Vegie challenge

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby somnolent » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:43 am

Yesterday was the same as the day before (yes, they all know me at Subway), plus I had some green-vegetable soup (2 servings). Now I have a good freezer supply of the beet-carrot soup and the green-vegetable soup.
somnolent

Eve

Postby seestorcoo » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:48 am

had 1 cup broccoli at breakfast, chili at lunch (had some carrots, obviously tomato in it), 1 cup or so of stir fried vegies for supper. Not great but I probably (barely) reached the goal.

Better tomorrow maybe.
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby Letha » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:13 am

I’m afraid I’m gonna come up a bit short today. I figure two servings with my veggie soup for dinner and maybe two servings from the avocado and tomato in my five layer dip. I’ll be cooking up some more cabbage tomorrow.
Letha
Letha

Postby dundas » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:46 pm

I need to get some greens, lettuce, radishes, carrots, lettuce, salad onions, zucchini and more good veggies tomorrow...

I'm finishing up the veggie bin in the fridge today.

A stir fry sounds good..... on rice....

I'm glad I had the Vegetable Barley Soup on hand over the last 3 days...
I finished that up last night. I think I'll try the Summer Potato Salad (in the MWLP book) next.

I've enjoyed this Veggie Challenge.. it has really brought to the forefront the importance of veggies.

BarbAU
dundas

Postby somnolent » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm enjoying this challenge, too. It does not feel natural (yet) to choose so many veggies in a day, so obviously I had not been getting enough before! Yesterday I had a big salad (6 servings) and I also put some spinach into some pilaf I made from a mix (2 servings).
somnolent

Postby Letha » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:20 am

This morning I’m going to make a large pot of curried veggies with a little barley thrown in. Veggies will include onion, celery, garlic, ginger, carrots, cabbage, zucchini, & green beans.
Letha
Letha

Postby somnolent » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:27 am

Yesterday I ran out of lettuce so I made a salad without it (4 servings) and had some more green-vegetable soup (2 servings).
somnolent

Postby dundas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:50 pm

Veggies at brekky... I've seen zucchini in oatmeal (I think that was Letha?) .. do any of you have other ideas how to get veggies into breakfast?

Cheers, BarbAU
dundas

Postby somnolent » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:34 pm

dundas, how about green smoothies? Also, I've had spinach and tomatoes in a tofu scramble, but I'm not sure how to do a tofu scramble McDougall style.
somnolent

Postby dundas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:30 pm

somnolent wrote:dundas, how about green smoothies? Also, I've had spinach and tomatoes in a tofu scramble, but I'm not sure how to do a tofu scramble McDougall style.

Thanks somnolent, that got me thinking and googling..
http://www.recipezaar.com/emerald-Ecsta ... hie-342619

and I'm beginning to think outside the breakfast box and saying that a nice hot veggie soup would be good first thing in the morning! And then it could be blenderized into a puree... faux smoothie!

http://www.lasalle.edu/~jacobsc1/vegetablerecipe.html
A bit of rice milk could be substituted for the yogurt..

http://www.lasalle.edu/~jacobsc1/spinac ... ecipe.html
This looks yummy!

http://www.lasalle.edu/~jacobsc1/celeryrecipe.html

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Cooking/Veg ... ecipes.htm
Lots of different Veggie Smoothies on this one!

BarbAU
dundas

Postby Letha » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:29 am

Today I’m having several servings of the curried veggie I made yesterday. This will be my last post in this thread. I’m starting a new experiment tomorrow where I just eat five foods (oats, blueberries, potatoes, hominy, & carrots) for the sake of simplifying my life. But I’ve enjoyed participating in this thread and wish all of you the very best.
Letha
Letha

Postby dundas » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Made Fried Rice for lunch..... and dinner.... plus large salad at each... and broccoli & brussel sprouts.

The Fried Rice recipe is from the MWLP book, p. 257 and so yummy!
Next time I'll include a bunch of mushrooms and bok choy leaves.

BarbAU
dundas

Postby somnolent » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Yesterday: Subway Veggie Delite (1 serving), baby bok choy in my miso soup (1 serving), and a big salad (6 servings).

Good luck with your experiment, Letha!
somnolent

One of my favorite breakfasts

Postby seestorcoo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:37 pm

frozen hashbrowns cooked with loads of vegies - shredded carrots (buy by the bag), frozen corn, frozen peppers, spinach - those are the basics. Then, I sometimes add leftover vegies or some beans or legumes. A little BBQ sauce or ketchup over it and I love it! I add Mrs. Dash to it also. I always feel like I got a good start on my vegie consumption when I have this for breakfast.
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby somnolent » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Yesterday: green-vegetable soup (2 servings), rice with carrots and pea pods (1 serving), salad (6 servings), and some spinach added to a McDougall Miso Noodle soup cup (.5 serving).

seestorcoo, you inspired me to make some hash browns in my waffle iron last night. :)
somnolent

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program