in a rut, what's your favorite menu?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Chumly » Fri May 29, 2009 2:35 pm

"I wonder if Bob is talking about the Okinawan sweet potatoes."

I don't think so. At the local Asian Farmer's Market I go to, they have a Korean sweet potato along with purple potatoes (Okinawan sweet potatoes). The Korean sweet potaoes have a tan skin and pale yellow flesh. They are very sweet and tasty! I like them better than the purple ones, but the purple potatoes are my second choice. Next time I get them I'll try them on a salad, like Bob. It sounds delicious.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Karen in FL » Fri May 29, 2009 8:33 pm

Oh shoot! I was mis-spelling her name! *smacks forehead!* Thanks MaryW!

Karen :oops:
Karen in FL

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:23 am

Oh my so there is different kinds of asian sweet potatoes. I'm going to have to make a journey to the big Asian market.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Not the Okinawa sweet potatoes

Postby SactoBob » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:19 am

I have had the Okinawa potatoes too. They have a purple flesh and are ok taste not very sweet and not very tasty to me. I would eat them, but I can't say that I care for them.

The ones I am talking about have a brownish purple skin and a golden/yellow type of flesh and are delicious.

What I find with these is that I can really down the greens and raw veggies in very large quantities. I get mine at the local oriental food store. The major chains do not carry them.

I like the Japanese version much better than the ordinary yams, but those are good too, and would probably work in the same way.
SactoBob

Potatoes

Postby carolmayo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:20 pm

We are really new at this, but out favorite potato dish is 'potato salad'. I baked a couple of large potatoes in foil, skins and all. Then cut in cubes while they are still warm. Add a little pepper and a couple of tablespoons of dill relish and dijon mustard. I try to keep this in the refrigeration.
Texas Carol
carolmayo

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:28 am

I buy a big bag of Vidalia onions, any onions will work but I love the sweet ones, peel and cut in halves or quarters or leave whole. Put in a big baking dish and bake covered at 350 until they are soft and carmelized.

These are good over potatoes, over rice with a little Bragg's, and used in recipes. I put some in casserole things like my enchilada casserole. Also cold in salads, the uses are endless.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:34 am

Darn Mrs. Doodlepunk why didn't I think of that. I mentioned my vidalia's and taters and the only reason they are good is the carmelized onions. Darn if they were all done you could throw them on anything.

I'm guessing they last like five days in the fridge? I'm the kind of gal that tries and makes most of her week's food on Sunday.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 am

They definitely last 5 days! I love it because they can be used so many ways, but my fave is with brown rice and a little Bragg's. I learned this one from Dr. Esselstyn's book.

Another good thing is roasted corn. You spread out a bag of frozen corn and broil it until it starts to look toasted or even a little more if you like it that way. It's delicious in a bean salad or any other recipe where you would ordinarily put in a little frozen corn.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Re: Potatoes

Postby sigma957 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:41 am

carolmayo wrote:We are really new at this, but out favorite potato dish is 'potato salad'. I baked a couple of large potatoes in foil, skins and all. Then cut in cubes while they are still warm. Add a little pepper and a couple of tablespoons of dill relish and dijon mustard. I try to keep this in the refrigeration.

That sounds really good. I just bought a ten pound bag of potatoes, and so I'm going to try that this week.

Barbara
You must believe that you are worth the trouble.
When you stumble, make it part of the dance!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

sigma957

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:38 am

I've been buying roasted corn at Trader Joes, it's great in chili.
Faith
Faith in DC

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program