July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Sherr61 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:48 am

Busy-B wrote:
Precursoragirl wrote:Glad to join this group. I’ve been vegan for awhile but my weight has been stubborn. I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been in life. It’s frustrating to say the least. This last year I was diagnosed with prediabetes on the verge of diabetes 2, fatty liver, acid reflux and asthma. My dad had several of these conditions and died 8 years ago from cancer. My brother died last year also from cancer. I want to take control of my weight (obese) and health. I’m committed to making this work for me.

Hurray for you! You've found the right spot.
I've been on the McDougall program for many years, and I'm back to get rid of a few sneaky pounds that crept back on when I wasn't looking. :-D
I once weighed 200 lbs, and my family has watched over the years how I avoided the sicknesses came down with. Genetically we are the same, but I chose a different lifestyle. Now, after all these years, they are joining me and finding the same success everyone else here is experiencing. I was the experiment. Now you have a golden opportunity to be an example for your family. Let them watch with amazement as you transform from "normal" to Super MWL Woman!
Glad to have you on board with us.

Busy-B

Hi,
Thanks to both of you for your posts. I'm really looking forward to this program, myself. My family all has diabetes I'm 5 foot seven and 172 pounds, almost at the heaviest I've ever been. I would like to get back down to 135 pounds. I am 61 yers old and of Norwegian lineage and therefore my genetics want me to be heavier. My mom has heart disease and diabetes and arthritis and I have just arthritis and nothing else that I know of anyway and I want to keep it that way and I don't want to be really heavy like my family tends to be. My problem is I tended to drink alcohol in the evenings because I work physically pretty hard and my arthritis kicks in. That said I've been not drinking alcohol for a while except Friday night is my danger zone where I feel like I need a reward for being so good. I saw a video where Dr. McDougall talked about not being a moderate person and I'm one of those kinds of people too.
My partner in life who is a thin small boned guy and "Mr. only 8% body fat" continually tells me I need to eat Paleo to lose the weight. He says that vegans tend to be fat. I want to prove that I can eat what I love and lose the weight. That it is a lifestyle way of eating and not french fries and potato chips. I did eat Paleo and did lose weight but now I'm heavier than I was before I met him once I started eating regular.. And so as a person who just doesn't like to eat meat and who loves potatoes and beans and rice and vegetables and fruit; I am here and I am inspired by everyone's posts. I love reading them all. So, I already did my weigh in post. I lost 3 pounds and last night being Friday I went out and had wine and pizza. Hopefully I didn't undo my whole week of doing. So I will keep working at it and being inspired by you all and thank you so much.
Sherr61

Postby Zoey » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:55 am

Whoa, I am blown away by this month's participants. Wow! Good luck to Mark and all the mods. And good luck to all MWLosers! :nod:

I'm happy to be down 1.2 from our last June weigh-in. Woohoo! So my official July beginning is 152.8. I haven't had much trouble with any of the checkpoints this week. Still working on not drinking my calories, and I'm cutting back more and more every day.
Now I'm off to read through all the pages. Welcome, everyone!
Zoey

Postby Dennis h » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:35 am

Good morning
Starting weight as of yesterday was 238 lbs
Glad to be aboard
Dennis h
Dennis h

Postby briea » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:47 am

Starting 117.6 lbs and 5’ tall.
I am trying to choose plant based foods and to cut out wheat products. I like the idea of starting meals with a soup, salad or fruit. I have tried going vegan but never been 100% committed so I’m hoping doing this with all of your support will help me.
What are some good breakfast choices?
briea

Postby CJean » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:29 am

CJean:

198.7 last week
193.2 this week, 1st week strictly the following plan
-5.5#
The thing that I miss the most is crackers and bread with hummus which is my downfall. Actually addiction once I gave up animal products a month ago. I went through my cabinets and gave away a lot of foods that I thought were healthy to eat and use. Like olives, pancake mix, refried beans with oil which I accidentally purchased, bottles of olive oil, canola oil, canned chicken, tuna, frozen fish, pasta, crackers, wheat tortillas, orange juice, etc. There was a lot but it freed up space for SF beans, SF tomato products, frozen veggies, etc.
My triglycerides were elevated several weeks ago so I'm interested to see my blood work improve.
CJean

Postby amyd60 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:42 am

Good Morning Everyone,
Did sooo well yesterday until dinner. I made myself a MWL dinner that I ate, but I added in scoops of the Spanish rice that I made my family and had some tortilla chips that they were having. Once the flood gates are open and I feel like I’ve messed it all up again I sort of give up for the night and I eat too much. My problem time is like 4:00-7:00 everyday. Can I flip flop breakfast and dinner? I was thinking if I make oats/fruit dinner maybe that will help. This is definitely why I hover at the same weight. I’m so hard on myself and start all over again striving for perfection the next day. It’s exhausting.
amyd60

Postby chaz01 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:51 am

Weight Change
Week: -1.0 lbs
June: - 5.8 lbs
Year: -70.4 lbs

I haven't had a chance to weigh-in this weekend, so I'm using my last reading from earlier in the week and counting this weight loss for my June totals - which puts me down 70lbs for the first half of the year. Very excited to continue progress the second half of the year!

I have to keep this short this week, and haven't had a chance to read any of the posts for this month, but it looks like there are lot of new members perhaps who signed up - Welcome! Wishing everybody a safe and healthy fourth of July weekend!

Chuck
chaz01

Postby Mickeysmin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:55 am

Count me in!
Mickeysmin

Postby Cdbrailsford » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:18 am

Starting date July1. -2
Cdbrailsford

Postby Whitehawk » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:22 am

Height: 6'2"
Starting weight - July 1: 276.0
Current weight - July 4: 272.8

Net: - 3.2
Whitehawk

Postby bblair » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 am

Do not usually post to forums, so not even sure where I am supposed to post, so posting here. First weigh in, started out wrong, supposed to weigh Friday and post by Saturday, will correct next week. Weight 183-goal 150. Started last Monday, great all week, Friday night meal out was a little tough, but overall a good week.
bblair

Postby Lucas » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:38 am

4/27/20: 203.2
5/1/20: 201.8
5/8/20: 200.0
5/15/20: 198.6
5/22/20: 197.8
5/29/20: 196.0
6/5/20 : 193.8
6/12/20: 192.8
6/19/20: 192.6
6/26/20: 191.8
7/3/20: 190.8
Change: -1.0

Hi everyone! Wow, a lot of folks this month! Welcome!

Count me in to continue on this forum for the month of July. Thank you to Mark and the other administrator/moderators for leading us on this forum. I am very grateful. It really helps reading and just knowing we are not alone on our journey to good health. I’m hoping as I get healthier my wife will one day join me in eating a starched based diet and in particular eating for MWL. I'm hoping to finally reach the 180s by next week!

So, here is how it went this past week. I went on vacation this week and took a trip so didn't adhere as well as I would of liked, looking back on it.

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL) 

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.  Yes

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.  Not 100% on this point through the week.

2) Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.  Yes.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).  Yes.

6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. I had a day where I reached for and snacked on dry cereal that I had leftover from before going MWL. Time for that stuff to go. It was not only dry cereal, but dry fruit and with sugar.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).  Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Most yes..some no. Seems to be always room for improvement for me on this point.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Did some brisk walking on about 4 out of the 7 days last week. Went on a trip this past week and it didn't get back to it. But it's a new week. Time to get back with it.

That about wraps it up for this week. A great and successful week to everyone! :-D
Lucas

Postby josietheschnauzer » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:53 am

Great, Kathy62!!!!
josietheschnauzer

Postby marb » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:00 am

Weight change -2 lbs,
did well with salad first, 50/50 plate ratio, fruit for dessert, eliminating hight calorie-dense foods,
improving with exercise, swimming laps for 50 minutes 3X a week (just re-opened due to covid-19)
need more work on not over eating and stopping when I am full.
marb

Postby geributter » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:12 am

Started July 1

Weight loss - 2 lbs
Following MWL guidelines
Walking 2 miles per day

Looking forward to losing with everyone.
geributter

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program