December 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:03 am

Thank you so much to everyone who has weighed-in or checked-in for our final tally of 2017. We did amazing overall! Participants lost a total of 788 pounds this year.
The almost 800-pound gorilla has left the room. We have shown ourselves that weigh-loss is not insurmountable. It takes effort and perseverance and understanding of why the MWL guidelines recommend what they do.
As with a few of you, I've been a bit frustrated with the fact that my weight loss has stalled. This final week has had me reflecting on some of the little mental strategies I have learned over the past few years to keep myself motivated and satisfied with my progress. I'd like to share them with you all:

A) Avoid putting a time limit on reaching a specific weight loss goal. If you do, this can lead to disappointment in yourself over something you can't control. You can control what you put in your mouth but you don't get a say in what happens after you swallow; how your body processes that food is now out of your hands, literally.

B) Don't get caught up on a specific weight number. This could be what you weighed in high school, or on your wedding day or what the chart on the wall at your doctor's office says you should weigh. Our bodies come in many different shapes and sizes and may not exactly conform to what we think they should. By following the recommended MWL guidelines you will eventually get to where your body can reasonably take you.

C) Pay attention and reflect on your food choices. Like Jeff posted about earlier this month, though the overall dietary pattern is of great importance, so too can the details be. Take time, periodically, to really compare what you have eaten with what you think you are eating. How close to the guidelines are you? This is most important if you are not reaching what you believe to be a realistic goal.

D) Be kind in every interaction, including those with yourself. It's more than just the Golden Rule, kindness truly does beget kindness. With regards to weight loss, our brains can have competing interests in which a short term desire can win over a longer term one. Don't be too hard on yourself when peanut butter (or brittle) wins over potatoes. Just get right back on track as soon as you can. By being gentle with yourself you can avoid falling into Dr. Lisle's Ego Trap.

E) When stuck, and frustrated, seek out help. You can reach out to the community on this weight-loss thread, or to the many Star McDougallers and long-term practitioners of this way of eating. Many of them eat a maximum weight-loss style McDougall plan even when they have no weight (or no more weight) to lose. Jeff Novick's forum is filled with answers to all of the lifestyle and nutrition questions pertinent to this way of eating that you can think of. Dr. McDougall and Dr. Lim respond to emails too!

F) Most importantly, just keep at it!

These reminders are helpful to me right now because a part of me wants to bemoan the fact that I am the same weight as this time last year. When, maybe, I should be celebrating that fact! I AM STILL the same weight as I was this time last year. Yahoo! That's pretty darn good as compared to research statistics on long term weight maintenance and my personal history of whiplash inducing yo-yo dieting.
So if you have made progress but have stalled for a bit too, try to remember how far you have come (as Jeff said to me earlier this year). Celebrate your good health, your good choices and your perseverance. All the rest will come with time. Practice feeling grateful.

My hope and wish for all of you this coming year is for peace. Personal inner peace. I think in our little domain of weight loss that means I'm hoping you will all continue to do your best to reach your goals because that will bring you the satisfaction and happiness of a job well-done - and whether you want to call that inner peace or self-esteem, that's up to you.

I look forward to continuing our journey together in the New Year! I am so grateful to Dr. McDougall, his family and staff for shining a light on this path to great health and for ensuring anyone who wants to learn has access to all that they need for success.

Amy XO

Here are the results for the fifth week in December:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, January 5th, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2017: 788.06 pounds

December 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 44.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2017: 34.9 pounds
Total group loss in August 2017: 59.6 pounds
Total group loss in September 2017: 41.9 pounds
Total group loss in October 2017: 41.7 pounds
Total group loss in November 2017: 70.4 pounds
Total group loss in December 2017: 45.8 pounds

Week ending 12/29/2017: 10 participants reported a total gain of 6.6 pounds
---------------------------------------
Suey51 - 1.2
Zsilent1 - 4.0
Galooop - 4.0
Petmomful - 1.8
amandamechele - 2.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 13
--------------------------------------
Moonlight - 3.0
Wild goose - 1.4
BeHealthy - 1.0
Anne57 - 0.0
Svenja - 1.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 6.4
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in December 2017: 45.8 pounds
Week ending 12/29/2017: 10 participants reported a total gain of 6.6 pounds
Week ending 12/22/2017: 12 participants reported a total loss of 8.4 pounds
Week ending 12/15/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 18.9 pounds
Week ending 12/08/2017: 16 participants reported a total loss of 9.7 pounds
Week ending 12/01/2017: 21 participants reported a total loss of 15.4 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby zsilent1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:33 am

[b]Thank You Amy! [b] for your kind words, wisdom and for blazing this path for us. I truly appreciate all you do! :)

I welcome 2018 being a starch eatin McDougaller! Healthy & Happy 2018 Group Mates! :-D
Susan
zsilent1

Postby moonlight » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:39 am

Amy,
Thank you for all your time and thoughtful support on this forum. I'm going to post your suggestions so I can read them frequently. They are all spot on. Congratulations on keeping your weight stable. I think it is as difficult to keep the weight off, if not more difficult. And, I love your pictures!

My new year's wish for all of you sharing this journey for better health, may you continue to reach for your dreams, but may you have a good time doing it! Love & Warmth
moonlight

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:31 pm

Susan - XO. I appreciate you being here.

Moonlight - Thank you and thank you. :) What a beautiful wish for us all.

Here is the link to the January Thread. See you all on Friday!
amandamechele

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program