The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2022 Group

Postby DBLAIS » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:18 pm

Hello,
I have read the materials and look forward to beginning the journey to eating healthy.
Thank you for this resource.
Blais
DBLAIS

Postby josietheschnauzer » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:04 pm

Dear Mark, Wild Goose, and Jeff-- I am happy to be back for 2022! I didn't fall off the wagon last year, I just stopped posting. I realize how much I was I was encouraged by this forum and how supportive you all are to everyone. Yes, yes, I am still in the game, McDougaller MWL with my occasional lapses into french fry and oreo land, BUT, my doctor encouraged me to think of oreos with a face and french fries with legs........crazy as it seems, I was able to resist these stress related temptations in November and December ......

Thank you for the forum! Elsa. PS, Josie the real Schnauzer is almost 14!
josietheschnauzer

Postby jane ellen » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:25 pm

Hello all,

I would like to join the group. I’m a first timer. I need to lose a few pounds, and would like to, but I really want to change some behaviors, like eating too much at night, AFTER DINNER. I hope this post shows up where it’s supposed to.

jane Ellen
jane ellen

Postby Debben » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:32 pm

I have read the orientation material and would like to join the January 2022 group. I have attempted to eat WFPB for the last few years but struggle to eat that way consistently.

Thanks!
Debben

Postby Bunnysmomkim » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:42 pm

Did orientation sign me up for January..I'm new to this technology
Bunnysmomkim

Postby Noella » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:34 am

Hi Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff and January 2022 Particpants,
Happy New Year! I just read through the revised goals and orientation materials for this group and I am excited to continue belonging and connecting with others here in The Behavioural Path to MWL Success for January 2022 group forum. I have been following the MWL guidelines since April 1, 2020 and I have experienced many improvements in my health that are directly related to adhering to the MWL guidelines. MWL is helping me become the healthy, energetic, happy person I want to be! So, I want to continue to follow the MWL lifestyle and I so appreciate the support of this community to learn and develop health promoting lifestyle habits. I look forward to putting greater emphasis on learning and adhering to the MWL healthy behaviours, habits and plans to succeed over time. None of us are perfect; we are all doing the best that we can and this forum allows us to ask questions and become strengthened as our beliefs and knowledge/mastery of exactly how to improve our health grows.
It's not for no reason that I became obese and I am so thankful to have found the solution - these guidelines and the support of everyone here. Thank you Mark, Wildgoose and Jeff; I read and reread your recommendations and encouragement.

Best regards,
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2022 Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:40 am

I want to offer a warm welcome to this group to gethealthynow, Saroya, spudlover, DBLAIS, jane ellen, Debben, & Bunnysmomkim; adopting a pattern of behavior that supports your goals is what this group is all about, so you are in the right place. I'm excited to have all of you with us!

josietheschnauzer - It is great to see you posting again, Elsa! :D Fantastic that you have been able to mostly stick with the program through 2021 within your own routine. Give my best wishes for a very happy 14th ( :shock: ) birthday to Josie the real Schnauzer. :-D

Noella - I'm delighted you'll be continuing to participate in the group. You positive enthusiasm adds to the group, and you are a fantastic example of how adhering to the recommended pattern of behavior can deliver real gains in quality of life. :nod:

Hopeeatsplants - Hi! :) Jeff answered your questions here, in his welcome to the group. If you haven't already done so, be sure to review the Orientation materials, which should help with understanding the program and resolve further confusion. Cheers for an auspicious start to the new year!
Mark Cooper

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:41 am

Test drive of New Assessment!!! :)

Hi All,

Happy New Year!!! It is so exciting to see both new and familiar faces and all of the positive energy! Woo-hoo!! :)

Love how with the new format we will be able to learn and to share how we are each incorporating the 10 MWL guidelines!!! I think that this will be so helpful to all of us as we continue on with Time & Adherence.

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
:) I did preload 18/21 meals.
* I have been eating "finger food" salad where I just pile some combination of greens, tomatoes, carrots, persian cucumber, broccoli, bell pepper on a plate (liking this right now more than the bowl of salad).
* Also, I have been preparing pans of roasted vegetables and eating them cold for a "salad".
*I do want to get to 100% here.
*I am on a mission to identify a preload soup for cold weather that I love which will help me to get to 100%. The times that I miss is usually around time it takes to eat (I am a slow eater) - so I get lazy and skip.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.
:D 21/21.
* I keep stocked compliant options - fruit, veggies, various starches (fresh, frozen, shelf-stable) that I love to eat.
* I batch prepare brown rice, roasted potatoes, Jeff burgers for easy to grab meals.
* I cut various fresh veggies / fruit and store in refrigerator to make these easy to incorporate.
* I made a few pots of soup / chili this week - Creamy beany (from this web-site), Mexi soup (from this web-site), Red lentil chili. I generally use crock pot :-) which makes it super easy and hard to ruin (for me, not the best of cooks).

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
:D Yes.
* I hardly ever use sugar or condiments with added sugar.
* I don't have sugar cravings that cause issues with the other MWL points.
* I do use salt (sparingly).
* I am considering a test run of eliminating salt because I am struggling with certain foods that are salty, dry, and calorie dense (see #5/7).

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
YES, of course. :D
* This is likely the only MWL point that I haven't had any questions on and not one that I struggle with.
* I am the opposite of tempted by these.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
:twisted: Not 100% successful this week for #5 and #7.
* I need to STOP snacking on husband's nuts and pretzels.
* I think that if I can get a good clean clip of time in, that I can overcome this (like I have done with peanut butter).
* I have tried various strategies and am still struggling. Below is my current plan. 5) is adapted from Mark's recent feedback.
1) Listen to Doug Lisle's Willpower lecture. Revisit some of the MWL threads on how others have overcome this same hurdle.
2) If non-compliant foods call, continue to eat the recommended foods (in the recommended fashion). THEN do something else after eating compliant foods (i.e., journal, exercise, read)!!!
3) Evaluate results and adjust approach, if this isn't working.
4) Consider further reducing sodium (could this be unleashing this craving?) - Something I will consider for 2022.
5) If troublesome foods can't be removed from immediate environment, it often helps to place some barriers in the path of accessing such foods. I have these in a separate cabinet - thinking of other places they could be stored which would increase difficulty to access.
6) If above doesn't work, seek coaching assistance.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
:D Yes!
* I do not cook with oil or eat products that include it.
* I only may have this if eating out (which I hardly ever do and did not do this week).

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
:twisted: Not 100% successful this week for #5 and #7.
See #5 above. Comment are same.

8 Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
:) Yes.
* I don't make smoothies.
* I do drink coffee (sometimes tea) and have always consumed both black.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
* I am mindful of this guideline.
* For this week, I changed my standard breakfast from potato waffle to oatmeal and have had to adjust with a bit of a smaller preload or have leftover oatmeal. Super easy to adjust.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
*I love to walk outside -- definitely good for energy level and mood!!!
* The more I comply with #10, the more that I want to exercise... :lol:
* I have appropriate winter gear for walking outside in most weather.
* I have indoor exercise options defined for when outside won't be feasible - likely coming this week with a winter storm watch tomorrow.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Much gratitude to Jeff, Mark, Wildgoose and all fellow participants.

I hope that everyone has an incredible week!!! We can all make positive incremental changes - keep going!!! :-D

Cheers to a Happy New Year!!

Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby DebinFl » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:42 am

Count me in. I am an all or nothing type so I am hoping to not only change my perception of what 'tastes good' but to teach myself that dietary perfection is NOT the goal. MWL I hope will be the result.
DebinFl

Postby littlelight » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:42 am

I have read the updated expectations for the group and revised Orientation materials. Count me in. Thanks!
littlelight

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:00 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES This was an area I was able to keep up with. Thankfully I feel like this is just part of meals for me now.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES This was another of my few areas for success this week.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO A combination of bad planning, not controlling my environment and being stuck inside around all the holiday junk made my willpower feel non-existent this week. All the vegan junk seemed to be more than I could stay away from.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES I am committed to this one so it’s easier for me.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO Same issue as three.
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO Same issue.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO Same issue, even when I would make it most of the day by the end the junk won.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO I am committed to clawing my way out of the pleasure trap I fell so far into this week.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO While I didn’t stuff myself I know I ate junk when I wasn’t hungry.One thing I can say is I also did not feel nearly as good as I do when I follow the behaviors.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES I kept my streak alive and being home did extra here. Along with one and two this has become a habit and it is because of this forum calling for daily activity that I have such a long streak.

I am happy to still have this group and I’m ready to recommit to the behaviors starting today.
Rebecka22

Postby squealcat » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:01 am

I am joining for 2022 and look forward to a great year with all of you ! I read and re-read all the material and welcome the changes as well as those that didn't change. I look forward to enjoying the daily walk through the MWL journey and seeing just where it will get me.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:06 am

I have read the orientation materials plus Jeff's post. I am excited about the changes and would like to join the group for the new year! Happy New Year!
GreenFroG

Postby jane ellen » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:10 am

Happy new year to all….I have read all the orientation materials and the famous 10-point list and commit to all the guidelines. I have one question regarding supplements though. I know that the program avoids all supplements except Vitamin B12. Does that apply during Covid as well? Many medical types recommend Vitamin D, extra Vitamin C, zinc and other supplements to “strengthen the immune system” during the pandemic. Should we ignore all that and just stick with Vitamin B12?

Much thanks.

Jane Ellen
jane ellen

Postby wildgoose » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:17 pm

Jane Ellen, eating after dinner is a very common issue. The trouble is, at that time we usually eat richer, more calorie dense foods, often when we're already full. We don’t want to cram in another bowl of broccoli or a final handful of carrot sticks — but if there’s some tasty "treat" around, somehow we find room for it.

Suggestions that have helped me:
  • Don’t have rich foods in the house, or if you must (if spouse or kids insist), keep them hidden, locked away, or anything you can do to put obstacles between you and temptation.
  • After dinner, clean up the kitchen and walk away. The kitchen is now closed for the night.
  • Make sure you’re not restricting your food, particularly starch, during the day. That’s a sure way to get you munching at night, when your supply of willpower is depleted.
I also recommend a webinar that Dr. Doug Lisle did several years ago on The Conditioned Cram, which might be helpful.

Regarding your question on supplements, Dr. McDougall's advice remains the same as it has always been:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl ... nerals.htm

https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/nu ... pplements/

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program