January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:22 pm

MaryP wrote:Gained 2 lbs.

I know I am a day late reporting. It has been a hard week for me and I didn't want to report a gain. I wanted to be accountable though, so here I am. I am back on track and plan to stay there!

I'm glad you decided to report in! And, glad you have a renewed sense of adherence. If there are particular areas where you are running into challenges, feel free to speak up and ask for support. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:43 pm

By my count, 59 participants reported for our third January 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible).

Here are the results for the 3rd Friday in January:

Week ending 1/17/2020: 58 participants reported a total loss of 42.4 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
WholePlanetBased +5.00
Wstokes +5.00
Bruce1223 +4.20
MaryP +2.00
Moonlight +2.00
VegSeekingFit +1.60
BeTrue01 +1.00
Butterfly043 +1.00
Colleenaprn +1.00
Debsal +1.00
Deweyswakms +1.00
KatieLovesPotatoes +1.00
Pradeepa +1.00
RosieLB +0.40
Total gains: 27.20
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Laurag 0.00
Lynn Fox 0.00
Nat13 0.00
VGuzman 0.00
Kirstykay -0.20
Stillcrazy -0.30
MonicaHolly -0.40
Rukaspooka -0.40
Alishana -0.50
Stormy -0.50
Aprincess -0.60
Jiffy -0.80
JTaks -0.80
LeahMT -0.80
LynnStarr -0.80
AnnetteW -1.00
Catswcravats -1.00
Drew* -1.00
Lbell -1.00
Wild4Stars -1.00
troypohl -1.3
Johnatmh -1.40
NomeOslo -1.40
Symbas -1.40
Knt -1.50
Miss Meta -1.60
Jocewally -1.80
Michele613 -1.80
Abe -2.00
ElizabethAdams -2.00
JaBee -2.00
Larrke -2.00
Pootsy -2.00
Rlechols -2.00
BlackBeanSoup -2.20
Lynn's Husband -2.20
Pbnew -2.30
Ltolar -2.40
Jlowe -2.60
Cnmsth -3.00
KathyS -3.00
Gj1310 -3.20
Carrieann -3.30
Etoirocks -4.30
Chaz01 -5.80
Total losses: -69.60
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: -278.85 pounds
Average loss for 3rd week of January 2020: -0.7 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, January 24, 2020

I want to salute everyone who decided to participate this week! Well done! :thumbsup: It has been delightful to see the activity in the group and the enthusiasm and ideas being shared. Thank you so much for joining in!

As we move into the latter weeks of January, I want to urge everyone to focus their attention on the behaviors (exemplified by the 10-Point MWL Checklist) that will lead to your desired outcome. Don't get mired in the weeds of various minutiae - focus on the core principles and integrating them into your daily life. In Jeff's post Clarifying the 50/50 Guideline there is passage that speaks to this -
Let's face it, this program may be simple, but doing it in this world with its toxic food environment with little social, personal and environment support is nothing less than "brutal." As a result, people struggle with it and are always looking for the next "trick" that will make this easier for them. In addition, the "pull" of pleasure trap foods, even those often seen as healthy, is powerful.
The program works, as is, with minor modifications when necessary. No weighing, measuring or counting required. And as long as you follow the recommendations and guidelines, you can eat until you are comfortably full whenever you are hungry. And you will have consumed a nutritionally adequate health supporting diet.

The hard part is doing it.

Not just for today, but for this week, and month, and year and once you have done that, then, see if you can get 10 years in.

That seems like a laudable goal for next week, month, year and decade.

I also wanted to reiterate the importance of a particular principle -
JeffN wrote:9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

Please do keep this in mind, you should not be going hungry when practicing this way of eating, and meals should include a starch component. As George Sanders wrote in his Success Story -
If after one plateful of food I was still hungry I would go back for seconds, and even thirds. I never left the table hungry. Being a volume eater, this way of eating fit me perfectly. I could easily find foods that satisfied my taste buds and hunger drive. I never worried about staying full. If I got hungry I would just eat; simple as that. I didn’t worry about how many meals or snacks I had as long as the food was compliant with the program.

If you feel like you are struggling in adopting this lifestyle, you may benefit from viewing Dr. Lisle's presentation on Losing Weight Without Losing Your Mind. Since we had several participants struggling with snacks, cravings and late night eating, I also want to recommend his video on the Cram Circuit and this webinar which includes a discussion of cravings. Also of interest is this talk regarding bingeing and the Ego Trap (which also includes a discussion of cravings).

I wish you all a rewarding, successful and health-promoting week to come. Take care & be well.
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby Larrke » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am

Sorry I was unable to log-on to record my 3rd weigh-in from Friday, January 17th, I was trying to reset my password, but kept having technical problems & could not get into my account to post. I was finally able to reset & log-on this morning.

If it's not too late to post my results:

Larrke
3rd Weigh In on Jan. 17:. 231.4
- 2lbs from previous weight on Jan. 10

2 pounds lost.

Since I missed the deadline to post for this week, should I just continue to post results for the rest of January? Thanks, Larrke
Larrke

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:32 am

Larrke wrote:Sorry I was unable to log-on to record my 3rd weigh-in from Friday, January 17th, I was trying to reset my password, but kept having technical problems & could not get into my account to post. I was finally able to reset & log-on this morning.

Larrke

2 pounds lost.

Since I missed the deadline to post for this week, should I just continue to post results for the rest of January? Thanks, Larrke

No problem! I will add your results to the tally for the week. Kudos to you for your perserverance - I’m sorry you were having a difficult time logging-in. How do you feel your week went, within the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist?
Mark Cooper

Postby Larrke » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:44 pm

To be honest I have not fully embraced some of the 10 points on the checklist, especially eating salad & soup first, the ratio of starch to vegetables & the 30 minutes of daily activity. This week I will focus on those items & also try to increase my water intake. Thanks for asking.

Mark Cooper wrote:
Larrke wrote:Sorry I was unable to log-on to record my 3rd weigh-in from Friday, January 17th, I was trying to reset my password, but kept having technical problems & could not get into my account to post. I was finally able to reset & log-on this morning.

Larrke

2 pounds lost.

No problem! I will add your results to the tally for the week. Kudos to you for your perserverance - I’m sorry you were having a difficult time logging-in. How do you feel your week went, within the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist?
Larrke

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:43 pm

I thought today I would share what a typical day of eating looks like for me -

My first meal was a big salad, followed by a SNAP meal with sweet potato, peas, broccoli, kale & diced tomatoes.
ImageImage

My second meal was another big salad, followed by Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes with Lentil Gravy, & roasted vegetables.
ImageImage

I dressed my salads with a mix of lemon juice, cider vinegar & balsamic vinegar. I did sprinkle a bit of salt over both of my main dishes after I sat down to eat (cumulatively less than 1/2 teaspoon). I typically only eat two meals - around mid-morning and early evening. I'm nearly 6'3" and I exercise for about an hour daily. This works for me, adheres to the MWL 10-Point Checklist, and keeps me well satiated and able to maintain my current BMI (just under 20). I eat salads daily because I REALLY enjoy them, but as I've said previously, salad is in no way a requirement for this way of eating. Hopefully, the pics above provide a bit of visual frame of reference for an example of what a meal might look like, but different size meals and frequency might better fit different situations.

I hope you are all enjoying some wonderful meals, as we head into the new week.

Here's to a successful, health-promoting and DELICIOUS week ahead!
Mark Cooper

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm

Thank you, Mark, for taking such good care of us! :) Your food always looks so good!

I may need to figure out how to post pictures. The salads I've been making are beautiful!
moonlight

Postby Aprincess » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:14 am

I eat salads daily because I REALLY enjoy them

Isn’t that funny? I used to make salads for the family all the time. You know, the typical lettuce, tomato, cucumber salads. My husband and daughter were happy with them. If I put any salad at my place setting I would eat maybe half if any and all and the rest would get scraped into the garbage. Now, I REALLY enjoy them, too. I look forward to them everyday and they are filled with sooooo many different vegetables! We add a starch (most of the time oat groats because I struggle with cholesterol), beans, and fruit. YUM!!!!!
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:05 pm

moonlight wrote:Thank you, Mark, for taking such good care of us! :) Your food always looks so good!

I may need to figure out how to post pictures. The salads I've been making are beautiful!

Thanks, moonlight! I use flickr for my photos. You can get a free account (if you don't already have one) and then upload the images you want to share. For a specific image, if you select the share button, then BBCode, you can just cut and paste the code for the image into a post here on the forum. (You may know all this already, but I thought a quick primer might benefit everyone :D ).

Aprincess wrote:
I eat salads daily because I REALLY enjoy them

Isn’t that funny? I used to make salads for the family all the time. You know, the typical lettuce, tomato, cucumber salads. My husband and daughter were happy with them. If I put any salad at my place setting I would eat maybe half if any and all and the rest would get scraped into the garbage. Now, I REALLY enjoy them, too. I look forward to them everyday and they are filled with sooooo many different vegetables! We add a starch (most of the time oat groats because I struggle with cholesterol), beans, and fruit. YUM!!!!!

That sounds like a really fantastic salad, Amy! Mine are usually lettuce, celery, carrots, cucumber, hot peppers, tomato, orange, apple, and berries (or sometimes grapes). YUM, indeed!!! :nod:
Mark Cooper

Postby squealcat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:57 pm

Mark: I was looking at your pictures of your meals and that morning salad looked like a really good idea :idea: ! I have been thinking about vegetables at breakfast time but steamed veggies or savory oatmeal does not sound good to me. The other day I saw a recipe in my "in box" from Forks Over Knives . That salad had everything that I had in my fridge so I made it (minus the pumpkin seeds). It had quinoa (I used brown rice instead), kale, apples, winter squash and maybe some other things. It was delicious and I think I could have that for my morning meal ! I will try it this week and see if it works. Thank you for posting those pictures. It sparked my brain with a new idea :nod: !
I did not post my weight last week. I just could not face that scale :eek: but will glance at it this week and let you know. Much better this week. I feel more like myself once again.

-Marilyn (squealcat)
squealcat

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:24 am

Marilyn - That salad sounds amazing! I'm glad the pictures got you thinking. Following this way of eating when the broader landscape we are facing is so aligned in the opposite direction is a significant challenge, and setbacks and discouragement can be expected, sometimes. It can be really HARD to make (and continue making) these changes. I'm so glad you are feeling a renewed sense of capability. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby troypohl » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:23 am

January 17, 2020 Weigh-in
Male: 
Height: 5'10"

Weight: 187.3

Goal: 174

Down 1.3 lbs from last weigh in
troypohl

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:30 am

Kudos, troypohl! I've added you to the week's tally. How has the MWL Checklist been working for you?
Mark Cooper

Postby Wild4Stars » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:06 am

I may not be home, with a scale Friday morning. Would you rather I check-in Thursday morning or Saturday?
Or does it matter?
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:08 am

Wild4Stars wrote:I may not be home, with a scale Friday morning. Would you rather I check-in Thursday morning or Saturday?
Or does it matter?

Either is not a problem, so whatever works best for your schedule this week is fine. Thanks for asking!
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program