MARCH '09 - MWL "ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!&qu

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

so proud of you all

Postby Riva » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:37 pm

`Laura, That is wonderful. And I think each time we stay on track through challenges circumstances the easier it will get. Habits hard won.

Letha - great work on your exercise plan. It takes a lot of discipline.

I have been making dinner on sunday nights (no other night because we are working such hard tax season hours) and our daughters show up and sometimes a friend or two of theirs or ours. I make a totally McDougall dinner but put a few things out on the side for the non McDougallers.
I am not even tempted.

But in the office I have been having demons.
A client brought something as a gift and it has been laying around torturing me. A new employee (who doesn't yet know the extent of my "healthnutness" gave me something and I put it in my drawer. He offered me a second and I said, no, shouldn't really have them.
So I have struggled and won. I heard Oprah say that you have to learn to tolerate discomfort and tolerate some pain. That's it. It eventually goes away.

Oh, Letha...I made your Becky's split Pea and it was HUGE success. I loved it and froze up the leftovers.

Riva
Riva

Postby Letha. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:57 am

Checking In. I’m on plan and planning to stay that way. I watched a bunch of canning videos on YouTube last night. I wanted to see how to can tomatoes but as often happens when watching YouTube I got sidetracked and started watching videos about homemade salsa and chutneys and now I’m wanting to try some new salsa recipes. I came across this one recipe I’ve never heard of that sounded really interesting. Chow Chow.

Chow Chow II
Ingredients:
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

Cooking Directions:
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 peck green tomatoes
1 dozen red peppers
1 dozen green peppers
1 medium cabbage head
10 large onions
3 tablespoons salt
3 cups sugar
3 cups apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons mustard seed
1 teaspoon turmeric

Grind together the green tomatoes, red and green peppers, cabbage and
onions. Put 3 tablespoons salt on top of mixture; let stand overnight and
drain.

Make the brine. Combine sugar, apple cider vinegar, mustard seed and
turmeric. Boil this mixture 20 minutes.

Pour hot brine over vegetable mixture that has been packed into jars.
Process 10 minutes in a hot water canner.

http://www.canning-recipes.com/

I thought this might be good over beans or black-eyed peas or even mashed potatoes. I’m also looking at some rhubarb recipes. Can’t wait until the farmer’s markets get up and running this spring.

Riva, I’m glad you liked Becky’s split pea soup. I wonder if you could can it. I was also wondering if you could can Paul’s 2 cup soup. Perhaps I need to go waste some more time on YouTube today to find out about canning soup. :cool:

Hope you all are having a great day. I’ll check back tomorrow.
Letha
Letha.

Postby toadfood » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:08 am

Hi everybody! Yesterday I made a variation of Paul's 2-cup soup that I really liked, so I thought I would post it here. This makes 6-8 servings.

In an 8-quart soup pot, combine:

1 30-oz can diced tomatoes
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1 30-oz can full of water
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 big carrots or 4 small ones, peeled and chopped
2 medium sized waxy potatoes, cubed
1 lb frozen black-eyed peas
1 lb frozen green beans
1 lb frozen collard greens, or 1/2 collards and 1/2 turnip greens
1/3 to 1/2 lb frozen butter beans
1/3 to 1/2 lb frozen corn
1 tsp dried thyme
1-2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning mix

Simmer until potatoes are cooked.

Thanks again, LauraA, for giving us this yummy recipe!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby Letha. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:17 am

Toadfood, once again great minds think alike. :-D I was planning to add Cajun seasoning & potatoes to Paul’s 2 cup soup recipe the next time I make it. Good to know you liked it.
Letha
Letha.

Postby mairead11 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:01 am

Letha. wrote:I thought this might be good over beans or black-eyed peas or even mashed potatoes. I’m also looking at some rhubarb recipes. Can’t wait until the farmer’s markets get up and running this spring.

Letha, I'd love to know what rhubarb recipes appeal to you! I usually only use rhubarb in two ways: in a pie [obviously this is no longer an option!], or stewed with strawberries to sweeten it up. This is the way I would eat it most, I'd have it for breakfast, or as a dessert—but with a dollop of vanilla soy yoghurt smack in the middle! And I just can't get back into eating this without the yoghurt! I like it raw too, but with the end dipped in sugar. :-(

Also, Letha, thanks for your other posts on "The Pleasure Trap"—I received my copy on Friday, and watched it yesterday! I really, really enjoyed it, and kind of wished I'd had the chance to see it before my friends arrived for the weekend—I found his suggestions in dealing with "nay-sayers" to be invaluable! I also ordered "Losing Weight, without Losing Your Mind"—which will be next up on deck.

Thanks for all that you share! You are very much appreciated here. :D
Mairead
mairead11

Postby luvdachiess » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:18 am

I love to stew rubarb with strawberries too, but I eat it on my Oatmeal. Call me weird. =)
Teresa
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHMutQn/]
[/url]
luvdachiess

Postby topview1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:02 pm

On plan and planning to stay that way!

Here is a picture of my March exercise calender, taken Thursday! I hope April looks as good :D

Planning potato leek soup for supper for myself, my boys are making french toast from the McD made Easy.
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

Postby Letha. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:25 pm

Hey Melanie,
I love your calendar! Here is my exercise log. Aren’t we silly??? :D

Letha.

Postby Letha. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:55 pm

mairead11 wrote:
Letha. wrote:I thought this might be good over beans or black-eyed peas or even mashed potatoes. I’m also looking at some rhubarb recipes. Can’t wait until the farmer’s markets get up and running this spring.

Letha, I'd love to know what rhubarb recipes appeal to you! I usually only use rhubarb in two ways: in a pie [obviously this is no longer an option!], or stewed with strawberries to sweeten it up. This is the way I would eat it most, I'd have it for breakfast, or as a dessert—but with a dollop of vanilla soy yoghurt smack in the middle! And I just can't get back into eating this without the yoghurt! I like it raw too, but with the end dipped in sugar. :-(

Also, Letha, thanks for your other posts on "The Pleasure Trap"—I received my copy on Friday, and watched it yesterday! I really, really enjoyed it, and kind of wished I'd had the chance to see it before my friends arrived for the weekend—I found his suggestions in dealing with "nay-sayers" to be invaluable! I also ordered "Losing Weight, without Losing Your Mind"—which will be next up on deck.

Thanks for all that you share! You are very much appreciated here. :D
Mairead

Mairead,
I’m so glad you liked ‘The Pleasure Trap’. The concepts are so helpful to me. Regarding rhubarb, I’m thinking about chutneys. I go back and forth about the sugar thing. I use a relish, fruit salsa, or chutney as a condiment like ketchup or jam. So even though a pint might have ¼ cup of sugar, two tablespoons probably only has a teaspoon of sugar – which is not much different then the brown sugar I put on my oats or the maple syrup in my 3-2-1 dressing.

Here is a list of rhubarb recipes and a couple of chutneys I’d like to try.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-sauce ... x_sauce_31

Rhubarb and Dried Cherry Chutney
Rhubarb is a harbinger of spring, and here it stars with "cherry raisins" to make a fabulous sweet-spicy chutney. We serve it with Roast Lemon-Pepper Duck; it's also a great balance for other rich-tasting foods like pork and venison. Very young and tender rhubarb doesn't need to be peeled. But as the season progresses, larger stalks can become tough and stringy. Use a vegetable peeler to remove only the outermost layer.

Ingredients:

2 lbs fresh rhubarb, both ends trimmed, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch pieces
3 Tbs. sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup dried cherries
5 Tbs. red wine vinegar
3 Tbs. red wine
2 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Pinch each of cinnamon, allspice, and cayenne
1/2 cup minced red onion
3/4 cup 1/2-inch slices of celery
2 tsp. grated orange zest
1 Tbs. minced jalapeno pepper (no seeds)
2 tsp. lime juice
Procedure:

Place the rhubarb in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar. Let the rhubarb macerate and drain for 30 minutes.
In a 10-inch skillet, cook the honey, cherries, vinegar, wine, mustard seeds, salt, and spices over medium heat until syrupy.
Stir in the onion and celery and cook for 2 minutes to soften. Add the rhubarb and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to cook evenly. Avoid overcooking the rhubarb. When done, it should be tender but still have some texture to it.
Add the orange zest and jalapeno pepper and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the lime juice, remove from the pan, and let cool. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
----------

Rhubarb, Onion, and Raisin Chutney
Ingredients:
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

1 1/2 pounds onions, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup golden raisins
3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup sugar
1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)

Procedure:
In a large saucepan cook the onions over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are softened. While the onions are cooking, in a bowl combine the raisins, 1/2 cup hot water, the vinegar, the cloves, and the sugar, let the mixture stand for 15 minutes, and stir it into the onions. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring, top it with the rhubarb (do not stir in the rhubarb), and cook the mixture, covered, at a slow boil for 5 minutes. Stir the mixture, cook it, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes more, or until the rhubarb is just tender, and season the chutney with salt and pepper. The chutney may be made 1 week in advance and kept in an airtight container and chilled. Serve the chutney warm or at room temperature.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
-----------

Rhubarb Chutney
Ingredients:
3 Cups Rhubarb -- sliced
1 Cup Cider vinegar
1 Cup Sugar, brown -- dark
1/2 Teaspoon Ginger -- ground
1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
1/2 Teaspoon Mustard -- dry
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic powder
8 ounces Dates -- chopped
1/2 cup Raisins
2 medium Apples -- peeled & chopped, 3 cups)

Procedure:
In 2 quart glass bowl combine rhubarb, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, allspice, mustard, and microwave on high for 6 minutes or until boiling. Add dates, raisins, and apples. Do not cover. Microwave on high 6 minutes. Stir and microwave 6 more minutes. Stirring occasionally, let stand till barely warm. Spoon into jars and refrigerate. Will thicken.
Letha.

Postby mairead11 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Letha. wrote:Here is a list of rhubarb recipes and a couple of chutneys I’d like to try. http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-sauce ... x_sauce_31

Thanks Letha! These sound delish! I will be giving one a try for sure.

mairead
mairead11

Postby topview1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:31 pm

Letha. wrote:Hey Melanie,

Nope!

It makes me happy to see all of the happy faces and cheery stars and it works, I want the stickers on the calender (and a healthy body) more than I want to skip my workout!
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

Letha's - Becky's split pea soup

Postby Riva » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Dear Letha,
As you already know, I made the split pea soup yesterday.
Today I heated some up and added Annie's Sweet & Spicey BBQ sauce to my bowl and it was so yummy. I don't know if you eat this BBQ - it has sugar in it.

Riva
Riva

Re: Letha's - Becky's split pea soup

Postby Letha. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Riva wrote:Dear Letha,
As you already know, I made the split pea soup yesterday.
Today I heated some up and added Annie's Sweet & Spicey BBQ sauce to my bowl and it was so yummy. I don't know if you eat this BBQ - it has sugar in it.

Riva

I like BBQ sauce and I do eat sugar - perhaps too much. I'll have to give this a try. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby Letha. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:45 pm

topview1 wrote:
Letha. wrote:Hey Melanie,

Nope!

It makes me happy to see all of the happy faces and cheery stars and it works, I want the stickers on the calender (and a healthy body) more than I want to skip my workout!

Stickers are way fun. I used a WORD table to make my exercise log look just like the one in the Strong Women book but I haven’t really felt a need for the comments section. At the end of the 12 weeks when I make my new log it’s going to be designed to better accommodate stars and stickers. You know, for the past year I haven’t allowed myself to hang anything on the fridge because I had potential buyers walking through the place but I just took my house off the market so I might have to hang my first completed page up on the fridge with a magnet like a child’s art project so I’ll smile every time I reach in for another bowl of Moroccan Stew. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby txveggie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:44 pm

I am so going to buy me some fun stickers to add to my calendar! What a great idea you guys. :)

I am going to start MWL April 1st and would like to join your group if that is good with everyone.

I've McDougalled off and on for the last year, I eat a mostly vegan diet but the fat is what is the hardest for me but have been really good the last few weeks and am wanting to "step things up a bit" so here I am. I need to lose some where between 30-50 pounds.
txveggie

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program