July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby BarbaraLynn » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:19 am

JeffN wrote:We Are Back Live!

Thanks everyone. I think the break gave everyone a chance to catch up on this thread, and the MWL guidelines, recommendations and links. I happy to see that several of you also started journals. And, I know Mark and WildGoose got a break from what might be one of our busiest groups ever.

Have a great day and a great month.

In Health
Jeff

Thank you, Jeff, Mark and WildGoose. I so appreciate all you do to keep this going. I'm sitting here eating my steamed collards and drinking the potlikker (my favorite pre-breakfast routine) and am thinking how thankful I am for this way of eating and how good I'm feeling. It's so nice to actually have ankles again and literally see the inflammation leaving my body! MWL for the win!
BarbaraLynn
BarbaraLynn

Postby Zoey » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:53 pm

BarbaraLynn wrote:Thank you, Jeff, Mark and WildGoose. I so appreciate all you do to keep this going. I'm sitting here eating my steamed collards and drinking the potlikker (my favorite pre-breakfast routine) and am thinking how thankful I am for this way of eating and how good I'm feeling. It's so nice to actually have ankles again and literally see the inflammation leaving my body! MWL for the win!

Woohoo, hello ankle bones! :D
Zoey

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:07 pm

jlewter11 - Welcome! Here's to a great month! Be sure to review the introduction, MWL 10-Point Checklist and MWL guidelines, if you haven't yet done so.

jan_npr - Thank you for raising that question! I think (particularly given the length of this thread & size of the group) that this thread is best used for asking questions, seeking clarifications, and other requests for support, and, of course, the weekly weigh-in and behavioral progress reports. I think a journal might be a great place for interacting with other participants, sharing and commiserating.

Golightly - Something else that can really be helpful - since cravings tend to be for specific foods (often calorie rich and / or higher fat, sugar, salt, &c.), if those particular foods can be removed from the immediate environment, much less "willpower" and effort is required to successfully resist those urges; it is more difficult to go to the store late in the evening than it is to go to the kitchen.

BarbaraLynn - I think it's wonderful you are feeling so well!
Mark Cooper

Postby Kathie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:01 pm

Thank you, Mark and Zoey for your responses. And, now that I think about it, my husband and I have always gravitated towards different foods. He heads for the meat and salty stuff, while I usually look for the desserts. I guess I will take that into account when I'm cooking. And when I'm shopping, since I do most of the shopping, too. I can live without the high fat desserts, I'm sure. Thanks again.
Kathie

Postby texaslil » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi Everyone! This is my first time to post on the McDougall groups. I would love to join this group and I'm excited to have found this resource! there is so much information! I started the Starch Solution diet on June 1st and have lost about 6 lbs so far, which I'm excited about since it has been very hard for me to lose weight over the past 16 years. I'm 48 now. I love eating this way and have been a vegetarian/vegan for the past 5 years. I do get a bit frustrated though that everytime I weigh myself it fluctuates a few pounds up or down.. do others have this issue? It's hard to know where I really am with my weight. Good luck everyone!!! :-)
texaslil

Postby texaslil » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:13 pm

Can anyone out there tell me how to add the weight tracker? It's a fun way to keep track!
texaslil

Postby JeffN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:29 pm

texaslil wrote:Hi Everyone! This is my first time to post on the McDougall groups. I would love to join this group and I'm excited to have found this resource! there is so much information! I started the Starch Solution diet on June 1st and have lost about 6 lbs so far, which I'm excited about since it has been very hard for me to lose weight over the past 16 years. I'm 48 now. I love eating this way and have been a vegetarian/vegan for the past 5 years. I do get a bit frustrated though that everytime I weigh myself it fluctuates a few pounds up or down.. do others have this issue? It's hard to know where I really am with my weight. Good luck everyone!!! :-)

Welcome!

Here is an article on weighing I wrote that will help you better understand our recommendations and fluctuations.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/2018/04/12/ ... -to-weigh/

The Maximum Wright Loss program is a little different then the Starch Solution so make sure you review the guidelines.

MWL Guidelines
MWL guidelines

10 Point Checklist
MWL 10-Point Checklist

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby wildgoose » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:14 pm

texaslil wrote:Can anyone out there tell me how to add the weight tracker? It's a fun way to keep track!

@texaslil I did a post a while ago on how I made my weight loss ticker. You can find it here.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby texaslil » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:03 pm

wildgoose wrote:
texaslil wrote:Can anyone out there tell me how to add the weight tracker? It's a fun way to keep track!

@texaslil I did a post a while ago on how I made my weight loss ticker. You can find it here.

Goose

Thanks Goose!!
texaslil

Postby texaslil » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:25 pm

JeffN wrote:
texaslil wrote:Hi Everyone! This is my first time to post on the McDougall groups. I would love to join this group and I'm excited to have found this resource! there is so much information! I started the Starch Solution diet on June 1st and have lost about 6 lbs so far, which I'm excited about since it has been very hard for me to lose weight over the past 16 years. I'm 48 now. I love eating this way and have been a vegetarian/vegan for the past 5 years. I do get a bit frustrated though that everytime I weigh myself it fluctuates a few pounds up or down.. do others have this issue? It's hard to know where I really am with my weight. Good luck everyone!!! :-)

Welcome!

Here is an article on weighing I wrote that will help you better understand our recommendations and fluctuations.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/2018/04/12/ ... -to-weigh/

The Maximum Wright Loss program is a little different then the Starch Solution so make sure you review the guidelines.

MWL Guidelines
MWL guidelines

10 Point Checklist
MWL 10-Point Checklist

In Health
Jeff

Thank you Jeff for the articles on MWL, they are very helpful! Can you tell me how much fruit you find acceptable? I usually have berries and bananas (a whole small banana) on my oatmeal every morning and then possible a piece of fruit in the afternoon for a snack.

Also, I thought I was a volume eater, but after reading the article you shared, I think I just eat slightly more than I need, a little past the 'full' feeling. I completely identify with needing to feel the stretch receptors in my stomach.

All the best!
texaslil

Postby texaslil » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:34 am

MaShellie wrote:This is my first time participating in MWL Weigh In Group. I have read the 10-point checklist and I think I understand it. Then under the July 2020 resources I also found SNAP Meal Template. Is this template = 1 persons meals per day? Does this template include the Starter for the Healthy Eating Placemat? I love having resources like these, but I'm now confused about how much to eat and when... HELP?!

Hi MaShellie! Can you tell me where to find the SNAP recipes? This sounds like something I would like to check out. Thanks!
texaslil

Postby JennyDianne » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:06 am

Wow, I am a mess.
Dusting myself off now.
JennyDianne

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:15 am

texaslil - Hi and welcome to the group! If you haven't already done so, be sure to review the group introduction and resources for an outline of how everything works and many useful tools, including a link to the recipes using the SNAP template near the bottom of the post. For maximum weight loss, Dr. McDougall provides the following guidance in regard to fruit -
Keep fruits to one or two a day. Fruit is largely simple sugar and people can easily eat 10 to 20 servings a day without a guilty thought – after all, fruit is healthy. In truth, fruits should be thought of as healthy desserts, made largely of sugar and water (but with lots of wholesome nutrients). Vegetable juices (carrot, celery, tomato, etc.) are only slightly less detrimental to your weight loss than fruit juices. Dried fruits are even bigger "calorie bombs." They are concentrated into a small volume by the dehydration processes, so you can eat 20 dried apples in the time it would take you to eat 2 whole fresh apples.
For a more expansive look at the question of limiting fruit, check out this thread.

JennyDianne - Take a moment to assess how you went astray, so you can plan for overcoming those obstacles in the future, treat yourself with compassion because making these changes is hard, and get right back to basics - attending the fundamentals expressed in the checklist & guidelines. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:20 pm

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's weigh-in and seeing everyone's reports! Friday is this group's weigh-in day, and participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the summary that I compile for Saturday evening. This group is all about changing patterns of behavior, so it seems reasonable to me to expect those who choose to participate in the weekly weigh-in to honor that time frame for reporting. In addition to reporting your weight change in pounds, more importantly, please be sure to evaluate your behaviors within the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, if you please.

For more information on why participants are recommended to weigh themselves once a week while in the weight loss phase, check out this excellent and thorough article from Jeff - To Weigh or Not to Weigh

My very best to all, and I'll see you tomorrow!
Mark Cooper

Postby Kalilady » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:24 pm

Can I jump in this week, or should I wait until August? Thanks!
Kalilady

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program