August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Weigh-In Report Compilation - August 14, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below.

Mark's Replies for August 14 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for August 14 - Part 2

By my count, 52 participants reported for our second August 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the second Friday in August:

Week ending 8/14/2020: 52 participants reported a total loss of -61.20 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Lucas +1.20
Josietheschnauzer +1.00
Ladevereaux +1.00
Renestl +1.00
Beeshell +0.90
Minisweet +0.80
OrangeBird +0.60
Vegeloon +0.20
Total gains: +6.70
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Calharv 0.00
Ceeceeb 0.00
Dot 0.00
Pattyj115 0.00
Reni 0.00
Rlechols 0.00
Texaslil 0.00
Drew* -0.10
Dahabeena -0.20
GreenFroG -0.20
Growing a Pear -0.40
Lmggallagher -0.60
NateKruse -0.60
VivianS -0.60
Amberlina -1.00
Hope410 -1.00
Joanne_elon -1.00
Kelly140 -1.00
Laura_delao -1.00
Cmurphy -1.20
PonysPlants -1.20
Expat in NZ -1.30
Abe -1.40
VNiehoff -1.40
Wstokes -1.40
Wfpb2020 -1.80
Zoey -1.80
Cathy Ann -2.00
Golightly -2.00
Lachoffman -2.00
Vegyluvver -2.00
Violet3135 -2.00
Waterfit -2.10
BarbaraLynn -2.20
Squealcat -2.50
Trish -2.50
Goal140 -2.80
Chef16 -3.00
Kathie -3.00
LesleyMills -3.00
Conniegeerhart -3.30
Dennis h -4.00
CindyD -4.30
Pootsy -6.00
Total losses: -67.90
Cumulative group loss for August 2020 to date: 141.90 pounds
Average loss for week ending August 14: 1.18 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: 96.60 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2020: 60.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2020: 218.00 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2020: 191.50 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2020: 120.63 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2020 to date: 524.80 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, August 21, 2020.

Let me salute the continuing, laudable efforts put forth by our participants! Whether this week felt great, or presented abundant challenges (or both :-D ), I celebrate your decision to keep putting in the work, making the changes in your behavior, and reporting your progress! We're halfway through August already!

I know that within the continuum of social media and online video, there are numerous voices offering messages and information toward similar ends to the McDougall program, or driving adjacent "plant-based" initiatives. Some people may derive motivation from these, for others they may contribute to confusion. Some speakers, advocates or groups may offer advice that aligns fairly closely with MWL, others may endorse a message that is not consistent with the program we follow in this group. The most reliable and accessible online space for information about the McDougall program, and Dr. McDougall's advice, recommendations, and philosophy toward health is Dr. McDougall's Health & Medical Center website. The education section offers multiples paths for exploring the foundation of the McDougall program, and includes features on Common Health Problems, Hot Topics in Health & Science, and A Lesson in Nutrition. If you feel like you could benefit from a more hands-on program, the new in-depth interactive course, 12-Days to Dynamic Health is available, including medical care via Telehealth, and ongoing personalized support.

If you have questions about the MWL program or are confused about how to implement the guidelines, this group's resources are the here for you - just post here and either Jeff, wildgoose or I will respond.
JeffN wrote:Besides this forum, the following social media pages are the only ones that are officially endorsed by The McDougall Program. They are monitored, managed and facilitated by Dr McDougall and his staff.

Twitter
John McDougall, MD
https://twitter.com/johnmcdougallmd

Facebook
John McDougall, MD,
https://www.facebook.com/DrJohnMcDougall

The McDougall 10-Day Program Alumni**
https://www.facebook.com/groups/332055200265040/

The McDougall 3-Day ASW Alumni**
https://www.facebook.com/groups/230013840455156/

The McDougall Travel Adventure Alumni**
https://www.facebook.com/groups/343993155693254/

**These groups require approval

We also maintain a closed FB Page for each of the private companies we work with and one for the graduates of The Starch Solution Course. These also require approval.

While we understand that there are many groups out there trying to share our message, we can not ensure that the message you will get there is accurate and inline with our program.

Let me close with another quote from Jeff, which is perennially worth consideration and review -
JeffN wrote:If you are hungry, eat. We do not recommend skipping meals, fasting, going hungry or eating only vegetables (or fruit) at a meal. We do not recommend intermittent fasting but eating when hungry.

When you eat, make sure your choices always include a minimally processed starch. This is 100% true for MWL too. The starch should be about 50% of the volume of the food you eat. Do not wait an hour to eat the starch after the vegetables.

Just reaching for vegetables, salads or fruit is not going to do it in the long run and you will most likely end up overeating later in the day, or week. This is because the satiety from vegetables, salad and fruit is not the same or as long lasting as the satiety from starch and can set you up to overeat/binge later. This may happen within the day or it may happen after several days. Then you end up wondering why you are eating salads and vegetables and not losing weight and often think, I just need to eat “more” salad, veggies or fruit. To break the cycle, always eat starch with your veggies and/or fruits.

Keep building those healthy habits everyone, and have an amazing week!
Mark Cooper

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Noella » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Dear Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff and everyone following the MWL guidelines,

Weight change since last week: +/- 0 (no change as I can’t weigh myself this week to find out)
Weight change since starting McDougall Starch Solution Jan. 2020: -67lbs.
Weight change since starting McDougall MWL Apr. 2020: -25lbs.

I am having a great experience following the guidelines this week while camping. I prepared minestrone soup, marinara sauce, and for starches I pre-roasted potatoes, and pre cooked pasta, rice and oatmeal porridge to bring with us. so along with lots of fresh fruits and veggies I am able to serve delicious MWL-adherent meals for our family. We brought ALL healthy foods which helps me stay on track with the MWL guidelines. I am able to walk beach trails every day while camping so I have followed the guidelines 100%

It feels fantastic to weigh a few pounds less each and every month. I can’t wait to be at a normal weight for my height! As I get closer I know it will happen fairly soon although I’m not sure exactly how long it will take. I am so thankful for the weight loss I have achieved so far.
Camping is one of my favourite things to do for fun and everything is easier with camping this year compared to last year because I have lost weight. For instance, I can crawl in and out of our two person backpacking tent much easier. I also hike at a faster pace. I have a long list of lifestyle improvements...everything in my life is improving as I get healthier! ;-)

I am beyond appreciative to be part of this group! Thank you to all MWL participants for sharing your experiences with MWL here because I read every word you write, sometimes multiple times!
Thank you, Mark, Wildgoose and Jeff all of your recommendations, links to information and videos, kind words of encouragement and support. I read everything you suggest and what amazing changes I have made based on what you have taught me. I’m inspired to keep going and with everyone’s support I look forward to getting a bit healthier this week.

Best regards,
Noella
P.S. Oops! Sorry for posting late this week, Mark; I am so relaxed with the beautiful beach views I wasn’t paying attention to the time and missed the 12:00 deadline.
Noella

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Noella - That sounds like an absolutely paradisiacal camping experience! I envy those walks on the beach! Kudos to you for putting the work into planning and preparation that has allowed you to serve and enjoy MWL adherent meals while on your adventure. Very well done! How lovely it must have felt to make note of the many ways your camping activities were easier due to your lifestyle improvements - the best reward of all. Enjoy! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby texaslil » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi Mark,
Yes the smoothies definitely satisfy me when I'm craving something more than just fruit. I feel like instead of having something that is really not good for me, I do the smoothie.. I'm definitely not having them as much as I used to but still having them here and there. Any tips or ideas of how to eliminate them would be helpful.
Thanks!
Laila
texaslil

Postby OrangeBird » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi Mark,
My daughter was over on Tuesday for dress decisions and makeup and hair trials for the upcoming wedding so it was easier to order out as my daughters aren't following a WFPB diet. Wednesday was just leftovers. Totally a convenience related decision. They do offer a no oil steamed veggie entree which I had with brown rice but also had some of the other veggie dish that has the sauce. Definitely going to have to stick with the steamed version if we do it again.
OrangeBird

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:54 pm

texaslil - I guess I would try to consider specifically what was appealing about the smoothie, and try to satisfy that within the context of the MWL guidelines. Do you find the smoothie satisfying because it is sweet? Because it's cold? Creamy? A particular ingredient? If you get a sense of that, then you could perhaps think of a substitution - maybe a creamy grain like oats or buckwheat, served cold with fruit, or a sweet potato topped with berries, or frozen bananas or mangoes. If you can imagine a satisfactory adherent replacement, it's likely to be easier to eliminate the smoothies. Alternatively, you could just keep aiming to indulge that craving less and less frequently, until you ultimately eliminate it.

OrangeBird - It's great that they offer a steamed vegetable option! You could even pair that with an extra order of brown rice, or order multiple portions of both, if you wanted to be sure and have some leftovers. That day of trying out hair and makeup options and making dress decisions with your daughters sounds fun!
Mark Cooper

Postby Creaky » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:12 pm

I would like to join the MWL Weigh-in group. I completed the orientation and would like to be added to the group.

Thank you.
Creaky

Legumes question

Postby MonkeysMom » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:48 pm

For purposes of the 50 - 50 plate: would legumes be considered a starchy vegetable?
MonkeysMom

Re: Legumes question

Postby JeffN » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:26 pm

MonkeysMom wrote:For purposes of the 50 - 50 plate: would legumes be considered a starchy vegetable?

This will answer your question..

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=61149&p=618329

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby BarbaraLynn » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Good afternoon fellow MWLers -

Couldn’t resist giving a shoutout to Jeff’s Bean Burgers which I made for the first time today! OMGosh what took me so long? After grilling them, I cut them in chunks on a bed of kale, tomato, onion, broccoli, cucumber and corn with a little vinegar and lime juice. I did add the suggested 1/4 tsp of chipotle to the recipe, which gave them a nice flavor! These little protein powerhouses will be a regular meal for me. I imagine they freeze well too and can be brought down one at a time! Yum!!!

I do love the way we eat! Off to hike shortly!

My best,
BarbaraLynn
BarbaraLynn

Postby wildgoose » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:45 pm

BarbaraLynn wrote:Couldn’t resist giving a shoutout to Jeff’s Bean Burgers which I made for the first time today! ..... I imagine they freeze well too and can be brought down one at a time!

Yes, they freeze very well. I cook a whole batch, let them cool, then individually wrap them and put them in round freezer-safe containers in batches of 4. That’s what works the best for us, although I’ve also heard of separating them with squares of parchment paper and freezing them in freezer bags.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Creaky - Welcome! I'm excited you decided to jump aboard!
Mark Cooper

Postby josietheschnauzer » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi, I did "search"... What about Bulgur? I can't find a yea or nay as to its use in MWL. I would like to make my version of tabbouleh with no oil and lots of parsley, green onions, cucumber, and tomato. Thank you.
josietheschnauzer

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 am

josietheschnauzer wrote:Hi, I did "search"... What about Bulgur? I can't find a yea or nay as to its use in MWL. I would like to make my version of tabbouleh with no oil and lots of parsley, green onions, cucumber, and tomato. Thank you.
Cooked bulgur should be acceptable as a starch within the MWL guidelines; enjoy the tabbouleh, it sounds delicious!
Mark Cooper

Postby josietheschnauzer » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Thank you, Mark! You are the best!
josietheschnauzer

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program