Traveling

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby hayleyscomet » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Just the nectar ones--regular Clif bars have "bad" stuff in them like extracted soy protein, etc, that are not whole foods (and their fat content is higher). Another bar that is allowed as a treat is Larabars, which are nothing but fruit and nuts.
hayleyscomet

Postby petalpusher » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:33 pm

Sorry, meant to say 'only the nectar bars'.
petalpusher

travelfoods

Postby Riva » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:31 am

I travel withRice Cakes,apples,nuts and dried fruits. Lately I eliminated the nuts because I found I was using travel as an excuse to eat toomany!!
Riva
Riva

Postby slugmom » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:46 am

Here's the list of approved packaged foods ~ keep in mind that there may be products out there that aren't on the list, and things that were on the list may change their ingredients, so always read labels, too.

http://drmcdougall.com/packaged.html

Richer Foods - High Simple Sugar Foods

* Breakfast Bars & Cookies

and

Richer Foods - Higher Fat Foods
These products are listed here because they are higher in fat than the other products on this list, either because of nuts and seeds, and/or small amounts of added oils. These products should be used sparingly, if at all, and with the understanding that they are rich foods.

* Breakfast Bars & Cookies

You'll find the Clif and Larabars in the last category (Richer - Higher Fat) but there are also some things listed in the Regular and the Richer sections ...

HTH

**edited to add - I'm sorry! I forgot this was in the MWL forum. That list is for the 12-day -- which might make some good traveling treats, but most wouldn't likely be MWL compliant**
- Kim

slugmom

Postby rogermoore » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:34 pm

I always have a baggie of garbanzo beans in my backpack to snack on. In airports I look for Mexican. I get a vegie burito (no cheese/sour cream) - If you are LAX - you are in trouble - it is the most unhealthiest airport for food - so i plan accordingly.
Roger Moore, PhD
http://www.hypnosishealthinfo.com
http://www.slenderforlife.com
rogermoore

Postby kpolninja » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:22 pm

If you can go to starbucks they have the perfect oatmeal which is great, you can get topping with them but you don't have to. Not super cheap, but at least you know it is healthy.

Has anybody had luck getting hot water from the flight attendants?
kpolninja

Postby fulenn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:45 am

Downtown Dallas was not much fun. The Sheraton had buffet meals for each meal and I was able to choose McD items each time. Baked red potatoes, fresh fruit, plain bagel, refried beans. But I know that there was oil in these things because of the taste. Still, it was better than most of what was available. I attended a 3 day conference and there was not a single vegan entree offered by the conf. organizers the entire time. I took a couple of McD soups with me and, coupled with the fresh fruit, they made two nice lunches.

One oriental restaurant was happy to make up stir-fried veggies and steamed rice for me, though it was not on the menu. This was a lunch-place that had a set menu laid out in front of the servers. Anyway, they made the veggies oil-free and it was wonderful. Wish they had been open for breakfasts or dinners.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Re: travelfoods

Postby Letha » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:07 pm

Riva wrote:I travel withRice Cakes,apples,nuts and dried fruits. Lately I eliminated the nuts because I found I was using travel as an excuse to eat toomany!!
Riva

+1 for the Rice Cakes.
Image Image
Letha

Postby sigma957 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:51 pm

hayleyscomet wrote:I'm also flying next week. I have to figure out something for dinner--I used to grab something during layovers, but no way am I doing that now. (Unless there's a Wendy's in the airport, which I certainly can't count on. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a Wendy's in an airport.)

Just FYI, Portland Oregon's airport does have a Wendys!

Barbara
sigma957

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program