New-a little discouraged

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby karin_kiwi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:45 pm

susie wrote:I was wondering about the white rice Karin kiwi. One billion Chinese eat white rice and the majority don't have weight problems. In fact the numbers would be larger when you take all the other Chinese/Asian nations who base their diet on white rice.

I wonder if they suffer from arthritis?

Dunno about the arthritis, but then I'm not aware of any kind of rice/arthritis link (thought it was more animal protein). I *know* that brown rice is more nutritious than white and I do like brown for some things. However, I have the same question in my mind and remember that in one book McDougall, although recommending brown rice, called white rice a "mild insult." I would place white rice above white pasta - it is less processed. Possibly that's just a rationalisation because I really love white rice with Asian meals. Anyway, I'm not worrying about white rice yet. Maybe when I've sorted everything else out - like all the d*mn oils and vegan junk food I keep eating!!!! ;-)
karin_kiwi

Postby veggieguy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Evengelle,

Hang in there. You are on the right track as stated by others above. This is for the rest of our lives type event. So 1-2 will become the norm with the initial drop of calories in the beginning. Of course all our metabolisms are very different, so try to figure out what might boost yours. Mine is sloooowwwwww. In seven years as a junk food vegetarian I lost about 30+ pounds, now that is way too slow, but I did keep it off. Since going vegan and just plain healthier eating I have lost about 12 additional pounds, but about 7 inches off my waist. Getting an hourglass figure. My old goal was to be completely round, my doctor said that was a dumb goal, oh well.

Small steps with exercise wherever you can sneak it in, e.g. parking as far away in shopping malls, stairs if able, one extra lap around the store even if nothing is needed. I started using a pedometer and it really seems to help to keep me mindful of how many steps I take in a day or don't. Start small and build. Each day will get easier even during the lulls, especially because you can come to this wonderful site for encouragement . It has definitely helped me to not be as discouraged as in the past.

Also sneak those veggies in wherever you can. A lot of sneaking going on, but it works. Add extra stuff to your rice dishes, chop them so fine and mix them in soup, over your potatoes or in sandwiches. Mix up those rainbow of colors and the energy will be the pot-of-gold.

Sorry to ramble, but even when the scale seems to betray you, as long as you are feeling better, stronger and lighter in spirit you are still on course.

Keep the faith and take care.
veggieguy

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program