July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby GreenFroG » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:16 pm

Wildgoose, thank you for shooting straight on so many points! Your post from Friday, July 3rd was so helpful! For me, it started with your opening comments:

"There are several questions here about whether certain foods are OK on MWL. Remember that "OK" is always a relative term. OK for what? What are your goals? What are your special weaknesses? (I found that if I was asking "is this OK?" it usually meant that I was very attached to what I was asking about. I ended up not being able to use it in moderation, and it kept me on a never-ending craving cycle. This may not be the case for you, but be ruthlessly honest with yourself here.)"

I am definitely working on giving up attachments to certain foods and trying to keep my goals at the forefront of my mind. I have found that I am not able to eat a lot of foods in moderation as they set me up for the never-ending craving cycle. I appreciate your being so honest with us!

Just wanted to say thank you!
GreenFroG

Weigh-In Report Compilation - July 3, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:19 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below.

Mark's Replies for July 3 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for July 3 - Part 2

By my count, 134 participants reported for our first July 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the first Friday in July:

Week ending 7/3/2020: 134 participants reported a total loss of -98.50 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Abible +1.90
Hope410 +1.80
Tian-De +0.60
Total gains: +4.30
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Afia Joy 0.00
Amberlina 0.00
Amyd60 0.00
AnnieB20 0.00
April H. 0.00
Avanburen 0.00
Babajoof 0.00
BarbaraLynn 0.00
Bblair 0.00
Belana 0.00
Briea 0.00
Busy-B 0.00
Cathmc 0.00
Cathy Ann 0.00
Chef16 0.00
Chryl 0.00
Cmurphy 0.00
Cottage024 0.00
DanG 0.00
Deepaws 0.00
Dennis h 0.00
EmmaLW 0.00
Emmycaitlin 0.00
GenevieveJohnson 0.00
Goalsetterjo 0.00
Golightly 0.00
Gspeech3 0.00
Hollyhock 0.00
Inverts99 0.00
Jan Daley 0.00
JaydaMax 0.00
Jenniferhopeful_ 0.00
Jkcook 0.00
Joanne_elon 0.00
Josietheschnauzer 0.00
Judy_Bell 0.00
Judyk53716 0.00
KarenMWL 0.00
Kasie 0.00
Kathie 0.00
KathleenK 0.00
Kathy62 0.00
KDoyler 0.00
KrisR 0.00
Laney273 0.00
Lauradwight 0.00
LesleyMills 0.00
Livshaka 0.00
LLee 0.00
MandyF 0.00
MartiB 0.00
MaryE 0.00
Melissa B. 0.00
Meriellen 0.00
Merwoman 0.00
Mickeysmin 0.00
Minisweet 0.00
NatalieJ 0.00
OrangeBird 0.00
Pann 0.00
Petunia 0.00
Philmwl 0.00
Pootsy 0.00
Precursoragirl 0.00
Rbw 0.00
RiceBurner 0.00
Rlechols 0.00
Roxanne123 0.00
Sandraa325 0.00
Sdfraser99 0.00
SGarcia 0.00
Soulforged 0.00
Summer20 0.00
TeriGG 0.00
Tobinterri 0.00
Ukeplayer 0.00
Vegyluvver 0.00
Waterfit 0.00
Cdbrailsford -0.20
VNiehoff -0.20
Klosee -0.40
Carwex -0.50
Trish -0.50
AnnetteW -0.60
Growing a Pear -0.60
Wstokes -0.80
Beeshell -1.00
Chaz01 -1.00
Jacqui Appell -1.00
JennyDianne -1.00
Karenjaq -1.00
Laurag -1.00
Lucas -1.00
Moonlight -1.00
Simon -1.00
VivianS -1.00
PonysPlants -1.20
Wfpb2020 -1.20
Zoey -1.20
Adriana -1.30
Kirstykay -1.40
Eatrealfood -1.50
Cinderoli -1.60
Francnm -1.60
Laura_delao -1.60
MelMoore -1.60
Rsmith0809 -1.60
Goal140 -1.80
GreenFroG -1.80
HaleyS -1.80
K-Squared -1.90
Geributter -2.00
Marb -2.00
Mmcg0306 -2.00
Noella -2.00
Pattyj115 -2.00
Violet3135 -2.00
Gigieve -2.50
Vegeloon -2.50
Sherr61 -2.80
Tyler -3.00
Annmariejacobus -3.10
MDavidson -3.20
Renestl -3.20
Whitehawk -3.20
Drew* -3.30
Abe -4.30
Gimmelean -5.30
CJean -5.50
Jackcook82 -6.00
JennieNicole -6.00
Total losses: -102.80
Cumulative group loss for July 2020 to date: 98.50 pounds
Average loss for week ending July 3: 0.74 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: 96.60 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2020: 60.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2020: 218.00 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2020: 191.50 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2020: 120.63 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, July 10, 2020.

Wow! July is off to a rip-roaring start! Let me take a moment to congratulate all of the participants who showed up this week and put in the work to start (or continue) making these important behavioral changes!

I'll try to keep my remarks succinct, starting with a recommendation to read this excellent post from wildgoose on the topic of what is or isn't "OK" for MWL, and why the idea of "OK" may not be the most useful framework; check it out, if you haven't already done so.

If you are feeling the need to cultivate a clearer and broader understanding of why the MWL 10-Point Checklist makes the specific recommendations it does, review Jeff's article -

Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories

The best way to solve the problem of passive overconsumption is to make the changes in behavior recommended by the MWL 10-Point Checklist.

Let me end with this observation -

There is nothing magical that happens when you join this group and I add your name to the list.
Jeff, wildgoose and I can offer accountability and support in terms of understanding and implementing the MWL guidelines, and your fellow participants provide a feeling of community; but, it is up to you to actually make these changes in your daily lives. All the forum posts in the world won't have an effect on the outcomes we seek, without lasting changes in our daily pattern of behavior. Don't obsess over the minutiae; rather, direct your energy toward doing an excellent job at the fundamental principles. Nearly everything you might need to know to make this work is covered in the group introduction and resources.

I wish each of you the very best, and that the week to come is filled with continued progress! :D
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:22 pm

LindaDi wrote:Hello: I'm new to posting. Where do I post my weight loss?

Hello! This is the correct thread. Unfortunately, you missed the window for this week's weigh-in, but we'll have another on July 10. In the meantime, be sure to review the important directions in our introduction, and get started using the MWL 10-Point Checklist.
Mark Cooper

Postby LindaDi » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:28 pm

Thank you. I am following the guidelines and need to work on #7. Bread is my downfall but glad I cut back a lot. Next week I will do better. 2 pound loss so far. See you on the 10th.
LindaDi

Re: Mark's Replies for July 3 - Part 2

Postby Drew* » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:32 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:This is the second half of my responses to the reports for our July 3 Weigh-In. The first half is linked below.

Mark's Replies for July 3 - Part 1

Drew* - What a blessing that you and your siblings were able to spend that time with your father. Good work putting Jeff's simple recipes to work for you and staying active! You are correct to observe that a few exceptions can often lead to many more than a few. When you think of where you were at in April, try not to lament, know that you can make it there again, and further, with diligent efforts over time. The practice of the principles produces the results. :-D

Thank you Mark for the remarks about my father! My niece missed seeing him alive, but I was able to tell her along with my Mom as my niece walked in the door after flying to Washington from Idaho. She was a great source of encouragement to my mom!

Just as a side-note, I just realized that my BMI calculation is too low. I have made the change in my last posting based on my correct height. My math is not always correct when using fractions! Correct BMI is 26.1.

So I do have a ways to go to get back to April and then progress from there! It does not help to fret! But it will be step-by-step while limiting the exceptions. Jeff's easy recipes are enough for me! Following the MWL path will lead to the right goal!

Drew*
Drew*

Postby LindaDi » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:02 pm

Can I still have Dr. McDougall's Golden Gravy on mashed potatoes?
LindaDi

How to navigate this board.

Postby Kathie » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:34 pm

I am new to this board. Could someone please explain this board format? I cannot figure it out. The dates seem to range from current to very old which confuses me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Kathie

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:44 pm

LindaDi wrote:Can I still have Dr. McDougall's Golden Gravy on mashed potatoes?

Mashed potatoes are fine for the starch component of a meal. I would imagine the "Fat Free" version of Golden Gravy could be acceptable if used modestly, as a condiment. There was recently an email featuring MWL acceptable sauce recipes. UPDATED: I noticed in another thread that Jeff mentioned this gravy, substituting white beans for cashews would be an excellent option.
Creamy Mushroom Gravy
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
Serves:Makes about 3 cups
By Cathy Fisher
This gravy is delicious with mashed potatoes or the Lentil and Rice Loaf. It's rich and flavorful even without soy sauce, flour or cornstarch.

Ingredients
2 cups water
1/4 cup white beans
6 medium white or brown (cremini) mushrooms
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 small carrot, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp poultry seasoning
freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Place the water and white beans into a blender, and set aside.

In a medium saucepan on high heat, add 1 tablespoon of water, and when it starts to sputter, add the mushrooms, onion, carrot, and celery. Cook stirring for about 3 minutes until the vegetables soften, adding a little water as needed to prevent sticking. Add the garlic and poultry seasoning, and continue stirring for another 2 minutes (adding water as needed).

Add the cooked vegetables to the blender of water and white beans, and blend until smooth (add more water if you'd like a smoother consistency). Return the gravy to the saucepan (on medium heat) and stir briefly just to reheat, grinding a bit of black pepper in at the end. Serve immediately.

Kathie wrote:I am new to this board. Could someone please explain this board format? I cannot figure it out. The dates seem to range from current to very old which confuses me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The discussion board is divided into a number of forums:
How to Begin
The Lounge
Jeff Novick, RD
Maximum Weight Loss Program
Food, Recipes & Meal Planning
My Daily Menus & Journals
and several others.

This is the Maximum Weight loss forum, and this specific thread is for the July 2020 MWL Weigh-In Group. There are numerous other threads discussing a wide variety of subjects related to practicing this way of eating. Feel free to explore. If you are looking for information on the MWL Weigh-In Group, this is the post explaining how to get started.
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby PonysPlants » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello,

Hope everyone’s well. So fun to see all the losses and there’s some great tips on here, too.

Normally I’ve been having raw oats and fruit for breakfast but I’ve changed that up to porridge since the 1st and wow, what a difference that makes to my satiation. I’m getting to 2 o’clock before I even want any lunch.

Anyway, a quick question. Although I’ve been predominantly whole food vegan to lose the 35lbs I have so far but I’ve always counted calories alongside that. I average about 1500 a day to have a calorie deficit of about 500. I don’t know if I should still me doing this on MWL or not. To be honest I would like to not bother but the thought of not logging it makes me a bit anxious for some reason!

Thanks in advance for your help.
PonysPlants

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:00 pm

PonysPlants wrote:Hello,

Hope everyone’s well. So fun to see all the losses and there’s some great tips on here, too.

Normally I’ve been having raw oats and fruit for breakfast but I’ve changed that up to porridge since the 1st and wow, what a difference that makes to my satiation. I’m getting to 2 o’clock before I even want any lunch.

Anyway, a quick question. Although I’ve been predominantly whole food vegan to lose the 35lbs I have so far but I’ve always counted calories alongside that. I average about 1500 a day to have a calorie deficit of about 500. I don’t know if I should still me doing this on MWL or not. To be honest I would like to not bother but the thought of not logging it makes me a bit anxious for some reason!

Thanks in advance for your help.

When you are eating and acting in adherence with the MWL 10-Point Checklist, you can eat whenever hungry, until comfortably full. Because the overall dietary pattern is calorie dilute, if you follow the guidelines and your appetite, you will achieve a calorie deficit. If, from week to week, you find your progress less than you would hope, the answer at that point is always to give greater attention to strict adherence. Counting calories accurately is nearly impossible and, IMO, counterproductive to one's effort when following this way of eating. Check out Jeff's excellent article - How to Successfully Count Calories! Letting go of calorie counting feels scary at first, but take a leap of faith and trust that if you are attending to the fundamental behaviors, you are doing the right thing. :) You can read some of my past posts on calorie counting here and here.
Mark Cooper wrote:I want to take this opportunity to remind everyone to focus on the basics and encourage keeping things simple. This lifestyle feels like it should be easy to cultivate; after all, it's just eating some starches, vegetables, and fruits, drinking water, and going for a walk - seems easy, right? While that IS easy to understand, in practice it can be more like pushing with all your strength in one direction, while an axis of environmental, societal and evolutionary forces are all shoving you the opposite way! Because it often feels hard (but seems like it should be easy), I think sometimes we become inclined to "work hard" pushing on places where we don't have much leverage. I implore all participants not to resort to counting calories, weighing and measuring food, obsessing over minute details of diet and nutrition, or compulsively logging in CRONometer. Speaking as someone who foolishly did ALL of those things for way too long (in excess of a whole year), I can testify that path is maddening, and rarely sustainable. What is necessary to make this way of eating work in a sustainable and durable way, is to get REALLY good at planning, preparing, and (when hungry) eating adherent meals. In a month, most of us will eat anywhere from 50-100 meals, the percentage of those meals that satisfy the MWL guidelines largely determines how the month turns out in regard to our health and weight loss goals. Direct your efforts toward the task of passing the "plate test," in a fashion that fits your circumstances.

If the MWL 10-Point Checklist had an 11th point, it would be -

DO NOT OVERCOMPLICATE THIS!

The MWL 10-Point Checklist is clear, easy to understand, and easy to use; but remember that it is also a very powerful tool backed up by a thorough review and understanding of the relevant scientific literature, with insight provided by the decades of clinical experience Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick have working with clients. It is easy to start feeling anxious if you are struggling, and equally easy to get worried about improving or sustaining progress when doing well - as much as you can, try not to worry. Trust that the MWL 10-Point Checklist works, and just do your very best to put the ten points into practice.
Mark Cooper

Postby jan_npr » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:03 pm

Well, I did get off the MWL track for a week with overnight company and missed the last couple of weigh-ins. My scale verbally announces my weight and that would have been way too embarrassing! I also missed my daily forum writing and reading which I think is helpful. The good news is that I did manage to pretty much stick to the regular Starch Solution. I weighed myself this morning (Saturday) and even with entertaining I still lost 1.8 lbs since my last weigh-in. I'm happy about that but getting back on the MWL program NOW!
jan_npr

Postby Noella » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:27 pm

Thanks, Mark! I always appreciate your comments!
Last edited by Noella on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Postby MandyF » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:44 pm

OOH OH, I did something wrong yesterday! I don't think I can eat pasta. I made some Lentil & Bean Pasta with "cheese" sauce made with cauliflower and nutritional yeast etc and added veges. I also ate too much fruit as not sure how much melon I can eat and just went a bit mad. The scale doesn't lie. Back to basics today I guess :roll:
MandyF

1st week of July and my 1st full week

Postby terri530 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:10 pm

I enjoy this diet plan. Rough week as my 71st birthday on 6/30. :crybaby:

Weight change. 1 lbs loss
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week #1
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention #4
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support

I have problems dairy.
I prepared gazpacho for soup and I made vegan chizo. Both receipes were great .
I will try harder
terri530

Postby pixie98642 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:29 pm

Well, this is my first time posting about my weight loss. I just joined this group a couple of days ago, but I have been following the MWL principles for 5 weeks now. I haven't been weighing myself on a weekly basis, so I don't know how much I lost for this past week, but I CAN tell you that I have lost 13.8 pounds in those 5 weeks! I am very happy with my weight loss and I am finding the program very easy to follow. It's so easy to follow the 50/50 plate guidelines! What I need to work on however, is eating fruit/soup/salad before my meal. I'll be working on that this week.

I know I can do this!
pixie98642

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program