January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby jlowe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:42 am

Jan 17 -2.6 total so far -5.4. Doing well and feeling good.
65 to lose Jan3
Jan 17 59.6 to lose.
jlowe

Postby symbas » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:06 am

Jan10: 160
Jan 17: 158.6
1.4 loss.
I was compliant in all guidelines except for number 10.
With temperatures hovering at minus 39, windchill of minus 42, have done no brisk walking.
I continue to wake up hungry in early hours of morning.
Working on cause, maybe it's just part of decade 6 or something.lol.

Press on regardless.
symbas

Postby Cnmsth » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:09 am

Lost 3 lbs. Not bad at all. Still need to work on resisting sugars, but the beginning efforts are helping.
Cnmsth

Postby brucel1223 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:14 am

Last weigh-in: 238.6
This week's weigh-in: 242.8

+ 4.2 lbs.
brucel1223

Postby moonlight » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:15 am

Weight up +2lbs. :crybaby:

These are the principles that I have finally learned to follow 90% of the time:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.

These are the principles I follow when I'm home but struggle with when I eat in restaurants:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
6. Eliminate any added oil.

This point I have not succeeded in putting into practice. I continue to try to find a way to make it consistent.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

This past week I have felt really good about my home organization and meal planning. I had more evening meals in restaurants than I did at home. I think changing this or changing how I deal with eating out will help me with my weight loss goal.

I want to thank everyone that is participating in this thread. It is exciting to share this all encompassing life change with you. It is not an insignificant lifestyle change. Kudos to us all who are brave enough to take on the challenge. Thank you to Mark, JeffN, and Wildgoose for your encouraging support! :D
moonlight

Postby wildgoose » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:25 am

BeTrue01 wrote:After dinner yesterday night we had left over sweet potato/spinach soup and 2 slices of rye at 6:00pm. Then I'd gone for rehearsals and came back at 9pm. Drank water but by 10:30pm, I was hungry again. I ignored the signals and went to bed.
Tonight, I made Japanese sweet potato noodles water stir fry with lots of vegetables and now it's 10:30pm and I'm hungry again :x

Why doesn't the dinner food keep me going through the night? Do any of you feel hungry 4 hours after dinner? And what do you snack on to assuage the hunger?

@BeTrue01, it looks like you may not be having enough starch, either for dinner or earlier in the day. Don’t know how much sweet potato you’re getting in the soup and stir fry, but it may be too little, and bread is definitely not a good primary starch source (especially for MWL). Usually when I get hungry late, it’s because I didn’t have enough starch during the day.

For example, my dinner last night: 1 cup bisque soup (made myself — throw cauliflower, broccoli, onion, garlic, water or low sodium veggie broth and some seasoning in the Instant Pot, pressure cook 8 min, allow to release naturally, then hit it with a stick blender till thick but still a bit chunky). 1 large Hannah yam (and I mean large — the size of my hand). 1 bag (1 lb.) of stir fry vegetables, water-sautéed with onion and garlic. 1 Apple. I wasn’t hungry late. :lol: I eat a lot at meals!

I normally don’t snack, but if I were too hungry to go to sleep for some reason, I’d have a piece of cold sweet potato. I always have some in the fridge, and that knocks the hunger down well for me.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby JaBee » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:36 am

1/18/2020 down 2#, weight 202.6

Initial goal less than 200#
JaBee

Postby ltolar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:37 am

Jan 17: -2.40

I focused on reducing added sugars and oil this week. My husband is the chef in the family. He is trying to limit the oil, but feels compelled to add a little during some preparation. I am grateful for all that he does to support me.

I need to focus on enjoying consistent exercise.

Thank you for your guidance!
ltolar

Postby wildgoose » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:47 am

moonlight wrote:Weight up +2lbs. :crybaby:
These are the principles I follow when I'm home but struggle with when I eat in restaurants:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
This past week I have felt really good about my home organization and meal planning. I had more evening meals in restaurants than I did at home. I think changing this or changing how I deal with eating out will help me with my weight loss goal.

@moonlight, you are totally on track with your observations. It’s the restaurants. I’d be willing to bet that part of your weight "gain" was water weight from the salt that restaurants pour into the food. The rest of the CRAP (Calorie Rich and Processed) food you mention doesn’t help either, as you well know.

So congratulations on your home organization and planning! You did a great job on what you can control. The challenge now is to see how much control you can take over the rest of your meals.

You probably can’t do what I did and pretty much say no to restaurants. I can count on one hand the number of meals I’ve had out in the last 9 months, except when I was traveling (and even then, restaurant meals were Sweet Tomatoes salad bar, with sweet potatoes from the hot bar or rice I brought in). Can you cut down the number of restaurant meals? Can you pre-eat? Can you bring your own salad dressing and "supplemental" compliant food? Can you check the menu in advance and decide EXACTLY what you’re going to have, so you won’t be tempted by a spur of the moment choice that’s off-plan but sounds SO GOOD!?

It takes planning and extra work, and yes, maybe putting up with a few raised eyebrows (but which would you rather your friends think — that you’re a little weird or that you’re more than a little overweight?).

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby moonlight » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:02 am

wildgoose wrote:
moonlight wrote:Weight up +2lbs. :crybaby:

@moonlight, you are totally on track with your observations. It’s the restaurants. I’d be willing to bet that part of your weight "gain" was water weight from the salt that restaurants pour into the food. The rest of the CRAP (Calorie Rich and Processed) food you mention doesn’t help either, as you well know.

So congratulations on your home organization and planning! You did a great job on what you can control. The challenge now is to see how much control you can take over the rest of your meals.

You probably can’t do what I did and pretty much say no to restaurants. I can count on one hand the number of meals I’ve had out in the last 9 months, except when I was traveling (and even then, restaurant meals were Sweet Tomatoes salad bar, with sweet potatoes from the hot bar or rice I brought in). Can you cut down the number of restaurant meals? Can you pre-eat? Can you bring your own salad dressing and "supplemental" compliant food? Can you check the menu in advance and decide EXACTLY what you’re going to have, so you won’t be tempted by a spur of the moment choice that’s off-plan but sounds SO GOOD!?

It takes planning and extra work, and yes, maybe putting up with a few raised eyebrows (but which would you rather your friends think — that you’re a little weird or that you’re more than a little overweight?).

Goose

Thanks, Wildgoose, for your encouragement. I definitely ate at restaurants this week more than I do normally. It's good to hear a review of some good strategies. I've used some of the ones you mention. It's just discipline. Last night I sat with friends at a restaurant and kept eating tortilla chips even though I wasn't hungry. I'd stop for a while then start nibbling again. Seeing the weight go back up got my attention. I'm more committed to losing weight than staying in the Pleasure Trap. Generally, I'm not concerned about appearing weird with my friends or about how they view my appearance. However, I like presenting myself as a disciplined, principled person who can adhere to my intentions! Onward!! :)
moonlight

Postby Butterfly043 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:09 am

Good Morning. I didn't do so well this past week. I am back up to where I was with the first weigh-in, though I've been up and down all thru the week, kind of like a roulette wheel, wondering where it would stop on weigh in day. I had to make an appointment with my doctor mid week, because I'm just so hungry all of the time, and I know that I am eating way more than I should. My problem there is that my doctor doesn't understand the whole food plant based way of eating at all even after I explained it to him. Even after my triglycerides are still high, he tells me it's 85 to 90 percent genetics. Mine is just that I eat more than I need, I just know it in my heart, not genetics. He was still telling me I needed to eat lean meats, fish, use olive oil and eat cheese to get enough protein, and then I wouldn't be hungry. Ughhhhh. I think I might take him a copy of Forks over Knives next time, because he doesn't understand or really know what I am talking about, and it might give him some new perspective if he's open to it. Anyway, I didn't even bother to argue about what he told me to eat, but just chalked up the visit as a waste of time and effort, as that appointment was of no help to me at all. I do have some new thoughts on how to maybe conquer my hunger and I'm going to work on those this week, plus I'm going to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods with my daughter today to browse their shelves. Being hungry all the time is a real battle for me day after day, but maybe I'll do better next week.

Back to where I was on 1st weigh in on January 3rd. Up 1 pound
Butterfly043

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:37 am

wildgoose wrote:
BeTrue01 wrote:
@BeTrue01, it looks like you may not be having enough starch, either for dinner or earlier in the day.

Goose

It took me awhile to trust that all the potatoes (or rice or whatever starches you like) WILL keep me feeling full and I will still lose weight. One of my favorite dinner meals is mashed potatoes with mashed carrots, peas and corn. Very comforting and filling. I go to bed by 9pm after eating a dinner meal at 6pm ish. Good luck.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:45 am

Butterfly043 wrote:Good Morning. I didn't do so well this past week. I am back up to where I was with the first weigh-in, though I've been up and down all thru the week,

Butterfly, I have been eating whole foods/plants for years and did lose maybe 20# at 1st. I came back to 100% commit to MWL this past July because I was tired of the dance up/down/all around trying to lose more weight. Truth is I had gotten sloppy in my way of eating. At first it took me awhile to get into the groove of eating to the MWL guidelines. I tried different starches to find out what works best for me. Give yourself time to experiment with the many recipes available (got the quick & easy MWL cookbook?), and what routine works for you. There is no need to be hungry all the time. You will find things to keep on hand when you feel hungry. For me, I keep roasted sweet potatoes in the fridge. I have a large bag of potatoes on hand. And I keep cooked rice in the fridge. I too can be an emotional eater, so that's just a problem you can solve. You are in control, not the food. Find things you can eat when you need to that are compliant. For me, I learned to munch on carrots or celery sticks. Apple slices are great too. And, for me, I know what triggers my need to eat: I am tired or in pain (arthritis, old achy body etc), or angry. So listen to what your 'hunger' is telling you. Your body is trying to talk to you. Good luck. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:55 am

chaz01 wrote:This is my first official weigh in, as I just joined this group this week.

MWL Checklist need greater attention...

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. - Definitely needs some work here.

I think you had a very successful week! Especially honoring your promise to yourself that you would exercise. A walk is a wonderful way to move the body, get outside, etc.

I hear you on #1. I love salads but am lazy, I buy the many ingredients but fail to prep them, eventually tossing them out. What a waste of resources. So now I give myself permission to buy a small salad at the salad bar every few days. It may be more $$ but then how much $ have I thrown out? I do get in dark leafy greens daily by steaming spinach or broccoli, adding collard greens etc to other recipes.

Keep going! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 am

Aprincess wrote:Well, I’m not down much, but I’m down. And, I know why it wasn’t more so I’m not even stressed about it. I’ve learned that I really can’t have a handful of nuts 3 or 4 times per week

I hear you on those nuts! I really went sideways last week, gained a lb (already gone), and the salty cashews are gone too!

Onward!
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program