January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

Postby ElizabethAdams » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:38 pm

Re: Nixtamal

Hello, Jeff...

As to "minimally processed starches," may I get your take on nixtamal,
the field corn that's been soaked overnight in lime (calcium hydroxide),
cooked the next morning, rinsed, ground on a granite metate and made
into tortillas for the past 10,000 years in certain parts of Mexico where
the pork that the Spaniards brought with them never penetrated?

I don't have a granite metate, but I do have a Breville food processor and
a connection to a chef who's doing what I want to do, which is make my own
tortillas from scratch. He tells me that the nixtamal (ground corn) made in a
food processor is too "wet" for making into tortillas, but that this can be
corrected by the addition of a small amount of masa harina (commercially
ground corn that's been soaked in lime).

This seems like the perfect solution to me, and I confess I'm looking forward
to trying his recipes for plant-based fillings because they've earned a reputation
for being full of flavor.

I've been following Dr. McDougall's program since I was first introduced to him
through the "Forks Over Knives" documentary over two years ago on my birthday,
September 25th, 2017, and I'm getting close to my goal. I've not had any wheat-flour
products like breads or muffins (#7 on your list), but I've started to experiment with
tortillas I make at home from masa harina I buy at the store, stir in some warm water,
shape into balls, press into tortillas, cook on a hot griddle and fill with freshly prepared
beans and vegetables. I really enjoy "tacos" made this way and, since they don't seem to
trigger overeating like baked goods made with wheat flour, I'd like your opinion as to
whether or to what extent corn tortillas made from scratch like I've described
will interfere with progress on this, the last leg of my weight-loss journey.

The way I have it figured, I cook up a big pot of beans every 3rd day, anyway,
so it wouldn't be a big deal to also cook up a big pot of field corn and just scoop
out what we need for each meal, whiz it up into nixtamal in the Breville, shape it
into balls, press the balls into tortillas, cook the tortillas to perfection on my griddle,
and top with various veggies...

...including my to-die-for salsa!

:)

Mexico is experiencing the same obesity epidemic that we here in the United States
are experiencing. The Spaniards who brought pork--and port fat--to the western
and northern parts of Mexico have a lot to answer for.

And yet...

...well, there are still parts of Mexico where people prepare their food in the traditional way
I summarized above, and those people are as healthy and hardworking into old age as the
older generations of Japanese that Dr. McDougall found in Hawaii.

Plus...

...it turns out that I really prefer the taste of the beans/corn combination to that of beans/rice...

...and a freshly made corn tortilla piled high with beans and veggies and salsa and cilantro...

...is downright orgasmic!

One of the things I really appreciate about Dr. McDougall's program is how exquisitely delicious
all the food is. I never expected to actually enjoy the journey back to my ideal weight, but
that's what's happened. I think his wife Mary deserves the Nobel Prize for introducing
such good eating to so many people who are so starved for nutritious food.

To sum up...

1) Should I hold off on homemade nixtamal for now, or

2) Can I begin using it with my beans in lieu of rice?

warmest regards...

Elizabeth

ElizabethAdams

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 am

Hi group! I've been doing a bit of a dive into the free resources here on the McDougall website this week - have you checked out the many success stories? One that particularly spoke to me was shared by Cloudy Rockwell -

ImageImage

I was especially struck by this section of her narrative -

Since my husband didn’t join me, I could not clear my house of all foods that I wouldn’t be eating, and I had to develop an attitude that would keep me from eating foods not on plan. There were two habits that I found valuable. The first was to always be prepared. Every weekend, I would make a general food plan that I shopped and cooked for, making enough food for the week’s lunches and dinners. I did this to keep myself from “poor me syndrome”—the condition of feeling that I am hungry and it will be so long until I can get to food, I had better eat whatever is at hand. I instead developed “enough syndrome”—I have had enough and there is food already prepared for me at home. I also tried to have an emergency set of food at work in case I found we wouldn’t be going home at the regular time—microwaveable brown rice bowls and canned tomatoes & green beans are a life saver! Second, I developed an attitude towards non-plan food that told me that it is “not food.” The chocolates in the jar in the office, the cheese in the drawer at home, the fried calamari on the table at the restaurant, were no longer food to me—no more than the table linens or the candles were food. I knew what I was going to eat, and it would be available soon, and I was not about to start gnawing on “not-food” while I waited. These two habits helped me a lot in getting with the program and finding a way to make it work for life, not just for a temporary weight loss.

Cloudy also participated here on the forums - including posting a journal as she navigated this way of eating. Worth checking out her story if you're in need of some mid-week inspiration!
Mark Cooper

Postby knt » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:27 am

Thanks for sharing that Mark. Really inspiring!

I will be travelling for next three days without internet access so thought I would post my weekly numbers a day early this time.

Starting: 257 lbs
1/3: 257 lbs (change: 0)
1/9: 255.5 lbs (change: -1.5)
knt

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 am

No problem, knt. Wishing you enjoyable travels!
Mark Cooper

Postby Michele613 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:52 am

Hi Mark,

Down - 4.2

I am submitting weight now because it is Thursday night in Israel and I am unable to submit tomorrow.

Everyone should have a good and healthy week ahead. Success to all...mentally and physically.
Michele613

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:20 am

Kudos, Michele! Thanks for reporting & a health-supporting week to you, as well.
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:33 pm

A couple of requests for tomorrow -

When posting your report for weigh-in, please post your weight change in lbs, e.g. -

I'm down .5 lbs OR -0.5 lbs OR +1 lb

That will greatly help me to compile the tally report for the week.

Also, if you are comfortable / willing, consider including in your weigh-in post what went well for you, or what you are struggling with, or other things you noticed or realized during the past week.

Thanks so much; I won't finalize the week's tally until noon Pacific Time on Saturday, to allow plenty of time for participants to post their Friday report.
Mark Cooper

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:03 pm

Hi to the Group (and a BIG thank you)!!

You have inspired me with all of the information / participation / community!!

I am pulling my head out of the sand and committing to track compliance to the 10 pt. MWL checklist for 2020.

I followed the MWL principles in 2018 and achieved my goal weight. Life "got in the way" and I am now up 30ish pounds. :oops: Have been a bit embarrassed about posting since I fell off-track. My biggest issue was with allowing higher calorie density foods - including flour products and high-fat vegan options into regular diet. Also, I went from packing my own lunch everyday for work to going out or frequenting the cafeteria.

I did weigh in last Friday - even though I didn't post / join Group until today - hope this is ok? Starting weight is 146.4.

Officially started tracking compliance on Monday. Spent some time cleaning out pantry / fridge / freezer - to the extent I could in a household where we won't all eat this way. Also, started getting into the groove with preparing unprocessed meals / snacks.

I wish everyone the best on their journey. :)

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby WholePlanetBased » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:42 pm

I weighed myself a day early. Down another 3 lbs...yay, nice surprise. I've been feeling under the weather past couple weeks, so just been resting at home mostly. Eating regular meals. Trying not to skip breakfast. Not much snacking, but if I do, Im trying to eat something healthy from this plan, like sweet potatoes, rice, beans, corn. I like to cook a bunch of sweet potatoes and red potatoes in the crock pot for the week and then store them in a large tuperware in the fridge. (Just rinse them off, put in a crock pot on low for a few hours and they are cooked to perfection.) Trying to remember to eat my greens and veggies. I forget to eat much fruit. I tend to like juice but I did eat an apple and some blackberries. I watched a video that said the Essylstenes eat their oatmeal raw. Tried it but it triggered a bout of IBS so I think I will stick to cooked oats, although raw oats have higher antioxidants. Trying to resist chocolate candies but have been satisfying my craving for chocolate with a cup of hot cocoa per day. Half cup boiling water, half cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 TBLS cocoa powder, dash of tumeric and dash of cinnamon. I did find a stray M&M in a pocket when sorting the laundry and ate it but figure it was just one M&M. I think it's been in my pocket for a couple weeks from work from before I started this challenge. Ok, so I ate 1 M&M, now the temptation is gone. Still lost 3 lbs since last weigh in! Havent been this weight in over 20 years! Stocked up on McDougalls soups from WF market. I got the lower sodium no chicken noodle, the lower sodium split pea and the lower sodium vegetable. Im making myself hungry just talking about it. I think I will have a bowl of the split pea before work!
WholePlanetBased

Postby Abe » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:26 am

Down -3.1 lbs

Great week. Started having vegetables for breakfast instead of fruit. Thanks for the tip Mark Cooper. I thought that I would not like it, but I found your SNAP "recipe" delicious. I have been trying out California Balsamic vinegar products, in addition to the juice from half of a lime on top.

Breakfast
  • 10 oz bag of frozen green beans or peas and carrots
  • 1/2 bag of frozen kale or spinach (4oz)
  • 1/2 can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. ground garlic
  • 1 T. balsamic vinegar https://californiabalsamic.com
  • juice from half of a lime
Then afterwards I will eat either a potato or bowl of oat groats. It is so filling, sometimes I do not even have a snack before lunch, which is unheard of for me.

Also started exercising a bit this week. Alternating days between 7 minute calisthenics, and Peloton bike. I hate exercising.
Abe

Postby BlackBeanSoup » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:00 am

1/3/2020 - 160.6 pounds
1/10/2020 - 156.6 (-4.0)
BlackBeanSoup

Postby MonicaHolly » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:50 am

Starting 1/3/2020
Weight: 163.6
Height: 5’4”
1/10/2020 158

Weight loss -5.6. Yeah!

Since 1/1 down 7.6 and doing well. Feel good. Clothes aren’t as tight as they were becoming. Have a good week, everyone.

Monica

Just read the 1/3 summary. I was down 2, not 0. I do not have PM privileges
Last edited by MonicaHolly on Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MWL starting weight 166.6 Jan 1, 2020. Goal 130
MonicaHolly

Postby Jocewally » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:57 am

Friday weigh in

Last week 181.0
This week 176.8
Down 4.2 pounds

Starting weight 260 lbs 9/2014
Goal weight 120-130 lbs by the end of 2020
Jocewally

Postby Aprincess » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:29 am

Hello All,

I seriously thought I was “broken”. It seemed nothing worked. I’ve been WFPB for a year and a half and have watched my husband shrink while my weight loss was minimal. We always “think” we are eating right but now in hindsight I can see where every time I got some weight loss going I would self sabotage and start dipping into my daughter’s cookies, or sneaking a bag of potato chips, grabbing a vegan oily meal while out. One cheat would lead to “well, I don’t do this often”, then “often” became relative to what? Who knows. But, now here I am down 4.3 lbs. for the week and I’m actually scared. I’ve been fully compliant since Jan 1st. I don’t feel deprived. It didn’t even seem hard. All I have to do is follow Jeff’s instructions and it just works. I guess I’m not broken after all. :)

Jan. 1 - 210
Jan. 3 - 209
Jan. 10 - 204.7
Down 4.3 lbs this week

Have a great week of healthy food and a healthy mindset! :) :-) :-D :D
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby NomeOslo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:38 am

Mark, thank you for posting the success story. Both it, and everyones stories here are so encouraging.

This was a good week for me. I made a point of preparing for every days meal, and taking a bag of prepared finger foods (including a microwave baked potato) whenever I had to go out, so I wouldn't be tempted to eat street food. I went from having shortness of breath when climbing the stairs or walking fast, to normal breathing. And generally I feel so much better; my joints are especially thankful!

Starting weight 1/1/2020: 148 lbs
Weight today 1/10/2020: 145.2 lbs
Goal weight: 110 lbs
Down -2.8 lbs

Good luck everyone! :-D
“Those who think they have no time for healthy eating will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” Edward Stanley

NomeOslo

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program