Vegie challenge

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby proverbs31woman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:06 pm

Seestorcoo,

I'm glad that you started this. I will start this on Friday after I stock up on my veggies.
proverbs31woman

Postby LauraA » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:11 pm

Letha wrote:
Question, would you consider Danish squash non-starchy? That’s on the menu for tomorrow. How about green peas?
Letha

Letha, for a second there I thought that you said Danish - like some sort of pastry!! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:12 pm

I'll start tomorrow - great idea. I eat mostly soups and veggie sauces, so I'm pretty sure I'll do fine. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby somnolent » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:27 pm

So should we post the vegetables we ate every day? Today I ate:

- leftover Thai food from once-a-month restaurant outing: 1/2 serving (mushrooms, onions, and green bell peppers)
- large salad from Whole Foods salad bar: 6 servings! (3 cups of lettuce and 1.5 cups of carrots, beets, red bell peppers, and cucumbers)

seestorcoo, I chose "somnolent" because I always feel like taking a nap in the afternoon (and sometimes in the morning). So now that you've brought it up, what does seestorcoo mean? :)
somnolent

Postby Letha » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:55 am

Good morning all,

OK, I’m having an entire yellow squash (2 cups diced) in my oatmeal so I’m counting that as 4 servings.

I’m going to have 1 cup of steamed kale for lunch = 2 servings.

Now my lunchtime Spanish rice recipe has 2 onions, 2 bell peppers, 4 carrots, 4 celery stalks, 4 cups of green beans, and 2 cans of diced tomatoes for 8 servings. So I figure I can safely count that as 4 more servings of veggies.

That puts me at 10 servings of veggies for the day. Just having starches for dinner. (Hominy, potatoes, winter squash)

I'll check back tomorrow.
Letha
Letha

Okay

Postby seestorcoo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:28 am

yesterday, my vegies consisted of 3 big bowls of vegies soup - minus the minimal potato/sweet potato in it, maybe 4 cups of cooked vegies.

Today, I will try to continue the vegie eating.

As for seestorcoo - when I was young, my sisters and my mother were all "oos" - Too, Coo, Loo, and Moo. Only moms and mine really stuck (moms grandkids called her Mamoo).....so, I'm "seestor (sister) coo"

Its one of those family things that doesn't make any sense.
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:49 am

Not joining but thought I'd help a bit. In WW world, carrots, eaten as raw are a zero point veggie (like greens, green beans, tomatoes, etc.) but once cooked they do have points. That is because you can eat so many more of them cooked. The way mcD had his list is basically the way WW does theirs for the zero point vs one or two point veggies.

Also for thos struggling on getting veggies in - if you have Allen's Popeye spinach in the freezer section, try it.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Todays vegies

Postby seestorcoo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:11 pm

I've had approx 3 1/2 cups of vegie soup which I figures is between 5 and 7 servings of vegies plus I've had about 3/4 cup salsa which I'm not sure if it counts but its not starchy so maybe. Leaving for work soon and not taking any extra vegies.
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby LauraA » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:08 pm

Today I had a veggie plate for lunch, plus black bean soup. I also had a veggie plate for dinner. I think that I got in more than enough veggies! LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby sksamboots » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 pm

Glad you started this..
I did good today: 5 servings of vegs
sksamboots

Postby somnolent » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:03 am

Today my non-starchy veggies were:

- another big salad from the Whole Foods salad bar = 6 servings
- microwaved frozen mixed vegetables = 1 serving
- 6-inch Subway Veggie Delite = 1 serving?
- 3 sheets nori = who knows?

seestorcoo, sounds like your family was fun. :)
somnolent

Postby Letha » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:17 am

For today, I’m going to do the zucchini in the oatmeal thing for breakfast. I’m doing pinto beans soup over rice for lunch but I’m going to keep the portions very reasonable and add a heaping helping of steamed cabbage. My steamed kale with lemon and Mrs. Dash came out pretty good yesterday and I like cabbage better then Kale, so I thought I do the same thing with the cabbage.

For dinner I’m having one of my favorite meals, mashed potatoes with gravy and hominy. I’ll try to keep those portions reasonable and fill up on steamed broccoli and sautéed onions and peppers. I’ve come to like my broccoli with lemon but I haven’t completely decided how I want to do the onions and peppers. I know how to caramelize an onion just sautéing it in water and I was thinking I might season the onions and pepper with a little vegetarian Worcestershire sauce that I picked up for another recipe. I’ve also got some Szechuan sauce in the fridge. It might be one of those things I’ll decide when I’m actually in front of the skillet.

Hope you all have a veggie filled day.
Letha
Letha

Postby dundas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:45 pm

Oh wow! This challenge is perfect! My goal for this week is to eat my veggies (low starch) first in every meal...

Yesterday at lunch and dinner I had a large serving of salad (lettuce, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, spinach, red capsicum - that's a "red" green pepper at each meal. Lunchtime I had a small bowl of non-starch vegg soup. I've found I really like cold soup.. the pureed kind (It's summer down here.. yesterday was 95º mmmmm hot & dry!!)

Plus for snacks between meals I had two servings of raw cauliflower, cabbage and cucumbers....

I'm finding it hard to eat everything... I'm just not hungry... I'm always surprised to hear myself saying that..... I'm not hungry! Do I "have" to eat all of that??? LOL I feel like I am 6 years old again struggling to finish lunch or dinner!!

Happy Veggies everyone!
BarbAU
dundas

Postby Letha » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:13 am

So today I’m having Zucchini Oats for breakfast and Curried Rice for lunch which has onions, bell peppers, carrots, celery, cauliflower, & tomatoes. Then I’m having a big pile of cooked cabbage and carrots for dinner with my taters and hominy.
Letha
Letha

Postby LauraA » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi all - I'm doing well with veggies. I love my oatmeal as is - with just fruit, but I had veggie soup for lunch, and will have a tomato based veggie sauce loaded with veggies plus brown rice for dinner. I'm loving this way of eating. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program