January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Shirlshel » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:28 am

Shirlshel

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:31 am

Jocewally wrote:As I look at the Calorie Density groups I noticed quite a variety of Calorie Density within each group. I wanted to know which of the beans, lentils, legumes were on the higher end of the scale and make sure that I enjoyed them more sparingly even though they're still under 600 cal/lb.

Since my body is pretty resistant to losing fat I thought I would help as much as possible.

Here's a chart I found that breaks down a list of common WFPB foods:
https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/ed ... torfh3.png

I searched online for the formula to figure out calorie density or a more thorough WFPB Calorie Density chart but haven't found one that didn't include lots of animal based products.

Learning how to eat with a 50/50 plate, preloading with low Calorie Dense foods, etc is really making these past 2 weeks feel different than the entire 5 years I've been working on losing weight. Yay! Very thankful to have had this Jan 2020 WeighIn opportunity pop up in my facebook wall.

Wow, look at the jump in those bar graphs from Garbanzo Beans to Coconut! A powerful visual. Thanks for sharing. When I want to check the calorie density of a specific food, I input it into Cronometer and adjust the quantity to 454g (1lb); just enter the food as consumed, e.g. - cooked pasta rather than dry pasta.
Mark Cooper

Postby moonlight » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:56 am

Mark Cooper wrote:
Jocewally wrote:As I look at the Calorie Density groups I noticed quite a variety of Calorie Density within each group. I wanted to know which of the beans, lentils, legumes were on the higher end of the scale and make sure that I enjoyed them more sparingly even though they're still under 600 cal/lb.

Since my body is pretty resistant to losing fat I thought I would help as much as possible.

Here's a chart I found that breaks down a list of common WFPB foods:

I searched online for the formula to figure out calorie density or a more thorough WFPB Calorie Density chart but haven't found one that didn't include lots of animal based products.

Learning how to eat with a 50/50 plate, preloading with low Calorie Dense foods, etc is really making these past 2 weeks feel different than the entire 5 years I've been working on losing weight. Yay! Very thankful to have had this Jan 2020 WeighIn opportunity pop up in my facebook wall.

Wow, look at the jump in those bar graphs from Garbanzo Beans to Coconut! A powerful visual. Thanks for sharing. When I want to check the calorie density of a specific food, I input it into Cronometer and adjust the quantity to 454g (1lb); just enter the food as consumed, e.g. - cooked pasta rather than dry pasta.

I love this graphic! Jocewally's question brings up another question for me. In addition to calorie density, doesn't Dr. McDougall recommend keeping legumes to one cup per day due to the protein content?
moonlight

Postby colleenaprn » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:58 am

Hi,
I posted my weight loss yesterday but cannot seem to find my post? I have clicked on the " view my posts" but it just brings me to this thread, not my actual post. Can anyone help me?
I am down 4 pounds this week BTW :D
colleenaprn

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:02 am

Jocewally wrote:Here's a chart I found that breaks down a list of common WFPB foods:

The calorie density chart was made by one of our own forum members, Caroline Graettinger who runs The Garden Dish. The numbers are based on some charts I made in one of my articles, The Percentage of Protein in Plant Foods.

https://www.jeffnovick.com/blog/the-per ... lant-foods

You can see the chart under the Calorie Density Resources thread in my forum, here at these boards along with a few others she made which I am reposting here
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48602

Calorie Density – The Trees and The Forest
http://www.gardendish.com/calorie-densi ... he-forest/

This chart highlights some more specifics about individual foods. (You can zoom in at the chart at her website)

Food Items – The Trees

And this one in regard to food groups

Food Categories – The Forest

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:03 am

colleenaprn wrote:Hi,
I posted my weight loss yesterday but cannot seem to find my post? I have clicked on the " view my posts" but it just brings me to this thread, not my actual post. Can anyone help me?
I am down 4 pounds this week BTW :D

Hi, Colleen! Is it possible that you "previewed" your post, but didn't post it? I can't find a post for you from yesterday, either. At any rate, I'll record this as your weigh-in amount. Take care!
Mark Cooper

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:05 am

moonlight wrote: doesn't Dr. McDougall recommend keeping legumes to one cup per day due to the protein content?

A cup a day, on average.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:34 am

Good luck to everyone who is weighing in this week.

An issue that comes up all the time is whether air-popped popcorn and puffed cereals are allowed. For decades, both of these have been through of as “low calorie” snacks and promoted by many weight management programs and organization.

However, these foods are very calorie density and very low in satiety (per calorie).

Let me explain.

Popcorn is calorie dense and while it does have much more volume than many other foods with the same calorie density due to the air, it is still much easier to overeat on than foods with a lower calorie density. The reason is, most foods that are low in calorie density are high in water, which not only provides volume but also weight. The air may provide volume but it does not provide the weight which is as an important factor in satiety.

In addition, most of the volume created by the air never makes it to your stomach as we chew it out in our mouths. To get a real idea of what ends up in your stomach, look at the amount of kernels before you pop it and that is a much more realistic picture of the volume of food that will make it to your stomach.

So, while a puffed grain, like air-popped corn or rice cakes, or puffed rice cereal may seem like a better choice than a bread, cracker, dry cereal or bagel, made of the same grain, because of the volume created by the air, it isn’t and will never be as good as the plan cooked corn, or rice as it does not have the weight provided by the water.

Volume created by water trumps volume created by air.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Carrieann » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:46 am

Friday/Saturday weigh in

Definitely wasn't compliant -- couldn't stay out of the peanut butter and craved the bananas to go with it!

I did move/exercise every day--I have a mini-exerciser and pedaled at least 10 minutes-15 minutes, with 2 days of 30 minutes. That was extremely important for me to keep up with because I had been becoming quite "lazy" over time.

Starting weight: December 28th – 211.2

Jan 3rd -- 206.7 (-4.5 last week)

January 11 -- 208.7

+2 gain this week

Next week will be better. Glad for the accountability. :-D
Last edited by Carrieann on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrieann

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:50 am

Oh my, the information in this thread has been amazing. And anytime JeffN gives extra information it's so helpful. I never quite understood the popcorn situation. Luckily it's something I rarely eat, but my dogs love it when I do pop a bowlful :D

I have always wanted to make my own tortillas and today I will give it a try. If someone can make fresh ones everyday, I can attempt my own. Hopefully it's not a flop.

And the information about the oatmeal was also quite interesting. I wake up every single night for no reason at all. Just this morning when I woke up the first thought that went through my head was that I didn't wake up last night. The last two days I've eaten oats as an afternoon snack. Then I read about oats and tryptophan and sleeping. Wow!!! I need to look into that, and continue to eat the afternoon oats.

Mark, you are doing a tremendous job, that's for keeping us motivated and in line.
AnnetteW

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:59 am

AnnetteW wrote: Oh my, the information in this thread has been amazing. And anytime JeffN gives extra information it's so helpful. I never quite understood the popcorn situation.

Thanks

AnnetteW wrote: I have always wanted to make my own tortillas and today I will give it a try. If someone can make fresh ones everyday, I can attempt my own. Hopefully it's not a flop.

Just to clarify, tortilla’s are calorie dense and not on the MWL program. Mark covered it earlier in the thread.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JaBee » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:09 am

Height: 5.2
Initial Goal: under 200#

Initial weight 1/12020: 213.6
Weigh in 1/4/2020: 209.6, -4#
Weigh in 1/10/2020: 204.6, -5#

Had good week, exercised on treadmill x 5 days for 30 minutes, which likely helped.
Expect loss to diminish next week though. Ate 100% MWL, no added salt,.
JaBee

Postby LeahMT » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:21 am

Yes, to clarify. Loss of 2.2 lbs this week.

Leah
LeahMT

Postby ltolar » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 am

Only lost 0.2 pounds this week (Friday-Friday). My weight fluctuated throughout the week. I'm disappointed, but will try harder this coming week.
ltolar

Postby Miss Meta » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:26 am

194.4 lbs today
lost 0.8 lbs last week
Miss Meta

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program