July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby abible » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:32 am

Last Week: 193.0 pounds
This Week: 192.9 pounds
Weight Loss: -0.1 pounds

Well, at least it has a minus sign. :)

No exercise days this week.
Salt remains a problem. Not adding any is very difficult for me. Working on it.
Sticking with the program pretty well during the day, but failing in the evening. Will try to go to bed earlier. :)

Nice to see so many new people. Hope Mark holds up under the load.

Cheers to all,
tony
abible

Postby goal140 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 am

Hi everyone,

I feel like a broken record, my issue deals with compliance, eating things that are not on the program.
It usually involves sweets. I was compliant until last night, and caved into eating a slice of cheesecake. It was so sweet that I had to chase it with some salty tortilla chips. The cheesecake wasn’t even that good!

Last week: 162.2
This week: 161.2
Loss: 1 lb.

Thanks Mark, for all you do. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!
goal140

Postby Violet3135 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:11 pm

July 1: 183
July 10:179
Net loss: 4 lbs
I am feeling well and hope you all are too. I am not a big personal sharer but rather a listener (occupational hazard), so posting on this public board is a big leap for me. My thoughts this week are that people in my life are not so interested in my change in eating habits, which is perfectly wonderful for me. Therefore, discovering this plan feels like a fabulous secret to me. It is nice to know they are others out there with me who get it. I want to thank the moderators and fellow participants for being on this journey with me.
This week:
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. Yes. Some days I feel like I am eating too much starch in comparison to green/ yellow veggies. What category are carrots in?

Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. Still using salt but not as much.

Eliminate all animal foods. Yes

Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Yes

Eliminate any added oil. Yes

Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. Yes

Don't drink your calories. Yes, water only except for coffee and herbal tea

Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Yes, some days I feel like I overeat at night a little. I think it is because once I stop eating I fast till morning. I may have to think about this more.

Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. More days than not I hit my 10,000 steps which is good for me for now ( I was an avid exerciser derailed by a series of arthritic issues so the fact that I am now moving regularly is wonderful)
Violet3135

Postby wildgoose » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:14 pm

abible wrote:Salt remains a problem. Not adding any is very difficult for me. Working on it.

Tony, I was a heavy salt user too. I completely cut it out (the threat of having to go on blood pressure meds added to my motivation), and nothing tasted right. Dull, boring, blah. It took about a month to neuroadapt, so that food tasted good and I didn’t want to salt everything. But one thing I learned is that to get that month, I had to be really compliant. Any salt that came in to my food messed up the timeline.

It did work, though. I’ve been free of added salt (no high-sodium processed food either) for over a year now, and I don’t miss it. My weight and my blood pressure are better off without it, too.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Judy_Bell » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:25 pm

Hi All,
I hope everyone is having success this week.
Myself, I dropped 1.5 pounds AND managed to exercise ONE time! (Yes, not a lot for most folks, but a miracle for me, if you've been reading my posts for the last 3 months!)
So, yes, I finally managed to exercise one time this week. I got up extra early, and walked about 2 miles before eating breakfast.
As far as the rest of the points go, I've done fairly well this week.
Who is it that grades their meals on a 100 point scale? I think I need to go back and re-read their posts to figure out how to do that.

1. Start each meal with soup, salad, or fruit 80% I have trouble with this at breakfast, as I usually just eat oatmeal.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for meals, filling half the plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose Fruit for dessert 100%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. 100%
4. Eliminate all animal foods 99.95% (I had a couple of bites of filet mignon on 4th of July, but ate correctly the rest of the week)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy) 99.90% (19/21 meals were perfect) I did make potato salad last Saturday, which was not 100% cashew based, but had a portion of aquafaba. But it did have cashews, so not 100%
6. Eliminate added oil 100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, air popped popcorn, and dried fruits 99.85% (Had 3 breakfasts of oatmeal that had some dried cranberries)
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices and sugar sweetened beverages) 99.90% (2 beet smoothies, one for breakfast, and one for a snack)
9. Follow these principals, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve and Don’t Stuff! 100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise daily. 14% (1 day of exercise, but it's a start!) :D
Judy_Bell

Postby wstokes » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:57 pm

-.8 lbs
No insights to offer this week, other than my wife has observed my portions are smaller (I had no conscious intention to do this!)
From July 1-11 I have ridden the Peloton bike every day, averaging 543 cal's per workout.
wstokes

Postby soulforged » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:00 pm

Last week: 246.8 lbs
This week: 244 lbs
Lost: 2.8 lbs

Definitely happy to have lost almost 3 lbs in the first week! It's definitely getting easier to stick with a smaller selection of foods and I find myself thinking about what to eat/planning a lot less than before.

I was good with everything (even looking forward to my breakfast salads now!) except:

Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. I am still having some maple syrup in my oats in the morning, I find them so bland without. Any tips from anyone? Also having difficulty eliminating salt, though I do not cook with it anymore, just a sprinkle before I eat.

Don't drink your calories. Only a couple sips of some orange juice that my wife had, but I know I don't need to. Will improve this week.

Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. This one wasn't so good for me this week. A lot of stormy weather this past week and getting over a foot/ankle injury kept me off my feet. Will be getting this one taken care of this week.

A couple of days I had an extra serving or two of fruit, so I will also be focused on keeping that at 2 per day.

Hope everyone has a good week!
soulforged

Postby Tobinterri » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:01 pm

How do I get my other posts from the July group? If I go to "view your posts" it takes me to my posts in the Journal forum. This site is really hard to navigate. Nowhere can I find the July 2020 MWL group unless I go to my Journal and find a post from someone else that gives me a place to get to this one. I am finding that I spend too much time just searching. Better spent cooking or reading information elsewhere. However, I want the accountability so I will stick with it through July. :(
Tobinterri

Postby babajoof » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:08 pm

Weight Change: -4.0 pounds
Last Week: 221.0 pounds
This Week: 217.0 pounds

I've been able to follow most of the guidelines with the exceptions of 1, 2, and 6. I need to focus more on the salads and soups as I find myself overindulging on starches. My main weakness is beans and rice. I need to plan better, so this weekend my goal is to get better organized by getting foods on hand and recipes ready. I also need to find an oil and seed-free salad dressing I like.

I've done well with exercising as I've gotten back into jogging recently. I've been trying to do low-heart rate training (slow running) and have gotten to where I've been able to run five miles without stopping. However, since the other day I've been having some knee pain and have taken three consecutive days off. Hopefully it's just temporary and I can get back to it soon as I really like jogging.
babajoof

Postby karenjaq » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:10 pm

Current weight: 229
Change this week: down .5 lbs.

I did good on most of the steps but I am still struggling with eating soup or salad before meals. I find that I get full on this and then don't eat enough starch so then I am hungry soon after. So I will be working on trying to figure out how to make this step work for me.
Highest weight: 272 (2012)
MWL Starting weight: 230.5 (July 2020)
Interim goal weight: 199 (Can't remember the last time I was below 200!)
Goal weight: 150
karenjaq

Postby francnm » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Date Weight
7/23/2019 169.0
7/01/2020 127.8
7/03/2020 (1st weigh-in) 126.4 - 1 lbs
7/10/2020 (2nd weigh-in) 123.4 - 3 lbs

10-Point Checklist for MWL (successes and need more attention)
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :)
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. Choose fruit for dessert. :)
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. :)
4. Eliminate all animal foods. :)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. :( I tried a a soy curl (I was curious, as I had never seen or eaten one)
6. Eliminate any added oil. :)
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :)
8. Don't drink your calories. :)
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :)
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :( I averaged 30+ minutes a day over the week, but a couple days I spent too long on the computer and not enough time walking or on my rebounder.

The resources by Jeff Novak and Dr. Doug Lyle are very helpful and interesting. I had viewed many of them before and profited by watching several of them again. I am also watching Dr. McDougall’s Dietary Therapy Course Videos which are kindly offered free of charge until August 1, 2020 (to sign-up go to https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/prog ... y-therapy/).

I am finding reading the postings by others in this group helpful, as it is helpful to be part of a group working on similar goals.
Last edited by francnm on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
francnm

Mark's Replies for July 10 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:55 pm

Kalilady - Sure! Jump right in - be sure to review the introduction, MWL guidelines & resources. Then just get started with MWL 10-Point Checklist.

LesleyMills - Way to go adhering to the guidelines and congrats on that substantial loss!
JeffN wrote:Coffee & Tea
While there may be Individual reasons to avoid these, they are not an issue for the MWL program. There is no recommendation to avoid them as part of the MWL program. We serve both decaf and regular tea at the program and have no qualms if someone walks to Starbucks and gets a cup of coffee.
You appear to be doing quite well! Just keep progressing as best you can, concentrating on eating the recommended foods (and omitting those that are not recommended) and try not to get too caught up in the fine details. Would it help to try 1/2 a bowl of soup to start your meal? You'll get the balance that works for you fine-tuned over time. Keep at it!

vegyluvver -
vegyluvver wrote:It is possible for me to have delicious foods all day and not go off the diet
That seems important, Val! Now, start looking for ways to make it as easy as possible for your days to look like that. Let me applaud your decision to check-in and report at the end of a less adherent week. Enduring these setbacks along with their typical effect, and learning the importance of the behavioral changes we need to make is a useful part of the process. A renewed focus on the guidelines, moving forward with enthusiasm, is a valuable lesson to take.

Corey M - Welcome! Have a great day getting started!

PonysPlants - Kudos! That seems like a pretty good week to me! I totally agree that a review against the MWL 10-Point Checklist is really helpful for bringing to light areas where we have the opportunity for improvement. With that outline, you have a good idea of where to direct your efforts for the week to come.

Cathmc - I think it's natural to feel some disappointment when the results we anticipate exceed the particular objective measure we are observing. My favored metric is adherence to the MWL 10-Point Checklist, since those behaviors are what actually deliver sustainable weight loss over the duration - by that measure you had an outstanding week! Try not to be disappointed with "only" 1 lb lost - if you continue in the "pound-a-week" club, you could be 10 lbs lighter in a month and a half. Blended soups are fine. Jeff offers some recommendations for gas & bloating -
JeffN wrote:Your body is adjusting and there are a few things you can do to minimize the resulting gas as your body adjusts.
.. there are several foods that are known to be the most likely culprits contributing to this issue: they are raw vegetables, cruciferous vegetables (cabbage family -broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, etc), and beans. If someone is experiencing any gas or bloating, there are a few steps they can take to make the transition easier.

1) Reduce, but do not eliminate, the amount of the foods that may cause the most bloating and gas. Once things have settled down you can increase their amounts gradually.

2) Thoroughly cook these foods as cooking helps to soften and break down the fiber, making it easier to digest. This is especially helpful in regard to raw vegetables and cruciferous vegetables.

3) Limit beans to 1 cup a day. Sprouting and/or soaking beans, discarding the soak water and also rinsing and draining them a few times before cooking them may help to reduce the indigestible sugars in bean.

4) you can try taking a supplement, for a limited time, that contains the enzyme that will help with the issue. Two such products I recommend (and we use at the 10-Day) are

"Say Yes To Beans Enzyme Complex" by Nature's Plus
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00028N2YG/re ... 8DbVJ91VTN

“BeanAssist”
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAVAUH2/re ... 8DbH9N0DMG

You may have to try both as they work differently

In Health
Jeff

josietheschnauzer - Wow! Another week of excellent efforts delivering impressive results!

Abe - Isn't that change in palate striking? It is a real testament to how amazingly flavorful health-supporting foods can be, given adequate time for adjustment. When it feels like you are overeating sweet potatoes, are you continuing to eat them to the point of being physically uncomfortable? You might perhaps try cutting or breaking them up and eating them mixed in with regular potatoes and non-starchy vegetables, so you get a bit of everything with each bite. Of course, if they feel like a real problem, it would be fine to replace them with any of the other recommended starches. Just keep doing the best you can. :)

Cathy Ann - Kudos for an excellent week of progress and that significant loss! Your goal for the coming week seems spot-on!

April H. - Congratulations on your successes, partial or otherwise! It isn't easy to make these changes! :D Applying the checklist each time you eat will absolutely serve you well.

jan_npr - Yahoo! That is a great-looking week! Congratulations to your husband for attaining that meaningful milestone and to you as well, for all your diligent efforts. I imagine the mutual support you are providing makes for an enjoyable path toward your new style of living. :nod:

jackcook82 - Potatoes with mushrooms, cabbage and onions sounds delicious! It looks like you are doing great; keep up those efforts, aiming for continued gradual improvement where it feels appropriate.

Dennis h - Good for you getting right to work with that adjusting and planning - those efforts are essential for supporting adherence; and that work showed up on the scale! If you're eating your oatmeal with an equal volume of fruit, I would say you're fulfilling the spirit of the 50/50 guideline.

Kathie - Along with that big drop in weight, reduced swelling and improved mobility are wonderful non-scale victories! You've done a great job focusing on the recommended behaviors, and I particularly applaud you for recognizing those cookies could be particularly troublesome for you, and getting them out of your environment. I imagine it may take your husband some time to adjust - would it help to have a gentle conversation with him, explaining that frequently bringing up food feels a bit distracting for you right now? Maybe you two could have some sort of mutual joke you share for those times when food comes up - I used to joke with my brother about getting by on "twigs, leaves and stems." :)

Waterfit - How exciting! Exercise can bring many benefits, but getting the food and associated behaviors right typically has the biggest influence on weight loss. Sorry to hear you were feeling a bit ill - be gentle with yourself and just keep on doing your best as you navigate that learning curve.

JennyDianne - Holidays and other celebratory occasions can often lead to missteps and challenges, I suspect because of the many personal and cultural traditions linking those celebrations to specific food choices and behaviors. Take what lessons you can from these challenges; renewed attention to the MWL guidelines is always the surest path forward. If you ever need to find your own posts, just click on your own username, or the "user control panel" at the top of the page which will bring you to an option for "show your posts," as well as links to the forum and topic where you have been most active. To see responses, try a search for your own username using the forum search box.

minisweet - Nice loss, Sarah! Your attention to the checklist shows the good groove you've started carving out for yourself. I think there is something to be said for concentrating on changes that feel attainable, building our confidence that we have those figured out, and refocusing to tackle the next challenge. If there is a particular form of exercise you've enjoyed in the past, perhaps just work toward including that on a trial basis, and see how it goes.

AnnetteW - Woo-hoo! Look at that scale drop! Doing as well as we are able is all we can realistically expect of ourselves. Enjoy your guests and keep attending to your behaviors with the care that feels congruent with your goals.

Wfpb2020 - Kudos! I imagine those results are encouraging, and your assessment gives you some areas you can work on for continuing progress.

JaydaMax - I agree - when it comes to weight loss, getting the food right makes a big difference! You deserve credit for keeping quite active, if you can bring the same level of attention and effort to the remaining 9 points, imagine what you might achieve. If you can, arrange things so you have the recommended foods easily at hand - that way, each time you have one of those choices to make, choosing the recommended foods should be as easy as you are able to make it.

VNiehoff - Nice loss! That sounds like you are starting to establish a manageable routine that is working for you!

BarbaraLynn - That is great! You seem to have done excellent work building those habits and now they are serving you well. Your gradual approach to adding exercise in a manner that feels safe and comfortable for you seems wise.

Amberlina - I'm delighted to hear you feel great! I think continuous improvement is a useful target; figuring out how to make everything work within the constraints of our individual circumstances can definitely require some time and experimentation, but once you get that routine solidly established it is smoother sailing.

GreenFroG - Awesome work concentrating on the recommended behaviors, keeping yourself motivated, and continuing to improve! Nicely done.

rlechols - I'm sure that was a VERY pleasant surprise! And WOW, Rachel! 74 lbs total! That is fantastic! Your description of the planning and preparation you dedicated to maintain the habits you have established while away from home is very instructive. That calendar is a great document of your efforts.
rlechols wrote:So my message is, CONSISTENCY WORKS!! When you don't accomplish what you set out to do, learn how to do better next time and keep trying. Don't give up! Also, tracking your progress over a period of time can really show you how far you have come, and is very encouraging.
Excellent advice! :D

chaz01 - No issues or concerns is always nice to hear, Chuck! Keep that progress going well! :thumbsup:

AmandaL - Try not to let a single weigh-in cast a shadow over your efforts to make changes. I've found the best way to keep myself accountable is by reviewing the MWL 10-Point Checklist each time I have the opportunity.

Merwoman - Those changes you succeeding in making are big ones and not easy - good for you! Since you have a clear list other behaviors to work on, you can plan and prepare now for how you'll approach them over the course of the coming days.

OrangeBird - Fantastic! Great attention to the fundamental principles! On those occasions when you make a meal of salad, be sure to include starch in those salads, as well (if you weren't already doing so). Big :thumbsup: for eliminating that creamer! Do you have a particular type of exercise you are scheduling in for the week ahead?

cmurphy - Apart from that single deviation, it sounds like you adhered very closely to the guidelines. :thumbsup: Wildgoose offers some great ideas for sauces/toppings, and if you scroll through the MWL recipes, there are a number of sauces - see if any strike your fancy. I enjoy the Curry Tomato Sauce.

Mmcg0306 - Making these changes is very challenging, and it can be easy to revert to previous patterns; the more effort you can put toward planning and food preparation when you have the opportunity, the easier that makes it to remain adherent when hurdles arise. I love taking those postprandial walks - I'm sure your dog is appreciative, too!

Vegeloon - YAY! That is indeed a very happy report to read! You are doing great on most points, with a clear outline for where greater attention is likely to pay off. If you can, try not to think about "portion control;" focus on eating the recommended foods, in the manner described by the checklist, and your diet is guaranteed to be quite calorie dilute - so be sure you are eating whatever amount of food leaves you feeling comfortable and satiated. With this way of eating, that may seem like a very substantial volume of food. :)

Golightly - Those are thrilling results! That looks like a successful week concentrating on the checklist - keep overcoming those cravings with adherent foods and you can look forward to their coming "extinction."

Adriana - Averaging 1.5 lbs a week seems right on track! Enjoy that momentum and feeling awesome!

MaShellie - It sounds like you are doing great, and your approach to cooking for immediate family who aren't practicing this way of eating sounds very similar to my own. The best way to maintain those spirits is to not let yourself become too hungry. Something I found helpful in keeping myself motivated was a daily "check-in" against the MWL 10-Point Checklist and really making a point of noting how well I adhered and giving myself credit / taking pride when I did an excellent job. It also really helped me to try and think about all that troublesome junk as "not food," and remind myself that I choose to eat foods that support my health and well-being.

Trish - Cheers to a good week! I'm glad the weekly reporting feels helpful for keeping yourself on track. Just to clarify, since tempeh is soy, it is not recommended for MWL.
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Give yourself a little time to adjust to this new dietary pattern, and just be mindful to eat whenever you do feel hungry.

SaladDays - Nice loss! That sounds like you've made good progress, and continuing to work on those areas you note should support further progress.

Pattyj115 - YaY!! You are giving very diligent attention to the recommended behaviors! I'm glad you are picking up a few "pointers" that feel valuable. I would very much encourage you to let go of trying to count calories, for all the reasons Jeff outlines in How to Successfully Count Calories! Keep up your conscientious efforts. :thumbsup:

Joannasophia - Congratulations! Isn't it great to enjoy delicious, satiating meals and still lose weight? It works!

Busy-B - I'm sure that feedback from the scale is very encouraging! It is important to note, for all participants, so we are all on the same path, The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss - the original book, was updated with the guidelines provided in the January 2005 newsletter and has been further condensed into the MWL 10-Point Checklist, which together provide the most current program information. So the updated recommendation for MWL is
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
The 1/3 to 2/3 "Hasty" ratio was given up, as it was leading to insufficient satiety and binging; the current recommendations have proven to be more sustainable. I think the degree to which the MWL recommendations have been fine-tuned, tested and updated over years of application is a real hallmark of their ongoing value in the present. I absolutely LOVE Hatch chiles! Enjoy!

Hope410 - Because of your attention to the guidelines, last week's weight gain has evaporated already! Noting and remembering the results of past choices is exactly how we motivate ourselves to continue to change - nice work "nipping" those exceptions before they could proliferate.

Corey M - I wish you an excellent Day 1, making a start with the MWL 10-Point Checklist!

Gspeech3 - Hang in there, Gayle! You are so right that these are big lifestyle changes, requiring continuing effort and attention to our daily pattern of behavior. Staying positive always helps! :)

Beeshell - You are making real progress! I think framing these changes in behavior as long term shifts in lifestyle, and approaching them in a fashion where continuing progress feels attainable without getting discouraged has real value. It is definitely a marathon, rather than a sprint.

abible - A minus beats a plus, Tony! Keep in mind that a sprinkle of salt at the table is perfectly acceptable within the guidelines. Something that I've observed with "evening failure," it can often be a signal to be sure and include adequate starches earlier in the day. Willpower is always stronger when we aren't too hungry. :)

goal140 - Whenever you feel hungry, do your very best to eat of the recommended foods, in the recommended manner - that is the best way to fortify yourself against cravings. Sometimes, having that vivid realization that a tempting food didn't actually taste "that good" / didn't fulfill the vision the cravings inspired can be helpful in making future choices. When you next feel tempted, try to call to mind that experience.

Violet3135 - Thank you for making that big leap in reporting here! I'm very glad to hear you are feeling well and enjoying that "fabulous secret." :D Carrots are non-starchy vegetables, and the 50/50 is by visual volume, so it is fine to just "eyeball" the ratio. You are doing great!

Judy_Bell - WOO-HOO! You followed through on getting in at least one day's exercise! Onward for some additional days ahead. I realize a more expansive "grading scale" may seem tempting, but the MWL 10-Point Checklist is designed to be clear and concrete - we either adhered to a particular point, or we didn't, so we're faced with an honest assessment of our pattern of behavior. You don't have to aim for perfection, but rather strive to do the best you can under a given set of circumstances. :)

wstokes - It sounds like that daily Peloton ride is becoming a habit! Keep attending to the recommended behaviors and you'll keep those steady results rolling in.

soulforged - I'm glad to hear your weigh-in result inspired happiness!
JeffN wrote:In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out.
JeffN wrote:- Salt, Sugar
We are not a S-S free program. We only ask you to reduce the amount to a true condiment, and to just sprinkle it on your food at the table. You don't have to eliminate them if they are not a problem for you. Understand that for many people, the real issue is not sugar (or salt) per se, but how they are consumed and with what company. Most sugar is consumed as liquid calories (sugar sweetened beverages, sports and energy drinks) or as part of ultra processed highly palatable food (donuts, cupcakes, brownies, etc). Same with salt. Most all the salt we consume is in the form of ultra processed foods.
Most people find that when they eliminate the sugar filled liquid calories and the ultra processed foods that are high in sugar, salt and are also high in fat and calorie density, they can use salt and/or sugar as a condiment without a problem
So, if a sprinkle of salt or sugar (or a drizzle of maple syrup) helps you choose to eat the recommended foods, that is fine.

Tobinterri - Congratulations for losing 2 lbs! Here is a list of the 4 posts you have made in the MWL subforum. To find this thread, starting from the main discussion board index page, scroll down and click "Maximum Weight Loss Program." This thread will be a few posts down from the top, titled "July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group." Perhaps try saving it as a bookmark. I would encourage you to concentrate on doing your very best to simply follow the MWL 10-Point Checklist, as it is written - that is the most effective way to support continuing, consistent results.

babajoof - That's great progress! Check out some of the dressings included in the list of MWL recipes, to get ideas for an adherent salad dressing. I'm partial to Jeff's favorite dressing.

karenjaq - Hitting the mark on 9/10 points is outstanding! Just do the best you can, adjusting the preload to the amount that works for you. It can take some time and adjustment to get things dialed-in, but eating the recommended foods whenever you're hungry, until comfortably full is of paramount importance.

francnm - That appears to be an excellent week of attention to the recommended behaviors! Well done! I'm very pleased to hear you are finding the many resources available on the website helpful. Keep up those diligent efforts!
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby rsmith0809 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:34 pm

July 3: 151.6
July 10: 151.0
Weight Change: -.6

Last week I struggled with reducing salt and fruit and not stuffing myself. I did much better in those areas this week, but gave into my cravings for peanut butter and sweets a few times after getting off track on the 4th. Hence the small amount of weight loss. I did well with the rest of the guidelines and plan to work on my compliance in eliminating calorie dense plant food in the coming weeks.
rsmith0809

Postby K-Squared » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Weight Loss: - 2.6
Starting Weight: 163.7
Current Weight: 159.2

Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. This was a bit harder this week! I was consistent at dinner, but breakfast and lunch were tricky due to use being out on the water everyday.
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. I am 100% on this one!
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. I have been adding 1 tsp of brown sugar to my oatmeal and salt at the table. Otherwise, I do not use these.
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Nearly 5 years strong on this one!
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 100% on this one, though I have been watching my family enjoy vegan treats while on vacation.
Eliminate any added oil. 100% Easy
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.100%
Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 100%
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. This one is still tricky to me. Don't know if I can trust myself or not!! I love to eat <3
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Well, I don't think I was compliant with this most days. On reflecting, I realize that though I have spent the entirety of my day outside, I have primarily been floating and wave surfing. I did go for an 11 mile kayak paddle earlier in the week, but otherwise we have been far less active than we are in Colorado, despite being outside.

Well, I feel like this is the best I've done following a strict eating plan while on vacation. I have been 100% compliant with the foods I am eating, although struggling with the preloading of salad/soup before meals due to spending lots of time outside and far from the house. Also, despite being outside for most of the day, I realize that I only spent two days meeting the exercise requirement. For next week, as we will still be on vacay, I will be more intentional about adding in cardiovascular exercise. Once we return home to Colorado, it will be no problem getting in the movement as we walk about 6 miles each day. As far as the food is concerned, I am also waiting for a return home to have more consistency with preloading and regularly scheduled meals. This afternoon I weighed in at 159.2, though this was after I had eaten (whoops), and am happy to be back in the 150s. As I have never been under 150 as an adult, I'm hoping I can break past the barrier and find myself in the 140s by mid-August! :-)
K-Squared

Postby DaisyJ » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Week 1
-1lb
Good start but anniversary yesterday so definitely OFF MWL eating yesterday :-P . Back on beginning now! Still lost weight this week. Big improvement knocking out those breads, crackers etc! And focusing on the half plate of low density fruits and vegetables.
DaisyJ

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program