The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - May 2024 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - May 2024 Group

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat May 25, 2024 9:33 am

Hi Team Time & Adherence!! :)

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Mostly no.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes – reduced not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages.
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Mostly. I try to be mindful to stop eating when satiated --- but I did catch myself continuing to eat a couple of times this week. I think sometimes it is just that I keep scarfing through everything on my plate. Maybe I need to plate a bit less.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. 2X strength training, 4X pickleball, lots of walk / jogging. Played a tournament last weekend where they had fruit --- bananas, apples, and tangerines --- score!!! This was the first time I have seen healthy food offered at a pb event. Left positive feedback to the organizers and hoping they will do the same in future years!

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Thanks to everyone for being here and making this a community --- especially to Mark for support and guidance. I so appreciate the camaraderie and learning in this space!

Hope you all have a relaxing and fun weekend! I am planning to plant some annuals and play a lot of pickleball (even have an alternate indoor location in case of rain).

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Gimmelean » Sat May 25, 2024 12:43 pm

MWL Post for week ending 5/24/24

Hello everyone.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs,)
Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy).
No- some avocado and nuts but no insurmountable cravings. It’s good that voice in my head telling me no didn’t disappear. Will work on a yes for the week to come.

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
Yes - not even tempted by bread and chips this week. I think it was gradual. . .finally!

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily.
Yes.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Like Stephanie, my workplace had an event this week where they served whole fruit; Fuji apples, mandarin oranges, and bananas along with the soft pretzels, muffins and cupcakes. Guess what was left over and I got to take home. The fruit! I am looking forward to following the 10 point check list in the summer heat. I feel lighter, focused, more energetic when I eat and move more. This time of year is always easier to manage adherence to MWL and as good as it is, the challenge for me will be not to indulge in too much fruit!Have a wonderful week everyone.
Gimmelean

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 25, 2024 1:07 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for May 24, 2024

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 25, 2024 1:10 pm

BambiS - Nice results! I would agree that you have been doing great! You have been SO consistent, too. Keep it up!

carolw - I'm glad you are feeling good about how things are going, Carol!
carolw wrote:One day this week I realized I was hungry at a time that was not mealtime, so I sat and had a meal.
That's excellent! I really identify with your observation about specific behaviors being a key component of one's progress. "NEWS" made me smile; I am a sucker for a catchy acronym. Let us know how your experiment goes and have a great week!

Rebecka22 - An awesome week sticking to the basics! I'm so delighted to know that you were able to navigate that stressful work event in a way that felt successful for you. Best wishes for safe and enjoyable travels; all any of us can do is our best, right? Cheers!

VegSeekingFit - Planting, pickleball, and continuing practice makes for a pretty fantastic looking week, Stephanie, and it seems like a fun time, too!
VegSeekingFit wrote:I think sometimes it is just that I keep scarfing through everything on my plate. Maybe I need to plate a bit less.
What you describe here is something I've experienced, as well; I tried two different experiments to address this and both worked to some degree. As you suggested, I started dishing a slightly smaller portion for a meal. I also brought a small sealable container to the table, so I had an easy way to save any "leftovers" past the point of fullness, instead of "cleaning my plate." Have fun this weekend!

Gimmelean - Fantastic progress! Being free from insurmountable cravings is always a pleasant development, right? You really scored with that bounty of leftover fruit; I love it when that happens - it makes my week! :D We are heading in to my favorite time of year, between the sunshine, fresh fruit, and fun outdoor activities, I couldn't ask for more. Onward!
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 25, 2024 1:14 pm

Wow! This month really zipped along! Next week will be our final check-in for May, then on to JUNE! Congrats to everyone for your amazing work this month. :thumbsup:

Since BYOB&B came up in discussion, here is a post from Jeff discussing it.
JeffN wrote:In regard to cholesterol, I teach an acronym, BYOB & B :) which stands for Beans, Yams, Oats, Barley and Berries. These foods are some of the highest in soluble fiber which can help lower cholesterol. So, someone trying to lower their cholesterol numbers might want to make these a main part of their diet. So, beans at every meal, Yams or sweet potatoes instead of white, red, etc potatoes, and berries are the best choice for fruit. I would add in the BYOBB, double check every label to make sure no oil or sat fat is slipping in, wait 2-3 months and retests after fasting.

For the record, everything you hear about oats is true but barley is actually more beneficial then oats (though oats are still good). It makes a great breakfast and barley groats can replace rice, etc. Look for hulled barley.

Best wishes for a fabulous week! Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby BethE » Wed May 29, 2024 9:30 am

Hi, I'm Beth in the UK. I have just found this and it's just what I'm looking for.
I have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group for June :D
BethE

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed May 29, 2024 2:01 pm

BethE wrote:Hi, I'm Beth in the UK. I have just found this and it's just what I'm looking for.
I have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group for June :D

Great! Welcome to the group!
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Fri May 31, 2024 8:15 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful
Another good week. It’s been cooler out, so walking has been fantastic.
Fresh corn and peaches are becoming available, yum.
BambiS

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri May 31, 2024 8:32 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence!! :)

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Mostly no.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes – reduced not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages.
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes, I think so. I tried a new strategy for lunch which is (primarily) the meal where I occasionally overshoot the mark here. Also, I stopped eating one time with half of a potato left and put that in a baggie for a snack later.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. 3X strength training, 6X pickleball, lots of walk / jogging. The beautiful weather makes me want to be outside and moving!

Celebrated my birthday with activity --- I lifted weights, did some sprint intervals, and played pickleball! Feels amazing to be in better shape than last year (and incredibly better shape than 3 years ago)!!! I enjoyed a compliant dinner with my family --- as usual going for soup, salad, fruit, potato!

Thanks, Mark for sharing your experience (and experiments) on #9. I like your idea of having a container right there and available to place any remaining food once satiated. I think this would help with being mindful. I put a little twist on your idea this week and am putting a bit of my meal in a container right at the start (instead of on my plate) and then I can always go back and eat it – if I am not already satiated.

Hey, Gimmelean --- hope that you had a fantastic birthday!!!

Wishing you all a wonderful and healthy week! Can’t believe we are moving right on to JUNE!!! Hello Summer!!!!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Rebecka22 » Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:03 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. NO
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

I had three days this week where I ate off plan. Two of the days were just one meal each, one at a restaurant and one at the top of a hike. The third day was an all day excess, but I am back on track. One thing I noticed was not only does eating foods I don’t normally eat give me a stomachache, it also messes up my mouth. So happy to be back eating clean.
Rebecka22

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:00 pm

MWL Post for week ending 5/31/24
Hello MWL team

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs,)
Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy).
Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
Yes

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily.
Yes.

All yeses this week because I came down with same flu? virus? cold? everyone in the household has and have had no appetite whatsoever. I made homemade soups in the instant pot because I have vowed not to buy commercial soups any more and they are easy to throw together. Fortunately I don’t get sick very frequently and looking forward to feeling better soon. Eating well and exercising always helps. Reading everyone’s posts here help boost morale too. Have a good week everyone.
Gimmelean

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:36 pm

Happy Saturday! Glad to be back. I wasn't feeling well last week and wasn't able to post.

*Guidelines:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Compliant

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Compliant

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Compliant

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Compliant

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Not Compliant

- Non-compliance/reason: I had soy milk.

- Decision to Adhere: When ordering drinks, I get caught in the options of "alternatives" available. I feel like the only option is to embrace the unknown and be content with a new choice I make. This is sooooo hard for me!

6. Eliminate any added oil. Compliant

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Compliant

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Not Compliant

- Non-compliance/reason: I had soy milk, which I know is sweetened for drinks.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. Compliant

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Not Compliant

- Non-compliance/reason: I walked once this week. I'm struggling with right knee pain. I'm not sure why my knee is hurting.

- Decision to Adhere: My knee pain is very discouraging! It is hard to walk long distances. I could have focused on upper body exercises...but I didn't. It didn't really cross my mind until the end of the week. I need to change my perspective and consider what I can do...and not over-focus on my limitations.

*Weight Change: 1.4lb gain*

*SUMMARY/THOUGHTS*
Overall, I feel good about my week. The one thing that stands out is this: I realized I was snacking on compliant foods while stressed out. This is tricky because the issue isn't what I was eating; the issue is that I was eating, at a time when I felt anxious. This is definitely behavior I want to flag AND avoid! I am an emotional eater. And even though I'm having victories in some areas, emotional eating is still something I struggle with. The 3 separate worlds my 3 kids live in is all-consuming! There are big decisions to be made about big things. I hope to slow down this weekend to really consider what is concerning me most AND consider healthy ways to cope/deal with what I'm going through. I honestly think getting back to daily exercise will help relieve stress. It always does!

Thank you, Mark, and everyone else for your support!
CUgorji22

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:01 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for May 31, 2024

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:31 pm

BambiS - Awesome work! I'm glad to know your nice weather has made for enjoyable walking. :D We enjoyed some fresh sweet corn this week; yum, indeed! Keep it up!

VegSeekingFit - Happy Birthday, Stephanie! Exciting exercise activities seem like a fabulous way to mark the occasion. Congratulations for all you have achieved through your thoughtful and diligent efforts. "Preloading" that storage container is a GREAT idea! Hello summer, hello June; I hope both are spectacular for you!

Rebecka22 - Nice work getting back on track! I think being able to return to your desired pattern of behavior quite quickly in the wake of some "excesses" is very positive. Isn't it weird all the ways our bodies have of reacting to (and being "messed up" by) those rich foods? It's like they are trying to tell us something! ;-) Onward!

Gimmelean - So sorry you've been feeling poorly this week! That can't be very fun, especially with the whole household being ill. Some easy, simple homemade soup seems like just the right thing for that situation. Wishing you a quick and smooth return to full health. Take care!

CUgorji22 - I'm so glad to know you feel good about this week, overall, Chesca! Sorry you were feeling unwell last week and that you've been experiencing knee pain; I know from personal experience how unpleasant and discouraging that can be. In the past, on occasions when pain has left me unable to do much walking or upright exercising, I have substituted seated workouts. Caroline Jordan on YouTube has some that I've really enjoyed.
CUgorji22 wrote:I hope to slow down this weekend to really consider what is concerning me most AND consider healthy ways to cope/deal with what I'm going through.
Sometimes our life responsibilities can feel really overwhelming, worrisome, or intimidating, right? I think if we can pause briefly during times like this to, as you said, consider and think through our concerns and challenges, it nearly always helps us face them more effectively and from a more empowered position. Wishing you pain-free days ahead, comfort, calm, and poise in the face of anxiety!
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:35 pm

That will do it for May, folks! My congratulations, gratitude, and admiration to everyone who participated and made this such an inspiring and successful month.

I will post a new thread for June 2024 tomorrow, and I hope to see all of you there!

May the week to come bring joy, renewal, and inspiration (and more lovely weather, too :lol: ).

Take care & be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program