October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby emmycaitlin » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:19 pm

OK here is my starting information. Ready to go!

Starting weight: 213
Goal weight: 130
emmycaitlin

Postby connielovesdogs » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Hi all, was off the discussion board (but not off MWL) for a couple of weeks. I'm back and begin this month with a starting weight of 178. I've got various goals, but for this month it is to ramp up exercise by adding 3 days a week of some type of weight training.
connielovesdogs

Postby Cathy Ann » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:47 pm

-3 loss
Current Weight 226
July weight 245

Oct -3
Sept +4
August loss -8
July loss -12

10-point plan
1. Start each meal....No.
2. 50/50 Plate...& fruit for dessert. Yes
3. Reduce added sugar and salt. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods. Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant food. Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all high calorie-dense food including Flour. Yes
8. Don't drink your calories. Yes
9. Follow principles, Eat when hungry.... Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary. Pool exercise (One day)

Thank for this group, back on track and not yo-yoing back my weight loss. Happy that my food intake has been compliant this week, have not been preloading rule 1. Need to get back to this recommendation. This week has been difficult but as I reflect it has gone fast. My hip pain is holding me back on rule 10. Still feeling strong and committed, so looking forward to next week. Have a good week everyone and stay safe.
Cathy Ann

Postby KayVee » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:45 pm

Friday 10/2/20

First Weigh-In, actually getting on a scale, in over 2 years, yikes!!!!

57 yo female, 5'8'
Starting weight today: 193 lbs (worse than I thought) I thought I was just getting flabbier as I age but now I see it in actual pounds, I have definitely gained..... a lot.
Especially in the last 6 months, since COVID started and my anxiety/comfort eating increased. (I am a front-line health care worker)

Found this forum via the mention in the McDougall Newsletter email that I subscribe to.

Just joined yesterday so am still reading all the resources. Am already mostly vegan but I know what needs to be done based on what I have read so far, I can already tell I eat too many fats! Nuts, seeds, avocado, tahini, olive oil. This will be a much-needed change, my abdomen girth keeps growing more than anywhere else on my body! Also too many 'vegan' processed products.

My hope is to be held accountable by journaling and weighing-in each week here with this group, and you seem like a really nice group of like-minded people!
KayVee

Postby Kathie » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi all,

This week went much better although it's not reflected in the weight loss. Probably because I ate some avocado and had some coconut milk in my curry. Also had a bun with my Chicago Diner Burger (a McDougall recipe). And discovered how to cook plantains in the microwave - no oil, no salt, nothing.

Otherwise, it was a great week

Will probably correct some things like making veg soup vs curry this week. And stay away from the avocados and plaintains.
Kathie

Postby Tamia » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Hello All:

255, 48 yo female

I’m excited about starting this program. I have been overweight for a while and I’m ready to begin my journey! I think it will be good for me to have a place that I can talk about the issues I may face in trying to stick with the guidelines.

Thanks for having me,

Tamia
Tamia

Postby grammyjax » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:34 pm

I am 56 and my current weight is 224. I want to lose weight so I will be healthy and enjoy as much time with my grandson and any future grandchildren I might have.
I started eating mostly whole food, plant based around the end of May. I have been doing the Starch Solution for the past three weeks. I am down 31 pounds now. My first goal, is to be less than 200 pounds. I am not sure what my end goal will be, as I get closer, I will see how I feel and look.
grammyjax

Postby Lucas » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:25 pm

4/27/20: 203.2
5/1/20: 201.8
5/8/20: 200.0
5/15/20: 198.6
5/22/20: 197.8
5/29/20: 196.0
6/5/20 : 193.8
6/12/20: 192.8
6/19/20: 192.6
6/26/20: 191.8
7/3/20: 190.8
7/10/20: 188.8
7/17/20: 189.0
7/24/20: 187.4
7/31/20: 187.8
8/7/20: 186.6
8/14/20: 187.8
8/21/20: 184.6
8/28/20: 182.0
9/5/20: 180.8
9/11/20: 182.4
9/18/20: 181.8
9/25/20: 181.2
10/2/20: 179.2

Change: - 2.0

Hello everyone! October is here! :)

It was a good week for me. I am happy to record a loss of 2 pounds this week. Looks like I am finally into the 170s. Yeeha! I did really well all week. Got my daily brisk walk in after work. Eating till I'm full.

So the wife and I finally bought an Instant Pot. I have been making a really good vegetable soup loaded with vegetables, potatoes, and some whole wheat pasta. After two bowls of soup preceded with some fruit I am done. It has plenty of starches and also non-starchy vegetables in it as well, so it has it all. I am going to make this vegetable soup a regular for me for sure. I really like that I get full and very satisfied off of just the soup as the meal. No need for the 50/50 plate after this soup. Hope that is okay.
So, I am looking forward to October and I hope to strive for more losses. Good luck to everyone and have a great week!

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL) 
1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. Except some days I'm eating 2 bowls of vegetable soup for lunch and/or dinner. Enough to fill me up.
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  Yes
4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods. Yes.
8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Yes. Did good this week.
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes. Been enjoying brisk walking after work. Goal is to walk M-F during the week.
Lucas

Postby CarolMarie » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:26 pm

I have started thousands of eating plans in my life. Sometime, I start over again everyday! I have been struggling with my weight for 50 years. My most successful endeavor was using The Food for Life - Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live." However, I could not sustain it for very long. On the plus side, I haven't eaten meat for over 25 years but becoming a vegan has been terribly difficult. It is a constant struggle for me. I am a overweight vegetarian. I have read two of Dr. McDougall's books but I have always been confused of how much grains (starch) goes on the one side of the plate. I am hoping this group will help me get back on track and FINALLY help me be healthy. Please add me to the October 2020 group. Thanks for your help and support.
Carol
Palmer, Alaska

P.S. I guess I forgot my weight. I was 235 before I did Dr. Fuhrman's program. I have managed to keep some of it off.
On October 1st I was 206.6. Today I was 205.2 It was a good start.
-1.4 pounds
Success: I was full when eating what was recommended.
Issues: I have to remind myself to not eat what I WANT to eat. If there is a piece of cheese sitting there, I can't touch it!
Observations: This is my first message but I feel the support just reading other people's messages. Thank you for sharing.
CarolMarie

Postby kirstykay » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:22 am

Weight Change +2.3 lbs.

This week started out poorly, but has ended much better. I mentioned last week that I hadn't been able to exercise due to a foot injury and I think I tried to get back to it too quickly. As a result, I've needed to stay off it and have been basically sedentary. Also, I got off plan earlier in the week, food wise. The last few days have been outstanding and I am back on plan with an increased focus on the 10-points. Especially #1-3, which tend to be the hardest for me. For three days straight, I have been able to follow all 10 points exactly, and I am carrying that into October. I have veggie soup made and am working on eating that before lunch and dinner, with fruit before my breakfasts. I am also working on stopping when I am full, and making all my meals 50/50.

I'm disappointed in the gain this week, but I'm keeping my focus on what I can control, which is my behavior moving forward. Happy October, everyone! Welcome to all the newbies!!
Last edited by kirstykay on Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby tinathescreamer » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:27 am

CW 187.4 lbs
GW 160 lbs, ideal weight 150
did better today; no animal products, no added fats, went for a 30 min walk. otoh I ate a peanut butter sandwich and added sugar to my oatmeal. I also ate more than 2 pieces of fruit. it's hard to get back into the discipline after months of disordered eating, but I've been reading the thread on healthy BMI and am determined to get down to a healthy weight. I am 62 yo so those years of bad eating prob put me in the at risk category.
tinathescreamer

Postby Mrsmillyme » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:02 am

Hi
I have completed orientation and I would like to be added to the group please.
My CW is 166lbs
I dont have a goal weight but I want to get my bp back under control.
Yesterday the nurse took it and it was 175/101.
Needless to say, I am gutted :eek: :oops: :crybaby:
I am a bit of a Luddite /technophobe, so it takes me a longer than usual to work out where to post and how to post etc. But I am here and I need help to get back on track.
I am committed to being plant powered but obviously I am doing something wrong.
I'm ready, willing, and able to learn so - please - let's get this show on the road :-)
Mrsmillyme

Postby timbo97 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:44 am

This is my first post for my results RE: October weight-in group
Weekly Weight change +/- in lbs: 165lbs - my 1st weigh-in. I'll post changes in weight next week
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week: no animal foods, no added oils, 5 days (so far) of good exercise
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention, I added seeds/nuts to a couple of salads, I over-ate fruit a couple of days, had wine twice.
General impressions & observations: I can see that if one follows this lifestyle there seems to be no way they won't loose weight. I am observing the reasons/excuses I come up with that rationalize my deviating from the plan. I think it will help me to login to MWL Group every morning to renew my enthusiasm and see how others are doing. I am trying to loose some weight (10lbs) before it becomes more weight to loose. Anyway happy to be in this group.
timbo97

Postby dbrezee » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:19 am

Hi,

I have read through the orientation material and would like to be added to the October Weigh In group.

Thank you!
dbrezee

Postby Zoey » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:20 am

Wow, another jam-packed month of losers... hi everyone!

I skipped the September group because I felt I was just taking up space here, reporting "no change" week after week after week. Ugh, so depressing!
But looking back through my journals, I see I'm on a steady loss of six tenths of a pound per week. Mark gave me the great advice (what other type does he give?) of roughly... if I know for sure I'm adhering to the plan, then don't stress and let the body do what it's going to do.
So I'm not here to discourage anyone, but more to encourage the snails like me. Half a pound per week without suffering isn't such a bad deal, right?
I don't know exactly how many ounces :wink: I lost in September, so I'll just post today's weight of 147.8

Now, off to read everyone's posts!
Zoey

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program