January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby lbell » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:44 am

Friday weigh in:

Last week (1/3) 118.0
This week: (1/10) 116.5
Down 1.5 lbs

Hardest thing this week was just wanting to eat too much. I found myself overstuffed a few times.

Female age 63
Height 5’3”
Starting weight 118.0
Goal—long term compliance and freedom from sweets
lbell

Postby fiddler » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:51 am

Good morning! Please let me know if I am posting in the wrong place!

So, Fri Jan 10, DOWN .4 lbs

Well, not dramatic, but the right direction. I am off to see of the rest of y'all have done.

fiddler
fiddler

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:01 am

Down 3.8.

146.4 to 142.6. :)

9/10 compliance from Mon- Thurs. Have to add in exercise.

Hope everyone has a great week!
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:02 am

01/02/2020: 207.9
01/10/2020: 204.3
Loss this week: -3.6 lbs

Wow! It's so great to see how well everyone is doing this week! What this shows me is that when we work the plan, the plan works! Thanks for sharing the Success story, Mark! Very inspiring.

5 things that worked for me this week:

#1 I cleaned out my pantry and fridge. I didn't think there was too much non-compliant food in the house, but I had two huge grocery bags full. My husband took a lot of stuff to work. I am very fortunate to have a spouse who is willing to keep my environment clean. I was keeping things like peanut butter, cliff bars, nuts, tortilla chips, and chocolate around "for him" but really I wanted it around too. So this has been huge!

#2 I am following the MWL guidelines to the letter, but I haven't gone as far as to try to implement the 10 steps yet. I feel those are just too much now. I can add those things when I feel like my weight loss is stalling or I need to tighten things up a bit. For now, MWL feels good and not overly restrictive and a great place to start.

#3 I am only eating what I make. No eating out. I am making DELICIOUS food and really enjoying it! I do not feel deprived AT ALL! This is a huge thing for me. I like simple food, but I also love to cook, and I have to love my food if this is going to work for me. Some of my favorites from this week were: Cabbage Noodle Soup from fat free vegan; Corn and Bean Enchilada Chili from High Carb Hannah; and The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf from Simple Veganista with garlic mashed potatoes from the McDougall website.

#4 I have started each day with Oatmeal and Berries (I buy frozen berries from Costco), and I wake up each morning really looking forward to my breakfast. I tried the veggies for breakfast thing, but my oatmeal makes me really happy and after hearing Esselstyn talk about how important oatmeal is, I feel like it's a great way to start my day!

#5 I stopped drinking red wine. I realized that what had started as an occasional glass of wine was quickly turning into a couple of glasses several nights a week. I decided to give up drinking any alcohol for 2020. I don't even miss it.

2020 is in full swing! This is the year. We can do it! Week one, down, only 51 more to go! :nod: Here's to a great week 2 everyone!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby fiddler » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:05 am

OK, so the first rule using the forums is going to be: read first, THEN post...hehehe
Thanks , Mark, for the story you posted on Cloudy, my fav quote is : "I knew what I was going to eat, and it would be available soon". I have noticed that with this WOE, when I am hungry, I am HUNGRY, and this is an unaccustomed feeling, and kind of scary. "I know what I will eat, and it will be available soon." Like many of you, I run the gauntlet of fast food restaurants between work and home, and I am so...hungry....

What worked for me was

1. experimenting with a new salad dressing. I am still hunting for a good fat free Asian dressing,or better yet, a recipe, so please let me know...

2.Using lots of "cheez" sauce, that is, potato, carrot, lemon , nutritional yeast, seasonings, blended smooth. Game changer, indeed.

3.Finding I could cook hash browns in my standard issue, Black and Decker waffle iron.

Problems:
I have a leeetle sugar addiction, and I can't quit that half teaspoon sugar in my coffee and I am crazy for something sweet late afternoon, (yeah, I'm hungry...)

Oh yeah, coffee. I have only half-caf or decaf, and then, what to put into it to make it white? Trying to walk away from the whole thing.

Onward and upward,

fiddler
Last edited by fiddler on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
fiddler

Postby debsal » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:11 am

Down 1lb. 143
debsal

Postby rukaspooka » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:20 am

Second weigh in for Friday

Starting weight : 169
Weight as of 1/10/2020 : 166.8
Goal weight : 140
Height: 5 foot 5
Pounds Lost: 2.2

I have not been super strict on diet and still lost weight! This week going to try to buckle down more and see if my results are even better.

Rukaspooka
rukaspooka

Postby moonlight » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:26 am

I'm down 3 lbs. this week. :D Woot! :D Woot!

The things that I changed were to have a balanced diet of MWL compliant food ready to eat, salads, soups, and 50/50 veggies/starch entrees ready to go. I was more intentional about organizing and planning my food. I picked up my exercise a bit, too.
Mark, thank you for posting links to Dr. Lisle's lectures and Cloudy Rockwell's story. The comment from Cloudy about how she thinks about non-compliant food as non-food made an impression. I'm focusing on doing the same since I am the only one in my house who doesn't eat a full SAD diet all the time. I will feel such an accomplishment when I can totally stop getting a little snack from my husband's stash of SAD food. :)

Thanks everyone for being here and sharing your experiences with this WOE. The energy in the group is inspiring! I wish everyone a successful week. :)
moonlight

Postby Wild4Stars » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 am

I think my post disappeared??

Don't know what I did wrong. Had a big long post and now I can't find it???
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby stillcrazy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:38 am

Weight lost -2.7.

I had a good week and I think what made it good was really keeping in mind that I need to do this 100%, no deviations. And I made another huge batch of every vegetable known in the free world soup. I love it! It is my go-to snack, any meal, before or after, or whenever I have the nagging thoughts about needing something to eat when I am not hungry.

I too enjoyed Cloudy Rockwell's story, I have read it before and also have read much of her food journal she has posted. it is so helpful to be reminded that not everyone switched to McDougall's diet and went joyously into health and happiness land but rather had to develop habits and discipline and tough it through at times. Thanks Mark. Vee
stillcrazy

Postby Aprincess » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 am

Wild4Stars wrote:I think my post disappeared??

You may have done what I do sometimes. I preview and then forget to hit “submit”. Sometimes I can keep hitting the back button and find it so I can submit it. Good luck!
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby Wild4Stars » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:43 am

Aprincess wrote:
Wild4Stars wrote:I think my post disappeared??

You may have done what I do sometimes. I preview and then forget to hit “submit”. Sometimes I can keep hitting the back button and find it so I can submit it. Good luck!

THANK YOU !! I found it!
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby Wild4Stars » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:44 am

Down 1 pound even.

Start = 120.4
1/10 = 119.4

Why is it that the minute I commit to MWL I start craving bread and pretzels? Not something I eat every day. I have never been a big bread eater, the occasional sandwich just because they travel easy. But all week I wanted bread. Purely psychological. Sometimes we are our own worse enemy. I did succumb to 6 pretzel nuggets before bed last night.

I'd really like to up this loss to 2 pounds a week, patience is not one of my virtues.

Steps are going well. I have committed to 1 million steps in the first quarter, Jan 1 - Mar 31. I need to average 11,000 per day, so far so good.
JAN 1 WE ~ 14,390
JAN 2 TH ~ 13,927
JAN 3 FR ~ 7,187
JAN 4 SA ~ 23,474
JAN 5 SU ~ 13,902
JAN 6 MO ~ 15,191
JAN 7 TU ~ 14,174
JAN 8 WE ~ 15,904
JAN 9 TH ~ 14,183

Total Steps = 132,332
Daily Average = 14,703
51.8 Miles
Trying to keep the average up because I know I'll have days when I'll be with clients, in the car most of the day, or in meetings, etc.
I would rather be ahead of the game than trying to play catch-up.
Wild4Stars

Postby jlowe » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:46 am

Jan 10 -2.8
jlowe

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:50 am

Dec 27 - 148.0 (weight from last weigh in from December MWL thread)
Jan 3 - 146.4 ( down 1.6 lbs)
Jan 10 - 147.0 (up 0.6 lbs)
AnnetteW

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program