Has anyone tried the veg-first option?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby prairiedream » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 pm

southerngirl,

I was already at my ideal weight when I started this program (had been vegetarian for a couple of years already and exercised daily to lose 25+ lbs), but it's definitely a lifesaver for me in *keeping* it off :-)
prairiedream

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:33 pm

SoGirl
I've been veggie and Mcdougalled for over 12 yrs. I think when you are struggling the worst thing to do is investigate other programs. It throws a person off too much and you need to concentrate on just staying vegan and eating healthy. JMHO

I think concentrating on one outlook on diet also helps to anchor your 'Why' on why are doing this.

So good meal you listed. Keep it up.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby PamM » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Oh, Faith, you is talkin' to me. :) Seriously, it's a very very good point, and also, as Burgess says, McD is *so* flexible that you can tweak it this way and that as you go along and learn more, and your tastes change. But *anchoring* somewhere is critical for making progress. Otherwise, you can waste a whoooole lot of time vacillating back and forth. I would hate to tell you how much time I've spent doing that.

I would definitely suggest learning basic McDougall thoroughly, incorporating it into your life in the ways that are easiest and most comfortable for you to begin with, and later on you can experiment with variations if you like. But you need solid ground under your feet and a base of confidence in the basics first.

Gee, I just wrote a whole post to myself. :) :)

Pam
PamM

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:04 pm

nothing the matter with talking to yourself Pam :lol:

believe me Furhman's Eat to Live really got me thinking about veggies. So when I plan my week, I do plan what veggies I'll be eating and I think colors and colorful. It use to be I took McDougall's Starch based a little too seriously. I used veggies almost as condiments to help flavor the starch. Now they are about balanced by volume.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby PamM » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:18 pm

Thanks, Faith. I think I'm coming around to that viewpoint/pattern myself -- there's no question that I get something from the starches emotionally and physically, and trying to leave them out altogether pushes me right off the rails -- but being aware of and including lots and lots o'veggies, both raw and cooked, is a very good thing!
PamM

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program