Mary Mini and Easter

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby prairiedream » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:59 am

Okay, you guys are inspiring me and I do need to lose a few pounds, so I'm going to start Mary's mini this Monday (March 19th). I'll do it for at least 10 days, I don't know if I can last until Easter though. I'm starting Monday because St. Paddy's Day is my hubby's b-day and he wants to eat apple pie, so I don't know if I can resist that, so Monday will be a good day for me to start.
prairiedream

Gone now-Sunday

Postby jmgoforth » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:21 am

I will be with 5000 screaming kids at Aquire the Fire, 11 of which are from our church. I know we will be eating fast foods. I will do my very best but won't have much say where we eat. I did not loose any this AM. But have lost almost 10 Lbs. for which I'm very greatful. Talk to you Monday.
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Postby ReneeK » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:38 am

I overcame a tremendous obstacle yesterday. I have always had difficulty sticking to the plan when dining out. To the point that I consider going out a treat and a reason to cheat. Well, I was on the go last night and didn't have time to stop at home to throw a potato and veggies in the microwave. I stopped at a sandwich shoppe that has baked potatoes and ordered a baked potato with just steamed broccoli. The whole time the girl was preparing it, she kept asking me "Are you sure you don't want cheese, or butter, or sour cream?" She couldn't believe I was eating a baked potato with just broccoli on it. I think her repeatedly asking me added to the look of shock on her face gave me strength to follow through and refuse those rich, terribly unhealthy toppings. I kind of even felt empowered afterwards.
ReneeK

way to go Renee!

Postby slimkat » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:25 am

Hi Renee,
Good for you for resisting temptation while on the go!:D
It's the "small" victories that really matter.
A blob of butter or sour cream added to your diet every day for a year would result in a weight gain of 5 + lbs.

Have a good weekend!

SlimKat
[/url]
slimkat

Postby Sunny » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:51 am

What I ate Friday:

B- potatoes O'Brien

L- baked potato w/ beans

D- salad w/veggies /baked potato

Snack- carrots/ orange

Drink- water

Took the day off from exercise :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:10 am

What I ate Saturday:

B- hashbrowns

L- Mashed potatoes w/ spinach

D- baked potato and salad

Snack- orange / carrots

Drink- water
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Home,Sweet Home

Postby jmgoforth » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:46 am

Home is a sweetness you can eat.
I spent the week-end with 4 car loads of teens.
Fast foods is all this younger generation knows.
We didn't eat supper until 10:30 PM. I had a salad.Got to bed at 11:30 PM.
Boy snoring from 3-4 AM. Up at 6:30 AM.
Breakfast at Hotel-Terrible choices.!!
Lunch- Salad
Supper- Potatoes at a buffet Adults were screaming for veggies!
Breakfast Hashbrowns
Lunch-Beans and Salad
Snack- Mashed Potatoes
Supper Late- Salad Beans

Change is always difficult-
Eating out all week-end is horrible. But I'm Home!
Chaplain Mike
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Postby ReneeK » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:07 pm

I remember Aquire the Fire weekend. Seems oh so long ago. Hopefully you can rest up from your lack of sleep.

This weekend was a pretty good one for me. It's becoming easier and easier to make healthy decisions.
I made an incredible potato salad on Saturday. I found the recipe on fatfreevegan.com (Thank you SusanV for such a great website and blog). I think it was called Garden Vegetable Pistachio Potato Salad. It was high on the fat-content, but I had some Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream and Veganaise to use up. I brought some to share with my coworkers, as I can easily see myself going overboard with it.
Another good recipe I tried this weekend was the Sweet Potato Breakfast. I think it's found in the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss book. I omitted the banana as I didn't have any in the house, but it was wonderful! I can easily see myself eating that regularly for breakfast.

While I haven't followed the guidelines of this challenge faithfully, it has been very beneficial to me thus far. Every day it is becoming easier and easier to make McD friendly dishes. I'm learning that this diet isn't about perfection. It's about making sound choices. I still don't chose strictly McDougall all the time, but the times I choose to eat off the plan are coming closer and closer to McDougall friendly choices. Plain baked potato as opposed to butter or sour cream. Vegan mayonnaise in potato salad. Steamed veggies instead of french fries. "No thanks, I don't want popcorn at the movies." And while on Sunday I did enjoy that cappuccino made with 2% instead of whole milk, I did not add the sugary Creme de Menthe and chocolate syrups that was previously the norm. I am discovering that the vegetable filling of the egg roll is just as delicious without the greasy egg roll wrapper.

I'm also finding that I DO have five minutes each night to use the ab roller. Sure, I can get up from my desk and walk a few laps around the office building a couple times a day. Hey, it even gives me a chance to chat with co-workers whom I never see being cooped upstairs in the far corner. And I'm itching for warmer weather to get my bicycle out. Hey, I wonder how much gas I'll save if I bicycle to work instead of drive those 18 blocks? What a great stress-reliever it is to leash up my dog and walk around the neighborhood. She's a great accountability partner because she WILL remind me if we haven't been for our walk yet.

I guess in my rambling I'm saying that although when it comes to sticking to guidelines, I have failed miserably in this challenge. More importantly, I have greatly succeeded in becoming aware of the lifestyle decisions I make all day long. It's easier and easier to follow this lifestyle all the time.
ReneeK

Postby prairiedream » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:57 am

My first day on Mary's mini-diet was yesterday. It was easy to follow yesterday because I love potatoes. Here's what I ate:

B - 3 baked potatoes
green beans/peas

L - boiled potatoes
salad with lemon juice
green beans/peas

Snack - salad w/lemon juice

D - 3 baked potatoes
salad with lemon juice/balsamic vinegar
green beans/peas

Snack - banana

I thought I might feel hungry but I didn't, I felt good.
prairiedream

Postby ReneeK » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:28 am

B: sweet potato; banana; 1/2 apple

S: coffee with soy creamer

L: boiled red potatoes; steamed peas and mushrooms

D: potato salad; steamed vegetables
ReneeK

Starting Mary's Mini today.

Postby Mrs Missakian » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:44 am

I'm taking my cues from the menu's you guys have posted but I'm scared that I'm doing it all wrong. For breakfast I had hash brown potatoes with a green chili sauce, topped with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes. Okay, I've committed to potatoes. If I'm understanding this correctly, I am to stick with potatoes and leave rice alone. I can have all the vegetable's I want. Should I stay away from fruit? How about honey? Bread, flour tortillas, and pitas are off limits. No soy products. Fruit is okay. Is there anything I'm leaving out? Am I understanding this correctly?
Mrs Missakian

Every Day is Easier

Postby jmgoforth » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:58 pm

My wife loves the fact there are very few dishes at the meals.

Well I'm encouraged!

Breakfast-Hash Browns

Lunch- Baked Potato and Broccoli and green beans.

Super-Raw Carrots, mashed potatoes

Snack-Baked Potato

40 minutes on bike.

Don't give up-I see the goal line. Run,walk,or crawl but just keep moving in the right direction.
jmgoforth

Mrs Missakian & More

Postby Wendy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:24 pm

What a great idea! Would like to join in starting tomorrow, March 21.

My passion is brown rice, so I'm going to go with that. As Mary McDougall specified, I will need to add a vegetable, so my menu will be the same, since this menu includes my favorite foods:

Breakfast: Brown Rice w/ Grapefruit or Orange

Lunch: Brown Rice w/ carrots

Dinner: Brown Rice w/ greens (green beans or asparagus)

Snacks: More brown rice with carrots!

In answer to your question, Mrs. Missakian, Mary said in her articles that if you don't pick the potato or the sweet potato then you need to add a vegetable.

Now, if this challenge were just 10 days, as Mary and Dr. McDougall originally did, then I'd say be very, very strict and stay with just the one starch and one vegetable. However, since this lasts a bit longer, ANY healthful eating pattern emerging from this challenge, in my book, makes you and this challenge a WINNER.

Have fun. That's my goal. All we have to do is eat the right foods. It seems to simple, so I will try to make it just that...simple.

With Easter in mind,
Wendy
Wendy

Postby Sunny » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:04 am

This is what I ate yesterday:

B- potatoes O' Brien

L- beans & rice

D- mashed potatoes w/ spinach

Snack- orange/ banana

Drink- water

Down another pound, feel great. :-D Hope everyone has a great day :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Postby ReneeK » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:45 am

Sounds like everyone is doing so well on this challenge. Congratulations to all!

B: Sweet Potato Beginnings (MWL book); coffee with soy creamer

L: Potato salad; steamed california blend veggies

D: church dinner tonight

I went out with a friend of mine the other day and was telling her about this way of life. She was really supportive, even took down some of the new recipes I've made and wants to tag along next time I go to the HFS. She is not overweight by any means but has some health problems that she realizes could be diet-related. Maybe if she sees how well I'm doing she'll come onboard.
ReneeK

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program