easier and building confidence. By the way, you walk an amazing amount of steps in daily life!!! YAY!

Eric – wishing you well in recovering from plantar fasciitis. I used to run (many moons ago) and had this once – so can commiserate. Take care and hope you are back to your schedule soon!!!

Noella - Wishing you the best with your knee situation resolving. Glad you are actively seeking treatment help. Love your positivity on the checklist!!!

Greens - Awesome that you reported for last week!!! Agree with you 100% on – “So nice not being alone trying to adhere to this way of living.” YES!!!

BambiS – That “happy balance” is so important!!! Not sure if this is helpful, but I have found it so important to eat enough starch (with some veg / fruit) to manage hunger. I am convinced that NOT being hungry is key to keeping to this checklist / MWL compliant foods.

Drew – Hope that you are continuing to recover from your surgery and getting back into the swing of MWL!

Hope that everyone has a phenomenal week!! :)

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Ejg » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:49 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. mostly yes but not 100%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. same as above, mostly but not 100%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. I had to go to a work holiday party yesterday and ordered two plain baked potatoes that the waitress delivered with salt already applied to the skin. Other than that, I think compliance with this one was high
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. no, I had a few handfuls of my daughter's goldfish crackers that I pack for her lunch. more below
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). no, I had a glass of cider I made, more below
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). eh, maybe 50%, still nursing my injured foot

Despite rarely ever drinking I decided a few weeks ago to brew some hard cider (I used to make wine and beer all the time but don't really drink anymore, so haven't brewed in forever). I was transferring the contents from one glass jug to another prior to bottling and poured myself a glass to see what it tasted like. It was not good but definitely had alcohol in it, which led to a moment of weakness in which I helped myself to a few handfuls of my daughter's goldfish crackers. I recognized that drinking alcohol violated rule #8, and also led to poor decisions (resulting in a violation of rule 7) so dumped all the cider down the drain (it didn't taste good anyway). Other than that, kind of felt blah this week due to not getting outside and running as much as usual due to my injured foot -- running keeps me sane, especially in winter....forces me to get outside. I'm looking forward to this healing soon. Compliance this week was good enough apparently, but I'm looking forward to getting back to my old routine. I've found that discipline for me in one area compounds and leads to discipline in all areas of life. Have a great week to all fellow travellers. Week over week change: -2, cumulative change: -8
Though it feels malevolent, resistance operates with the indifference of rain and transits the heavens by the same laws as the stars. When we marshal our forces to combat resistance, we must remember this.
Ejg

Postby Greens » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:15 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Reduced but not eliminated
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes, this is the easiest for others to understand and not press me on.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No I find it hard to refuse thing people make for me. After a horse lesson with a friend, she brought a PBJ for our ride home and fruit leather she had made. The bread was whole grain, the peanut butter freshly ground at health food store. Much harder to refuse than the pot luck Christmas party I went to and just drank a black coffee and ate raw veggies. How do others handle this without alienating kind friends.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). No. Had a glass of wine while on vacation.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 6/7

When eating at home it is so much easier to maintain my eating plan, even with my husband’s noncompliant foods. The challenge for me is when I’m out with friends. The thing I do well is set up my environment at home to make MWL easy.

Noella, I can relate to the knee issue. I’ve had my right knee replaced and my left was going. With the diet change and maybe the few more pounds I’m down, I can walk more than 10,000 steps and not hurt. Hugely motivating for me.
Greens

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:48 am

Hello fellow Time & Adherence travelers! Coming in just under the wire once again. I will be back shortly to edit this for readability and typos, but here is the rough draft for 12/10/22:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO – snacked on some high sugar items this week.

6. Eliminate any added oil. NO – snacked on some higher fat (added fat) items this week.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO – those darn snack items contained flour, of course.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES – I feel better about how I did here than in previous weeks.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO – I’ve gotten doctor clearance to return to full activity, but I haven’t!

Victories: Snacked on some very non-MWL Compliant items, but it didn’t turn into a Binge Fest, which is a first! I also noted that I felt HORRIBLE physically and mentally after this departure from my plan. I really don’t care to do that again.

Comments: Still adjusting mentally to being (we think) in my “goal weight range” of 144 – 149. I was 146 this morning. Working to dismiss thoughts of “now I’m at goal – now I can indulge…” You know the drill.

Funny side note – I thought I was going to have a panic attack when I realized I was down to only 3 already cooked potatoes in the fridge, and was out of my Sam’s Club bag of Jumbo Russets! Geez! It’s not like there is a food shortage going on LOL! Not to mention that I have a pantry full of other starches – all manner of grains, beans, etc. Also frozen potatoes and dehydrated potatoes! Nobody is starving around here any time soon, even if the grocery stores shut down for a month! So it was just humorous to me to notice this “panic over potatoes” feeling! I did go to Sam’s this morning and get another giant bag of Jumbo Russets!

Concerns: Well, we already know about my concerns over maintaining for the long haul. I just need to stay focused and keep coming back!

Questions:
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Noella » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:47 pm

1. Start each meal with soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :-D Yes, mostly, but not as easy this week as we are travelling
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. :-D Yes... mostly...trying
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can stop them. :roll: Sugar: oops No ...I got into some sweet/salty junk
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D Yes...I'm okay with this. I can usually say , "No thank you."
5. Eliminate all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :roll: Yes...I can usually do this. Tricky this week...
6. Eliminate any added oil. :-D Yes...I can cook delicious meals without added oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods, including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :D Yes...I can say, "No thank you. "
8. Don’t drink calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D Yes...I can do this!
9. Follow these principles, eat whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself, and don't stuff yourself. :-D Yes...I always eat enough to feel satisfied; I sometimes overeat but if its all MWL approved it doesn't cause me too much grief with weight gain. This is an area I want to do much better with.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :-D Yes...I'm doing gentle exercises set out by a physiotherapist to help strengthen my knees. It's going well.

Quote I really like: “There are two things. First, keep it simple. This includes your food, recipes, meals and even exercise. It’s not about extremism with your health. It’s about a simple and common-sense approach to good health.  Start where you are and begin to move forward.

Second, be willing to put your health needs first and foremost. This is not selfish; it’s self-nurturing. You have to take care of yourself and that’s a very good thing.” Jeff Novick Nov. 4, 2016
Last edited by Noella on Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Reporting for December 9 Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:08 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for December 9

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:14 pm

BambiS - Finding a happy balance is a laudable goal! Focus on the recommended behaviors to the best of your capabilities; including adequate starch is key for durable success. As you observed, "cutting back" on the recommended foods in the presence of hunger often leads to those "bites of stuff" that are not recommended. :)

Rebecka22 - Looks like you did GREAT this week! Creating the conditions that support success under varying circumstances is the ultimate target, right? I think being "best friends" with planning is a really interesting and useful way of framing that idea. Thanks for sharing and keep it up!

Hjklost55 - Making your way through the holidays without sacrificing the adherence that supports our efforts can definitely feel really daunting at times, right? It is certainly a worthy goal, though. :D Feeling your resolve strengthen each day, as you make the choice NOT to veer off course, seems like a very virtuous cycle to reinforce. Just to clarify, under the most current MWL guidelines, whole grain pasta is acceptable for the starch component of a meal, within the constraints Jeff describes here. When you were eating the pasta, did you feel like you were eating it in the absence of hunger or past the point of being comfortable? If so, it would be a good idea to be mindful to eat the pasta with an equal volume of non starchy vegetables. In general, that is an adjustment I might make to "fine tune" things: consuming starches with an equal visual volume of non starchy vegetables (or fruits). Another idea is the one you mentioned, taking a 15 or 20 minute break after eating a main serving (perhaps getting up and doing something else, or changing rooms) before having a second helping. I think you've been doing well overall, Holly - you seem to be focused on maintaining the recommended pattern of behavior, and your awareness of holiday temptation and determination to stay on track in the face of that are admirable. Carry on with your efforts, give yourself some time, and treat yourself kindly. :)

Gimmelean - I've been considering getting one of those adjustable "smart desks" myself; have you been fairly satisfied with the desk you use at work? It seems like you are planning to be well-prepared for the coming weeks holiday-related challenges; that is great! I certainly find it much easier in the long run to "avoid getting into trouble," rather than extricating myself after I've landed in it. :-D

VegSeekingFit - It sounds like you're becoming a real pro at navigating these holiday events successfully! :thumbsup:
VegSeekingFit wrote:not sure if anyone has experienced what I mention on 9 with volume of food eaten not consistent day to day?
For the most part, I'm pretty consistent, but I do experience what you are describing from time to time. It seems to me that the processes of consuming, digesting, and absorbing food, as well as expending energy in various ways (some of which are not always apparent) is complicated enough that it would be hard to nail down a reason for these variations outside of a laboratory. If I had to guess, it is most likely minor variations in overall average calorie density and energy expenditure that gradually accrue to the point where one's hunger drive kicks in to maintain equilibrium. To me, this makes a certain amount of sense because those of us diligently practicing MWL in maintenance are almost inevitably "coasting" very close to a calorie deficit, so it wouldn't be too hard to visualize a few "dips" in average calorie density resulting in some corrective "surges" in appetite. But again, that is just my guess. :| :D

Ejg - Sorry this week felt a bit "blah," Eric; I can imagine how this injury temporarily removing a healthy coping mechanism (especially one that you particularly value) can feel both frustrating and, perhaps, demotivating. :nod: Despite all that, you definitely made progress in adherence this week as compared to last. Kudos to you for taking direct action to "clean up" your environment in support of the behaviors you want to attain and maintain! :thumbsup: Focus on practicing the recommended pattern of behavior to the best of your ability, assess and adjust when you hit an obstacle, and treat yourself kindly. You'll see more positive results ahead. :nod:

Greens -
Greens wrote:The thing I do well is set up my environment at home to make MWL easy.
Awesome! That is an incredibly valuable skill to have cultivated, Marilyn! :D The social context that surrounds food and eating can make things get complicated pretty quickly, right? And certainly, maintaining our valuable relationships and friendships is important for a satisfying life. As you observe, for some of us it can be much harder to say "No" to foods that are calorie rich, but otherwise relatively healthful, than passing up tables filled with junk foods. For me, it has been a gradual process of having open and honest conversations with my friends and family about why I'm practicing a particular behavior. I've found it has been helpful to keep the onus on me and my personal choices, with extra effort applied to ensure others don't feel judged or slighted. This is probably a bit easier in my case; since I suffer from an ongoing chronic disease, it is pretty easy to just blame it on my "weird" condition and leave it at that, if necessary. I think being comfortable and authentic in these situations comes with time and experience, and A LOT of trial and error.

Lizzy_F - POTATO EMERGENCY SIREN! :lol:
Lizzy_F wrote: Working to dismiss thoughts of “now I’m at goal – now I can indulge…” You know the drill.
I think those thoughts arise pretty naturally and readily, and they certainly tend to be reinforced (even encouraged) by our broader society and culture.
Mark Cooper wrote:Generally speaking, the prevailing pattern of behavior necessary to sustain a given outcome (and a particular point of equilibrium) will be the same overall pattern of behavior that achieved those results. That isn't to say that one can't occasionally include some more calorie dense foods; but rather, that habits should remain consistent overall. Personally, I've continued to adhere to the MWL 10-Point Checklist while in "maintenance."
I think wildgoose's post on determining "goal weight" is very informative in this regard, and this post from Jeff may help offer some context, too. Onward!

Noella - I'm so happy to know that your therapeutic exercise is going well! :D :thumbsup: Travel always presents challenges, right? Some hurdles are the same, and easy to recognize. Sometimes brand new obstacles appear in front of us, and it can be easy to stumble. The best we can do is try to meet our challenges with poise and aplomb. I liked the quote you shared so much, I thought I would share it, too. :lol:
JeffN wrote:There are two things. First, keep it simple. This includes your food, recipes, meals and even exercise. It’s not about extremism with your health. It’s about a simple and common-sense approach to good health. Start where you are and begin to move forward. Second, be willing to put your health needs first and foremost. This is not selfish; it’s self-nurturing. You have to take care of yourself and that’s a very good thing.
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program