October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby chef16 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:41 am

Hi! Back again.
09/25/20 248#
10/02/20 245#
3 more pounds gone!
I consistently stick with 3,4,6,8 and9. they are becoming part of my way of eating. I really don't think about them.
I can' t say the same about5 and 7. Sometimes I use a veggie burger or have peanut butter. Sometimes I do it because it is Quick and easy ,sometimes it is to make my husbands meals feel more normal to him( he is doing this with me not because he needs to but to support me). He has said he gets more variety and he is really liking it ,he also has lost some to! I don't go crazy with these items ,but I like a slice of avocado or tofu once in a while for a little something extra. I may have to change it in the future if it starts keeping me from making progress or it becomes a bad habit.
1 and 2 are something I follow most of the time ,but not always .They seem to be the two that would be easy to follow but they slip through and are easy to ignore.
10 is 10, more later.
Doreen
chef16

Postby Kelly140 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:50 am

This week: -1
Total loss: -17
To go: 32

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. Yes
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. Yes
4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 70%, I still struggle with almonds and peanuts. :-(
6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods. Yes.
8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Yes.
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 70%. Need to keep working on this.

I am thankful for this forum and enjoy reading the posts and hearing how everyone is doing. I need the accountability and appreciate all you do, Mark, to keep everyone on track! This way of eating feels so sustainable, unlike other times I have tried to lose the weight, and I feel like I might actually make it to my goal this time! :)
Kelly140

Postby laura_delao » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:06 am

Current weight: 134.4
Change: -0.2

Hello everyone! Not much of a change but at least in the right direction. I am still eating too much fruit, which should be ending soon. I am doing okay with the rest of the checklist. The other day I was talking to a friend on the phone while I was shopping and she asked me "what do you eat then?" and I took a picture of my shopping cart and sent it to her. It was amazing to me to see the difference of the contents in my cart. The only thing in a box was whole wheat pasta, the rest were potatoes, yams, salad, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, onions, jalapenos and fruit. What a change! Thanks for the encouragement and learning experience.

Laura
laura_delao

Postby OrangeBird » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:48 am

CW 217.4
Change +3.2

Well the wedding was a success. Everything was beautiful including my daughter. Unfortunately my food choices were not very compliant and I am paying the price for that with a gain. No animal products but I definitely had white flour, sugar, oil, alcohol and TORTILLA CHIPS (many of them) plus no working out. Back on plan now but definitely feeling like I want snacks more than I had previously. I can really see how once you start down that path, it sucks you in. Hopefully next week I will have a loss!
OrangeBird

Postby Growing a Pear » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:12 am

Change in rolling average this week: +0.9#
SW this week: 142.8#
CW: 143.7#
GW: ~135#

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :!:
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. :!:
2) Choose fruit for dessert. :)
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. :)
4) Eliminate all animal foods. :)
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. :!:
6) Eliminate any added oil. :)
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. :!:
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. :)
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. :)
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :)

My first weight gain, which I wholly own. In fact, by how I felt all week, I'm surprised it wasn't worse. Then again, when I look at the overall pattern, a bad day is one in which I slipped into the regular McDougall plan for a single meal or snack before clawing it back.
(Not trying to justify these decisions but to say that having soup and rice-beans in the fridge ready to go and some automaticity around those behaviors saved my vegetarian bacon.)

When I look at why I slipped into something like peanut butter and toast, it was usually at dinner, usually after a very intensely emotional day spent entirely alone. As those conditions promise to continue for the next couple of weeks and I can't banish the tempting foods from the house, I'll have to promise myself to eat a big bowl of soup first and/or go for a walk.

On a positive note, it has been 159 days since I last had a drink, 78 since my last Clif Bar and 5 since I last ate dry cereal. I have a delicious tomato-vegetable wild-rice soup in the fridge, plus corn and veggies. And I showed up here to report a gain. So I'm still in the game, which is what matters most to me, to be honest. As long as I don't quit, I know I'm capable of figuring this out.

ETA: Mark! I just saw the new glut of people joining the thread for this month. (Welcome, people! :nod: ) Thank you again for your generosity wrt time and expertise.
I just want to emphasize: It is the QUALITY of the food, not the QUANTITY. You are guaranteed success when following a starch-based and a simple diet. Monotony can be a key helper. ~Dr. John McDougall
Growing a Pear

Postby JaBee » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:17 am

Beginning at 202,2 on 9/28/20
Current 197.2, down 5#, still able to wear size medium, however, strange!
Adhered to all MWL points except #7, too many raisins in oatmeal
Is 1/4 c Cream of rice/wheat cooked in 1 c water consistent with MWL guidelines?
Is it the same as cooking oatmeal in water?

Thanks!
JaBee

Postby JeffN » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:36 am

JaBee wrote:Is 1/4 c Cream of rice/wheat cooked in 1 c water consistent with MWL guidelines

Oatmeal is a whole grain. You would want to look for Cream of Whole Wheat or Cream of Brown Rice.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Renestl » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:40 am

July 1 (SW) - 239.6
Aug 28 - 229.1
Sept 25 - 224.2
Oct 3 - 226.6 (+2.4)

Happy October!
I'm not even really upset at the weight gain. This week started out rocky, but the last couple days I've been hitting the points and successfully dodging cravings.
Renestl

Postby JaBee » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:48 am

Thank you, Jeff!
JaBee

Postby Phila » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:00 am

I've read and viewed the required materials and am ready to begin this accountability project. As of today I'm on deck and involved, both in this group and in my own eating. Thanks to all for being here and to those who have made this resource available. It is much needed and I pray we all may experience great success.
Phila

Postby moonlight » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi Everyone! I am excited to join the group again. I took a few months off since I was struggling with compliance. During the off time I gained 4 lbs. I'm pleased that it wasn't anymore than that. It was a struggle to keep from overeating and from binging on things I missed eating. I mostly complied with the regular McD program guidelines. I'm ready to re-commit to the MWL program.

Weight change +4 lbs.
Current Weight 178 lbs.
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week:
I succeeded in keeping a 50/50 plate of veggies to starches and preloading with salad. I exercised more days than not.
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention:
All of them!! Mainly, for this week I would like to end the nibbling of non-compliant food and have a more consistent exercise routine.

I think I might already be too late to be added to the weekly count! I had to take a phone call.... Anyway, I've at least made the commitment to be here.

Good luck everyone!
moonlight

Postby Lachoffman » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:54 pm

No weight loss or gain this week. Stabilized at 180 lbs. Total weight is 36 lbs since July 4, 2020. Starting Week 13 of MWL today. Compliant on all points related to the 10-Point Checklist with exception of 1) consuming two glasses of wine and 2) having four bites of my husband's dessert. Sadly! I made the Wellness Soup this week and am enjoying that. Looking forward to the coming week
Lachoffman

Reporting for October 2 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:01 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for October 2 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:02 pm

NancyNancyR - Congratulations on being down 6 lbs since last Monday! Since that was pre-MWL, we'll use this report as your baseline. You appear to be doing an excellent job adjusting to the recommended behaviors; if your progress slows or stalls you can reassess and make adjustments as needed. This post offers some insight into how the MWL recommendations function as guidelines for our efforts. Water aerobics sound like a fun way to stay active!

chowbby - Happy to be of assistance! Try not to let your concern for your friends joining the group take attention from focusing your efforts on the recommended pattern of behavior.

jkcook - Definitely starting October right! That next milestone is just waiting for you! It's great that you have found some ways to have adherent meals when dining out. Do be mindful of the ingredients in "vegan" sauces, they can often include a lot of salt/oil/sugar.

tinathescreamer - Try not to beat yourself up! That deviation is behind you now, and you have the tools and knowledge to proceed in a fashion that better supports what you seek to achieve; having plenty of the recommended foods on hand and ready to go is always an excellent place to start. :nod: And your second day back at it went better than your first; that is exactly the path to follow - make today's actions at least a little closer to the recommendations than yesterday, keep learning and adjusting where you can better support your success, and you'll achieve your healthy weight by and by.

NorthwestGnome - That "freak out day" may have acted as a strange blessing, if it spurred you to make important changes in your behavior! Eating as simply as possible, in alignment with the MWL guidelines, is a sensible way to start; simplicity nearly always makes adherence more easily attainable. Well done getting right to making the changes! If you can find the No Salt Added Ro-tel (or just substitute NSA tomatoes), that could work for your bean recipe.
JeffN wrote:In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out.
In regard to coffee -
JeffN wrote:Coffee & Tea
While there may be individual reasons to avoid these, they are not an issue for the MWL program. There is no recommendation to avoid them as part of the MWL program. We serve both decaf and regular tea at the program and have no qualms if someone walks to Starbucks and gets a cup of coffee.
So, if you can eliminate the half and half, that is acceptable (although feel free to shift away from coffee if you like). Carrying out those other action items ought to serve you very well!

MaryP - Back on the wagon is the place to be! Keep doing your best to "swing back" into the recommended pattern of behavior. Keeping things simple and concentrating on the fundamentals seems wise. Gifting those cookies should be a viable plan; you may also want to be sure you aren't too hungry while you have them in your house, maybe make a point of eating the recommended foods (assuming you are hungry) before the cookies come out of the oven? Best of luck to you!

SueV - Happy first day to you! Back on track, stocked up, and well-prepared with adherent food ready to go puts you in an advantageous position! Keep it up!

moranjacqui - A 6 lb drop is certainly a thrilling way to start! Companies can be quite sneaky about slipping in troublesome ingredients, right? Jeff's Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels are an excellent tool for helping with that. I wish you a brief and easy recovery from your back problems. How wonderful to have the company and support of your husband while making these changes in your behavior. Jeff's thread on Dining Out may offer you some guidance in making the best possible decisions, while you celebrate with your granddaughter. A very happy 16th birthday to her! Stay well!

Shereenz - Down 2 pounds already! I think it's fabulous that we have participants on opposite sides of the planet! My thanks for making the effort to have our group reports all in the same unit of measure. Carry on using the MWL 10-Point Checklist as a guide for your behavior, and have fun digging and planting!

squealcat - I'm so happy to hear that those comments from wildgoose left you feeling uplifted, Marilyn! Climbing out of the Pleasure Trap isn't easy (I guess if it were, it wouldn't be much of a trap, right?), but I find Jeff's advice to be the surest route.
JeffN wrote:The fundamental basic principle of the MWL Program and the principles of calorie density is "whenever hungry, eat until comfortably full of the recommended foods." Because of this, there is no reason for anyone to feel hungry when following our guidelines. The recommended foods are minimally processed starches, fruits and vegetables. The most satiety, short term and long term comes from minimally processed starches and to keep the calorie density low, have them with some non-starchy vegetables. Remember, we do not have to figure out if it is true hunger, appetite, craving, etc. However, to be successful, you have to prepare for success and make sure you have availability of minimally processed starches throughout the day.

At the 10-Day program, the snack room is full of veggies (cherry tomatoes, baby carrots), fruits (apples, oranges) and starches (regular hummus, roasted red pepper hummus, potatoes, Split pea soup, Black bean soup, and Lentil Couscous soup). People choose from both the starches and fruits/vegetables. Choosing just vegetables or fruit will not be enough for most people to feel satiated. If you experience cravings for unhealthy foods, you can beat these cravings by choosing healthy foods to eat and knowing that these cravings will eventually pass and stop. However, you can not beat your biology (hunger) and your biology/hunger will eventually win.
Dr. Lisle's talk on the Cram Circuit may also have some applicable ideas to offer.
squealcat wrote:I need to stop looking at recipes and cooking shows, keeping my mind on the path ahead and thinking about other things that I enjoy doing.
That seems like an excellent step to take; focus on the fundamentals, keep things simple, and you'll get through this bumpy stretch with tools to carry forward. :)

wischbone - Hello! My utmost congratulations for everything you've achieved in the last 5 years! The behavior adjustments described in the MWL 10-Point Checklist are a great way to maintain that impressive progress!

CUgorji22 - Cheers for getting off to a superb start practicing the recommended behaviors! That diligent attention is a key component for succeeding. This post from Jeff further discusses how to apply the preload recommendation (and all the MWL recommendations, for that matter) within their context as guidelines; it should give you a sense of the perspective to apply. Keep up your great work!

emmycaitlin - All right, ready to go! The next step is to get started putting the principles from the MWL 10-Point Checklist into action! :D

connielovesdogs - Hi! Great to have you back with the group! Including some strength building exercises within your activity plan seems like a laudable and reasonable goal. :nod:

Cathy Ann - Woo-hoo! Back on track, attending to adherence and down 3 pounds! I can imagine how your current hip pain is making it more difficult to stay active; be patient and gentle with yourself and just do what you can (great idea to use the pool!) Soup is probably the simplest and most convenient preload, as Jeff mentions in On Salad, Soup, and Success. Strong and committed! :thumbsup:

KayVee - Good for you! It isn't always easy to look squarely at the position from which we are starting; but, no matter where we begin and how far we have to go, the path to follow is adjusting our pattern of behavior in those ways that support what we seek to achieve. Let me also say THANK YOU for the important work you do as a front-line health care worker! Eliminating those calorie rich, higher fat, and processed foods, in concert with the other recommendations in the MWL 10-Point Checklist, offers an effective, sustainable plan for attaining your goals.

Kathie - Kudos! I'm glad this week felt like it went much better! Those higher fat and calorie dense foods certainly do influence one's results, which is why we're directed to eliminate them for MWL. Unlike the other things you mention, plantains are not high fat, but they are somewhat more calorie dense than most fruits, and I can imagine how someone might find them easy to over consume. If that is the case for you, eliminating them makes sense. Since the week was great otherwise, addressing those few remaining deviations should serve to buttress your progress. :nod:

Tamia - Hello and welcome! The MWL guidelines offer the simplest, easiest, most effective path to achieve your weight management and health goals. If you haven't already, be sure to review the Orientation information, which addresses all the fundamental principles you can use to get started.

grammyjax - Cheers for the 31 pounds you already lost with the Starch Solution! It sounds like you have some important reasons for continuing your weight loss journey; the recommendations in the MWL 10-Point Checklist are an appropriate step to support your efforts. To get a full idea of the adjustments made for MWL, be sure to take advantage of the Orientation information.

Lucas - Congrats on losing 2 more pounds and hitting the 170s! Look at how far you have come; a really good week for sure! That soup sounds great, and if it comprises roughly equal visual volumes of starches and non-starchy vegetables, it is essentially fulfilling the concept of the 50/50 plate. Jeff discusses this in On Salad, Soup, and Success, and the SNAP template might give you a sense of the respective amounts of each to aim for. Your ongoing, diligent efforts can make October great!

CarolMarie - Cheers for the nearly 30 pounds you've lost already, and the 1.4 pounds since October 1! As you note, for one's way of eating and pattern of behavior to deliver the lasting results we want, it must be sustainable; the most effective behaviors for achieving healthy, sustainable weight loss are outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist. Just as you experienced this week, when we are eating the recommended foods, in the recommended fashion, whenever hungry until comfortably full, we inevitably make progress while feeling satisfied. Refraining from eating troublesome, non adherent foods is probably the most common challenge; cravings for something like cheese may endure for some time - which makes it even more important to eat of the recommended foods whenever you are hungry. If it's possible to remove the bothersome items from your environment (or at least make them less readily available), that can give your "willpower" a break. The cravings will fade with time, provided you refrain from indulging them. Keep reminding yourself to make the choices that will support your goals.

kirstykay - Kudos for taking that "poor start" and getting it turned right around in the end with 3 days of 10/10! I think you are wise to focus on those things you can control; I read something on a related note recently that really struck me - "If you can do something about it, why worry?" (You should just take the appropriate action.) "If you can't do anything about it, why worry?" (What effect will your worry have, apart from possibly leaving you less ready to face whatever challenges are ahead). Keep moving forward!

Mrsmillyme - Hi! :D It often takes folks a little time to become familiar with how to use the discussion board; no worries, just do your best and be patient with yourself. Dr. McDougall discusses Hypertension under the Common Health Problems section of the site, including his general recommendations. The Hot Topics page for High Blood Pressure collects his many newsletter articles on the subject, and a couple of relevant Success Stories. In this post, Jeff shares directions for how to accurately measure blood pressure. How are you doing with implementing the MWL 10-Point Checklist?

timbo97 - Kudos! You have it right; when we strictly adhere to the pattern of behavior described by the MWL 10-Point Checklist, we'll inevitably reach a healthy, sustainable weight, given sufficient time. So, a productive focus is to reduce and ultimately eliminate deviations wherever we have the opportunity and capability of doing so. You may find some of the accounts in the My Daily Menus & Journals encouraging; you could even start a journal yourself, I found it to be a very helpful practice.

dbrezee - Hi! Welcome to the group; I'm glad you decided to join! Have you made a start on the MWL 10-Point Checklist?

Zoey - YAY! Great to see you posting again! I think you've captured what, to me, is so amazing about the MWL 10-Point Checklist and the behavioral framework of MWL - since the outcome is contingent on behavior, so long as we have a clear understanding of the principles, and are confident in our execution, the scale will take care of itself. If we start getting incongruent feedback from the scale consistently over time, rather than incidentally, then that is a signal to take inventory and review our understanding of the principles. In other words, when we are doing the right things consistently, we're making progress, whether or not that progress is immediately visible via our method of measure. Do you know what happens to someone who consistently loses, on average, a half a pound per week? In a year they find themselves 26 pounds lighter! :lol: All without "suffering!" Not a bad deal at all!

chef16 - How nice to be saying goodbye to 3 more pounds! Having half the checklist fully integrated into your routine, is half the battle won! The remaining recommendations offer clear areas where taking action to better prepare and better adhere could support continued progress. Keep striving to make each week and day better than the last!

Kelly140 - Down a pound! Your assessment looks pretty solid; is it possible to remove the almonds and peanuts from your environment, so you can take a break from that struggle? Do your best to reach for the recommended foods when you want to eat, and keep heading for your goal!

laura_delao - Modest progress in the right direction still counts! With all the beautiful, seasonal fruits available, I can see why you've been enjoying those. I think this post and this post help to provide some perspective for the fruit recommendations. Your shopping cart sounds very similar to my own, Laura! When I'm waiting to checkout (6 feet back), I always find it eye-opening to peek at the selections of nearby shoppers - what a difference, indeed!

OrangeBird - I'm delighted that your daughter's wedding was a beautiful, tremendous event! My very best to the newlyweds! It sounds like that foray off plan is giving you a powerful demonstration of how the Pleasure Trap works. The good news is, if you resist those renewed cravings and stay on track, they will subside again with time, and those added pounds can be gone again before long.

Growing a Pear - Kudos for showing up to report on the tough weeks, as well as the easy ones! Hang in there, and know that once you can successfully meet this new challenge, you'll be able to carry the tools you devise forward for other challenges. :) Let me take a moment to recognize the effort and achievement inherent in those respective periods of abstinence - I think it is important to take note of the significant accomplishments achieved with effort and intent. If it isn't feasible to remove the particular items that are troubling you, committing to, at minimum, always eat the recommended foods BEFORE deciding to eat something non adherent is a sensible approach. Would it make sense to plan on having an adherent "snack" in the afternoon, since the slip is happening in the evening? Keep in mind Dr. Lisle's lecture on The Story of Willpower, our blood glucose levels exercise a powerful influence on our decision making.
JeffN wrote:The most important part is his discussion on decision making (by the judges) and their blood glucose level. The best way to maintain steady blood glucose levels (and your willpower to make good decisions), is to eat when hungry and include starch when you do. Not eating when hungry, fasting, time restricted eating, eating by the clock, etc and you may run into low blood sugar and hunger and perhaps, some unhealthy choices.
In my own case, I found it necessary to decide that there were certain "healthy," but non-MWL foods that I just would not ever eat anymore, because of the effect they had on me, and my inability to "moderate" consumption of those foods. Interestingly, after I said goodbye to those things forever, my troubles went away, despite the foods still being in my house.
Growing a Pear wrote:As long as I don't quit, I know I'm capable of figuring this out.
I absolutely agree! :thumbsup:

JaBee - Goodbye to 5 pounds! Just eliminate those raisins, and you'll be hitting 10/10! Thanks to Jeff for fielding your question about grains/cereals. If you're in search of an alternative to oatmeal, I personally quite enjoy both millet and buckwheat, and either can be prepared in ~10 minutes.

Renestl - Happy October! Resolving those "rocky" times and getting right back to "hitting the points" is a valuable skill to cultivate. Try to think through the factors that led to things feeling "rocky," if you can address those, then you'll be able to circumvent the next "rocky" stretch entirely. Cheers to conquering those cravings!

Phila - Greetings and welcome! Today is a great day to step on deck and get involved with changing your behavior! How are you doing with the MWL 10-Point Checklist?

Moonlight - Hi! I'm really excited you are back and recommitting to MWL! You did successfully report ahead of the deadline. :D Since those 4 pounds accrued during your time away, I'll mark today as a new start. 2 points managed, 8 to go; you know the behaviors well, but a review of the group resources never hurts for spurring action. I always find a replay of one of Dr. Lisle's lectures helps get me motivated, too. All the best!

Lachoffman - 36 lbs since July 4! That Wellness Soup sounded appealing to me, too! With assiduous attention to the 10 points, progress is sure to follow.
Mark Cooper

Postby CCL54 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Hello everyone,

Here I am, ready to go. I've read the orientation materials and watched the videos. Please add me to this group. I'm a few days late getting started, but here I am anyway.

Thanks!
CCL54

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program