Mary Mini and Easter

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

HELP DR. MCDOUGAL,MARY OR CAROLVE?

Postby jmgoforth » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:55 am

Huge question- My job requires that I eat out with my officers. I'm a sheriff chaplain. The officers always eat Mexican. My only choice is to eat salad and beans. This is only one lunch a week. This is life and the best I can do. Otherwise I eat potato all three meals.
If that is a problem please let me know and I will drop out. I will continue but just on my own. I don't want to be a stumbling block.
I have a reaL LIFE AND MUST WORK WHAT I EAT IN THIS CRAZY THING CALLED LIFE.PS
I never did the Mary Mini Diet correctly in the past. I thought I just had to eat a starch. Not the same one. As of today I eat potato's three times a day.
I'm doing my best but have this Sunday lunch that I don't know what to do? Can you give me a suggestion.
Chaplain Mike
:oops:
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Monday

Postby Bobbie-Jo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:37 am

I started the Mini on today, Monday.

I steamed 10 lbs of white potatoes in my dutch oven yesterday, so I'm ready!

B - Dry-Fried potatoes, apple

L - Steamed potatoes, with wasabi mustard & salsa for dipping

D - Roasted brussel sprouts & mashed w/S&P

Not only is this a healthy way to eat, but darn cheap too!
Bobbie-Jo

Postby ReneeK » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:53 am

I certainly don't want to see you back out from your own challenge because one meal, once a week is not adhering to the guidelines you set for yourself. A salad and beans is certainly better than the alternative fare I imagine your officers eat every time you get together. You are still making a conscious decision to adhere to your chosen way of eating to the best of your ability; and that is very admiriable.
Alternately, at least through the end of April, I will attend a church dinner every Wednesday evening. No, it's not potluck. No, I do not know in advance what the menu will be for that particular Wednesday evening. That is not going to keep me from going. The one constant at this weekly dinner is the availability of a salad bar. I also know from experience that on that salad bar about the most McD friendly thing is lettuce, tomatoes, and maybe some baby carrots. None of the dressings they offer are McD friendly. Since, I always go directly from the office to the church every Wednesday, I usually arrive at the dinner very hungry. But, I go in with the mindset that I will make the best choices with the options that I'm given. I will certainly fill my plate with salad greens, but I will also choose one or two of the healthiest options I have available to me to satisfy my hunger. Last Wednesday, it was a plate of salad greens with as little fat free italian dressing as possible to make it palatable, a small serving of herbed potatoes (drained and patted from the butter they were cooked in), and a bowl of tuscan tomato soup (containing carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes, and olive oil). I don't know what this Wednesday will bring. I bet it won't adhere to the guidelines for Mary's Mini, but again I'll make the best decisions I can based on the options I have available.
ReneeK

One more thing...

Postby ReneeK » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:06 pm

I guess I'm a little long-winded today....

I was in the office kitchenette cooking my baked potato and steaming my veggies. As I was plating everything up several of my coworkers came by and commented how delicious it smelled and looked. I have to admit, it did look and taste pretty incredible. All those brightly colored veggies on top of a steaming hot potato....YUMMM!!!! When you have something this delicious, who needs that nasty butter, sour cream, and cheese? Blech!
ReneeK

Postby Sunny » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:16 pm

Mike here are the two articles explaining Mary's mini, you can have beans that is not a problem, the basis of the diet is to eat starch all three meals the article has alot of good info. :-D

[url][url]http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/marys2.htm
[/url]
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Creamed Corn Recipe

Postby Bobbie-Jo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:24 pm

Bons52983,

Can I ask you to post your creamed corn recipe? Sounds awesome.

Thanks!

Bobbie-Jo
Bobbie-Jo

Church Fellowship

Postby jmgoforth » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:07 pm

Yes we have a church fellowship every Thursday. But bless their heart they cook me 2 baked potatoes. That is what i eat and if they have safe veggies I eat them. It is not easy with every one eating all kids of sweets and meat but it is do able. PTL Maybe your church would micro 2 potato for you. God Be with You
Chaplain Mike
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Don't Give Up!

Postby Losing Linda » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:09 pm

Eat before you go if you can and then have a salad there. Then talk more because when I do I don't eat as much :D .
Losing Linda
Losing Linda

Creamed corn recipe

Postby Bons52983 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:15 pm

Pkg frozen corn

Put about 3/4 of it in a blender and blend till fairly smooth with just a few chunks left, add the rest of the corn and some water to make it a bit thinner if needed. Put in a container. easy. simple. sugar & salt free

When I was first making it I added cornstarch as a thickener, but have since left it out and it works just fine. Last batch I used the chop button on the blender the corn instead of blend and I didn't like it as much.

I usually just keep a container in the refer and put it on my potato after I nuke it then nuke them both for another 1-2 minutes, add salt & pepper to taste and eat.

I am very tired today so I probably wont get any exercise except for the dog walking.

Hang in there jmgoforth, Just make the best choices you can. Salad and Beans works. Salsa, if you like it, makes a great salad dressing.
Bonnie
Bons52983

Arbby's NO baked potato!

Postby jmgoforth » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:24 pm

Our Arbby's stopped selling baked potato. I couldn't believe it!It was the only restraunt in our little town that sold baked potato's.
jmgoforth

Postby scottp » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Sunny wrote:the basis of the diet is to eat starch all three meals

Remember even the standard McD plan is based around a starch (all 3 meals). What makes the Mini different is that it gets monotonous so one doesn't eat as much.

Based on the articles this is my understanding of the diet. It must be the same starch all three meals for the duration of the "diet". One can pick which starchy food it will be (e.g. potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, corn, beans, rice, etc.). Then add a repetitive selection of green and yellow vegetables and fruits. The same starch and vegetables are eaten everyday.

Chaplain Mike:
You wrote:My only choice is to eat salad and beans. This is only one lunch a week.

From what I can see you have two choices.
1- Pick beans as your starch or
2- Pick something else and make a once a week exception. (I don't believe this will violate the spirit of what you are trying to accomplish.)

God Bless and happy eating,
Scott
scottp

Postby Michele » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi Guys - I am currently on day 10 of Mary's mini (my goal was 10 days) - and I am so glad you have started this.....Previously I was unable to do a straight 4 days of a fruit & vegetable cleanse, but this has been so so so achievable. What has kept me on the straight and narrow (apart from not feeling hungry) is the thought that the 10 days were going to come and go and it was up to me to stick at it and if I was to cheat, I was only cheating on myself...so you know how good I am going to feel tomorrow!! I started at 70.9kg - you can figure out the pounds - and am in a healthy weight range for my height - I just wanted to get back on track and this certainly has done that - people have noticed that I have lost weight....(they are even calling me too skinny.....not true...just right!!).
Good luck with your MMD journey and I know you all can do it!
Imagine how good you will feel at Easter!!
Michele
Michele

I'm in!

Postby havfaith » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:41 am

Starting tomorrow morning. Hit the store on the way home tonight and bought a bag of potatoes (10# for $1.39!!) and lots of veggies for salads and such and a package of hashbrowns with peppers and onions already in (much, much easier!). They had the BEST jicama today! And I think I convinced the checker to try it too. :-D Steamed several potatoes this evening and made a nice salad for lunch tomorrow to go along with my potato. Will check in tomorrow. Thanks for the challenge! :D
havfaith

Really Busy Day

Postby jmgoforth » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:49 am

Will do my best to write this evening. I have to be court for an inmate. :oops: In fact I'm in court 2 times this week. Not Fun!I'm also the Sr Jail Chaplain. So you can see I keep busy.I have 6 Law Enforcement chaplains under me. Plus I pastor.
Have a safe day. Yellow Light does not mean gun it and hope you make it through the intersection! Don't make a chaplain come out on a cold day like this, while your dead body lies on the cold blacktop.
Drive Carefully-you know the other person isn't!Chaplain Mike
I lost a pound.
Breakfast-
I had hash browns for breakfast.
I'm taking an orange for midmorning snack as I will be on the road.
Lunch-baked potato and corn for lunch.
jmgoforth

Postby Bons52983 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:05 am

B-potato+creamed corn (homemade)
S-grapefruit
L-veggie stew + coleslaw
D- veggie stew + zucchini
S-cucumbers

exercise
dog walks 30-45 minutes
water exercise 30min

Feeling a bit less tired today, I slept the most of the day yesterday. I didn't get any exercise but the good news is my weight remained the same.

Bobbie-Jo re the creamed corn recipe I forgot to say you need to add some water to the corn before and during blending too. sorry.
Bonnie
Bons52983

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program