January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby LynnStarr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:54 am

Down 0.8 this week
Down 1.8 total

Slow but steady, I will take it. I did well with taking my starchy leftovers from dinner to work the next day for lunch. Still no diet soda day #17.
LynnStarr

Postby rukaspooka » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:03 am

Third weigh in for Friday

Starting weight : 169
Weight as of 1/17/2020 : 166.4
Goal weight : 140
Height: 5 foot 5
Pounds Lost this week : .4
Total so far: 2.6 :\

Its not much but I will take it.

Rukaspooka
by rukaspooka
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:20 am

Forum: Maximum Weight Loss Program
Topic: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread
Replies: 467
Views: 10928
rukaspooka

Postby Lynn Fox » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:07 am

Good Weigh-In Morning from Florida's Space Coast!

ME:
01/17/2020: 122.8 (I went up and down several times this week, but landed exactly where I was last Friday.)
01/10/2020: 122.8
01/03/2020: 123.4
01/01/2020: 125.6

(Goal weight: 119)

MY HUSBAND (Ron Fox):
01/17/2020: 203.2
01/10/2020: 205.4
01/03/2020: 208.6
01/01/2020: 210.8

(Goal weight: 195)

Carry On!
~Lynn :D
Lynn Fox

Lynn Fox

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:15 am

Thanks for posting another inspiring success story, Mark! I really love to read those. I like how he said he just at simple whole food and SLOWLY his health and weight improved. I think I want quick weight loss, but his story showed what I have experienced - quick weight loss comes back quickly! Slow and steady wins the race!

Weight Change : -0.2 lbs
Total loss to date: 3.8lbs
Weight:
01/17/2020 204.1
01/10/2020 204.3
01/02/2020 207.9

What I did right this week:
1. Lots of walking. My daughter is visiting and we've been on several hikes and doing lots of sight seeing, so averaged 10k-16k steps each day.
2. Eating when hungry and stopping when full. I've been really listening to my body and honoring my hunger and respecting my fullness. This has been really hard for me in the past but seemed easy this week.
3. I have kept my commitment to not consuming any alcohol, even met a friend for dinner and would have normally gotten at least one glass of wine. I was tempted, but I ordered club soda with lime and that felt great!

What wasn't great this week:
1. Eating out. Since my daughter was here, we have eaten out way more than I normally would. A lot, actually. It's been fun trying new places since we're new to this area, and I have made the best choices possible, (all vegan). But I know restaurant food is higher fat. I am actually thrilled and a little surprised that I lost any weight at all this week, but I'll take it. My daughter leaves on Sunday, so I'll be back to cooking all my meals at home again.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby KathyS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 am

I’m not sure what happened to my post last week but I don’t see it. Sorry to have missed a weeks check in.

-3.0 this week
-6.6 last week

1/01: 202.8
1/03: 198.6 (-4.2)
1/10: 192.0 (-6.6)
1/17: 189.0 (-3.0) No longer obese BMI!

Total: -13.8

What’s working: Walk 1 hour 6 days/week, start meal with a salad, no flour products.
KathyS

Postby Aprincess » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:31 am

Well, I’m not down much, but I’m down. And, I know why it wasn’t more so I’m not even stressed about it. I’ve learned that I really can’t have a handful of nuts 3 or 4 times per week and an occasional slice of avocado (even if no one sees you eat it). :)

Jan. 1 - 210
Jan. 3 - 209
Jan. 10 - 204.7
Jan. 17 - 204.1
Down .6 lbs this week

Onward and Downward!

~ Amy :) :-) :-D :D
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby rlechols » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 am

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a good week! I enjoy reading all your posts...your progress, your pitfalls, what to work on next week. You inspire me!

Here's my weigh in:

1/17/2020: Loss of 2.0 lbs
I was down 2.0 lbs last week as well, so I've lost 4 lbs since beginning 1/1/2020
This is big for me since I was on a plateau for 4 months since September, after losing 50 lbs in 2019.

Things that went well for me this week:
My birthday was Sunday. We had people over. 2 people brought cakes! But one of them was a dear friend who made her cake WFPB. I didn't want to insult her so I took a skinny piece which amounted to about 5 bites. It was made with whole grain flour and dates, but still off plan. Other than that, I stuck to the MWL plan that day.

Otherwise the week went well. Eating tons of veggies, 2-3 fruits a day (sometimes I have berries plus 2 other fruits). No nuts, no soy, no flour, and I do believe that eliminating those things is what is driving my progress after being stalled. I also have been exercising, do an uphill, brisk walk on the treadmill 5 days a week, which amounts to 3-4 miles and gets my blood pumping.

Things to improve on: Eating out. My husband and I take turns cooking, and although he is a SAD eater, he accommodates me at home. However, he does plan to eat out 2-3 times a week on his weeks to cook. I cope with this pretty well, as I have a selection of restaurants where I know I can be compliant, but I always wonder about hidden oil. But I haven't had any bread and have done super well to the point I'm not sure there is room for improvement unless we just don't eat out. On my weeks to cook when I'm in control, we keep eating out to 1 time.

Good luck to everyone! Carry on!
rlechols

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:21 am

Dec 27 - 148.0 (weight from last weigh in from December MWL thread)
Jan 3 - 146.4 ( down 1.6 lbs)
Jan 10 - 147.0 (up 0.6 lbs)
Jan 17 - 146.0 (down 1 lb)
AnnetteW

Postby stillcrazy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:53 am

Down .3 lbs. this morning.

I had a good week so I will just keep doing what I'm doing. Weather has been really awful here so I haven't been outside to walk all week, maybe I would have had a better loss if that weren't true. I am still focused on needing to be totally compliant and I hope to make that something I don't need to be reminding myself of after some time passes. I am still tempted, especially with fake foods that are vegan. Bad food. :\ Vee
stillcrazy

Postby jtaks » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:56 am

-.8 this week

Had major surgery on Monday - so my system is completely out of balance this week - the wonderful people in my life have been preparing compliant food for me as best they can and I am eating what I can when I feel hungry. Today is the first day I have started to feel human again and can get up and move much more than I have been able to. Won't be able to lift over 10 lbs for the next 5 weeks - but the doc did tell me that I could start back on my walking programming - at a reduced level. :?
jtaks

Postby etoirocks » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:17 am

Hey y’all! I was traveling last week and didn’t have access to scales, so I missed weigh in. Just weighed, and I’m down 4.3lbs since 6 Jan. Yay! And that’s with 6 days of travel, so I’ll claim that as a big win. I’m out of town again next week, so wish me luck! My next weigh in will be on the 31st. See you then! <3
etoirocks

Postby NomeOslo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:29 am

deweyswakms wrote:Friday Jan 17, 2020
Happy Birthday to me! Today I'm 73.

Happy Birthday Deweyswakms! :-)

Weight:
1/1 - 148
1/10 - 145.2
1/17 - 143.8
Goal weight: 110 lbs
Down 1.4 lbs

This way of eating makes me feel so good, I really don't have problems using the 10 guidelines (once I decided I would follow them faithfully). Each day I make a conscious decision to eat healthy foods, to heal my body, and keep it as fit as possible (to stay away from excessive doctors visits). I was also able to walk every day; my current goal is 30 minutes 6 times a week.

The only thing I struggled with was wanting "crunchy" things, like crackers (carrots and celery didn't fix it). I did buy the plain Ryvita crackers, but limited them to 2 at a time, and only ate them twice (after a big salad), when the craving felt too much. It satisfied the need for crunch, and then I could move on.

I think my taste buds are beginning to change (yeah!). I can't stop exclaiming how good my potatoes & salad are! ;-)
Good luck all!
“Those who think they have no time for healthy eating will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” Edward Stanley

NomeOslo

Postby pbnew » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:44 am

1/17 down -2.3 lb.
Total loss 4.3 lb
slow but sure, hopefully.
pbnew

Postby Carrieann » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am

January 17th – 205.4
Weight change – -3.3
Starting: December 28 - 211.2
January 3 – 206.7
January 11 – 208.7

Points from MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week— 4-8, 10
Points from MWL Checklist where I need greater attention—1, 2, and 3. Most especially giving up the salt. I have been trying to lower adding salt, but this is my greatest weakness. I need to continue working on adding salad/greens before eating meal. Also, I still need to improve on the 50/50 plate method. I would say, I could definitely improve on number 9 by learning better balance in eating and learning to eat until comfortably full and eating at least 2 meals. There were 3 days I only ate one meal—although I wasn’t that hungry, I did become hungry much later in the evening, thus gauging better balance.

General impressions, comments & observations: I need to work on advanced planning of meals so that number 9 will be much easier to attain. Additionally, I signed up for Imperfect Foods. I was actually surprised that they do delivery to where I live but figured it might be a great way to help add some more variety into what I eat. Here is a link for more info: http://imprfct.us/v/carrie_1281

Carrieann

Postby chaz01 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:07 am

This is my first official weigh in, as I just joined this group this week. I don't have a comparison from last Friday, but my most recent weigh-in before today was Jan 6. So my weight loss for this week represents a nearly two week total, and thus is a little inflated.

Weight Change -5.8lbs. (as a frame of reference, still have at least 100+ lbs to get to an ideal weight)

MWL Checklist where I succeeded...

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
6. Eliminate any added oil.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

MWL Checklist need greater attention...

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. - Definitely needs some work here. Bought a lot of lettuce and salad vegetables, but just haven't had time to prep them.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. - I've reduced my sugar consumption, but haven't eliminated it. I've kept my salt consumption to moderate levels, but have not eliminated it.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). - I've done a great job reducing higher fat plant food, but I can't say eliminate.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. - I think I had a whole wheat bagel or two for a hurried breakfast, but certainly have reduced consumption in this category.
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). - Hard for me to eliminate. I've been drinking ice tea for lunch, mixing the unsweetened tea with the sweetened version.

I've done better than expected this year on the exercise front, which I think has likely helped me even though admittedly I'm not perfect in the dietary areas. I've tried a new approach this year, and it's been helping me a lot to keep nn track (admittedly, unseasonably warmer weather in Ohio in January has helped as well). I've always had a weekly fitness routine, which involves a mix of light jogging, fitness classes, cycling etc, although most of the time I fall short of meeting what i had planned to do. But this year, I've implemented the following rules that I've created for myself...

1) It's OK if I have to modify/cancel my planned activities, but I still need to get a "workout" in every day.
2) A "workout" just has to be a minimum of walking 1 mile. It can certainly be more, if I'm up to it, but it have to go at least 1 mile to count as a workout for that day. (I don't count walking the dog or say shopping, even though I know all activity is good and better than sitting at home - those normally have too much stop/go for me to consider a workout)
3) To count as a "workout", even when doing the minimum, I have to go through the effort of putting my exercise clothes and a good pair of shoes on.

Yesterday was a great example of how this approach helped. I signed up for an exercise class at the gym, but got tied up at work, had to deal with a broken refrigerator, etc, so I realized it wasn't going to happen today. Normally, that might have been followed by some unproductive eating behavior, but I wanted to at least keep my exercise streak going and at least get my mile in for the day. But once I actually started my walk, I started feeling pretty good. Since I had my shoes and exercise gear on, I decided to pick the pace up a bit and turned my 1 mile walk into a 3 mile slow jog/walk, which is actually a pretty good workout for me. Re-inforced by making positive fitness decision helped me make positive food choices for dinner as well (something I typically might not have done last year).

I think the point is, even though I had to adjust my plans, I had a much better outcome than if I would've just bagged my exercise plans all together. I feel like I'm in good enough shape that I can walk a mile without too much stress/concern any time, regardless of the weather, time of day, how busy I am at work. If I end up doing more, great, but if that's all I do, I feel positive at least I've done something that I can build upon for tomorrow.

Hope this helps!

Chuck

Mark Cooper wrote:A reminder / request for tomorrow's weigh-in - if participants would be willing to post weigh-in reports in the format below, I think it will help to provide useful information, allow us to better learn from one another's experiences, and foster group interaction. Feel free to copy and paste the template, if you like.

Weight change +/- in lbs
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support

chaz01

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program