Eat to loose weight?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby chrysynthia2 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:38 am

I read the Robbins book as well and found it to be great. I would have to say the book that "sealed the deal" of my vegetarianism would have to be the book Fast Food Nation. It is awesome, not only does it go in depth for the meat industry's treatment of animals, it also tells about the treatment of employees in the meat factories. Very very eye opening to see that the people working at these factories aren't treated much better than the animals they slaughter every day.
chrysynthia2

Postby mtraezme » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:51 am

There's also a book called Spoiled and the author's name is Nichols Fox. It talks about the same types of things as far as the lack of safety in our meat supply, but goes about it from a different angle. She explains all the food borne pathogens and things, but does it using stories about people and what happened to them. It's really quite interesting, and, like Fast Food Nation, a little scary.
mtraezme

Postby Zena » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:41 am

I have always liked Susan Powter for her honesty and energy. I'd actually heard of her long before I'd heard of Dr. McDougall. Even though I'd bought her book and tapes, and her philosophy seems to be right in line with the McDougall Program, I'm sorry to say that I didn't change my ways back then. It took me many more years and Dr. McDougall to finally get the life-saving info into my head.

She was the keynote speaker at the Healthy Lifestyle Expo a few years back (I think someone's already posted the link in this thread).

She was a bundle of energy and I really got a kick out of seeing her in person. She credited her success to Dr. McDougall, which I found fascinating as I didn't remember her mentioning him in her book (or maybe she did, but I hadn't known his name at the time). During the panel discussion at the end of the weekend, she gushed so much over Dr. McDougall that he actually blushed :D It was sooo cute!
Zena

Postby Janet in Dallas » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:34 pm

I, too, learned of Dr. McDougall from Susan Powter. IknowIknow...I can almost SEE him roll his eyes all the way here in Dallas!! But, hey...ANYway is the right way to hear the truth.

Susan Powter:

Yes, she was radical.
Yes, she was crazy.
Yes, she was sooooo over the top. :eek:

But I'm telling you....she's one of the BEST motivators I've ever come across. I was fortunate to take many of her classes she taught (she had an exercise studio in Dallas for several years). To this date, I still pull out those Stop the Insanity tapes & listen to give me a kick-in-the-pants.

She sparked my passion for exercise -step classes/weightlifting- and to which I thank her to this day....also made me aware of the importance of eating organic/vegan. But yes, she made mention of McDougall/Ornish/Barnard in all her books/tapes...even in her classes.

I check on her website from time to time over the years...she's gone waaaaay to the left, but I really do think she's evening out more...making herself more marketable. Plus, she's on the E channel from time to time.
Janet in Dallas

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program