February 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby chaz01 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:02 am

So I took Mark's challenge and worked out the following method for evaluating my adherence to the MWL checklist.

• For purposes of this exercise, I defined a meal as the traditional meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) plus any snacks that I might have up until the next meal
  • For each meal, I rated myself on a scale of 0 to 10 (0 being I didn't follow the principal at all, and 10 being complete compliance with the principle.) So each meal has a potential of 100 total points, and with 3 meals each day there's 300 total points for the day
  • For the exercise component of the checklist, I gave myself 1 point for each minute of aerobic exercise I did that day up to the max 30 points for the day, divided equally between the three meals

So, as a couple of examples - for breakfast, I typically have a big bowl of oatmeal each morning. I struggled with the starting with a salad/soup component here. I know Mark indicated earlier a fruit salad would count, but I typically add fruit to my oatmeal and don't really want or have time to cut more fruit. So I counted the fruit in my cereal for partially fulfilling this requirement and settled for giving myself 5 out of 10 points for this component. I also counted the fruit as a vegetable for purpose of the 50/50 starch/vegetable component and gave myself full credit for that one. I do add a little almond milk to oatmeal -- uh,oh, that's some added sugar as well as high fat plant food (almonds). But in this case, I use the milk sparingly, so I think the total sugar and fat added is pretty low. Thus, I only docked myself 3 points on both the added sugar and high fat plant food components, leaving 7 of 10 points in these categories. I gave myself 10 points for all the other food categories, and since I exercised for 30 minutes that day, I gave myself the full 10 points for exercise. So my total score for that meal is 5 + 10 + 7 + 10 + 7 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 = 89/100 points.

Another example, went to dinner at the Olive Garden. I ordered a big bowl of whole grain pasta with vegetables and marinara sauce, so I gave myself 10 points for the 50/50 starch/vegetable component. Started off with a salad, so I get the full 10 points for that. I was sure to order the salad dressing on the side, but I did use a minimal amount of the dressing, which I know had oil in it. So I took off only 3 points for added oil based on the quantity of dressing used. I did have 1 breadstick (oops, that's another 3 points I took off) and had 2 glasses of wine, deducting 5 points for each glass of wine, giving me a 0 points for not drinking your calories. But I gave myself full credit for the other categories, including getting my exercise in, for a total of 84 points for that meal - which is what I would expect for this kind of meal, not a horrible score, but not something I'd want to repeat every night.

I rated myself for 3 meals for 3 days so far, with the following scores. I tend to eat the same meals repeatedly, so I have similar score. It sounds like a lot of work, but I put a table in my phone app and able to quickly scroll through and give myself a score for each meal. I like the idea of quantifying how well I'm adhering to the plan - even if the numbers I use are completely subjective (I'm sure Mark or Jeff might not have given me such high scores on my selections :-D), it does help me make better selections knowing I have to numerically rate my choices and will be interesting to compare scores from different weeks going forward, especially when maybe I'm not doing so well.

So far, I've rated 1 weekend day and 2 weekdays...

Weekend - 89, 90, 84 = 263
Weekday 1 - 89, 86, 94 = 269
Weekday 2 - 89, 86, 86 = 261

Hope this helps!

Chuck

Mark wrote:This seems like a method for making use of the MWL Checklist that could be really helpful for some people - for others that level of granular attention may be counterproductive. I would encourage everyone to take a moment to consider whether using this idea might work for them. If I were to do this, I'd just score each meal out of 10 and add up the results for a cumulative score; so 30/30 would be 100% adherence or an A+. I'd include my exercise for the entire day in the score for each meal, so by exercising I automatically have 3/30 (or 2/20 for two meals). That's just my first thought for a way to use this concept, but I think it may have value for a couple reasons - in addition to helping provide an immediate opportunity to get the day back on track at the very next meal, it also provides a fairly precise way to quantify one's level of adherence from day to day and week to week. Rather than having the general sense that I need to pay more attention to salt or the 50/50 plate, I would be able to see precisely how many meals were affected and be able to tell how much I was improving over the course of the week or several weeks. Again, this may not work for everybody (or even anybody) in the MWL group, but I'd be curious to hear what some of you think and how you might apply the concept. If anyone wants to give it a try for the week as an experiment, I'd be very excited to hear how it goes.
chaz01

Postby laurag » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:36 pm

moonlight wrote:Weight change - 1 lb
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week

Starting each meal with soup, salad, or fruit has become fairly routine. My meals don't feel complete without the "first course".
Reducing salt has become routine, which took some effort in the beginning and is now routine.
I had no problems with eliminating oils and high fat plant foods and flour products.
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
Lately, eliminating animal foods needs a lot of focus and attention. I succeeded at that this week but it took a lot of focus and discipline.
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support
I really appreciate the support of this group. When I headed down the slippery slope toward the SAD I leaned heavily on comments from people on this forum. I realized how I really had no one to talk to about this in my daily life who really understands the challenges we face. It dawned on me how isolated I am with regard to my approach to eating. Thank you all for being here. :D

I feel much stronger this week, like I've grown in some way. Some new realizations and some finer points to my approach to this WOE. I watched a couple of videos. I really enjoyed the video by Andrew from Spudfit, which was recorded at one of the McDougall weekend retreats. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52853 I'm not advocating for the potato only diet. I just found his talk about the way he decided to change his SAD to a more healthy diet inspiring.

Thank you, Mark, for your patience and dedication to this group!! :D

Hi moonlight Thank u for putting spud fits talk up very cool! I loved feeling how committed he is, inspiring! I'm trying to be like that now just all in, it's easier. I have been watching plentiful kiki on utube I have been meaning to let group know how much I love her I related with her and it's been so helpful :)
laurag

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Chuck - Very interesting! I don't think the fact that your assessment is "subjective" limits the utility of assessing your food choices, as long as it is consistent. It seems to me that the value of this experiment is primarily two-fold - it provides an opportunity or reminder to think closely about one's choices at EACH meal, and a visible way of knowing whether the trend is toward behaviors that are more adherent than in the past.
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:32 pm

Checkout this Success Story - Teresa Rodriguez: Learning to Love Myself Again

The opening passages of Teresa's narrative are heartbreaking -
I love candy, especially Skittles. Sometimes I would even fall asleep with a mouthful of them. In the morning I would look in the mirror and hate the obese person I saw, yet I never connected the two. So, I stopped looking in the mirror, thinking that if I didn’t see the problem it wasn’t really there. This was in 2005. I was 30 years old, stood five-foot-eight, and weighed 245 pounds.

Aside from the Skittles, my diet consisted of processed foods, such as Hamburger Helper, macaroni and cheese, and canned pasta and rice dishes. My exercise program consisted of walking to the kitchen to get food and back to the living room to watch TV. Because I would eat so much, I would often exhaust myself and need to lie down after meals. Eating a lot of food was my way of dealing with how bad my life had become: I had no job, a less-than-perfect past, a seemingly dead-end future, and very low-self esteem. I felt that I was literally eating myself to death.

As bleak as that situation appears, the conclusion to the story is quite inspiring -
I was told I have a permanent disabling mental illness by my doctors and that I would never work. I now know that is not true. My journey to regain my life has provided me with purpose and drive, two things that I have been lacking for many years. My dietary changes have also helped my once ravaged mind gain some peace and clarity, and boosted my self-esteem. The 96 pounds I have lost over the last year—I now weigh 164 pounds—has helped me tremendously too. I have now been accepted to college and plan to study nutrition. I would like to be a registered dietician. Not surprisingly, I want to do research into how a plant-based diet affects mental illness. After wandering through life for so long I have now found a goal. It is an unfamiliar, but an uplifting feeling.

Another thing all this change has helped me do is to redefine success. Success is coming through the battles I thought I had lost and moving on to help others fight the battles they thought they had lost too.

Check out her story in its entirety, as well and Dr. McDougall's comments, including this succinct gem -
The end result is an uphill spiral, rather than the downhill one that everyone else following the Western diet is on.
Mark Cooper

Postby MaryP » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Thank you, Mark for posting Tetssa's story. It is so true that this way of eating helps our mental and emotional health, too. My daughter was very obese, struggling her whole life with weight issues. I guess I taught her well! She also suffered from untreated depression. About 10 years ago she decided to go on a whole food, plant based diet. She lost 100 pounds and her depression. She said she felt better not just physically but emotionally than she had ever felt. Unfortunately, she slipped back into her old habits of junk food and tons of cheese after her mother-in-law, who was living with them, died. Her weight came back, plus more and her depression returned as well.

Two years ago we lost her very suddenly. She was only 39 years old. She was a very special person but her weight coupled with her depression kept her sad. I hope that those on this list who read Teresa's story and read this know that if you suffer from depression, this way of eating can help you. You deserve to be happy and if you stick to the program, you can feel better!
MaryP

Postby chaz01 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:44 am

MaryP wrote:
Two years ago we lost her very suddenly. She was only 39 years old. She was a very special person but her weight coupled with her depression kept her sad. I hope that those on this list who read Teresa's story and read this know that if you suffer from depression, this way of eating can help you. You deserve to be happy and if you stick to the program, you can feel better!

Mary,

I'm so sorry for your loss and my thoughts and prayers reach out to you. My own daughter has some things in common with Teresa and your daughter, and I'll be passing Teresa and your daughter's stories to her in hoping that will help her to make better decisions.
chaz01

Postby Michele613 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:12 pm

Hi Mark and Team Members,
+ 1.6 @ 161.4 DOWN 20 #s since January from starting weight of 181.5

I meant to post 0 for 2/21 but got distracted and in the end didn't bother posting anything. My apologies.

This is my 6th ?? time around on McD way of eating and the 3rd time I believe that I got to a 2-month point. Though I am not perfect on the MWL plan it is still my guide and there are several days where the food is on program but the 10 pt checklist is not followed.

I do not have the mind set to report in the format you have so kindly drawn up. I find that reporting in such a manner would be as stressful as counting calories or weighing my food. I am not up to that.

After my unexpected Nov 20th (while on the plan) heart attack I have overly simplified my life. My focus is blood pressure and what I eat. I am very frustrated with the former because I have doubled my BP medicine to 5 mg Ramipiril 2x/day since December, am in a heart rehab program (a medically staffed gym kind) and have been mostly on McD program for 2+ months. Though I am losing weight I am not (1) feeling healthier or stronger and (2) my blood pressure remains elevated in the 165-185/75-95 range.

After reading soooooooooooo many McDougall articles and blogs about people dropping their meds within short periods and seeing their blood pressure normalize, etc. I was expecting the same for myself. I am beyond myself with concern as to why that is NOT happening for me. I did get my cholesterol down very quickly on 80 mg statins post-hospital so much so that it was reduced at my request to 40 mg since beginning of February.

I intended to ask Jeff about the lack of drop in my blood pressure but find myself spewing here....maybe you have answers, Mark or maybe Jeff will see this somehow as well.

You are doing an amazing job of keeping us informed, inspired and encouraged...thank you.

Wishing everyone a very healthy and successful and positive week!!!!
Michele613

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:22 pm

MaryP - I feel so sorrowful for the loss of your daughter, and grateful to you for sharing that powerful personal story.

Michele613 - I, of course, am not qualified to offer medical advice, but perhaps you may find one or all of the following links of some value:

Dr. McDougall on Hypertension

Related Newsletter Articles, Success Stories and Independent Research

Jeff's Discussion on Reducing Blood Pressure with Diet

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's posts from everyone who chooses to participate in the weigh-in! Along with your weight change in pounds, please assess your week with respect to the MWL 10-Point Checklist, if you please. I'll respond to reports collectively on Friday & Saturday evening and the summary will post Saturday night. I wish you all the very best!
Mark Cooper

Postby Michele613 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:39 pm

Thank you Mark. I started to read some of your suggested articles but I think I need to continue over a period of time as to allow the information to actually penetrate. Sodium, as the head of my cardio rehab program, is the biggest offender and risk in preventing and healing from heart issues. I don't eat processed food and only add salt 'on the finished food' as Dr. McDougall suggests....just a shake or two. I would find it hard to believe that my sodium intake is actually contributing to my high blood pressure but I will try to be more aware of my intake....whatever intake I have now has to be 2000% less than when I wasn't paying attention to what I was eating.

I appreciate your referrals. I have read many of the info provided by Dr. McD but I will continue to investigate more in depth. Big thanks!!!!!
Michele613

Postby Stormy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:41 pm

-2.0 for the week (posting early since I will probably not be able to weigh in/log in tomorrow).

I intend to continue to follow the MWL principles but may not be able to post in March -- I do hope to pop in at some point since I enjoy the weigh-in group and the discussions in general. I'm grateful for this inspiring and free resource!
Stormy

Postby Michele613 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:51 pm

Hi Stormy,

Stay committed and adhere to the MWL guidelines as best you can. We're here for you when you're again able to 'pop in' and give us an update. All the best on your journey to better health and a longer life!
Michele613

Postby BlackBeanSoup » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:37 am

-2.8 lbs for the week

Had a good week following the food points. Also did some light walking for exercise.
BlackBeanSoup

Postby Abe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:49 am

Weight Change: +0.9 lbs.

MWL Points Successful:
  1. Start meals with soup or salad.
    This week I had a lot more soup than salad.
  2. Follow 50/50 plate volume.
  3. Eliminate sugar and salt.
  4. Eliminate animal based foods.
  5. Eliminate higher fat plant foods.
  6. Eliminate oil.
  7. Eliminate higher calorie dense foods.
  8. Do not drink your calories.
  9. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

MWL Points that Need Attention
  10. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
    I was super hungry all week. I often had double platefuls of 50/50 veg/starch. I only ate compliant vegetables and starches, however I ate a lot, and it showed on the scale. I hope that this is just a hiccup, and I will go back to feeling satisfied with one plate of food. Perhaps my intensifying exercise contributed to excess hunger. I also neglected to prep salads this week. I had soup or cooked vegetables instead, but perhaps that contributed. I just got bored with salads, and wanted warm food.
Abe

Postby NomeOslo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:18 am

2/21 - 140.8
2/28 - 139.4
Goal weight: 110 lbs

Weight Change - down 1.4 lbs

It's been a better week overall. My commitment to healthy living is back - I think improved by my internal focus on being healthy (it helps that I'm taking a nursing review course, and being reminded of all the diseases that can be prevented or managed by a healthy WFPB diet). Since I started (simply) rating my days, the average is 9/10 MWL principles followed daily.

The items I count off are minimal & planned (regular Starch Solution items), and I think worth it to maintain my adherance to the rest of the principles.

I want to keep the good health principles front and center, to keep the motivation high. I enjoy having my clothes fit more comfortably, and feeling physically better, but staying healthy (and out of doctors offices) is the benefit I want to remember foremost.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and ideas - they help keep me motivated!
“Those who think they have no time for healthy eating will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” Edward Stanley

NomeOslo

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:57 am

Happy Friday Feb 28, 2020
Can't believe February is almost over. Spring can't be far behind!

02/07/20 weight is 183.4
02/14/20 weight is 183.4
02/21/20 weight is 181.2
2/28/20 weight is 182 so +.8

I spent the week at 182 after last week's 181.2 but it's OK because I know my body takes awhile to drop more ounces. This week I spent more time on MWL #1 checkpoint, starting meals with soup or salad. It helped me feel full longer! So yes, salad greens and oatmeal; or salad greens with a yam covered with veggie chili. Yesterday I made a wonderful red lentil soup with carrots, celery, onions.

I have been doing MWL weigh ins since July; started at 197 and now at 182, so a loss of 15 pounds! wow, never thought that would happen; all credit to the MWL checklist. So I am going to switch over to the MWL maintenance thread starting in March while I keep working to get to 180 and maybe 178-175.

Keep working it people! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program