August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Reminder - Weigh-In on Friday, August 21, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:16 pm

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's weigh-in and seeing everyone's reports! Friday is this group's weigh-in day, and participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the summary that I compile for Saturday evening. This group is all about changing patterns of behavior, so it seems reasonable to me to expect those who choose to participate in the weekly weigh-in to honor that time frame for reporting. In addition to reporting your weight change in pounds, more importantly, please be sure to evaluate your behaviors within the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, if you please. I will respond to everyone's reports in a cumulative post on Friday evening and Saturday evening, and the summary for the week will be posted Saturday night.

For more information on why participants are recommended to weigh themselves once a week while in the weight loss phase, check out this excellent and thorough article from Jeff - To Weigh or Not to Weigh

My very best to all, and I'll see you tomorrow!
Mark Cooper

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Expat in NZ » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Weigh in - Aug 1 193.4
Aug 7 191.8lb (-1.6lb)
Aug 14 - 190.5lb (-1.3lb)
Aug 21 - 188.7lb (-1.8lb from last week)

Hello all! It's Friday here in New Zealand :)

I am pleased that my loss has been steady over the last few weeks and it's shaping up to be a great month of weight loss! I am also noticing that lifting weights is easier for several reasons - less "fluff" in the way and feeding my muscles what they actually need (finally), not to mention having more energy mentally as well, if that makes sense? I approach my heavy days with enthusiasm and ready to kick butt now instead of uuuuuuugh I don't WANT to deadlift 250lb today....can I skip it?? :lol:

I also made a deal with myself that I would not buy any new clothes until I was at my goal weight - but that may be difficult as my pants are already becoming problematically loose. What a problem to have! I might have to compromise with myself on that one. :)

I stuck with all the guidelines pretty well, but there were a couple of meals I did not start with a salad or soup. On these occasions I ate more steamed veggies (and ate them first) to make up for it. I still struggle a bit to find the happy place of "comfortably full" because I starved my body of good nutrition for so long (but I thought I was supposed to eat tons of "good fats" and protein! :oops: ) - I feel like I overeat sometimes but I am never miserably full, just a little overfull maybe. I know I ate about 2lbs of steamed broccoli and carrots last night before I even touched my potatoes!

Looking forward to seeing how everyone fared this week. :)
American Expat, wife, mom of 2, weightlifter, foodie
Started McDougall June 2020 - 93kg (204.6lb)
Aug 1 2020 - 87.9kg (193.4lb)
Goal weight - 60kg (132lb)
One day at a time!

Expat in NZ

Postby LesleyMills » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:19 pm

7th week weigh in, was 175lbs now 172lbs, 3lbs loss
Grateful that my efforts are showing. With regard to the plan, I'm going to follow how others document this as I guess it's easier to read and relate back to the program we're all trying to follow.

1. Start meal with soup/salad/fruit 100%
2. 50/50 plate non-starch veggies vs minimal processed starch. 100% and now I've adjusted this back to 50/50 the weight is dropping again.
3. Eliminate added sugar and salt. 100%
4. Eliminate animal foods. 100% not hard at all as a vegan
5. Eliminate high fat food. 100% hot chips and crisps, I crave salt and vinegar crisps.
6. Eliminate added oil. 100%
7. Eliminate higher calorie dense foods inc flour. 100% but I'm craving bread.
8. Don't drink calories. 100%
9. Follow principles: eat when hungry, don't starve/stuff yourself. 100%
10. Avoid sedentary lifestyle, at least 30 mins moderate exercise. 100%

I'm finding I'm craving taste as mustard, herbs and chilli aren't enough. Not craving chocolate but I just need more taste in my food. Not sure if this ever goes but this is my current struggle.
LesleyMills

Postby LesleyMills » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Mark's Replies for August 14 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:00 am
LesleyMills - ..... Be mindful that you aren't letting yourself become too hungry; would it be possible to have a reserve of that soup you describe (or some other 50/50 prepared dish) ready for those times you feel like you're definitely needing a snack? ......

Thanks Mark for this suggestion. I always have cold baked potatoes in the fridge along with a pot of whatever soup I'm currently eating so I have something to nibble on between meals when hungry. I'm not getting hungry but find I'm thinking about food that has a big flavour at times as no salt or oil I think is something I'm struggling with. I find that hot chilli sauce on a cold baked potato tends to stop the craving but am hoping that this craving too will pass as did the need for wine, chocolate and cakes.
LesleyMills

Postby josietheschnauzer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Wow! Expat in NZ, Dead lift all those pounds! Wow! :eek: Bravo!
josietheschnauzer

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:07 am

Lost 0.8lbs this week. Once again! It’s definitely my go to number. I know I slipped this week a bit so things to improve on going forward. 0.8lbs chips away at the total quite nicely but it would be nice to lose a bit more.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES. This is just how I eat now. So easy and I love it.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Easy. Vegan for life ;)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Had some crisps and a small amount of chocolate. Don’t have an excuse, just the greed got the better of me. Also had bread on a couple of occasions. Ugh.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Still having a little oat milk in my tea. I was trying to have it black but it gave me an upset stomach.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. Yes, been walking most days for an hour and some Pilates, too.

Thanks as always to the superstar moderators. I appreciate so much you helping me with this and for running this group.
PonysPlants

Postby Cathy Ann » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:02 am

Current Weight 227
August Start weight 233
July Start weight 245
August loss -6
July loss -12

10-point plan
1. Start each meal.... Mostly
2. 50/50 Plate...& fruit for dessert. Yes
3. Reduce added sugar and salt. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods. Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant food. Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all high calorie-dense food including Flour. Yes
8. Don't drink your calories. Yes
9. Follow principles, Eat when hungry.... Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary..This is easier said than done for me. All I can say is, it is a work in progress.

Had a fantastic week with my meals, but I did slip back into bad habits of watching too much Netflix and staying up too late at night. need to work on this bad habit, as I have been exhausted all week. I feel that sticking to this plan has helped my bad habit of binge eating, I also feel that I'm also thinking less about it.
Change of season to Spring next week, and my goal is to do my spring clean, before it gets too hot.
Had a lazy week with no exercise, I have to get myself to the pool next week!
So happy with my weight loss thus far, and excited about my future weight loss. Just going to stick with the plan, and keep my food choices very simple. Wow! this week has gone so fast! Have a fantastic week everyone!
Cathy Ann

Postby Waterfit » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:13 am

Starting weight: 120.1
Last weeks weight: 113.4
Current weight: 112.4
Loss this week: 1 lb
Goal: 109

I am grateful for the last few weeks for starting to lose again after a stall for months and months. I have had a few days with more starch than veggies, or too much fruit but everything else has been on point. I am even doing a bit more exercise. I have finally gotten a routine down and even finding a few favorites things to eat. It's a learning experience as I continue to change some bad habits. Until next week....
Waterfit

Postby josietheschnauzer » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:17 am

I lost 2.4 pounds. I am on this equilibrium waltz---one week, stay the same, then gain one pound, then lose 2 or so pounds. I am so curious. When do I reach the point where I stay the same? Again :-D for the record, I have never weighed this little in my life. I am eating healthy, I am exercising, and I am thin. What more could I ask for? I have lost a total of 28.8 pounds since starting the MWL. Now I have lost a little over 100 pounds since starting Dr. McDougall's life saving way of eating.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit: I have been in a rush sometimes this week, so the salad has been one or two raw carrots.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES, I eat lots of greens (chopped kale, broccoli, spinach) to boost my immune system.

2) Choose fruit for desert. Yes, BUT, I am counting 2 small peaches as one fruit.....funny, last week I didn't count one huge grapefruit as two grapefruits...... Is there an ideal weight of fruit we should be looking for. For example 1/2 pound a day? Just wondering because I get confused over serving sizes of berries and melons also.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES! Mrs. Dash to the front plus New Mexico chile powder.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES! Save the animals!

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES, no accidental avocado gift from the Chinese carry out. :-D Yesterday, I was given a gift of home made "fat free" hummus. A friend made it for me because several months ago I raved about it and ate it when she told me it was "fat free". After all, she said she made it without fat....wrong, I asked for the recipe, and, it had lots of tahini--so bottom line, I accepted her gift, and it will age nicely in the back of my refrigerator. I will not eat it. :unibrow:

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES, but I have had temptations to have a bagel and hummus this week from my coffee shop.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES, NO drinking! :roll:

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES, getting better at not stuffing myself!

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES, tomorrow, August 22, I will celebrate 150 day streak of exercise every day (minimum is 2 miles or about a half hour).
josietheschnauzer

Postby Abe » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:41 am

Weight Change: 0 lbs.

• Follow 50/50 plate volume.
    Mark your insights and reassurances are always welcome, thank you. My main source of difficulty with adhering to 50/50 for all meals is my brain. At the risk of having the food shrinks come after me, I seem to have a rogue actor aspect to my brain that refuses to get with the program despite what I report here on my noble intentions. I am aware of this situation, and am getting annoyed with myself for not complying. My urge to eat starch heavy meals and snacks is very strong. I find it interesting that this 50/50 guideline is the one tripping me up. I would have guessed that it would be refraining from animal products or bread that was most difficult, but I do not get meat and cheese cravings unless I see them, or drive by places where I used to eat them.

I am getting embarrassed and annoyed by my continued struggle with this point, and perhaps that will be enough to provide the motivation I need to override my starch gluttony. I should only have to decide to eat 50/50, just like I decide to commit to following the other MWL points, none of which are that easy in the beginning.

It is just so easy and delicious to eat potatoes, sweet potatoes, or oat groats. I mildly enjoy the non-starchy vegetables, but not viscerally as I do with starch.

Sorry, their online store seems to be out at the moment, but there is a local Vermont hot sauce with no sodium for you guys to try. They sell it at one of my local supermarkets sometimes, but they seem to be out now. Not sure what their distribution is like out of state, but keep an eye out for it. I did not like their mustard, but I do like their Zoodle sauces, most of which appear to be MWL compliant, except the Sweet Potato version has cashews in it.
    0 Sodium 0 Calories Hot Sauce
    https://liveyoungkitchen.com/products/smoked-onion-hot-sauces
Abe

Postby CindyD » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:49 am

Female, age 51, 5'8"
Starting weight July 6, 2020: 211.7

August 14, 2020: 188.0
August 21, 2020: 185.6
Result: -2.4

Since July 6: -26.0

Following all guidelines very well with the possible exception of:

5.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).. I have been (sparingly) using an Asian spice mix that includes sesame seeds, on salad.

I know my progress is really good but even though it's 26 pounds overall, it's hard for me to see much difference when I look in the mirror. I'm sure this is because
1)
I just gained probably 15 of those pounds (Covid-15) right before I started in July, and
2) I look at myself every day so I know it's hard to see changes.
My next size down pants are still out of reach, dangit! But mostly staying positive about the process.

Good luck to everyone! Many thanks as always to Mark and the team. :)
CindyD

Postby jan_npr » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:13 am

Gain 2.0 lbs

Room for so much improvement!

I thought I had posted my .2 lb weight gain last week but I guess not. This week up another 2.0 pounds. I started tracking my compliance and see that I am only about 50% compliant. Have been feeling very blah the past couple of weeks. I think it is because my husband has been away and when I'm alone I get lazy and cravings arise. Now that I am tracking my compliances (by meal and snack) and looking for 80% compliance I'm hoping that will help motivate me. Also knee pain (went at a return to biking too hard) keeping me awake. Looking into physio and massage. Need a boost to my self-esteem and for this pandemic to be over. haha I know others have it so much worse and have to remember to feel so blessed.

Many thanks to Mark and moderators.

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.   doing this only about half the time, if that.
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method 2) Choose fruit for desert. mostly
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  Had salty processed food. I'm sure that contributed to the gain.
4) Eliminate all animal foods YES
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6) Eliminate any added oil. I NEED to get rid of that vegan margarine in the fridge. It's been talking to me all week.
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. BREAD! What! Threw away bagels that I bought for guests and that they didn't eat. Learned my lesson there. NO more bagels.
8 ) Don’t drink your calories No problem here.
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Actually pretty good here - I can eat until I"m in pain when off track but didn't do it.
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily
jan_npr

Postby Dennis h » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:40 am

last week 216 lbs
this week 214 lbs

-2 lbs

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
gotta stay consistent
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
gotta stay consistent
2) Choose fruit for desert.
check
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
check
4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
check
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
check
6) Eliminate any added oil.
check
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
gotta be more consistent
8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
almost
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
almost
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
check

thanks everyone for your support
dennis h
Dennis h

Postby Renestl » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:54 am

July 31 - 231.4
Aug 7 - 231.6 (+0.2)
Aug 14 - 233.4 (+1.8)
Aug 21 - 230.2 (-3.2)

3) Did better on salt intake. Mrs. Dash is a lifesaver. Funny because I used to miss the salt way more than I do now.
4 & 6) going in the right direction
Sticking to my few little simple meals and water means rommate is eating my food a little more, which reduces undesirable foods in the house! Although now I have to cook a little extra, I'm fine with that if it helps keep temptations away.
Renestl

Postby squealcat » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:56 am

August 21 wt : 200.3
August 14 wt : 199.6
August 7 wt: 202.1
August 1 wt : 203.1
Total loss in August: 2.8#

Gain of : 0.7 # this week

I really didn't think I did too badly this week. I had a couple of times when I ate when not hungry but was able to stop myself. Too much salt on 2 occasions. I could be better at the 50/50 plate method (going to stock up of frozen veggies to do this one better this week). I had 3 fruits most days. Had salmon when at the restaurant. Had air popped popcorn once and a couple slices of bread once. No oil except for when eating out. No added sugars that I remember. Did not drink calories. Did not stuff myself. Walked for over an hour on 5 days.

OK, now that my confession is done I feel like laughing ! :lol: I can see that all these little things together make a big thing :roll: . I will keep being aware and start doing more to stick to those 10 points. Getting frozen veggies today because I don't have enough to do the 50/50 plate every day. I need to eat a cucumber and potato when I get the urge to eat (the potato always works for me). Salad is the choice when out to eat and I can bring my own dressing. I don't think 3 fruits a day is a bad thing but i will try the 2 fruits per day on more days this week.

Now I am off for a walk before it gets too hot. After my shower I will get myself to the store for veggies. That is my plan!

Have a good week everyone !
-squealcat (marilyn)
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program