Today is the big day~

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Day 2

Postby KareninTN » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:27 am

This morning I already got a half pound loss for my efforts; that's a nice start. :)

For today: breakfast as usual
lunch: same as yesterday
snack: watermelon and possibly popcorn
supper:bean dip and salsa, eaten with a measured number of no oil, no salt corn chips. I guess technically these would not be on MWL, as they are a processed grain, but I do ok with them if I do not eat unlimited amounts. Asst. munchable raw veggies.

karenturtle

ps: How's everyone else doing?
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:24 am

way to go Karen. well, I caved and got a burrito last night. BUT where I get my burrito isn't fatty and greasy. it does have a small amount of white rice and they have grilled tofu. I only eat half of the burrito (save half for the next day). I usually supplement with a side of their rice. Yesterday I said, nope you are going to make your own. So I packed one of the their sauces up and their salsa verde. I mixed the sauce with my rice, un wrapped the half a burrito mixed together and topped with verde. boy was it good, and I got my craving under control with little damage. btw-I had not starch the first part of the day and my burrito did have lettuce and tomato.

what I discovered this morning, WOW I must have really been clogged up :shock: all that extra fiber had me running. I feel so good. I knew I had gotten weak on my whole grains.

todays
b-watermelon and red seedless grapes
l-smallish salad and tomato soup and kale. I also brought brown rice, and succotash and some soy sauce. LOL too full to eat it. So just stuck it away. If I need a couple bites for a snack so be it.
d-my other half of a burrito and rice.

exercise today is some heavy duty house cleaning, lots of ups and downs.

got to admit I'm glad to get day one over and glad that my body reacted like it did. It was a good wakeup call. this will probably help me in the future too.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Cindee » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:18 pm

Just a question all....

Hi and hope your days are fun and rewarding for ya! :-D

Question: Are we getting sufficient calcium intake on this MWL. I'm cramping in my legs and feet already. Maybe haven't been getting enough beforehand?

Help please...anyone...:)

Thanks,
Cindee
"I advocate eating in the healthiest manner possible. Your body will naturally move to a healthier weight, at the speed it chooses, not some predetermined rate set by someone’s opinion." Dr. Joel Fuhrman, MD
Cindee

MWL

Postby jamila04 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:36 pm

I'm so excited to read all the support that has been given for the MWL. I started the program January 2, 07 on the MWL and loss weight, but when to the 12 day in May and added vegan cakes and bread to the mix and have been flucating between a 34 and 40 lb loss. I need to lose and not gain and I know that the MWL is where I need to be and I will return, but had not said when other than next week. So after reading from you all I now know what I must do and I will do it again starting on the August 6th and I will stay tuned to this thread for encouragement and support from you all.

Also, I just said to someone a few days ago that there will always be celebrations, but one must take a stance for health or celebrations and which is more important? I chose health and the MWL to get where I need to be healthy!

Again, thank you all for and may God bless our efforts!
jamila04
jamila04

day 3

Postby KareninTN » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:38 am

So far, so good. Not munching my way through the evenings is the hardest part. :?

breakfast today: the usual
lunch: same as Mon and Tues
snacks today: watermelon and popcorn
supper: spinach and rice with no-salt, low-fat peanut sauce, asst. munchable raw veggies

I'm down another .9 this morning. Amazing how well this works when I simply refrain from putting something in my mouth every five minutes! :lol: I have special events happening every weekend this month. I'm going to consider doing MWL every M-F and only loosen up on the weekends...just not TOO loose, right? :eek:

karenturtle
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Postby Cindee » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:21 pm

You are all doing so great. I'm inspired. :-)

I've been under the weather and not feeling very well. I
ve been in bed for two days and haven't eaten much at all.

I'm doing better today and going to get a fresh start. I
ve only eaten maybe 3 meals in the last few days. One of those was MWL, but I had a few fried corn tortillas to spread the refried beans topped with tomatoes and lettuce. Hubby brought home a cliff bar and some gatorade for me because I was so week. He was being thoughtful.

So, I am back on track today. Sorry to have not been here reporting. Just haven't felt well.

I'll post my meals later today. Haven't eaten yet. Trying to feel a little better so I can.

"I advocate eating in the healthiest manner possible. Your body will naturally move to a healthier weight, at the speed it chooses, not some predetermined rate set by someone’s opinion." Dr. Joel Fuhrman, MD
Cindee

Postby Zena » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:25 pm

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Cindee. I've been away from reading posts lately and just catching up. I saw your question about getting enough calcium on MWL and wanted to respond. Yes, there's enough calcium in both the regular and MWL plans, but if this is something you're concerned about, just add more dark leafy greens to your meals. Kale, spinach and all the other greens have tons of calcium in them.

To make it easy, I try to buy the prewashed, precut bags of greens. It's simple to throw in extra handfuls into salads, soups or smoothies.

Another note about getting sick...I think you'll find as you continue on the program, you'll be less prone to catching a cold or a flu. I used to get sick all the time...everytime someone at my office coughed or sneezed, I could count on catching the latest cold du jour. But, since starting this program back in June 2003, I haven't been sick once in 4 years. Amazing :-)

Keep up the great work everyone!
Zena
Zena

Some calcium-containing whole foods...

Postby Clary » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:33 pm

Cindee wrote:Just a question all....

Question: Are we getting sufficient calcium intake on this MWL.
Help please...anyone...:)

Thanks,
Cindee

A sampling of some of many calcium-containing foods, in no particular order:

broccoli, Swiss chard, collards, turnip greens, dandlion greens, chick peas (garbanza), rhubarb, lambsquarter greens, kale, mustard greens, parsley, kelp, brown rice, bulgur, farina, English walnuts, almonds, elderberries, dates and figs, red grapefruit, grapes, oranges, artichoke, lima beans, yellow beans, asparagus, parsnips, rutabaga, summer squash, tangerines, watermelon, prunes, pears, papaya, Brazil nuts, pumpkin and squash kernels, sesame and sunflower seeds, red kidney beans, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, beet greens, and many many more!

I am not on MWL, and haven't been, so this is NOT posted as a MWL-specific list, just many calcium-containing whole foods that came to mind. Following Dr. McDougall's guidelines, we can get plenty of calcium without having to borrow from the cow and its products. :nod:
Clary

Postby Cindee » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:52 pm

Thank You.

No matter what...I wouldn't take calcium from a cow. I was just trying to make sure I had the plant kingdom covered when it came to calcium intake. We eat 2 lbs of broccoli a day and 2 lbs. of romaine a day along with our bean dishes. So, I was making sure.

Thanks for the ideas and all the encouragement. Sending it back again to everyone.

I feel like I am more on a raw food diet than MWL. 8)

Looking forward to the end of this phase....so I can go lifetime.

Cindee
Cindee

Day 4

Postby KareninTN » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Coming down the home stretch towards birthday weekend...

breakfast:same as it ever was
lunch: the usual - salad, potato, broccoli
snacks: watermelon and popcorn
supper: repeat of Tues - bean dip, salsa, corn chips, raw veggies

I miss the stuff that I usually get in trouble with...but I'm enjoying not being in trouble! :D I don't know that I could stay this disciplined all the time, though.

karenturtle
KareninTN

Postby Cindee » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:42 pm

Proud of you for your sticktuitiveness. :)

I've had a rough go this past week. Hubby is now home from work, and is ill.

I wanted everyone healthy to get this going.

Looks like I got us all geared up and I am the one failing you all.

Today looks brighter for me, except for the fact that hubby is asleep and trying to get himself well.

I was hoping that if we were going to be under the weather, it would wait until the normal time...fall to winter???

Oh well, I'm going to do my best today.

Have a great Thursday everyone
Cindee
Cindee

Postby Cindee » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:36 pm

I haven't really established an eating pattern for my daily food choices. But, here is what I have eaten as I have become hungry.

Romaine Salad with apple and whole dates (don't remember if that is allowed as a fruit? hope so...should have looked it up ):shock:

Romaine Salad with cucumbers and black beans

Cup of steamed broccoli

Overnight Oatmeal with 1 tsp. of brown sugar, 1 tsp. of nutmet and a sprinkle of salt.

That's it so far. Haven't decided if I will have a snack of any kind.

Have had a ton of water though.

Cindee :)
Cindee

Postby Cindee » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:37 pm

That "Nutmet" should have read, "Cinnamon." Had nutmeg on the brain, and I couldn't decide which spice to toss in the batch.
Cindee

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:07 pm

Sorry to hear you (then hubby) was sick Cindee. I didn't bail. REally I've been doing very well, and I'm sure I"ll be seeing some results on sunday. Only frustrating part is the amount of time my behind is in the restroom :oops: good lord I've never 'went' that much before. I must really have needed cleaning out :shock:

OK you asked about dates. No dried fruit is allowed. That isn't classified as fruit. Now I'm sure you can get fresh dates. Like around here we can get fresh figs.

I never did get the taters I cooked for this. I've been relying on rice and how quick and easy that is. I have it cooked so it's nuke and dump.

I feel good on how I did, and I feel lighter, and better than I did a week ago. I don't feel like I'm dieting. So this is all a good thing. I'm also not stressing too bad over foods. Though this week will be a challenge. Weekends are always. But my plan is t keep it to a minimum. This is my health I'm concerned about.

So anybody know how to buy stock in White Cloud?
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Cindee » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi there!

Well, I think I wrote whole dates, and yes they are fresh. I can't eat too many of them...too sweet. I put 6 on a salad to add moisture because I don't add any dressing of course. So, the moisture is going to have to come form the other fruits on the salad or the dates. It's the big container at Costco and they are fresh. I have to keep them refrigerated.

I made overnight oatmeal yesterday. I'm going to go and give it a try.

Day 2 after the under the weather blahs. :)

Hope you have a great weekend.

Oh, and my hubby told me that same..."watch out, you'll be spending a lot of time on the lu." Sure enough...but that's what I want right? To cleanse and get back on a healthier eating program, not to mention...to clean out that 27 foot intestine. Sorry. gross. But, true.

Cindee
Cindee

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program