January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby pbnew » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:44 pm

Jan. 10. Down 2 lb.

Questions: how do I respond to a specific post and how do I post items within my post such as an article or recipe? Thank you.
pbnew

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:51 pm

pbnew wrote:Jan. 10. Down 2 lb.

Questions: how do I respond to a specific post and how do I post items within my post such as an article or recipe? Thank you.

Using the “quote” button at the top of the post to which you want to respond is probably the easiest method. For links, once you have started a post, there is a “URL” button in the top menu for the post which will give you a tag that looks like [u r l][l/u r l], if you place the url address you want to share in between those brackets it creates a link. Like this

http://www.drmcdougall.com
Mark Cooper

Postby Larrke » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:53 pm

larrke - 2nd Weigh-in, January 10, 2020

Weight Last Week: 233.4
Weight This Week: 233.4

No Change :( = 0 loss/gain

I'm hoping for better results next week, good job to all that lost!
Larrke

Postby rlechols » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi everyone,

Last week I was at 171.5
This week I'm at 169.5
For a loss of 2.0 lbs

Goal weight is 150 which will put me at the top of the BMI for healthy weight for my height. I'm 5 foot 5 inches. I have my doubts if I can maintain even that weight at all, much less easily. I've gotten down to that before and felt very deprived and couldn't hold it for even a month, but that was before being plant based.

I'm female, age 47, and have been on a plateau for 4 months, so this 2 lb loss is a huge win!!

I've been exercising 5 days a week. The only thing diet wise I could improve is the fruit limit of 2 per day. I try to eat berries every day, and a few days I had 2 other fruits on top of the berries. Otherwise I've been compliant. It is a bit challenging, because I really love whole grain muffins and pancakes, and wish I could eat more fruit and some nuts, but I haven't been hungry. Maybe just getting a little bored with the same veggies all the time.
rlechols

Postby symbas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:03 pm

Hello,
My scale must be broken.
I weighed 178 last week, last Friday, today I am 160.
I definitely have not lost 18 lbs.
Buying a new scale, ready for next week's weigh in.
So, I'm not sure if I should withdraw from the challenge, or list 0 gain/loss this week and press on.

My challenge has been caffeine withdrawal(It's all good now), and no cream/maple syrup in my coffee substitute.
The body feels more limber and joint pain has decreased markedly in the past week.
symbas

Postby VGuzman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:07 pm

My first full week on the MWL program and I lost 1 pound.

Starting weight 125.2 lb.
today's weight 124.2 lb.

Eliminating added oil has been easy for me, but eliminating added salt has been more difficult. I am just starting to get used to cooking and eating without adding salt. It does seem to make a difference in my tendency to over eat and in swelling. I feel great.
VGuzman

Postby BeTrue01 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:16 pm

I can't seem to find my old post last Friday so I think last
Friday 01/03 my checked-in weight = 156lbs
Friday 01/10 weight check-in =155lb
Lost -1lb

Encouraging to read the posts from all of you. Thank you.
BeTrue01

Postby MaryP » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:18 pm

This week's loss: -1 pound
Starting weight 221
Today's weight: 218
Total loss: -3 pounds

Feeling good physically. This week followed the program 100%. Exercised 1 hour per day except for Wednesday. Happy to be here.
MaryP

Postby Jocewally » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:08 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Cheers, everyone! I will again (for the time being, anyway :) ) refrain from individual responses, other than in reply to specific questions or issues - just to keep the thread relatively tidy. Depending on how many reports we have by this evening, I will try to reach out to all of you in one combined post.

The day is off to an exciting start!
Reading through this mornings reports, I see a couple of major commonalities -

1) The MWL plan and 10-Point Checklist are quite effective, when we follow the principles.
2) Preparation and planning seem to be key to success, especially for those still battling cravings and temptations.

A couple of points in regard to calorie density -

Dry rolled oats are significantly more calorie dense and provide less satiety than oatmeal (which absorbs quite a bit of water if cooked in a 1:3 ratio). Dry oats are ~1700 calories/lb vs. oatmeal at about 300 calories/lb. Likewise, corn tortillas clock in at ~1000 calories/lb vs hominy at 327 calories/lb or yellow sweet corn at 368 calories/lb.

Oatmeal cooked in water and consumed 50/50 with fruit is a great breakfast for those who like to start the day with a sweeter dish. If you prefer savory, the SNAP meal is one excellent option. "Vegetables for breakfast" are fine, but be sure to include starch with the meal, as well.

Congratulations to everyone for your continuing mutual support, and for forging ahead!

To clarify...when you say "oatmeal" are you referring to steel cut oats or oat groats?
Jocewally

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:29 pm

Jocewally wrote:
Mark Cooper wrote:Cheers, everyone! I will again (for the time being, anyway :) ) refrain from individual responses, other than in reply to specific questions or issues - just to keep the thread relatively tidy. Depending on how many reports we have by this evening, I will try to reach out to all of you in one combined post.

The day is off to an exciting start!
Reading through this mornings reports, I see a couple of major commonalities -

1) The MWL plan and 10-Point Checklist are quite effective, when we follow the principles.
2) Preparation and planning seem to be key to success, especially for those still battling cravings and temptations.

A couple of points in regard to calorie density -

Dry rolled oats are significantly more calorie dense and provide less satiety than oatmeal (which absorbs quite a bit of water if cooked in a 1:3 ratio). Dry oats are ~1700 calories/lb vs. oatmeal at about 300 calories/lb. Likewise, corn tortillas clock in at ~1000 calories/lb vs hominy at 327 calories/lb or yellow sweet corn at 368 calories/lb.

Oatmeal cooked in water and consumed 50/50 with fruit is a great breakfast for those who like to start the day with a sweeter dish. If you prefer savory, the SNAP meal is one excellent option. "Vegetables for breakfast" are fine, but be sure to include starch with the meal, as well.

Congratulations to everyone for your continuing mutual support, and for forging ahead!

To clarify...when you say "oatmeal" are you referring to steel cut oats or oat groats?

Oat groats, steel cut, rolled, or old-fashioned are all great, and absorb water during cooking - they would all be considered acceptable starches under the guidelines. The difference would be in reference to dry rolled-oats (which are steamed in production, but are calorie dense without further cooking in liquid). I hope that makes sense, otherwise let me know.
Mark Cooper

Postby wstokes » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:37 pm

down 5 (-5 to 221)

I am trying to consciously keep portions either within the MWL guidelines or just having smaller portions. I am also riding my Peloton hard about 3-4 times a week averaging around 450-600 calories of per session "burn" from that. Now that "weigh in" is done for the week, I may have 1-2 cheat meals in the next 2-3 days, but Tuesday-Thursday will be strict. And exercise will be similar. If next week is not another "down" I will not get any "cheats."

This is not how I expect to work the rest of the year. I expect to move into the full spirit of the 10 MWL guidelines. But right now I'm pissed that I "found" about 15-20 of the pounds I "lost" last year and I'm trying to harness that energy to have a good start.
wstokes

Postby gj1310 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:59 pm

1/10/202 247.2 -4 pounds
1/3/2020 251.2
gj1310

Postby ElizabethAdams » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:04 pm

'
Down 2.25

Mark...

...thank you for your message with links to more info.
I tried to reply, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

Based on the info, though, I tried a couple of "tweaks"
to see if they would help me off my first "plateau"...
and they worked! So thank you.

Normally, it takes me a month to drop a couple of pounds,
but these dropped in a week.

I've decided I'm not going to use the word "lost"
with respect to "pounds," anymore.

I never want to "find" them again!

warmest regards...

Elizabeth :)
Last edited by ElizabethAdams on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ElizabethAdams

Postby Sunshine88 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:11 pm

Weighing in at 169 :D

Getting to the gym is helping me sleep better.

Sunshine
Sunshine88

Postby victw » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:02 pm

Down .6 lbs.

It was an easier week since there has been NO junk at work. Wow. I did not end up making chili - but made refried beans from my defrosted beans.

I do not have a plan for this weekends prep. I'm going on a one night backpack trip and expect it will be cold enough to burn off a lb or two.

Cabbage - seems like I ran across a yummy cabbage recipe recently. But I can always pan fry (no oil) and eat with defrosted beans.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program