Mary Mini and Easter

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Only one starch?

Postby Losing Linda » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:58 am

Oh I thought one starch meant one for each meal and vegetables, funny how we read things to suit our tastes :oops: Now I think since we are going longer than 10 days that to much boredom might make me binge on something so I consider potatoes as all kinds of potatoes. I will work on this in my mind because everything starts in my mind anyway. Plus it is hard to please DH in that I'm not in need of supplements which I just covienced no need of because of the variety of our new diet.
B- sweet potatoe,1/2 bannana, small orange
L- hash browns, salad, steam kale
D- Bake Potatoe, salad, bunch of steam veretables
Tomatoes
I will walk longer today with my hiking boots 8)
Losing Linda
Losing Linda

Postby ReneeK » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:24 am

B: hashbrowns with A-1; glass of juice

S: clementine; coffee

L: dining out - hopefully mashed potatoes and corn or other steamed veggie

D: mashed potatoes; tomato gravy; large green salad; steamed veggies

I realized the need to have things readily prepared at home. I did not feel like peeling and cooking potatoes to mash last night. I fell into the "convenience food" trap and had ramen noodles without the flavor packet. I now have a potato already sitting in the microwave in case I come home tonight and have the same "don't want to make the effort" attitude. When all I have to do is press a button, I eliminate all other excuses.
ReneeK

Howdy All

Postby Bobbie-Jo » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:54 pm

Hello fellow challengers!

B: Mashed potatoes with unsweetened apple sauce & apple pie spice. Yum!

L: Steamed potatoes & brussell sprouts with wasabi mustard to dip

D: hashbrowns with onions, and some sort of veggie

Keep it up everyone!

Bobbie-Jo
Bobbie-Jo

Want to sTart too

Postby KitKat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:41 pm

Hi, my name is Kat, but since there is another Kat here I will call myself KitKat. Think "Kit Kat Clock" NOT "Kit Kat Candybar" :D

This is perfect timing since for some reason I started eating alot of potatoes last week! Also I am having problems with fatigue and insomnia and I need to do something about it so it's a good time to start.

I have been doing the McDougall plan, only halfway for a long time, I don't eat meat but gave up most dairy. However I tend to binge on dairy occasionally and have eaten alot of fatty foods, chocolate (bad word), and I'm a sugar fiend! Even so being only half-way eating McDougall I've managed to stop gaining weight and maintain my weight over the years, and reduce my cholesterol from 260 to 174. But I want to do the whole thing because I'm overweight (172 lbs) and my cholesterol goal is to get it under 160. I want to get my weight down to 130 and then re-evaluate.

So I'm going to modify the diet a bit to suit myself. I'm in the habit of eating hot rice or oatmeal cereal with fruit for breakfast so I think I'll stick with that. And I like the McDougall instant pea soup so I may have that instead of potatos sometimes. I LOVE potatoes so that shouldn't be a problem!

I really think since this diet is so simple that it will work. My problem is tha t I'm busy and I end up getting alot of high fat frozen dinners or eat take out, and not feeling motivated so I binge on other stuff too. I think trying it with a group might help motivate me, plus it's just easy to fix potatos and I'll be using alot of frozen veggies to keep it simple. Is it potatos or potatoes? I guess I better find out!

I'll be reading the rest of the posts shortly.
Last edited by KitKat on Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

My personal diet plan

Postby KitKat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:52 pm

Thought I'd post my personal revisions and am interested on yours too!

MARY MINI DIET - KITKAT STYLE

Breakfast:

Oatmeal or rice cereal with fruit

Lunch, Dinner & Snacks:

Baked or mashed potatoes, or no-oil fried and
frozen veggies and/or sweet potatoes

with:
salt & pepper
barbeque sauce
ketchup
vegan no-fat gravy
salsa
salad dressing
salt & lemon
salt & lime

or instant Pea soup

other snacks:

one cup decaff coffee in mornings
fruit smoothie
vegetable juice
tea
KitKat

Thanks

Postby KitKat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:57 pm

I just wanted to say thanks to Chaplain Mike for starting this thread, and thanks to Kat for her lemon & salt idea - I got some lemons (and limes) to try on my potatoes - sounds delicious! :-D
KitKat

I finished my biking-

Postby jmgoforth » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:27 pm

I got 40 minutes in on my stationary bike. Can't wait to get out doors. Soon and very soon!
I think we all need to be understanding. Some will make the diet suit their life styles and others will follow it to the letter. But our job is to encourage one another. This is not a contest between each other.
I'm believing the closer I follow the more weight will melt off.
Supper-
Potato
corn
salad

Snack-before bed
potato

I have stopped eating in the night. That is a major break through!!
I credit this with prayer and my potato before I go to bed.
Chaplain Mike
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Yup

Postby KitKat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:39 pm

Yes I agree - if you want to stick to the diet just the way it is - that's great, but I think there's room for a little modification, if that's your preference. I tried to stick with what is within the McDougall plan anyway. Except for the coffiee - that's a no-no, but I don't see myself breaking it any time soon. But I am switching to decaff!
KitKat

back home and ready to go!

Postby slimkat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi Mini-Mary-Mates!
I'm back from visiting family and didn't get too off-track! I ate pretty well meal-wise, but had some "illegal" sweets!
So, I've weighed in (see ticker) and gotten off to a good start today.

Breakfast
8 oz yukon gold potatoes
1/2 c. black beans
2 TB salsa verde
decaf coffee w/ 1/4 c. soy milk

Snack
Apple

Lunch
same as breakfast (minus the coffee) -- must go shopping, because I have no fresh veggies in the fridge!

Dinner
Sweet potato
1/4 c. raisins (I was on the go!)
1 nectar bar

Evening snack
1 nectar bar
1/2 c. black beans w/salsa

All in all, not bad. 1600 cals. (not that I'm restricting, but I enter my foods into fitday to see the nutritional makeup -- carbs, protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals).
I went grocery shopping tonight and bought a TON of veggies.
Tomorrow there will be fruits and veggies in my meal plan!

My plan is to go the white and sweet potato route, with occasional oatmeal for breakfast.
I'm also including beans (in moderation) and McDougall right food or other very low fat/fat free soups to supplement.

We can do this!

Thanks, Chaplain Mike for jump-starting this group.

Best,
SlimKat

P.S. -- Hi, KitKat!
Salt and Malt Vinegar is also a nice potato combo (like fish and chips, but good for you)
Last edited by slimkat on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
[/url]
slimkat

Hey Renee in Indiana!

Postby slimkat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi Renee,
I was just reading through the posts on this thread and read yours.
Does YBB dvd mean Yoga Booty Ballet?
I live in L.A. and used to take classes there -- it is the BEST. Gillian and Teigh are amazing. Unfortunately, it is now GU (gegraphically undesirable) -- meaning traffic is too much of a pain to get there!
Keep it up -- it really works!

Best,
SlimKat
[/url]
slimkat

Postby KitKat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:25 pm

Way to go Kat! Looks like a good plan. I never tried Malt vinegar - I'll have to check it out - thanks!

I also like 1 part rice vinegar with 1 part soy sauce. I put it on salads or on top of the potato. You can also throw in a touch of (dread) sugar, but don't if it's too tempting, it's good without it. You can also try it with low sodium soy sauce if you're trying to reduce salt intake. That reminds me better check my blood pressure. It's not real high but not low enough.

I did my shopping today and got my supplies. And the big, good potatoes were on sale for 40 cents a pound! I'm not superstitious but there are so many signs that this is the perfect time for a potato change....
KitKat

Hawaii

Postby KitKat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:34 pm

Hi Momof4 - you're going to Hawaii - lucky you - wish I was going! :mrgreen: Good luck! And good luck to everyone else too!
KitKat

Day 1

Postby havfaith » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:53 pm

went well. I brought a big yummy salad for lunch and introduced a couple coworkers to jicama and daikon. :-D One took the jicama and said she'd try it even though she was sure she wouldn't like it. Yeah, she changed her mind... :P

B - 1 all-fruit popcicle (got up late, no time to make hashbrowns)
L - big salad full of yummy veggies (too full to eat my potato)
D - 2 small potatoes with salsa - YUM!
S - few pieces of dried mango, banana, handful of jicama pieces, maybe another potato w/salsa if I get the munchies

I saw someone mention salsa on their potatoes and had to try it. Very tasty! I also found mango peach salsa so I'll be trying that as well. We'll see how it goes with potato... I'll have to get up a bit earlier tomorrow so I can make my hashbrowns. The popcicle was just something to hold me over and it's easy to eat while driving. :shock:
Last edited by havfaith on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
havfaith

What no fry bread?!

Postby KitKat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:54 pm

Bonnie - you passed on the fry bread?! Good for you - I don't think I could have done it - you deserve an A+++ for the day!

Well I'll have to catch up on these posts later - I must go see American Idol, yup they brainwashed me - I'm addicted. :nod: Later
Last edited by KitKat on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

help with signature

Postby KitKat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:56 pm

Does anyone know how I can get my ticker signature from '3 fat chicks' to turn into a picture? Thanks
KitKat

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program