September 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Pattyj115 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:08 pm

This Week Loss: - 0.6
Total Change as of July 3, 2020 11.4

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit: NO
2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals: YES
3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts: NO
4 Eliminate all animal foods: YES
5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods: YES
6 Eliminate any added oil: NO
7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods: NO
8 Don’t drink your calories: Never
9 Follow these principles, eating when hungry - stop when comfortably full: YES
10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily: Less exercise this week because of increase in pain, so sick of this pain….

There seems to be a pattern here of starting the week super right on, with exercising and following the 10 point checklist and then the pain kicks in and exercise slows to a stop and eating gets out of control and I am not following the 10 pt checklist on some of the points. I start so good and end so bad. Soooo, this week is now in the rearview mirror. Looking forward, not backward, setting daily goals rather than a weekly goal, taking it one day at a time. And I need to practice the NO! word…. No … No thanks … Not today …. No, I’d rather have…. Thanks anyway!
Pattyj115 -- I want to feel younger next year!!

Pattyj115

Postby Drew* » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Weekly weight on Friday…9/11/2020...

170.9 lb -.6 lb (from last weigh-in two weeks ago)
BMI: 25.06

Points of success...

I was strong on MWL for 4-5 days this week.

Challenges...

…I certainly could improve on days where I am tempted with exceptions that add up. I will not attempt any percentages this week because the goal should be a week at 100%. Being mindful each day, especially today, with forest fire smoke in the NW and staying indoors may help. I said a couple weeks ago that prep is important and will get on it more fully this coming week…

The other challenge is that I let my journal slide two weeks ago...I have since corrected this and am keeping tabs when in compliance. Yesterday was not so great. No meat, dairy, or eggs is a given, but the rest of the stuff on the list is also important!

What needs greater attention?

Finding time to be mindful could help...

General impressions

I figured out that the baked breakfast millet squares are excellent for lunch and dinner too! I found that the millet and couscous were helpful for quick extra starch on the MWL plan! And I finally got a shipment of S&B Oriental Curry Powder (six tins) and it is great in canned tomatoes on the SNAP recipe.

Thanks Mark for your welcome back after a week of not reporting to the group!

Drew*
Drew*

Reporting for September 11 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:00 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for September 11 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Kathie - At least the scale has started shifting back in the preferred direction! Every week (and day) offers a fresh opportunity to refocus, and renew our efforts in aligning our behavior with the recommendations. When things are feeling especially difficult, I think it is really important to concentrate on eating of the recommended foods, whenever you're feeling hungry; it helps fortify one's "willpower." Were there particular situations or developments this week that posed a challenge? Were the difficulties mainly at a specific time of day, or position in your routine? It isn't easy to make these changes, so treat yourself with compassion, capture any lessons that present themselves, and get right back to the guidelines. :)

Abe - Fantastic! Maybe "bellyaching" burns calories! :lol: I had a feeling the scale would denote your progress before too long. :D That Mexican Beans and Rice recipe is one of my all time favorites.
Abe wrote:The moral of the story is that I just need to stick with it, and not worry about how long it takes.
I think you have it right here. Let me offer some big congratulations on achieving those outstanding changes in your cholesterol levels! :thumbsup: Onward and downward!

VivianS - Farewell to yet another pound! Great work fitting in time for swimming! Keep chipping away at those remaining 3 points that are still a bit challenging. I think enlisting your nephew to help with having that adherent, ready to go brown rice on hand is a great idea! Wildgoose offered some really helpful information regarding how to easily freeze and store rice, as well as some oil-free microwave ready varieties. I use Jeff's method for cooking brown rice; it's pretty easy and always turns out great. Thank you for your very kind words, and your kind manner overall. Everyone who keeps trying their best to make these changes feels like a "WINNER" to me! :D

laura_delao - Down a pound! Well done putting in the thought and effort to navigate those four meals out as well as possible! I think making a meal out of various side dishes can often be a workable strategy, and depending on the specifics can even present a completely adherent meal; Jeff has a fun thread in this spirit about his "Wendy's Diet." Keep making those improvements where you see the opportunity!

chef16 - Those pounds just keep dropping! I'm sorry to hear your father has been in the hospital and wish him the best. Even though this week wasn't feeling graceful, you made it through. Learning to improvise effectively in a variety of situations seems like a very valuable skill. Your specific situation during the work day definitely doesn't make things easy, but keep doing the best you can. Would it be possible to talk to someone in food service about making some other options available? When looking back across the MWL 10-Point Checklist, you really have quite a number of the recommended behaviors down pat - keep at it!

PonysPlants - The "pound-a-week club" has quite a roster this week! Nice work avoiding any pleasure traps! I hope your cat is doing well. With continuing attention to the recommended pattern of behavior, you'll reach that BMI milestone before you know it. Dr. McDougall discusses the effect this WOE can have on hormone levels and hormone dependent diseases here, which I think possibly offers some insight into changes in fluid retention during the menstrual cycle.

Reni - Hooray! I'm sorry you were feeling poorly, and glad you are on the mend now. Nice work getting right back to the recommended behaviors once you recovered. I want to applaud the way you appraised and analyzed this week's struggles - you thought through the situation, came up with a solution for the future, and put together a plan for being better prepared next time. :thumbsup:

Dot - 2 more pounds gone this week! Give yourself a pat on the back for being prepared with those roasted potatoes, and choosing to have those rather than continuing with the more troublesome options. I have a small silicone dressing container that I fill with lemon juice and vinegar, really great for dining out. "Buoyant" seems like a delightful way to be feeling! Maybe that afternoon hurdle when cravings tend to make an appearance might be a good time to take a walk? Having a quick, easy 50/50 snack/meal ready to go always helps, too. I used to keep cold oatmeal and berries in the fridge if I needed an afternoon snack. Thank you for your kind words, you are most welcome. :)

Diane Marie - Dr. Lisle discusses his "starch targets" in his presentation on The Slow Fast Way: The Steady Path To Your Goals for the New Year, I believe.

squealcat - Way to hang in there (by your toes)! Glad you enjoyed that soup! Do you think this week's powerful urges had any particular inciting incident? Anything different about your routine, preparation, planning or environment? Or just fighting to climb out of the Pleasure Trap? The best way to beat cravings is by eating the recommended foods, knowing that if you avoid indulging them, they will fade with time. Having those foods ready and easily accessible is key. Potatoes always work great for me. Cheers to swinging with your hands, rather than dangling by the toes, Marilyn!

oneesotericgirl - It sounds like this week felt tough, but you are still making progress; try not to beat yourself up. If salad seems unappealing to you right now, soup might be a superior option. Wildgoose offered some excellent advice about different approaches to the struggle against cravings. I think this presentation might also offer some insight - Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works. On the days when my CRPS makes some forms of exercise more difficult, I've had great success with chair cardio routines and various low-impact workouts - could be worth a try. It seems to me that Jeff's Hedge Your Health article speaks directly to the "lesser of two evils" question, so that might be worth reviewing, too. Keep doing the things you are able to do!

Growing a Pear - Fun to see that rolling average continue to drop! Cereal aside, you did great with the checklist; I think you may be right that behaviors that start to feel normal and habituated can cease to feel like accomplishments. That's another way assessing with the checklist helps to give us an accurate picture, it brings attention to all the things we might not notice that we're doing RIGHT, too. That oatmeal "pudding" seems like a good plan for conquering the cereal challenge. Walking out of your pants may be the jolliest non-scale victory I've ever heard about! :lol: Glad you didn't get hurt!

OrangeBird - WOWZA! That is a big result! Excellent effort adhering to the MWL principles. :thumbsup: Onward to the wedding!

Hope410 - Nice progress! I think you are absolutely correct to observe that adequate preparation can often be the key to staying on track. Enjoy those walks!

Lucas - Don't be too hard on yourself! All of the recommended behaviors and guidelines are of value for best supporting continuing progress, but some extra fruit definitely seems like a preferable choice in place of ice cream. Keep striving to adhere to the MWL 10-Point Checklist as closely as you are able, be kind to yourself if setbacks happen, and try not to attach too much significance to any given week's weigh-in result. You seem to be doing great with 8 of the 10 points, just keep attending to those final 2. The prevailing pattern of behavior is what will ultimately deliver the outcomes.

LittlestTree - A big drop on the scale again this week! Well done eliminating the soy milk, and great adherence overall! Not bringing any more jam into your environment seems like a sensible choice. Carry on!

Pattyj115 - Ugh! I'm so sorry you've been beset with increasing pain! I can definitely relate to how difficult that can make everything feel. Taking things one day at a time, and concentrating on doing the best you can each day (or even at each meal) seems like an appropriate approach. It might make sense to just really focus on getting the food right, take things easier on the exercise if and when you need to, and strive for continuing improvement rather than feeling like shortcomings in a particular area are dragging everything else down. Hang in there!

Drew* - Movement in the right direction! You correctly observe that all the recommended behaviors on the checklist have worth and serve a purpose in moving us toward our goals. At the same time, we are all a "work in progress," so try to treat yourself kindly, too. Making use of your journal seems like a valuable means of support, and planning and preparing to succeed is essential. Enjoy your millet and don't give up. You'll conquer those temptations with time, adherence, & prep. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Noella » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:03 pm

..sorry...I see I missed the deadline by three minutes...I apologize to you, Mark.
Last edited by Noella on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Noella

Postby Noella » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:19 pm

-6 lbs.
Hi Mark! Hi everyone!
Yes! Back on track...
I’m right back to following all of the MWL guidelines as carefully as possible. Mark and Wildgoose’s advice really helped me to get through this week with focus and determination to undo the weight gain from travelling.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :nod:
2. Follow the 50/50 method for your meals, half, by visual volume, non-starchy vegetables and the other half, by visual volume, with minimally processed starchy vegetables, legumes, lentils and whole grains. Choose fruit for dessert. :nod:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :nod: I am astonished about the effect of salt. This week I had almost zero salt!
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :nod:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :nod:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :nod:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :nod:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :nod:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :nod:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :nod:

Observations: I kept my focus on giving myself positive self-talk and building confidence in myself that I know what to do, it has been working for eight months, and I can do a little better each day going forward.

I am SO grateful for this group! Thank you, Mark. Thank You Wildgoose. Thank you, Jeff. Your advice exceeds my expectations. Thank you!
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Noella

Postby wildgoose » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Diane Marie wrote:Hi Goose - many thanks for your supportive words of encouragement. I've not heard of Dr Lisle's "Starch Targets" - can you elaborate a bit more or direct me to where I can find more information? Many thanks,
Diane Marie

Diane Marie, Mark was right with the link that he gave you, but here it is again, just in case you need it. Starch targets are discussed in Dr. Doug Lisle's webinar The Slow Fast Way. He developed the idea as a way to do a good enough job to stay out of the Pleasure Trap but to not set the bar so high that you give up in frustration. Combine his ideas with the MWL checklist, or start with Starch Targets and work into the MWL Checklist as your life circumstances permit.

@oneesotericgirl, if you’re reading this, I’d also recommend this webinar for you if you decide to follow the Tortoise approach that I talked about in my earlier post. It’s where I got the Tortoise concept in the first place!

Mark had a great suggestion of the Doug Lisle webinar on Willpower as well. Willpower is a finite resource. That’s why I wanted to get rid of most of the cravings — because I was running out of resources to try to control or fight them.

This is a simple program, but it’s definitely not easy. If it were, everybody would be thin and healthy. The Pleasure Trap is real, and we stay in it because every instinct built into our species for survival tells us it’s the right thing to do. But it’s possible, with diligence, time and adherence, to get out and stay out! Remember, this is a lifetime process, not a lose-20-pounds-before-my-daughter's-wedding "diet."

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby wildgoose » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:44 pm

Noella wrote:-6 lbs. :nod: Yes! Back on track...
:nod: I am astonished about the effect of salt. This week I had almost zero salt!

Woohoo!! Noella! Great job. Congratulations.

Salt puts on water weight. Removing salt takes it back off. Restaurants add salt because it makes food taste good, and that’s what they’re in business to do. It made perfect sense that you gained after traveling and eating out a lot.

The good news is, it’s temporary, and it comes off fast when you’re back on track. Now you know!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Re: Weigh-In Report Compilation - September 11, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:00 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below.

Mark's Replies for September 11 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for September 11 - Part 2

By my count, 41 participants reported for our second September 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the second Friday in September:

Week ending 9/11/2020: 41 participants reported a total loss of -46.60 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Diane Marie +5.00
Squealcat +1.90
Lucas +1.60
LesleyMills +1.00
Total gains: +9.50
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Amberlina 0.00
Cathy Ann 0.00
Frowsyowl 0.00
Jkcook 0.00
Josietheschnauzer 0.00
Kirstykay -0.30
Connielovesdogs -0.40
Rlechols -0.50
Drew* -0.60
Pattyj115 -0.60
Chef16 -1.00
Growing a Pear -1.00
Laura_delao -1.00
Laurag -1.00
PonysPlants -1.00
Renestl -1.00
VivianS -1.00
Wfpb2020 -1.00
Kathie -1.20
Reni -1.20
Wstokes -1.20
NateKruse -1.60
CindyD -1.70
Expat in NZ -1.70
ChristinaElizabeth -1.80
Abe -2.00
Dot -2.00
GreenFroG -2.00
Lachoffman -2.00
Oneesotericgirl -2.00
Hope410 -2.20
Calharv -3.00
Golightly -3.00
Wavingwheat -3.20
LittlestTree -4.20
Creaky -4.30
OrangeBird -5.40
Total losses: -56.10
Cumulative group loss for September 2020 to date: 94.90 pounds
Average loss for week ending September 11: 1.14 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: 96.60 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2020: 60.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2020: 218.00 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2020: 191.50 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2020: 120.63 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2020: 524.80 pounds
Cumulative group loss for August 2020: 240.30 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, September 18, 2020.

My commendations to all participants on completing another week of marching nearer to our weight loss goals! Showing up and putting in the work is serving you all well!

I'm going to share some links and resources that seem appropriate or helpful within the context of this week's topics of discussion. As some of you continue to get a sense of the size, composition and frequency of meals that fit your situation and routine, it may be beneficial to review this thread where Jeff discusses meal frequency and eating between meals. The short answer to the "how often should I eat" question is
JeffN wrote:There is really little to any well done credible science that supports the difference between 3-5 meals, or 1-2, or consuming regular small snacks all day, or eating most meals early, or some later day, or some mid day, etc etc etc and any real health outcome over time.
JeffN wrote:[I]n the end, find the pattern that helps you in maintaining long-term adherence and compliance and stick to it.

Time and again, the value of keeping things simple, focusing on the basics, and, when possible, sticking to a routine that works has been underscored by participants here, and is a feature of many Success Stories. Along my own journey, I found Jeff's Simple, Easy & Starch Based thread to be very instructive in presenting the value of simplicity in a clear, concise, comprehensible manner. For me, it was also really handy in offering a tangible idea of what a particular day's meals could look like, in regard to both composition and volume. It felt very liberating to recognize that I could eat a lot of food, and still lose weight, provided I ate the RIGHT foods.

If that idea of simplicity seems appealing, it might also be advantageous to have a look at what Dr. Lisle has called Jeff's conveyor belt method of meal prep. This simple, effective concept could be one of the easiest ways to solve the problem of having an adequate, always available stock of adherent meals at the ready.

I hope you find something of value for the week ahead among those links. :D

May you have a week filled with discovery and success!
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:05 pm

Noella - YES! Definitely back on track! You did just barely miss the reporting deadline, but I'm delighted to read your accounting of the week and results! I never had any doubt that you could get back into the groove. :D
Noella wrote:I know what to do, it has been working for eight months, and I can do a little better each day going forward.
That seems worth quoting! Focus, determination and growing confidence for the win! :thumbsup:
Mark Cooper

Postby Beeshell » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Hi, I missed the deadline for reporting but will do so anyway.

Weight loss / gain: -.01
Points succeeded: overall, still mostly on point.
Points needing greater attention: My areas of attention remain the same.

Observations/- I find that after weighing in on Friday, I will allow myself a treat or two - sugar or chocolate. I know I will need to curtail this. As mentioned, still finding it hard to add in salad or greens daily.
Beeshell

Postby texaslil » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:10 pm

I know I'm late to post for this week, so sorry about that!

As I predicted, with my cycle, I have gained a .4 of a pound this week. It hasn't bummed me as much as in past weeks as I have been watching my ups and downs and do feel it's because of my cycle.

lbs lost/gained: +.4
lbs last week 178.8
lbs this week 179.2

Mostly it has been a good week, I slipped and had a smoothie...and some avocado, but mostly stuck to all other areas of the MWL program. I have been enjoying Fuji apples in the evening if I want a snack, they are the perfect balance of sweet and tart.

I have also been drinking some coffee in the morning.. I bought some coffee grind for company and have been 'using it up'. I find that I sip on just one cup of coffee throughout my morning and then will eat breakfast around 11. So, generally, I'm eating a late breakfast and then a snack and a full dinner.

5 out of 7 days of exercise, it's was raining one morning so I took the morning off and slept in!

I'm feeling good and enjoying this woe!

Thanks!
texaslil

Postby VivianS » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks, Goose, for your suggestion about cooking a lot of rice and freezing it in flat containers. I went to my nephew's home last night and we learned to use the Instapot ( Electric Pressure Cooker). He worked for a chef when he was young. He made all the decisions and did the work.During the few minutes the rice cooked, I enjoyed hearing his plans for walking with his son and admired his new walking shoes. I enjoyed the first servings of rice with him. I put the rest in my 45 year old Tupperware bowl to take home, to put in portions to put in the freezer later. He made another batch for me and decided that he could cook a pound at one time when I visit again. His dear daughter loves beans and rice. That may be on the schedule next time. I enjoyed being with him. The cooking and cleaning was so easy! I'm glad I didn't find the oil free rice first. Letting my nephew cook it for me is much better. He made me feel loved and respected. I didn't waste any time, money or frustration by attempting to cook it at home. Cooking is not my talent. I think I have seen those flat freezer containers and I will buy some of those for our next rice adventure. Thanks for flying in the lead, Goose. By taking the head wind, you took the pressure off this tired old flyer.
Sincerely,
VivianS
VivianS

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:41 am

Beeshell - Kudos! Being mostly on point overall seems like a very manageable position to build upon. From my perspective, the more we indulge in "treats" as a specific part of our weekly routine, the more we come to expect them; it seems useful to me to avoid habituating that particular pattern of behavior.

texaslil - It's great that you are able to keep this week's weigh-in result in the proper perspective! Apples are one of my favorite foods, I eat at least one every day. :D On those occasions when you "slipped," what precipitated that decision? Any changes in your routine, environment, or the degree to which you were prepared for the day?
Cheers to feeling good and enjoying this lifestyle!
Mark Cooper

Postby Creaky » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:31 am

VivianS wrote:Thanks, Goose, for your suggestion about cooking a lot of rice and freezing it in flat containers. I went to my nephew's home last night and we learned to use the Instapot ( Electric Pressure Cooker).

If you like potatoes, have your nephew cook you a couple in the Instant Pot. They are very good from the Instant pot, moist and tasty.
Creaky

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program